Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think it's pretty unlikely that either Scheifele or Trouba sees an offer sheet. The Jets have the room to match - unlike Chicago with Saad or Boston with Hamilton last year. A falling or stagnant cap is really going to limit the number of teams that could even make a play. And I believe GMs are pretty reluctant to drive up RFA values anyway. Everyone's got their own guys to worry about signing.

Last Boston post. Thanks for clarification on things. I wouldn't be so sure that Trouba wouldn't see an offer sheet, at least from Boston. Boston has plenty of capspace next year (Eriksson, Kelly, Lucic retained off the books), plenty of picks (3 1sts, 3 2nds last year, 2 1sts and 2 2nds this year) and are very motivated to get young D in the fold. Not sure what WPGs true budget is, so can't comment on how much room, in real terms, they have to match.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think more recent contracts will be used as comparables. I think the Islanders got a steal with Hamonic at that price and it's why his trade price has been rumoured to be so high. Trouba and his agent will of course be asking to be paid on promise as well as current results. If we can get Trouba signed for under $5mil a year, I'll be extremely surprised (and pleased). I just see your valuation and comparables as being a bit on the low end. It might be what Chevy comes in with, but we'll likely end up somewhere in the $5-$6mil range, and I don't think it's a "failure" if he gets Hamilton money.

The bold is probably correct. I just hope it is a lot closer to 5 than to 6. Hamilton money was too much for Hamilton. If that is the only comparable you look at we will pay too much. Don't ignore Klingberg. Use Hamonic and pay .5 mil more for updating. that is ~ 4.375 AAV, still a little more than Klingberg if you want more recent. Maybe Klingberg is underpaid like Hamilton is overpaid. So bump it up to 4.5. But Hamilton ...... OK. Make it 5 even. Exactly splitting the difference between Klingberg and Hamilton.

Why are we in such a rush to spend our available cap space? Do we take some kind of satisfaction in having the higher paid players? My star young D makes more than yours so he must be better?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So now Chevy is holding up the whole league? Buff and Ladd are apoarently hot commodities.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would I be correct that one of Buff, Trouba and Myers will probably be on the way out given the contract demands of the first two?

I would assume that Myers would be the one the Jets are most apt to move.

1) How has he been?
2) What would he cost? In my mind (from Boston's point of view) I keep thinking a deal with Zboril (LHD, top pairing potential) as the center piece.

I was pretty high on Zboril at the draft. His scoring has dropped off from his draft year. I never like to see D+1 coming in lower than D. He missed a lot of games last season and again this year. Is there an injury issue?

We need LHD but Zboril is probably several years away from NHL ready. He may not be the one we need.

For now we are playing Trouba on the left side solving our balance trouble. Myers could be moved for a LHD but I don't think anything happens until after Buff is signed. He may yet be moved at the trade deadline.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Last Boston post. Thanks for clarification on things. I wouldn't be so sure that Trouba wouldn't see an offer sheet, at least from Boston. Boston has plenty of capspace next year (Eriksson, Kelly, Lucic retained off the books), plenty of picks (3 1sts, 3 2nds last year, 2 1sts and 2 2nds this year) and are very motivated to get young D in the fold. Not sure what WPGs true budget is, so can't comment on how much room, in real terms, they have to match.

Unless it was a foolishly extravagant offer they will certainly match any offer and they have lots of cap space and cash. You may also find that they would return the favor at a future date. I assure you that an offer sheet is not the way to get a Trouba. Better drafting would be the first step.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

That's true - the Jets give off a real penny-pinching vibe.

The Bruins do have a lot of room next year...but there are a lot of open roster spots to fill too. I don't know how close the B's prospects are and whether you could fill 3 or 4 spots with them next year (Subban as backup, maybe a couple of bottom pairing D, and a bottom 6 forward or two?). They would probably be an ideal candidate to put an offer sheet on Trouba. Sweeny might just be crazy enough to try...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's true - the Jets give off a real penny-pinching vibe.

The Bruins do have a lot of room next year...but there are a lot of open roster spots to fill too. I don't know how close the B's prospects are and whether you could fill 3 or 4 spots with them next year (Subban as backup, maybe a couple of bottom pairing D, and a bottom 6 forward or two?). They would probably be an ideal candidate to put an offer sheet on Trouba. Sweeny might just be crazy enough to try...

If he didn't want to open his wallet for Hamilton I have a hard time seeing him do it for Trouba.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So now Chevy is holding up the whole league? Buff and Ladd are apoarently hot commodities.

Other GM: "Hey Chevy....what's going on with Ladd and Buff? You listening to offers?"

Chevy: "Well, you know, any time you've got assets you have to consider all the possibilities. Again, we're going forward at this stage with the understanding that sometimes there are things you'd like to do and other times you'd like to do other things. Again, by no means are we out of it and we're going to take the break here to evaluate. You know, we'll continue to look at it and consider all the options before we say 'yes' or 'no' to one thing or the other."

Other GM: "Uhhhhhhh...."

:laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If he didn't want to open his wallet for Hamilton I have a hard time seeing him do it for Trouba.

Boston is pretty close to the cap this year, though - it would've been tough to pull off even if they were so inclined. Next year they've got probably $20M in room with all those salaries and retained salaries and cap penalties coming off the books.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Other GM: "Hey Chevy....what's going on with Ladd and Buff? You listening to offers?"

Chevy: "Well, you know, any time you've got assets you have to consider all the possibilities. Again, we're going forward at this stage with the understanding that sometimes there are things you'd like to do and other times you'd like to do other things. Again, by no means are we out of it and we're going to take the break here to evaluate. You know, we'll continue to look at it and consider all the options before we say 'yes' or 'no' to one thing or the other."

Lmao!!! Hahahaha this is gold

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

:clap:

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
heres an interesting idea, a trouba for gardiner swap.

we get a young two way d with high upside on our left and toronto gets a high upside rhd to play with rielly

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Eww... I thought Gardiner was more of a reclamation project, at this point.

Does anyone have any issue with how Trouba has been playing with Byfuglien?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba's been dragging a damned anchor around for the last two years. I'm not that worried about his progression, and if we can lock him up for 7-8 years (6 is silly - bridge him instead), do it.

6 years isn't ideal from a team stand point is often the length that gets settled on because it helps bring the AAV into the desired range and allows for some security for the team. For the player it allows for the big career UFA contract to be negotiated mid prime.

A bridge is an option but just kicks the can down the road a couple years. It will keep salary down for the next 2 years but it is not like the Jets will use the cap space if they don't need to. 8 years is ideal from a team stand point but then we are pushing into the $6 M range. An agent will want his client to be paid if you want all of his best prime years even if you are paying mostly for potential. So more often than not they settle on the middle ground. In Trouba's case I call 6 years at $5.25 AAV. There are worse d-man than him today that make more than that.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

OMG was that a direct quote? :biglaugh: that was perfect.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Would I be correct that one of Buff, Trouba and Myers will probably be on the way out given the contract demands of the first two?

I would assume that Myers would be the one the Jets are most apt to move.

1) How has he been?
2) What would he cost? In my mind (from Boston's point of view) I keep thinking a deal with Zboril (LHD, top pairing potential) as the center piece.

Not necessarily. Trouba has been playing on the left side with Buff lately and he is starting to find that rookie form again. They actually look like a pretty good top pair for the future.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Good. If the league wants Chevy to make a move all someone has to do is make an offer he can't refuse...for Ladd that is. I hope we sign Buff ASAP. Give him a bass boat and name a lake after him as a signing perk and let's go.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
6 years isn't ideal from a team stand point is often the length that gets settled on because it helps bring the AAV into the desired range and allows for some security for the team. For the player it allows for the big career UFA contract to be negotiated mid prime.

A bridge is an option but just kicks the can down the road a couple years. It will keep salary down for the next 2 years but it is not like the Jets will use the cap space if they don't need to. 8 years is ideal from a team stand point but then we are pushing into the $6 M range. An agent will want his client to be paid if you want all of his best prime years even if you are paying mostly for potential. So more often than not they settle on the middle ground. In Trouba's case I call 6 years at $5.25 AAV. There are worse d-man than him today that make more than that.

Good and enlightening post KB. Very good points that haven't necessarily crossed my mind before.

OMG was that a direct quote? :biglaugh: that was perfect.

Was on freaking point wasn't it? :laugh:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

I'd do $6x8 for Trouba, no problem. I hear what you're saying KB, but I'd be perfectly happy paying that based on what I've seen of him so far. The AAV isn't so high that he's not tradeable later, and if he continues to progress (I don't buy he's regressing - he's had an anchor tied around one leg for a considerable amount of time), then it'll be a steal later on. If you're going to take a chance on a contract, it appears that the young guns are the ones to throw caution to the wind for, not the aging UFA's.

Thoughts?

Good. If the league wants Chevy to make a move all someone has to do is make an offer he can't refuse...for Ladd that is. I hope we sign Buff ASAP. Give him a bass boat and name a lake after him as a signing perk and let's go.

:laugh: K, that's funny, and I agree on all points. If the ask is what's been rumoured, sign the big lug. Win or lose, he's entertaining, and that's part of why I watch hockey.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

That's gold, Jerry. Gold. :laugh: Well done.

It is interesting though: if the other GM's really want to uncork the trade bottle, make Chevy an offer he can't refuse. I dare 'em. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark