Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wonder if Detroit would do 16 and dats for 36...

Wouldn't be my first choice and I don't think Detroit wants to give up 16. But Detroit only swaps 16 > 36 so they might take it. From our POV I think 16 has a pretty good chance at 1 of Fabbro, Bean, McAvoy so I would do that.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I wonder if the Jets would. Not sure i see the need to move to 16 exactly unless that deal is contingent on a D man being available at 16...

You look at 17. Nashville - Do they need any D prospects even? 18.Philly- they don't. 19. NYI- Possibly 20. Arizona - they pick at 7, gotta think if they go D at 7 they don't here and vice versa really. 21. Carolina- they don't need any more D prospects either..

I'd almost take the risk that if a couple (2 or 3) d guys fall to 16 that maybe just maybe one or 2 of them make it to me at 22 since the teams needs from 17 to 21 really do seem to be more forward than D.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I wonder if the Jets would. Not sure i see the need to move to 16 exactly unless that deal is contingent on a D man being available at 16...

You look at 17. Nashville - Do they need any D prospects even? 18.Philly- they don't. 19. NYI- Possibly 20. Arizona - they pick at 7, gotta think if they go D at 7 they don't here and vice versa really. 21. Carolina- they don't need any more D prospects either..

I'd almost take the risk that if a couple (2 or 3) d guys fall to 16 that maybe just maybe one or 2 of them make it to me at 22 since the teams needs from 17 to 21 really do seem to be more forward than D.

I have said before, if there are a few D still left and Jets want to have their choice, I would do 22 and a fwd ( Burmi ??) for Flyers at 18.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Interesting idea but the suggestion here is not swapping 22 and 16. It is 36 and 16. There is a much better chance of that D being available at 16 than at 22. There may only be 1 left at 16. If we don't do that deal Detroit takes him. Or we get 1 each at 16 and 22. Or if we have our man at 16 we take a good F at 22, Howden, Gauthier or maybe Jost. If a lot of D have gone then one of those should be there.

This deal actually costs us nothing but we don't get it unless we offer Detroit the best deal. There will be competition. My choice would be to get Ouellet but Detroit doesn't have a lot of good D prospects so they wouldn't be in a hurry to give him up. I think we might have to give more of a return to get him.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Cool avy refresh benny!!

Thanks, born and raised and reason im a Flyers fan...

What you think the cost would be for Jets to move up to Flyers pick ? I really can't see Flyers taking a D man unless one of the top 3 drops .

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I guess my thing is... Taking on Datsyuks cap hit for even just a year, I'd probably want something a little more than just pick 16. I like the idea of Xavier Oulette and Datsyuk for something, but i'm not sure that something is a 2nd round pick..

If it was Datsyuk Oulette and 16 for 36? Yeah i'd probably do that. I just don't think I'd take Datsyuks Cap Hit just for pick 16, who is a few years away. I'd want a now piece.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guess my thing is... Taking on Datsyuks cap hit for even just a year, I'd probably want something a little more than just pick 16. I like the idea of Xavier Oulette and Datsyuk for something, but i'm not sure that something is a 2nd round pick..

If it was Datsyuk Oulette and 16 for 36? Yeah i'd probably do that. I just don't think I'd take Datsyuks Cap Hit just for pick 16, who is a few years away. I'd want a now piece.

You can want anything but it will be a competition to get something for nothing from Detroit. We are not the only team with cap space. Datsyuk costs us absolutely zero. Getting a 7th would still be something for nothing so there has to be some compromise. By asking for too much all you do is take yourself out of the game.

At this stage of the build a draft with #2, #16 and #22 is incredible. 16 could be Fabbro. There is very little chance that 22 could. But 22 could still be a very good LHD or a C with top 6 upside, maybe Little's eventual replacement.

OTOH I would be very happy to do Dats + Ouellet for 36 too. Or we could hold out for more and watch Dats + Jurco got to Carolina for a 2nd.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
You can want anything but it will be a competition to get something for nothing from Detroit. We are not the only team with cap space. Datsyuk costs us absolutely zero. Getting a 7th would still be something for nothing so there has to be some compromise. By asking for too much all you do is take yourself out of the game.

At this stage of the build a draft with #2, #16 and #22 is incredible. 16 could be Fabbro. There is very little chance that 22 could. But 22 could still be a very good LHD or a C with top 6 upside, maybe Little's eventual replacement.

OTOH I would be very happy to do Dats + Ouellet for 36 too. Or we could hold out for more and watch Dats + Jurco got to Carolina for a 2nd.

I wonder if the Jets would maybe need to unload someone like Stafford (to Carolina for a 3rd & 4th?) if they're going to take Datsyuk's contract. I do like the idea of taking on Datsyuk's contract for a decent return, though.

capfriendly.com shows the Jets as having just under $20 million in cap space. I'd expect Scheifele and Trouba to use up at least half of that. Taking on Datsyuk's contract would not leave very much cap space to sign the other RFA's and any potential UFA's, plus some room for the season.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks, born and raised and reason im a Flyers fan...

What you think the cost would be for Jets to move up to Flyers pick ? I really can't see Flyers taking a D man unless one of the top 3 drops .

Your proposal seems very fair for the Jets "if" the Jets love a D man available at 18 (lets say Fabbro or McAvoy for arguments sake) and have him as a top 12 type talent and clear BPA on their list. I think the Flyers would also have to be in a spot where they were in a tier at 18 and had a few guys ranked similar at that point and felt really comfortable with what they would get at 22.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Considering what Carolina got for taking on the Bickell contract, Jets won't have to add anything. Rumor seems to be that the Wings are willing to give up Pullkinen or Jurco to offload Datsyuk. I really hope the Jets can put all that unused capspace to some use. There is no reason to have all that capspace just sitting there not doing anything.

I was thinking the same thing until I looked at the numbers. If the Jets sign both Scheif and Trouba long term they likely won't have the room to eat $7.5 M of dead cap space. Right now they are sitting at $19.7 M of space with 18 players under contract (assuming a static cap). Let's say Scheif gets a $6 M AAV and Trouba $5 M AAV we have $8.7 to sign Lowry, Hutch, Tanev and Armia. Even if those are all nice bridge deals we will still have less than the required $7.5 M. Other moves would have to be made and it would be a bit said if we had a quick bounce back next season but artificially handcuffed ourselves and couldn't improve the roster at the TD if we were in contention.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wonder if the Jets would maybe need to unload someone like Stafford (to Carolina for a 3rd & 4th?) if they're going to take Datsyuk's contract. I do like the idea of taking on Datsyuk's contract for a decent return, though.

capfriendly.com shows the Jets as having just under $20 million in cap space. I'd expect Scheifele and Trouba to use up at least half of that. Taking on Datsyuk's contract would not leave very much cap space to sign the other RFA's and any potential UFA's, plus some room for the season.

I don't think Datsyuk's 7.5 would be a problem but it could cut things pretty close.

Buyout Pav and there is a little headroom.:naughty: Buyout Stu and there is plenty of room. :naughty::naughty: :D

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was thinking the same thing until I looked at the numbers. If the Jets sign both Scheif and Trouba long term they likely won't have the room to eat $7.5 M of dead cap space. Right now they are sitting at $19.7 M of space with 18 players under contract (assuming a static cap). Let's say Scheif gets a $6 M AAV and Trouba $5 M AAV we have $8.7 to sign Lowry, Hutch, Tanev and Armia. Even if those are all nice bridge deals we will still have less than the required $7.5 M. Other moves would have to be made and it would be a bit said if we had a quick bounce back next season but artificially handcuffed ourselves and couldn't improve the roster at the TD if we were in contention.

Tanev will be in the A. So will either Hutch or Pav. The cap will go up 1.4. Still awfully tight. I'm afraid there is just no choice. We will be forced to trade both Thor and Stu. :sarcasm:

:laugh: Trade Stafford, buyout Pav, plenty of room.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Tanev will be in the A. So will either Hutch or Pav. The cap will go up 1.4. Still awfully tight. I'm afraid there is just no choice. We will be forced to trade both Thor and Stu. :sarcasm:

:laugh: Trade Stafford, buyout Pav, plenty of room.

Not saying you couldn't make it work but it would be a tight squeeze. I'm afraid to say Pavs will be one of our goalies either way. I don't think they buy him out going into his final season. Trading Stafford is a possibility.

Even if Chevy was playing with the thought it is unlikely to happen before the Jets know the final number on both Scheif and Trouba and Detroit will need to clear the space before July 1 to take a run at Stamkos.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not saying you couldn't make it work but it would be a tight squeeze. I'm afraid to say Pavs will be one of our goalies either way. I don't think they buy him out going into his final season. Trading Stafford is a possibility.

Even if Chevy was playing with the thought it is unlikely to happen before the Jets know the final number on both Scheif and Trouba and Detroit will need to clear the space before July 1 to take a run at Stamkos.

Yeah, I know, but I can dream. Sigh.

If Stafford was moved for a pick it would leave enough room to move now but otherwise you are probably right that Chevy wouldn't commit until he has some final numbers to work with. Shame to lose the opportunity though.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
We don't need RD and I'm pretty sure that Marincin won't be expansion exempt. I don't think Chevy is in the market to trade a top 4 D for a 2nd round pick.

Marincin is LD. Could get the Leafs to add another pick. If the Jets don't trade Myers beforehand, I'm pretty sure they'd lose him for nothing in the expansion draft.

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
If the rumour about cbj listening on #3 but having to include hartnell are true...what could the jets offer?hartnell contract isn't great 3 more years at 4.75 I believe, however feel he is still serviceable. To get number 3 even with hartnell could be costly. Assuming cbj is looking for cost controlled, roslovic, Connor, 22, 36. Being good/great pieces. Maybe some quantity add on.......note, not saying all that in one package just listing what cbj may be interested in

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If the rumour about cbj listening on #3 but having to include hartnell are true...what could the jets offer?hartnell contract isn't great 3 more years at 4.75 I believe, however feel he is still serviceable. To get number 3 even with hartnell could be costly. Assuming cbj is looking for cost controlled, roslovic, Connor, 22, 36. Being good/great pieces. Maybe some quantity add on.......note, not saying all that in one package just listing what cbj may be interested in

Columbus sounds like they want to move down to between 5 and 8 probably cuz they want a center like Keller or brown so jets have nothing to offer plus why do we want both Finns anyway? Should we trade for AHO in Carolina also?

If I'm the jets I'm shopping myers and something to Arizona for pick 7 so we can either take Jost or one of the LHD. I don't want or need pick 3.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets best chance at #3 is probably to first go after another high pick and trade up. Maybe go after #4 from the Oilers or #7 from the Yotes using Myers+, and then trade the pick with a good prospect and pick to move up to #3.

Really unrealistic scenario, I would think.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

It's a cap-hit. They don't physically have to pay him anything, so we could take on Datsyuk easily. It's a one year cap hit of zero real dollars.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's a cap-hit. They don't physically have to pay him anything, so we could take on Datsyuk easily. It's a one year cap hit of zero real dollars.

It is doable, but it will require some juggling. This season will see the Jets make a jump up in using their own cap space. According to Cap Friendly the Jets have a projected $19.7 M of cap space with 18 players under contract. Taking Datsyuk's contract brings that down to $12.2 M. Yet we still need to sign Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry, and Armia. Also if the Wings are adding to Datsyuk you need to take on that player's salary as well. Let's say we also get Jurco as rumored and his cap friendly $900,000 we now have $11.3 space. IMO it is close to an absolute certainty the Jets will want to sign Scheif long term, and most estimates are in the $6 M range. Now you are down to $5.3 to get Trouba, Lowry and Armia under contract. This is only possible if you squeeze Trouba on a bridge or move him. But you could sign him long term if you move out Stafford's contract. I'd be in for this. Then you could sign Trouba long term and have enough for Lowry and Armia. Maybe with a million or 2 to spare.

But bottom line taking on Datsyuk's contract is not necessary easy and will essentially make the Jets a cap team and they will have to start being creative to fit the contracts they want under the cap.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Jets best chance at #3 is probably to first go after another high pick and trade up. Maybe go after #4 from the Oilers or #7 from the Yotes using Myers+, and then trade the pick with a good prospect and pick to move up to #3.

Really unrealistic scenario, I would think.

especially for a "win sooner vs later" team like Winnipeg.
i think missing playoffs again for the next 2 years is not an option that Chevy wants to explore. you know, job security and whatnot.
missing the playoffs this year can be justified (we'll have LOTS of fresh meat in the line-up, including in goal). but the following season? no excuses.
so picking two top-3 players in this year's draft? for many, many reasons, highly improbable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad