Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Heard from a completely reliable source that Buff is on a mission and he is in the best shape a few guys have ever seen him in. :handclap:

If a mod needs to PM me to validate that is cool

I think you are full if **** :sarcasm:

That is fantastic news.
I agree with Duke that if he is in great shape, then he could be one of if not the best D man I the league

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Amazing news on Buff!!! I've been a proponent of dealing him for forward help, but I've been even more of a proponent of him getting his ass in shape and winning a Norris right here in the Peg!

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Heard from a completely reliable source that Buff is on a mission and he is in the best shape a few guys have ever seen him in. :handclap:

This is awesome to hear!

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Like it or not, Tangradi is better than Wright. Tangradi is bigger, faster, better hands, wins more battles. The stats guys would back me I am sure. Honestly I would let them fight it out for the #4 LW spot beside Slater - Thorburn/Peluso. Loser goes to AHL/#13 FWD.
I don't think Tanger is faster or better on the boards. Tanger kinda lumbers. Wright has surprising quickness for his size.

I see Wright as a pure defensive forward. He helps lower shots against, but is a null offensively.

Tangradi obviously has more offensive skill and factors better into a transition game.

I'd break it down this way - Wright can be an OK complimentary player. If someone can put the puck in the O zone, he will help keep it there... but I don't see much value in his game outside a 4th line PK role. Tanger appears to be capable of more.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011

That's awesome that will allow us to sell high on him during the year or at the deadline even if he's in great shape there is no way he will sustain it.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Wright is really skinny. He almost looks like an awkward overgrown teenager. At the draft party he looked kinda funny beside Stuart, who is decently thick.

I wonder what would happen if Wright put on some weight, and be more of a phyiscal player.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
i really like wright. he works hard, checks hard, is great defensively on the PK.

outside of a winger for kane - i think shoring up the bottom six may be the biggest thing for this team now going forward. looking at the depth of the final four teams in the playoffs this year was disgusting...

i also think those are the moves we are most likely to make. there are some decent guys available for the 3rd line, that could do spot duty on the 2nd if needed.

but.... no matter who i picture us signing, and what combination of lines i dream up... there is always one problem.... where to put jokinen.. he just doesnt fit. and he is going to be on the team. ugh just frustrating

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

He will go a LONG way in winning me back if he comes to camp a leaner meaner Buff.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
It slides until he's eligible to be a UFA. 7 years service or age 27, but there are certain exceptions to the rule.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm kinda getting excited here. The past couple off-seasons were tense because of all the holes on the roster, we didn't have any idea what would happen. If you look at our current roster, and our RFAs, you'll realize we're pretty full already. If you give the big 3 $15 million, and Burmi $1.5, and the rest of the qualified NHL RFAs minimum raises(not likely but bear with me) including O'Dell, you get this:

Code:
My Custom Lineup

[B]FORWARDS[/B]

Andrew Ladd ($4.400m)   / Bryan Little ($5.000m)               / Blake Wheeler ($5.000m)
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Olli Jokinen ($4.500m)                / Michael Frolik ($2.333m)
Eric O'Dell ($0.660m)      / Alexander Burmistrov ($1.500m) / Mark Scheifele ($1.563m)
James Wright ($0.650m) / Jim Slater ($1.600m)                 / Chris Thorburn ($0.867m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.762m)  / Anthony Peluso ($0.666m)

[B]DEFENSEMEN[/B]

Tobias Enstrom ($5.750m)  / Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)
Grant Clitsome ($2.067m)   / Zach Bogosian ($5.000m)
Mark Stuart ($1.700m)       / Jacob Trouba ($1.828m)
Arturs Kulda ($0.605m)     / Zach Redmond ($0.715m)
Paul Postma ($0.605m)
[B]
GOALTENDERS[/B]

Ondrej Pavelec ($3.900m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000
CAP PAYROLL: $62,120,300
BONUSES: $1,225,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $3,404,700

Take away Scheif and Trouba, that frees up two spots (one needed for a backup) and gives us $5.57 million to play with. There are problems however:

1) We have a full roster and nobody is exempt from waivers
2) Marginal NHL players and even young prospects value are at an all time low
3) No roster space to call up Scheifele or Trouba without losing a player to waivers or trade
4) There really isn't a lot of cap space room to pick up a good #4 LHD and a good backup without trades, of which D is most likely

Last edited:

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Take away Scheif and Trouba, that frees up two spots (one needed for a backup) and gives us $5.57 million to play with. There are problems however:

1) We have a full roster and nobody is exempt from waivers
2) Marginal NHL players and even young prospects value are at an all time low
3) No roster space to call up Scheifele or Trouba without losing a player to waivers or trade
4) There really isn't a lot of cap space room to pick up a good #4 LHD and a good backup without trades, of which D is most likely
Including qualified RFAs, we have 8 centres...
  • Burmistrov
  • Cormier
  • Jokinen
  • Little
  • O'Dell
  • Scheifele
  • Slater
  • Wright
Has Jokinen recovered from his injury? If not, we won't be able to do a compliance buyout on him. We can probably shuttle him back and forth to St John's during the season, and dare anybody to take him on waivers :naughty: Ditto for Thorburn. I don't see either of them being tradable.

Slater probably isn't in our long-term plans, and might be the most expendable+tradeable of the lot. He has 2 seasons remaining at $1.6 million, and turns 31 by year-end. What can we get for him?

I could see Burmistrov/Scheifele/O'Dell being tried out as wingers, out of desparation.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I forgot about Cormier, he is no longer waiver exempt correct? Maybe now is the time to move Slater if we can.

edit:

This means... we will be feeding the waiver system!

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
According to http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=6772 Kubalik "Signed with HC Lev Praha (KHL)" last month. What happens to his RFA status, if he ever comes back to the NHL/AHL? Does RFA status "slide" indefinitely?

It slides until he's eligible to be a UFA. 7 years service or age 27, but there are certain exceptions to the rule.

Kubalik will be eligible for Group VI UFA status, meaning we will only retain his rights until he is 25 (two more years).

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Lawless? Is that you?

The more I think about this i bet Buff is trying to put himself in a position to be considered for the US Olympic team it's a bit of a long shot considering they will be playing on the big ice surface but I'm sure Buff probably thinks its his last chance to even be considered.

poltRgYst

Jun 18, 2013
Doesn't Wright become expendable with Frolik now on board? Don't need to waste a 4th liner on the PK...Frolik will take that spot. At worse Frolik is on our 3rd line.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Doesn't Wright become expendable with Frolik now on board? Don't need to waste a 4th liner on the PK...Frolik will take that spot. At worse Frolik is on our 3rd line.

Wright is a 4th line LW and Frolik is a 3rd line RW... I don't really understand why they'd take the spot of each other.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Winnipeg Jets ‏@NHLJets 2m

Chevy: The interview period (for UFAs) has started and we are active and are having conversations that will be ongoing.

Chevy actually said something? Gave a bit of info? Well, that's exciting. Kind of. Sorta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA