Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I have a strange feeling Chevy is going to make a waiver claim this week.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
How comfortable would you guys be with picking up no D-men in UFA or trades?

Enstrom - Buff
Kulda - Bogosian
Stuart - Redmond
Postma

Trouba as emergency callup

Swap Kulda for Clitsome and that's my prediction of the lineup we'll see at camp.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Tangradi? Really? He will assuredly get a QO he played decent enough last year. Why not at least qualify him, at worst hes decent depth in st. Johns if he clears waivers.

4 points in 36 games decent enough? To me that doesn't get a minimum contract, never mind a QO with a 10% raise.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I was really down on Tangradi last season when it became all too apparent he wasn't producing in Winnipeg, either. His play did improve and he did embrace a checking role, and did fairly well, in my opinion. Still not 100% sold on him but we'll see. If he can further embrace what he started showing last season then maybe he carves out a role for himself here. If not, he should be easily replaced, in my opinion. At the end of the day for me, if he is going to be in the top 9 in a third line role, he will need to produce more than he has shown to date in his career.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
So Ballard is on waivers.

Despite the flak he gets I'd actually consider putting in a claim and making Ballard-Bogosian our solid tough minutes pairing. Or we could wait it out and see if they put him on waivers for a buyout and attempt to get him cheaper through FA.

If we were looking to pick up a LHD on waivers, I think I'd rather pick up Russell than Ballard. MUCH cheaper. And Russell is a very good skater as well. Doesn't look like he has put it all together in the NHL, but he does have talent. He's played in two world juniors and two world championships. Considering his last contract was for 1.3 and he just was put on waivers, I would think he would sign for a million. Russell at 1 million vs Ballard at 4.2 million seems like a slam dunk to me.

Unless Garret runs the numbers and shows Ballard to be statistically superior. ;)

Although we may just role with Enstrom, Clitsome, Kulda, and Stuart on the left next year, who knows.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I was really down on Tangradi last season when it became all too apparent he wasn't producing in Winnipeg, either. His play did improve and he did embrace a checking role, and did fairly well, in my opinion. Still not 100% sold on him but we'll see. If he can further embrace what he started showing last season then maybe he carves out a role for himself here. If not, he should be easily replaced, in my opinion. At the end of the day for me, if he is going to be in the top 9 in a third line role, he will need to produce more than he has shown to date in his career.

We already have Wright, Slater, and Thorburn under contract for that role, and possibly Peluso if he's extended. I see no reason to keep Tangradi, I think his NHL career is done.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
No, I'd rather go for guys like Brunner, PMB, Boyes, or even Stalberg. Can get good value out of those guys, unlike Horton and Clarkson. Those two guys are going to be overpaid for what they are, and likely won't fit well with Kane. What's the point of adding a puck hog to a line with Kane and Jokinen?

Kane-Jokinen-Clarkson would be the most selfish line the NHL has ever seen.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I feel as though the 2nd line right wing slot will be attempted to be filled via trade rather than signing, I don't really see us as being in on the bigger name wingers.

I think we may look to add one or two more bottom-6y sorta forwards who could maybe do spot duty on the 2nd line similar to Frolik, but contract numbers will be too high for the UFA's.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
You might be surprised what the 2nd tier RW players go for, like the ones I mentioned. Not all teams are looking for RW, and some are but have no room. The market is as small as it's going to be in recent memory. Telling them they can feed Kane the puck might be enticing as well.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
No, I'd rather go for guys like Brunner, PMB, Boyes, or even Stalberg. Can get good value out of those guys, unlike Horton and Clarkson. Those two guys are going to be overpaid for what they are, and likely won't fit well with Kane. What's the point of adding a puck hog to a line with Kane and Jokinen?

Kane-Jokinen-Clarkson would be the most selfish line the NHL has ever seen.

I feel as though the 2nd line right wing slot will be attempted to be filled via trade rather than signing, I don't really see us as being in on the bigger name wingers.

I think we may look to add one or two more bottom-6y sorta forwards who could maybe do spot duty on the 2nd line similar to Frolik, but contract numbers will be too high for the UFA's.

Agreed. Really want us to get that bottom 6 set up well. Think we need a little more toughness down there.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
If we were looking to pick up a LHD on waivers, I think I'd rather pick up Russell than Ballard. MUCH cheaper. And Russell is a very good skater as well. Doesn't look like he has put it all together in the NHL, but he does have talent. He's played in two world juniors and two world championships. Considering his last contract was for 1.3 and he just was put on waivers, I would think he would sign for a million. Russell at 1 million vs Ballard at 4.2 million seems like a slam dunk to me.

Unless Garret runs the numbers and shows Ballard to be statistically superior. ;)

Although we may just role with Enstrom, Clitsome, Kulda, and Stuart on the left next year, who knows.

Yep to Russell for cheap.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
How comfortable would you guys be with picking up no D-men in UFA or trades?

Enstrom - Buff
Kulda - Bogosian
Stuart - Redmond
Postma

Trouba as emergency callup

I'd be very surprised if Trouba isn't on the team ahead of Redmond, Kulda and Postma. Assuming Kulda is even around.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'd be very surprised if Trouba isn't on the team ahead of Redmond, Kulda and Postma. Assuming Kulda is even around.

The problem is only Trouba is waiver exempt. Our forwards are easy, just add a guy or two. It's the D-core that he needs to make choices. 3 vets under contract, 1 needing a big contract, 3 RFAs knocking on the door, and a phenom with an ELC. What to do.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd be interested in picking up Jeff Shultz once he's bought out by Washington.

6'6" 227lbs. 27 years old, 6 year veteran of the NHL. Barring any injuries I don't know about his playing style is just what the Jets need.

I'd grab him and waive Stuart in a New York minute.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

6'6" 227lbs. 27 years old, 6 year veteran of the NHL. Barring any injuries I don't know about his playing style is just what the Jets need.

I think I'd rather have Stuart to be honest. I know you don't want penalties, but how does a big defensive D man get 12 minutes in penalties the last 3 years?

jetkarma*

Why waive him? he should have some trade value .

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

Schultz is brutal. Acquiring him as our 7th defenceman would be a mistake, let alone dumping someone like Stuart for him.

By no means is Stuart a prize, he is very limited, but Schultz has all the same limitations, plus a few more. He also plays with zero physicality or edge.

He's big and as a result has decent reach, but in every other aspect he is, at best, only as good as Stuart. In most he is flat out worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad