Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why do people say this? Where does all the Bogosian likes it here talk come from? Do we actually know this to be true?

Bogosian has been in the city plenty this summer so far. I saw him at a gala a couple of weeks back, he was here for the golf tournament and I've heard other instances of him being around. So his actions seem to line up with him liking it here. I'm not saying that he will take a massive discount or anything but I believe that he is being honest with regards to his comments.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
A player can be 100% honest about liking a city, the fans, etc, and still not agree to a home town discount. In the end, its a business and a contract negotiation, and these guys only have so long to earn their dosh plying their trade.

Olsen

Jul 9, 2013
One thing that bothers me in generally is the selfishness of these athletes. They make a ******** of money over the course of their careers and they still put their interest in money over the future of the whole team. A lot of people would do the same, maybe even the majority. But with this amount of money already in the bank, i would look what's the best for me AND the team in regards of winning the stanley cup. For winning the stanley cup, the team needs high end talent and depth, but that's just possible, if there is enough room to make this happen. If we lock up a guy like Bryan Little for 5Mil+, even worse with a long-term-contract, we're pretty much screwed. He's just not worth this kind of money. He is a good second line center, no more or less.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
One thing that bothers me in generally is the selfishness of these athletes. They make a ******** of money over the course of their careers and they still put their interest in money over the future of the whole team. A lot of people would do the same, maybe even the majority. But with this amount of money already in the bank, i would look what's the best for me AND the team in regards of winning the stanley cup. For winning the stanley cup, the team needs high end talent and depth, but that's just possible, if there is enough room to make this happen. If we lock up a guy like Bryan Little for 5Mio+, even worse with a long-term-contract, we're pretty much screwed. He's just not worth this kind of money. He is a good second line center, no more or less.

Maybe??? :laugh: Oh boy. Yeah, it's not maybe, it's for certain.

No we're not. It wouldn't be ideal, but we'd be far from screwed.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
One thing that bothers me in generally is the selfishness of these athletes. They make a ******** of money over the course of their careers and they still put their interest in money over the future of the whole team. A lot of people would do the same, maybe even the majority. But with this amount of money already in the bank, i would look what's the best for me AND the team in regards of winning the stanley cup. For winning the stanley cup, the team needs high end talent and depth, but that's just possible, if there is enough room to make this happen. If we lock up a guy like Bryan Little for 5Mio+, even worse with a long-term-contract, we're pretty much screwed. He's just not worth this kind of money. He is a good second line center, no more or less.

Nonsense. It isn't a players job to play capologist. The GM decides what each role should be paid.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
To give them a little more money to work with signing other players as good as yourself (for example Bogosian) to win that big ugly thing babies pooped into.

Come on guys :laugh: It happens and why shouldn't there be at least ONE player doing it for the Jets? Even if he doesn't ... I (and others) am not saying he WILL do it, but I (and others) could see him doing it.

I could see it if the team were ready to contend...but the Jets/Thrashers haven't been in the playoffs in a long time. They look ready to make that jump, but I don't think it's at the stage where guys are taking discounts to be part of the magic.

I do believe Bogo likes it here. Then again, you ever see that video from his rookie year in Atlanta where he claims his favorite music is hip-hop? :)

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I could see it if the team were ready to contend...but the Jets/Thrashers haven't been in the playoffs in a long time. They look ready to make that jump, but I don't think it's at the stage where guys are taking discounts to be part of the magic.

I do believe Bogo likes it here. Then again, you ever see that video from his rookie year in Atlanta where he claims his favorite music is hip-hop? :)

I remember it, yes. But it was only a couple of months after he was drafted and 18 years old (AFAIK). I doubt that was more the real person he is as the person he shows to be now.

And if SOMEBODY would read my post correctly, you'd have seen that I said I could see him sign a discount "when he turns UFA", not NOW. And as I had to say three times now: I COULD see him doing it. More than any other players on our roster.

But after all maybe it's a german thing and doesn't work with the focused thinking of capitalism in north america to think that a good team is more valuable as 1 M more or less if you already earned more than enough money for the rest of your life (looking at User Bogosian and Dirk Nowitzki). :sarcasm:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I remember it, yes. But it was only a couple of months after he was drafted and 18 years old (AFAIK). I doubt that was more the real person he is as the person he shows to be now.

And if SOMEBODY would read my post correctly, you'd have seen that I said I could see him sign a discount "when he turns UFA", not NOW. And as I had to say three times now: I COULD see him doing it. More than any other players on our roster.

But after all maybe it's a german thing and doesn't work with the focused thinking of capitalism in north america to think that a good team is more valuable as 1 M more or less if you already earned more than enough money for the rest of your life (looking at User Bogosian and Dirk Nowitzki). :sarcasm:

its your accent, we must not be able to make it out with that thick german drawl. ;)

Olsen

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe??? :laugh: Oh boy. Yeah, it's not maybe, it's for certain.

No we're not. It wouldn't be ideal, but we'd be far from screwed.

And that's a big problem! If a guy like Paul Bissonnette is looking for a new "big" contract, i'm fine with this, he needs to take the best he can get to take care of himself/family. But in the top-tier-area, i just can't get it. Every player dreams about the stanley cup and yet they would take the money instead.

And yeah, i agree, we'd be far from screwed. But as you said, it's just not ideal. We'd have a hard time to trade him if needed and i just don't like to pay a second-line-center this kind of money.

Nonsense. It isn't a players job to play capologist. The GM decides what each role should be paid.

Nonsense? Not Really. But that's the kind of thinking i've expected (as i said - majority). To some people it's not all about the money and i am one of them. I would take the 4Mil (and starving to death :sarcasm:) to give the team a bit more room for building a true stanley cup contender.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
And that's a big problem! If a guy like Paul Bissonnette is looking for a new "big" contract, i'm fine with this, he needs to take the best he can get to take care of himself/family. But in the top-tier-area, i just can't get it. Every player dreams about the stanley cup and yet they would take the money instead.

And yeah, i agree, we'd be far from screwed. But as you said, it's just not ideal. We'd have a hard time to trade him if needed and i just don't like to pay a second-line-center this kind of money.

Nonsense? Not Really. But that's the kind of thinking i've expected (as i said - majority). To some people it's not all about the money and i am one of them. I would take the 4Mio (and starving to death :sarcasm:) to give the team a bit more room for building a true stanley cup contender.

Remember, taxes take 40% right off the top so you may actually starve to death with only 2.4 million take home pay. ;)

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa

One other thing to consider: there is a tremendous amount of pressure put on these guys by their agents and the NHLPA to NOT sign a deal for less than they are worth on the open market. "A rising tide raises all ships" as they say.

So really, they ARE thinking of someone other than themselves - they're looking out for their union brethren, too.

Olsen

Jul 9, 2013
Remember, taxes take 40% right off the top so you may actually starve to death with only 2.4 million take home pay. ;)

That may be true, but it's still a a lot of money, especially with an long-term-contract. And don't get me wrong, a guy like Little deserves 4Mil, maybe a bit more and i don't "force" him to pull a Dupuis (what did he get before his last extension? 1,5Mil?), but 5,5Mil (if true) is just ridiculous and mind boggling, at least in my opinion. I hope it's just the typical start of an negotiation. As much as i would like to lock him up, a 5Mil contract would leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
That may be true, but it's still a a lot of money, especially with an long-term-contract. And don't get me wrong, a guy like Little deservers 4Mio, maybe a bit more and i don't "force" him to pull a Dupuis (what did he get before his last extension? 1,5Mio?), but 5,5Mio (if true) is just ridiculous and mind boggling, at least in my opinion. I hope it's just the typical start of an negotiation. As much as i would like to lock him up, a 5Mio contract would leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

I promise you it won't be 5+M

Großes Indianerehrenwort!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Why do people say this? Where does all the Bogosian likes it here talk come from? Do we actually know this to be true?

I've heard it from someone who is very close to him.

Besides, this area suits his lifestyle. He isn't a party animal, clubber or big city guy. He likes to hunt, fish, and go to the lake. He spends quite a bit of time here in the offseason.

As for Little and Wheeler, although people calmed me somewhat about this, I still worry their endgames all along have been to get a 1 year deal to get to UFA. It only makes sense from a business perspective. Even if they both like it here, once they get to UFA of course all bets are off. I am really hoping they both get signed to 4 or 5 year deals.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

Besides, this area suits his lifestyle. He isn't a party animal, clubber or big city guy. He likes to hunt, fish, and go to the lake. He spends quite a bit of time here in the offseason.

As for Little and Wheeler, although people calmed me somewhat about this, I still worry their endgames all along have been to get a 1 year deal to get to UFA. It only makes sense from a business perspective. Even if they both like it here, once they get to UFA of course all bets are off. I am really hoping they both get signed to 4 or 5 year deals.

Thanks backing me up ;)

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012

You are correct- Bogo does like it out here;). He is an avid outdoorsman. As for the clubbing and night life- low key as every pro should be. Not a party animal- I beg to differ. The one benefit of the lock out was he was here getting therapy while his teammates were off doing there thing. He got to know the city/country/fans and made friends. I hope he and his management can get this resolved soon. He will be an awesome Jets player/spokesperson for many years.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Scott Brown ‏@BrownScottTN 23s
#NHLJets agree to terms with centre Bryan Little.

jetkarma*

Scott Brown ‏@BrownScottTN 23s
#NHLJets agree to terms with centre Bryan Little.

Good news , but the fretting was not needed imo.

Jets will sign all three , and we just got number one done :)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would take Little and Wheeler for 6 years if we could get them at those numbers. I think most forecasts have the cap really going up right away.

I originally thought Bogo was a lock for 5.5, but can Bogo really ask for more than McDonnagh and Shattenkirk? And 1.7 more than Hamonic?

Important days for the Jets for sure.

Yep. IMO Bogo is worth more than Shattenkirk. McDonnagh is a good comparable. But I'm sure Bogo's agent will argue that Mcdonnagh took a big time hair cut to stay with the *** against the cap Rangers. As much as my client loves the city he isn't interested in taking the same discount to stay with the Winnipeg Jets. The Rangers only have $ 3.3 M of cap space to sign Stepan, and then have guys like Lundqvist, Girardi, MDZ, Callahan, Kreider & Boyle hitting free agency next year.

FlyingW

Jun 9, 2013
Winnipeg
One thing that bothers me in generally is the selfishness of these athletes. They make a ******** of money over the course of their careers and they still put their interest in money over the future of the whole team. A lot of people would do the same, maybe even the majority. But with this amount of money already in the bank, i would look what's the best for me AND the team in regards of winning the stanley cup. For winning the stanley cup, the team needs high end talent and depth, but that's just possible, if there is enough room to make this happen. If we lock up a guy like Bryan Little for 5Mil+, even worse with a long-term-contract, we're pretty much screwed. He's just not worth this kind of money. He is a good second line center, no more or less.

Ummmmm, do you tell your boss to keep half of your raise each year because it is too much?

Olsen

Jul 9, 2013
Ummmmm, do you tell your boss to keep half of your raise each year because it is too much?

No, because i'm not in the position where i'm making millions each and every year, that's a big difference. I really don't unterstand the fuss that i've unleashed here. :laugh: If you made millions of dollars, you probably would quit your job (unless you're a workaholic) and fulfill your dreams, whatever that means for you. The only difference between us and hockey players is, that their dreams depend on the quality of the Team and if i have the chance to improve the team not only on the ice, but even off the ice, i would go for it. And as i stated before, this counts only for the top-tier-player, because they could do such a thing and it would'nt even hurt them. But never mind, i guess it's all said and done, we should move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany