Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
This team shouldn't miss the playoffs this year either.

I have faith. We were not as bad as our record a d were only getting better

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Agreed. Last year was last year. If the team can gel quick enough, even with how young we are we can get back in.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It is doable, but it will require some juggling. This season will see the Jets make a jump up in using their own cap space. According to Cap Friendly the Jets have a projected $19.7 M of cap space with 18 players under contract. Taking Datsyuk's contract brings that down to $12.2 M. Yet we still need to sign Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry, and Armia. Also if the Wings are adding to Datsyuk you need to take on that player's salary as well. Let's say we also get Jurco as rumored and his cap friendly $900,000 we now have $11.3 space. IMO it is close to an absolute certainty the Jets will want to sign Scheif long term, and most estimates are in the $6 M range. Now you are down to $5.3 to get Trouba, Lowry and Armia under contract. This is only possible if you squeeze Trouba on a bridge or move him. But you could sign him long term if you move out Stafford's contract. I'd be in for this. Then you could sign Trouba long term and have enough for Lowry and Armia. Maybe with a million or 2 to spare.

But bottom line taking on Datsyuk's contract is not necessary easy and will essentially make the Jets a cap team and they will have to start being creative to fit the contracts they want under the cap.

But only for 1 year. The measures required to get the room are all things that should be done anyway. The space isn't necessarily just sitting there right now though unless Stafford is moved.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
so, goaltending.
there was an article (Garrett can post the link...can't find it) about signing Hutch to a 2 year deal so we can have a goalie available for the expansion draft.

The problem is this: what do you do with this year's goalie situation?
unless Helle craps the bed in camp, you assume he'll make the team.
if he makes the team, then do you send Hutchinson to the minors? If you do, you'll lose him on waivers, no?
Do you send Pavs to the minors? Will the Jets be willing to eat that cap $$ for the year?
or do you trade Hutchinson for what i'm guessing is a 2nd round pick at best, to a team like Calgary, who needs a goalie?
Or...or do you hope that, with a 1 year deal, Pavs is attractive to the Calgarys of the world and he actually has some trade value. but with other goalies, like Fleury (barf) apparently available, do the Flames look for that as a goaltending solution?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
so, goaltending.
there was an article (Garrett can post the link...can't find it) about signing Hutch to a 2 year deal so we can have a goalie available for the expansion draft.

if he makes the team, then do you send Hutchinson to the minors? If you do, you'll lose him on waivers, no?
Do you send Pavs to the minors? Will the Jets be willing to eat that cap $$ for the year?
or do you trade Hutchinson for what i'm guessing is a 2nd round pick at best, to a team like Calgary, who needs a goalie?
Or...or do you hope that, with a 1 year deal, Pavs is attractive to the Calgarys of the world and he actually has some trade value. but with other goalies, like Fleury (barf) apparently available, do the Flames look for that as a goaltending solution?

Pav has got to be untradeable - even if we retained right up to the max. He could still be bought out but we all know he won't be. We don't know why not.

Hutch would not return a 2nd. If we traded him, who do we expose to expansion? Signing him and then trading him makes no sense.

There is no risk in waiving Pav. None. The worst that could happen is that no one takes him. Send him to the A and get 950k in cap relief (not that we need it). The cost is the same.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
so, goaltending.

The salary hit is the same regardless, so send Pavs to the Moose. Maybe he'll get huffy and refuse to report, Jets suspend him.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Would the Ducks be interested in Pavs? All the Jets could probably get would be Stoner, or Depres (then the Jets would have to add a prospect). Is that OK for the Jets?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I am thinking the Jets will sign Trouba and it will be less then 5 million per year long term. That is my guess. Probably by sometime before July is my guess too

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I am thinking the Jets will sign Trouba and it will be less then 5 million per year long term. That is my guess. Probably by sometime before July is my guess too

I sure hope you're right. That would be great!

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I'm thinking only slightly below 5 x 6 years but I think it takes a while. If for no other reason just who his agent is says they will drag it out trying to get more.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

That would be brilliant. I'd be happy with 7 or 8 years at 6M or so, or something like 6 x 5.5 or in that range.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Hope you're right Joe.

I think JT ends up signing for slightly more than $5 mill, since I could see his UFA years being expensive. It wouldn't surprise me if he pushed for $6 mill/yr on those last years.

Something like:

Yr 1 $4.0
Yr 2 $5.0
Yr 3 $5.0
Yr 4 $5.5
Yr 5 $6.0
Yr 6 $6.0

Or $31.5 mill over 6 yrs or $5.25 aav.

Now if you can keep his salary under $5, that's a win. He'll outplay that deal, if he hasn't already.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hope you're right Joe.

I think JT ends up signing for slightly more than $5 mill, since I could see his UFA years being expensive. It wouldn't surprise me if he pushed for $6 mill/yr on those last years.

Something like:

Yr 1 $4.0
Yr 2 $5.0
Yr 3 $5.0
Yr 4 $5.5
Yr 5 $6.0
Yr 6 $6.0

Or $31.5 mill over 6 yrs or $5.25 aav.

Now if you can keep his salary under $5, that's a win. He'll outplay that deal, if he hasn't already.

The same AAV E. Kane got. I'd argue Trouba presents more future value to the organization.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I wouldn't bank on the playoffs. Lots of youth being broken in and that can vome with inconsistent play. I could also see the Jets slow playing the transition. I might change my tune if Thorburn, Stuart and Pavelec are not on the opening roster, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I wouldn't bank on the playoffs. Lots of youth being broken in and that can vome with inconsistent play. I could also see the Jets slow playing the transition. I might change my tune if Thorburn, Stuart and Pavelec are not on the opening roster, but I'll believe that when I see it.

It's all about the goaltending. It always is with this team.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

i want thorburn gone as well, but if he plays a Peluso role and just sits in the pressbox, i'm happy with him staying.
Peluso? send him to the Moose, please and thanks.
Mark Eugene Daniel Stuart? no clue what we can do with him.
think he starts with the Jets but than means no Postma time yet again.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

It will be about the goaltending.
And what kind if impact the true rookies have.
And what kind of impact the second year players have.
And special teams.
And luck.

Have we seen enough of Armia, Dano, Copp, Burmi and Lowry to project good things?
Is it fair to expect Connor and Laine to outscore the opposition as rookies?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

It will be about the goaltending.
And what kind if impact the true rookies have.
And what kind of impact the second year players have.
And special teams.
And luck.

Have we seen enough of Armia, Dano, Copp, Burmi and Lowry to project good things?
Is it fair to expect Connor and Laine to outscore the opposition as rookies?

I know this sounds delusional but if I got to pick the 12 forwards, 6 D, and 2 goalies to start the year and we got league average goaltending I think we have a shot. However politics and tenure will rule the day so we'll see? If we get the goaltending we can compete even with the dead weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad