Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd rather have 3 good centres than 2.
Especially if we can trade our 3rd line winger for a very good young player.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Always appreciate your input regarding the Flyers.

If you had to chose between dealing either B Schenn, or Read and Laughton ( if those were the only choices) which would you chose?

I could see reasons for both, but I guess it boils down to the expectations of Laughton.

I would trade Brayden, even though he is the best of the 3. This would allow Couts to 2nd and Laughton is going to be the perfect 3rd line center. Problem we have now is that Couts is too good to play 3rd line, and if we trade Brayden this year we go G, Vinny, Couts and next year we go G, Couts, Laughton.

Thing I like about Brayden on Jets as I see his floor as a more physical Little and would be a killer 1-2 punch of Scheif-Brayden.

That being said, I don't want to trade any of the 3 for Buff, but who knows.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I would trade Brayden, even though he is the best of the 3. This would allow Couts to 2nd and Laughton is going to be the perfect 3rd line center. Problem we have now is that Couts is too good to play 3rd line, and if we trade Brayden this year we go G, Vinny, Couts and next year we go G, Couts, Laughton.

Thing I like about Brayden on Jets as I see his floor as a more physical Little and would be a killer 1-2 punch of Scheif-Brayden.

That being said, I don't want to trade any of the 3 for Buff, but who knows.

I wouldnt have an issue getting BSchenn, but that would require the Jets to either A) move Schenn to wing, which doesn't sound ideal. B) move Little to wing, which doesn't sound ideal because as Truck mentioned, he's a pretty decent center, and that also makes Scheif and Schenn the top two centers, and I'm not sure they could handle it right now.
The other option would be to C) keep all 3 at center, which would be my preference, but the only way that works us if Chevy goes out and gets two legitimate top 9 forwards, as it would be a waste to put either Scheif or Schenn with guys like Tangradi, Halischuck, etc. I would like for that to happen though, but considering our track record so far on getting top 9 forwards, I'm not sure how realistic it is.

Which is why I sort of like Read and Laughton. IF Laughton could be the 3C next year, it would give the Jets 8 out of 9 top 9 forwards. Lowry and Copp both get more time to develop, and either could join the team in 2015 as the 4C.

In this hypothetical world, it also allows Chevy to trade both Seto and Olli. I would then be hoping that Chevy could make a trade with the Pens for one if their LHD (Despres, Harrington, Dumolin).

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I doubt anyone thinks Little sucks as a center. Moving to the wing and back isn't the toughest thing for a center. The versatility doesn't show up in the stat sheet but in being able to shuffle guys around when injuries hit.

Pavelski has been San Jose's 3C, 2C, 1RW and 2RW in the last two years I'm pretty sure.

If we brought in a center with a bit more size with a similar skill level an two way game, and used Little in this same way it could make us better as a team. Depending on the center of course.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Apparently the bruins are looking at trading Malcolm Subban as a chip for a Defenseman to replace Seidenberg. Any Idea what we could trade to fill that need?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Apparently the bruins are looking at trading Malcolm Subban as a chip for a Defenseman to replace Seidenberg. Any Idea what we could trade to fill that need?

I wouldn't want to try.

I'd rather just hedge the bet on Hellebuyck and Comrie (and others) rather than give up assets for Subban. If I'm giving up assets for a goalie, especially the type the Bruins want, as in NHL starters. The goalie better be a proven NHL contributer.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

Kind of pointless for the Jets. Subban is only a year or two ahead of our best goaltending prospects and his upside is not significantly higher than theirs.

Subban is a good piece for a team with nothing in the pipeline and an older NHL starter or none at all. The Jets aren't such a team. IMO they'd be better off taking a shot at a guy in his mid to late 20s to be a stopgap until we know what we have in our prospects.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
What's with Maurice saying there are 2-3 guys on the roster who won't be around much longer?

Tangradi and who else.

• Pavelec (please)
  • Tangradi
  • Jokinen has improved over last year, but that's not saying much
  • What has Setoguchi done for us recently
  • We have a glut of "depth defensemen"

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
What's with Maurice saying there are 2-3 guys on the roster who won't be around much longer?

Tangradi and who else.

Well with Halischuk, Slater and Kane coming off IR we'll have 24 players on our roster, at least one player will have to be waived or traded very soon. Don't know if that's what he meant but it'd be my guess.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I doubt anyone thinks Little sucks as a center. Moving to the wing and back isn't the toughest thing for a center. The versatility doesn't show up in the stat sheet but in being able to shuffle guys around when injuries hit.

Pavelski has been San Jose's 3C, 2C, 1RW and 2RW in the last two years I'm pretty sure.

If we brought in a center with a bit more size with a similar skill level an two way game, and used Little in this same way it could make us better as a team. Depending on the center of course.

I was thinking along these lines. Everyone wants to lock everything in stone. It just doesn't work that way. As a starting point Scheifele, Schenn and Little makes us pretty strong down the middle, but not as strong as a lot of true contenders. Ideally we eventually get enough middle 6 forwards to round the lines out properly, but something like this helps us become more competitive over the long term. In the mean time Little's flexibility is a bonus to us. If we can get a helpful add from the Flyers I'd pull the trigger on a deal like this.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Jets would be idiots not to go for a B. Schenn for Buff trade IMO. With 3 centres of Scheif, Schenn and Little, this team would be well on it's way to being playoff bound for years to come. We have Postma, Redmond, Morrissey and maybe Kichton coming up. D-men should not be a problem.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
You mean as ridiculous as a forward trying to play defense

LOL! Buff's the Jets version of the Toyota Prius, environmentally friendly on defence and at forward a more aerodynamic wide body that balances length and wind resistance, resulting in a drag coefficient of Cd=0.26. Also great on the PP.:D

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I miss the days when the return from the Flyers for Buff was Schenn +.

Schenn + Voracek
Schenn + Schenn
Schenn + Couturier
Schenn + Simmonds

Sigh. Those were the days. Now we're content with just a Schenn.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I miss the days when the return from the Flyers for Buff was Schenn +.

Schenn + Voracek
Schenn + Schenn
Schenn + Couturier
Schenn + Simmonds

Sigh. Those were the days. Now we're content with just a Schenn.

I can't remember a time when any of those were true besides Schenn X2.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
According to the Buffalo News, the Jets had two scouts at the Sabres game last night. If my memory serves correctly, I don't think it's the first time. Any idea who you guys would be targeting? My best guess is Stafford, as there were rumors about him going to Winnipeg last deadline.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
What would the fine folks in here think of Korpikoski and Gormley as a return for Buff this summer? I was going through the rosters of NYR/PHI and I can't see anything that would work. I saw Derek Morris was UFA for Phoenix so they might look at replacing him. They'd still have Summers and Rundblad as young, NHL ready prospects on D and we'd fill two needs.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I can't remember a time when any of those were true besides Schenn X2.

Oh I know that, just that our approach to the return on Buff was more savory, that's all. I think the Schenn x2 was the only realistic one as well but that didn't stop the conversations about Buff for a second pairing D-man and a top six forward. This Buff for one player in return stuff would be so out of place on the trade board. The notion of a fan base being realistic? Absurd. ;)

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
What would the fine folks in here think of Korpikoski and Gormley as a return for Buff this summer? I was going through the rosters of NYR/PHI and I can't see anything that would work. I saw Derek Morris was UFA for Phoenix so they might look at replacing him. They'd still have Summers and Rundblad as young, NHL ready prospects on D and we'd fill two needs.

ooo....that's not bad. Korps a great third line winger and good PK'r. same age'etc as laddy. Hows Gromley progressing? It's starting to get close tot he "hand wringing' age isn't it?

i might want more since Gromley isn't a for sure thing i'd prefer maybe a bit better of a winger then Korp or something added. But that's pretty good.

But holy hell that would be a run and gun D for Pheonix, OEL, Yandle, and Buff?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I don't think the Coyotes would want to spend the money they have on Buff when they need more scoring help at forward. Like you said, with OEl and Yandle already there, Buff isn't a need for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille