Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

I'd love to proven wrong, but I think that it'll be unlikely simply due to cap restrictions after signing Bogo and Wheeler. Imagine though:

LLW
Kane - Grabo - Gooch
Halischuk - Scheifele - Frolik
Tangradi - Slater - Wright/Peluso

Need a spot for Jokinen - it would most likely end up with Scheifele in the A. The speed of that second line would be ridiculous. The speed of the overall team would be quite nice. Tangradi is probably the slowest of that bunch.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
http://m.thn.com/?content=50691b55033bed3b22dc44d4000fbe6c&section=features-rumour_roundup

THN thinks Jets are likely destination for Grabo.

Maybe Grabo isn't negotiating until he's back from his honeymoon, and that's holding up the Jets' deals with Wheeler & Bogo (potential cap issues)...?

I'd be surprised if the Jets were after Grabo. He had that scathing rant about TNSE good ol' boy Randy Carlyle...not the kind of character this organization is supposed to be hot for.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'd be surprised if the Jets were after Grabo. He had that scathing rant about TNSE good ol' boy Randy Carlyle...not the kind of character this organization is supposed to be hot for.

To be fair, Randy Carlyle did utilize him poorly. Really poorly, in fact. I wouldn't hold that against Grabo, as it's the sign of a really frustrated player.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
http://m.thn.com/?content=50691b55033bed3b22dc44d4000fbe6c&section=features-rumour_roundup

THN thinks Jets are likely destination for Grabo.

Maybe Grabo isn't negotiating until he's back from his honeymoon, and that's holding up the Jets' deals with Wheeler & Bogo (potential cap issues)...?

I believe Grabovski's agent said he likely wouldn't sign with anyone until August. Pretty fitting if it is us as our arbitration dates with Wheeler and Bogosian extend from the end of July to the start of August. But, I'm sure plenty of teams can say the same.

I'd still love Grabovski here. Legit top 6 forward. And, if Scheifele can't crack the top 6-9, then obviously he doesn't deserve to be here. I want the best team on the ice, period. Worst case, Scheifele spends the year in the AHL and then knocks down the door in 2014-2015 as Jokinen's deal expires.

It's a win-win whichever way, in my opinion. But, we will get injuries at some point, so even if Scheif doesn't crack the team from the get-go, there's a good chance he gets an opportunity to earn a spot at some point. The competition and depth would be quite nice with the addition of Grabovski. We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Ok then. Good to know. Although I'm not sure that would really change things though but who knows. :dunno:

It really shouldn't, but every organization has their "guys". To say that Grabovski doesn't seem like a TNSE kind of guy would be an understatement.

Agree though, who really knows. Chevy tried to acquire Zherdev back in 2011, and he has a whole laundry list of character concerns.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Ah well. It was nice to dream about Grabo on the Jets. I didn't think it very likely, given what our C depth looks like right now.

What C depth? The Jets have a #2C playing a #1 role (Little), a bag of pucks (Jokinen), a solid #3/4 C (Slater) and a guy we're not even sure if he's ready for the big club (Scheif).

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
What C depth? The Jets have a #2C playing a #1 role (Little), a bag of pucks (Jokinen), a solid #3/4 C (Slater) and a guy we're not even sure if he's ready for the big club (Scheif).

Uh huh. Grabo would be too expensive for our roster after we sign Wheeler and Bogo to contracts, and I didn't say we had deep C depth. Joker is ours for another year, TNSE and Jets fans want Scheifele to assume a good role with the club this year, Little can survive playing 1C for another season, and Slater is a good 4c. Grabo would have been great to have, but it wasn't looking likely, given the logistics of the cap and roster makeup.

PostmanPat1919

Jul 18, 2011
Uh huh. Grabo would be too expensive for our roster after we sign Wheeler and Bogo to contracts, and I didn't say we had deep C depth. Joker is ours for another year, TNSE and Jets fans want Scheifele to assume a good role with the club this year, Little can survive playing 1C for another season, and Slater is a good 4c. Grabo would have been great to have, but it wasn't looking likely, given the logistics of the cap and roster makeup.

The real limitation is the cap, which will be tight once Wheeler and Bogosian are signed. If we had the space then Grabovski would be a great fit here in Winnipeg. We don't have depth down the middle. Little makes due as a 1C and Slater doesn't work as any more than a checking line centre. Jokinen is a mystery, he may or may not improve over last season. Scheifele can't be expected to fill a role on the main squad, and we shouldn't set up the roster in a manner in which he has to make the team for us to roll 4 decent lines. I'd rather see Scheifele start the season in the AHL anyways and see how he does there before pushing him into an NHL role.

Antropov is still available, I think we might be able to afford the cap space to bring him in for a year.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
The real limitation is the cap, which will be tight once Wheeler and Bogosian are signed. If we had the space then Grabovski would be a great fit here in Winnipeg. We don't have depth down the middle. Little makes due as a 1C and Slater doesn't work as any more than a checking line centre. Jokinen is a mystery, he may or may not improve over last season. Scheifele can't be expected to fill a role on the main squad, and we shouldn't set up the roster in a manner in which he has to make the team for us to roll 4 decent lines. I'd rather see Scheifele start the season in the AHL anyways and see how he does there before pushing him into an NHL role.

Antropov is still available, I think we might be able to afford the cap space to bring him in for a year.

I like the idea of the Jets re-signing Antropov for more forward depth. He can play any forward position. 1 year for $2M would hopefully do it.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
:laugh: Too true.

Would be funny if Chevy quietly signed him. We are getting rid of a few old Leafs players - have to replenish the stock. ;)

Yeah we need a outlet more.
Beyak would be lost with saying someone was an ex leaf 164626296217 times a game

Last edited:

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

Haha, on 1290 H+L this afternoon Lawless brought up this exact point. I guess he reads HF in the afternoons

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
leafs fan coming in peace. Can anyone tell me why hainsey is still a UFA? i was under the impression that he was an above average defender

PostmanPat1919

Jul 18, 2011
leafs fan coming in peace. Can anyone tell me why hainsey is still a UFA? i was under the impression that he was an above average defender

Lots of teams are hugging the cap at the moment. I think that above all is the reason why Hainsey hasn't found a team yet.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Lots of teams are hugging the cap at the moment. I think that above all is the reason why Hainsey hasn't found a team yet.

There's no way to corroborate this, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hainsey has been blackballed by the NHL Owners in this. All it takes is 2 or 3 really powerful ones to start a trend.

Of course, there's that rumour that Hainsey has been contacted by the Hurricanes to sign with them, but are waiting on freeing up cap space first.

*shrugs*

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

It's the cap going down IMHO

Seems like there are a few guys stuck in limbo. My guess he, along with a few others, may take a 1 year deal and try again next year when the cap may be going back up. Ron is polarizing on our board but I thought he did a solid job for us last year in a thankless role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad