Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Do what? Reach a verbal agreement? Assuming a minimum level of integrity on both sides you reach agreement, make the trade and sign the contract July 1. If you don't reach agreement you don't make the trade.

But why would the RyJo camp do it now? He's playing like crap. His value is las low as it could possibly be Don't they think he can get a larger deal if he hits 30 goals next year and rebounds? Why commit to a number now when you can get more later. That's my point.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But why would the RyJo camp do it now? He's playing like crap. His value is las low as it could possibly be Don't they think he can get a larger deal if he hits 30 goals next year and rebounds? Why commit to a number now when you can get more later. That's my point.

The assumption is that he wants out of CBJ. If he can hit 30 goals next year he can still come close to that this year. If he won't play for Torts or the CBJs he could play for his next contract. If he won't do that who wants him?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The assumption is that he wants out of CBJ. If he can hit 30 goals next year he can still come close to that this year. If he won't play for Torts or the CBJs he could play for his next contract. If he won't do that who wants him?
Well he might have to wait until the offseason then. There will be no wink wink deals. That's why it's a risk reward. If you trade for him now you better be ready to pay him 7x 7.5M.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Imo you would be crazy not to go after a guy like RJ, he would our best player by a fair margin. Last guy like him who became available is working out pretty nicely in Dallas.

Chevy is too tentative to make it work, just dreaming.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Imo you would be crazy not to go after a guy like RJ, he would our best player by a fair margin. Last guy like him who became available is working out pretty nicely in Dallas.

Agreed. RJ and Scheif down the middle in a couple of years, could be the backbone of a true contender.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

What is Columbus asking?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Agreed with the bolded.

Disagree to an extent with the underlined. He might be our best forward, but that is only the case if he brings what he needs too. Him and Wheeler in the same locker room would be interesting as one guy is all out every shift and RyJo isssss, well, not quite there.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My thoughts exactly.

Top 4 dman and a 1st Rd pick I heard, not sure how true that is.

I'd do that if it was lottery protected or you could off set to 2017. But obviously it isn't going to be a pending UFA. I wonder if they would do it for Myers? You then for sure have to resign Buff, move Ladd and Little plays wing again. If he gets his head back on straight that is potentially a big jump forward.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Agreed with the bolded.

Disagree to an extent with the underlined. He might be our best forward, but that is only the case if he brings what he needs too. Him and Wheeler in the same locker room would be interesting as one guy is all out every shift and RyJo isssss, well, not quite there.

To get true #1C you either have to suck really bad and get a really high pick (& a little lucky) or get a mid range pick and VERY lucky. Both of these are not likely in the Jets case IMO.

Next best way.....see what Dallas did with Seguin. They targeted a young potential superstar who had some maturity issues (not completely unlike RJ) but limitless ability and took a calculated risk. Well they hit a grand slam with that risk.

Is there risk involved? Absolutely. Could we strike out? Absolutely. Could we hit a grand slam? Most definitely. If we play it safe for another 5 years where are we going to be? Middle of the pack still? Decent but not great team? In sports dont we play to win? No one plays sports to finish 3rd or 5th or 10th spot.....we play to win. So let's play to win.

In baseball, when you go to the plate, you can either play it safe, choke up on the bat.....try for that single line drive or grounder.......or you can swing for the fence when the odds are slightly in your favour when you know the pitcher is going to throw his fastball straight over the plate.

To-date Chevy has choked up on the bat, here is a chance to try for that grand slam. How often do true elite #1C come up on the market? Once every few years maybe? We've got an experienced players coach under contract. Give him this raw talent and let PMO turn him into a leader, man and a superstar.

Ok I'm stepping off the soapbox now.

I'd do that if it was lottery protected or you could off set to 2017. But obviously it isn't going to be a pending UFA. I wonder if they would do it for Myers? You then for sure have to resign Buff, move Ladd and Little plays wing again. If he gets his head back on straight that is potentially a big jump forward.

IMO if RJ just has work ethic issues, those can be fixed by PMO, Chevy, Chipman, vets on our team. If RJ was a cancer in the room, forget it no interest in him (but I have never heard that about him). This guy is pure skill, crazy potential. Chevy should research him, talk to former coaches, HS teachers (slightly kidding), trainers, etc......find out everything about him and his character. If he doesn't hear anything really bad, start talking very seriously to CBJ.

Sign Buff, easy to say yes I know.

Trade Ladd for 1st and decent prospect. Frees up cap space.

Trade either our or the 1st from Ladd trade (depending on value and timing) and Myers for RJ.....throw in a ok prospect if you must to sweeten it (Armia or BL, just not our best ones).

Before I do any of the above, I find out what RJ wants on his new contract. Reasonable? Trade for him......not reasonable? Don't do it.

But I would MUCH sooner spend 7 million long term per yr on RJ vs Ladd. Young Elite true #1C vs aging winger? Easy choice IMO.

Chevy do your research, all looks ok? If yes, swing for the fence. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The first probably puts us out of the running.

Why? This kid is 23 years old only. Not like he's a 30 yr old player on the back half of his career.

This is a 23 yr old young man who has scored 63 and 71 points in his first two full seasons in the NHL. He isn't hit his full potential yet. He's proven, why would giving up a 1st that is totally unknown and highly unlikely will produce a player even close to RJ's level be a limiting factor in trading for him?

I don't get that logic, sorry. If he was an older player I totally agree with you.......but he's only 23 yrs old.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
To get true #1C you either have to suck really bad and get a really high pick (& a little lucky) or get a mid range pick and VERY lucky. Both of these are not likely in the Jets case IMO.

Next best way.....see what Dallas did with Seguin. They targeted a young potential superstar who had some maturity issues (not completely unlike RJ) but limitless ability and took a calculated risk. Well they hit a grand slam with that risk.

Is there risk involved? Absolutely. Could we strike out? Absolutely. Could we hit a grand slam? Most definitely. If we play it safe for another 5 years where are we going to be? Middle of the pack still? Decent but not great team?

In baseball, when you go to the plate, you can either play it safe, choke up on the bat.....try for that single line drive or grounder.......or you can swing for the fence when the odds are slightly in your favour when you know the pitcher is going to throw his fastball straight over the plate.

To-date Chevy has choked up on the bat, here is a chance to try for that grand slam. How often do true elite #1C come up on the market? Once every few years maybe? We've got an experienced players coach under contract. Give him this raw talent and let PMO turn him into a leader, man and a superstar.

IMO if RJ just has work ethic issues, those can be fixed by PMO, Chevy, Chipman, vets on our team. If RJ was a cancer in the room, forget it no interest in him (but I have never heard that about him). This guy is pure skill, crazy potential. Chevy should research him, talk to former coaches, HS teachers (slightly kidding), trainers, etc......find out everything about him and his character. If he doesn't hear anything really bad, start talking very seriously to CBJ.

Trade either our or the 1st from Ladd trade (depending on value and timing) and Myers for RJ.....throw in a ok prospect if you must to sweeten it (Armia or BL, just not our best ones).

Before I do any of the above, I find out what RJ wants on his new contract. Reasonable? Trade for him......not reasonable? Don't do it.

But I would MUCH sooner spend 7 million long term per yr on RJ vs Ladd. Young Elite true #1C vs aging winger? Easy choice IMO.

I like the idea.

I do think that Seguin was more attractive than RyJo at the time in some ways, because he was a possession monster. RyJo is so-so, which makes you wonder about his commitment and two-way ability.

Still, if Chevy is satisfied with RyJo's character and has good reason to believe that he could sign him long-term, he's the type of player the Jets should consider swinging for the fences with.

Make it a bit more interesting by going for Werenski or Murray to solidify the Jets LD for the next decade.

Little, Myers, prospect / pick

for

RyJo and Werenski / Murray

RyJo, Scheif, Lowry and Copp down the middle is tempting.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Why? This kid is 23 years old only. Not like he's a 30 yr old player on the back half of his career.

This is a 23 yr old young man who has scored 63 and 71 points in his first two full seasons in the NHL. He isn't hit his full potential yet. He's proven, why would giving up a 1st that is totally unknown and highly unlikely will produce a player even close to RJ's level a limiting factor in trading for him?

I don't get that logic, sorry. If he was an older player I totally agree with you.......but he's only 23 yrs old.

Look where we are in the standings. Maybe in the summer after the draft.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

This is a 23 yr old young man who has scored 63 and 71 points in his first two full seasons in the NHL. He isn't hit his full potential yet. He's proven, why would giving up a 1st that is totally unknown and highly unlikely will produce a player even close to RJ's level a limiting factor in trading for him?

Gotta be sure you can re-sign him if you are trading a lottery pick.

I'd rather give up a player like Roslovic, who might be attractive for the Jackets. http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/06/27/nhl-draft.html

Blue Jackets director of amateur scouting Paul Castron said the team tried to trade its way into position to pick Roslovic.

“We knew there was a chance he’d go in the first round,†Castron said. “We wanted to get there. But we couldn’t get to him.â€

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I like the idea.

I do think that Seguin was more attractive than RyJo at the time in some ways, because he was a possession monster. RyJo is so-so, which makes you wonder about his commitment and two-way ability.

Still, if Chevy is satisfied with RyJo's character and has good reason to believe that he could sign him long-term, he's the type of player the Jets should consider swinging for the fences with.

Make it a bit more interesting by going for Werenski or Murray to solidify the Jets LD for the next decade.

Little, Myers, prospect / pick

for

RyJo and Werenski / Murray

RyJo, Scheif, Lowry and Copp down the middle is tempting.

Fair points, I like your idea as well. Let's turn over some of our aging assets (not saying old) like Ladd, Little, etc for the next wave of Jets stars while fixing some fundamental problems that have plagued this team since its return to Winnipeg. This is the type of things I've always said or believed......I just don't see Chevy trying hard enough to do such things. If true.....Buff for Travis? Really? Get serious Chevy that's a piss poor offer, I can't even call that a seious attempt, that's borderline insulting lowball offer. Chevy needs to be creative, he's never shown that to-date IMO. I do acknowledge this isn't NHL2015 vid game, trades aren't easy to do......but I just don't get the sense he has the moxy to think outside of the box.

Look where we are in the standings. Maybe in the summer after the draft.

Might be too late then, early bird gets the worm. What do you expect to get for a pick? 10-15 IMO, nothing in that range will ever compare to RJ. Edit: I forgot they changed the lottery process, fair point.

Last edited:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Is there risk involved? Absolutely. Could we strike out? Absolutely. Could we hit a grand slam? Most definitely. If we play it safe for another 5 years where are we going to be? Middle of the pack still? Decent but not great team? In sports dont we play to win? No one plays sports to finish 3rd or 5th or 10th spot.....we play to win. So let's play to win.

They only thing I would say to the Seguin comparison is that there was a lot less risk to Dallas as Seguin was locked in long term to a contract. Johansen's current deal takes him to RFA one year before he's a UFA. there is a decent amount of risk that he will sign his 6 million qualifying offer and bolt.

I also think Johansen is tad overrated. He is an inferior es scorer to Little and is tracking well below Scheifele this year and has been trending down each of the last two years. He also doesn't bring the same two way game that both do. What he does do is dominate on the PP (Something we desperately need). I would make the deal because he does have all the tools to improve his ES play and we desperately need an elite pp player. I would however like to make the deal in the summer when Chevy can work out an extension before inking him.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/dreger-penguins-kicked-tirees-on-enstrom/

Apparently the Penguins were inquiring into Enstrom before settling for the Daley trade.

“Yeah, that’s a gamble by Jim Rutherford, I don’t think there’s any doubt of that. I know that he had interest in other defensemen. Kicked tires on Toby Enstrom out of Winnipeg, but just didn’t seem to be a fit there with the money. And I don’t know that they actually even negotiated on trade. I believe that Rutherford was shooting a little bit higher.

19kiefer94

Jun 3, 2014
Winterpeg
The Dredger said Enstrom is available and we're looking for a top6 forward.

Meltdown in 3...2...1...

This actually has nothing to do with Dredger's post more procrastinating studying and my hatred for Toby fuelled this (the rumour is just a coincidence in timing) buuuuttttttttt....

Looking at WSH they are probably thinner than us on the left side D and rumours are they are shopping Johannsen. I know we can't really afford to loose LHD, but be honest. We are no where close to a cup right now and are positioned quite well to take a quick step back this year, get a high lottery pick (pls be Chyrchun) and then next season be a growing season to get all our ducks in a row and then make a push 2017-18 and onwards.

Depending on who adds to a Enstrom --> Johannsen deal? Worth it?

Would love to be able to make this deal as well as the deal someone else proposed of Myers+Ladd+Roslovic for RyJo+Werenski+(something like 1st if Ladd resigns).

Resign Buff and ur top 9 F, top 4 D in 2 years:

Connor/Sheif/Ehlers
Johansen/RyJo/Wheeler
Perreault/Burmi/???
Werenski/Trouba
Chyrchun/Byfuglien

w/ Hellebuyck thats a core with some serious potential.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well he might have to wait until the offseason then. There will be no wink wink deals. That's why it's a risk reward. If you trade for him now you better be ready to pay him 7x 7.5M.

Paying him 7x7.5 isn't the worry. The worry is offering him that and having him go elsewhere anyway.

Edit: That is one worry. The other is that he turns out to be worth a lot less than that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Negotiating is not allowed.

I'm not sure about that.

Before O'Reilly was traded to the Sabres, the Avs' GM (Sakic) had clearly been talking with O'Reilly's agent about what it would take to get him to sign an extension. This was before the final year of his contract. He was traded to the Sabres at the draft, and signed an extension with them a few days after he was eligible for an extension.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=772465

Colorado Avalanche general manager Joe Sakic said he felt Ryan O'Reilly was going to be too expensive to keep on a long-term basis, so Sakic traded the 24-year-old center who has one year remaining on his contract to the Buffalo Sabres during the first round of the 2015 NHL Draft on Friday.

"[O'Reilly's agent] Pat Morris, I spoke to him a couple times, and he gave us numbers that we just didn't go to," Sakic said.

That was before O'Reilly was in the final year of his contract. So, clearly it's not "illegal" to discuss a future extension with agents.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'm not sure about that.

Before O'Reilly was traded to the Sabres, the Avs' GM (Sakic) had clearly been talking with O'Reilly's agent about what it would take to get him to sign an extension. This was before the final year of his contract. He was traded to the Sabres at the draft, and signed an extension with them a few days after he was eligible for an extension.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=772465

That was before O'Reilly was in the final year of his contract. So, clearly it's not "illegal" to discuss a future extension with agents.

So assuming this is all possible. If I'm RyJo's agent I'm not signing for less than 7 x $7.5M and I want it structured just like O'Rielly's so that my client basically has full lockout protection. I probably ask even higher though. 7 x $8M. I mean why "negotiate" so far in advance. My client is guaranteed $6M for the next 2 seasons. Either meet my demand or we wait it out. My leverage goes up over time.

Are the Jets prepared to do that contract?
What would the Jets offer? Would that offfer get my client's attention?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So assuming this is all possible. If I'm RyJo's agent I'm not signing for less than 7 x $7.5M and I want it structured just like O'Rielly's so that my client basically has full lockout protection. I probably ask even higher though. 7 x $8M. I mean why "negotiate" so far in advance. My client is guaranteed $6M for the next 2 seasons. Either meet my demand or we wait it out. My leverage goes up over time.

Are the Jets prepared to do that contract?
What would the Jets offer? Would that offfer get my client's attention?

If the Jets think RyJo is a true #1C then I think you go for a Tarasenko sort of deal... 7-8 x $7.5M. If they don't think he's a true #1C, you don't even try to trade for him and build around Scheifele for now, or hope to hit the jackpot in the draft.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
If the Jets think RyJo is a true #1C then I think you go for a Tarasenko sort of deal... 7-8 x $7.5M. If they don't think he's a true #1C, you don't even try to trade for him and build around Scheifele for now, or hope to hit the jackpot in the draft.

Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad