Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Continued from: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2076149

Some of the last posts from previous thread:

Lol I went to close the thread... then I realized I can't do that anymore :laugh:

I don't think I want to move Drew Stafford unless we are picking up some veteran help up front.

There's young, and then there is too young. We are teetering on that line up front.

And of course, a lower role reducing Stafford's potential value.

Good point.

I'd trade Stafford now...,,
I'd trade Stafford yesterday.....

Wait..... Maybe Stafford should never have been signed.......

(I've always felt this way a actually)

If the Jets had hung on to their depth, with Stemp and Frolik, plus Stafford, and added Ehlers... it would have been enough to say the Jets were trying to continue the push.

But ya, with the full youth cycle, I'm not certain it was the wisest thing.

Very good debate on the merits of Drew Stafford then and now. all I can say is it beats the hell out of the more obvious low hanging fruit of Thorburn, Pavs, Stu.....feels like even the floor is moving up not that the usual suspects are dead and gone by any means.

I think this will be a very interesting upcoming season.

Questions to be answered

1) goaltending.... does Helly get the job done with Pavs as the Back up or does he falter? This is the wind at the back or end in the face question that really trumps all.

2) how quickly do we transition from our past.... Stu, Thorburn, Pavs, Stafford?

3) what is going to happen with this group of pending UFA's they all need to find new homes and there isn't enough cash to go around. Could be some insane value deals?

4) teams will make moves to get shored up for the expansion draft......where are the deals?

5) which young guns are going to step up....fresh rookies like Connor or Laine? Perhaps someone out of the group who is pressing......Petan, Armia, Morrissey, Dano???

Every year always has so many twists and turns and so many subplots.

Stay tuned this one won't be boring with a flat cap, expansion draft, and oversupplied UFA crop........news news and more news.

Great list ps241.

No doubt, we as fans are moving from "Yay! We have an NHL team!" to "Holy crap, the Jets might actually be real good real soon". And Chevy has a bunch of aces up his sleeve, should he decide to play them.

I'm very optimistic on Helly. He seems so cool and collected. And he has such positionally sound technique. I'm no goaltending expert, but he seems less susceptible to the sort of meteoric rise and fall that Hutch went through.

Less optimistic this happens immediately.

It's a tug-of-war between being sure TNSE will recognize they now have much superior options, vs. being confounded they've held on to some of these players for so long already.

It's a weird place to be in. We almost have too much talent already - they're just young and need time to develop. But those insane value deals will be hard to pass up.

Add onto this the cap crunch many teams are facing. The wheeling and dealing has already started there with the Bickell Teravainen deal. Maybe we take on a cap dump in exchange for future picks. Even then, we have to find room on the roster for whoever we take. I guess we could take on a highly overpaid bottom 6 guy (along with some major sweeteners), and send back one of our many super cheap bottom 6 guys of comparable talent.

This will take some more shrewd maneuvering. Unlike with the UFAs and stagnating cap, the Jets don't have any obvious tactical advantage here over the other teams.

Well, Laine plays like a combination of Ovechkin, Chuck Norris, Godzilla, and Meat Loaf, so he's sure to be pretty awesome. ;)

What's really cool though is we don't need to place all our hopes on a few promising greenhorns. We have a giant herd of promising greenhorns. Some of them are bound to impress, and that's all we need.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
For me trading Stafford comes down to this. Would you rather have:

Drew Stafford @ $4.35 million for 1 year

OR

3rd round pick (being conservative with this, he possibly fetches a better return)
Lee Stempniak @ $2.5 million for 2 years (who helps us with the expansion draft)
Patrick Wiercioch @ $1.9 million for 1 year to play on our bottom pairing

For the amount you are paying Stafford you could get 3 very good assets- a pick, a forward who is arguably better and more versatile than Stafford and an underrated D-man who is an instant upgrade on Stu. The choice seems clear to me

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think Fowler is overrated, but I think we'll see Fowler's numbers improve and Lindholm's come down after both of them having pretty extreme relCorsi years this season.

IE: that chart may over exaggerate things a bit.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Also, Fowler was mostly playing with Mark Stuart, I mean Bieksa.
Again, he's still not great, or something I'd target, but not as bad as those numbers.

I think Fowler and Trouba would probably be fine.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Hey Jets fans, how does this trade sound?

Anaheim: JVR
Winnipeg: Fowler
Toronto: Trouba + Bieksa

Bob Murray said today that he wanted a big, high quality, left-handed, LW and this fits JVR perfectly, who has an attractive caphit to the Ducks and whom Carlyle is known to be a big fan of during his time in Toronto.

Jets get a young quality LHD which they need, making only 4 mill a year. Has been playing #1 minutes for the Ducks and averaged 26 mins in the playoffs.

Leafs take a cap dump from Anaheim and in return also get a potential top pairing RHD that would make a perfect fit with Rielly.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Bob Murray said today that he wanted a big, high quality, left-handed, LW and this fits JVR perfectly, who has an attractive caphit to the Ducks and whom Carlyle is known to be a big fan of during his time in Toronto.

Jets get a young quality LHD which they need, making only 4 mill a year. Has been playing #1 minutes for the Ducks and averaged 26 mins in the playoffs.

Leafs take a cap dump from Anaheim and in return also get a potential top pairing RHD that would make a perfect fit with Rielly.

That's not gonna happen.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
What would the value be in taking on Datsyuk's contract? Would Detroit bite if the Jets gave the Wings a 5th round pick, then Detroit gave the Jets a 2nd round pick along with that contract? Or should the Jets expect more?

Datsyuk's contract has only 1 year left, and now that he's retired, I don't think they'd have to actually pay him anything (not certain about that, though).

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010

Substitute Myers for Trouba, then it might work.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Trouba is the most valuable asset in that group. Why the heck would Toronto get him plus.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Yuck. No

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg

Most here would not do trouba for hamonic and he is much better then fowler even though ham is also a rhd

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
What would the value be in taking on Datsyuk's contract? Would Detroit bite if the Jets gave the Wings a 5th round pick, then Detroit gave the Jets a 2nd round pick along with that contract? Or should the Jets expect more?

Datsyuk's contract has only 1 year left, and now that he's retired, I don't think they'd have to actually pay him anything (not certain about that, though).

Considering what Carolina got for taking on the Bickell contract, Jets won't have to add anything. Rumor seems to be that the Wings are willing to give up Pullkinen or Jurco to offload Datsyuk. I really hope the Jets can put all that unused capspace to some use. There is no reason to have all that capspace just sitting there not doing anything.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Did anyone e else find it hilarious that the three posts above that trade offer were about fowler not being great?

I sure did.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Hell no!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would you guys be willing to trade Petan/DeLeo + 22nd to the Ducks for Cam Fowler?

Fowler is overrated but I do that. No hesitation at all. He is not overrated that badly. I think there is 0 chance that Ducks do it though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Fowler is not worth Trouba. Toronto is the big winner. JVR is not worth Fowler.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Datsyuk does not have to be paid. It is just the cap. I want Ouellet with Dats. Will pay within reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad