Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
What exactly is prohibited in the CBA? Signing a contract or negotiating a contract, or both? I can't imagine that teams don't start discussions with players and agents before the final year, but maybe I'm not familiar with the rules.

Negotiating is not allowed.

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
Just interesting that RJ has supposedly been scratched for to-nights game against the Coyotes. Possible trade or Torts being Torts again?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
A QO is a one year offer. And yes the team has a whole year to negotiate an extension. It would certainly have to be $6M+ AAV though.

Ah, well that makes it even riskier. Ryan Johansen's contract seems to be designed to get him to UFA ASAP.

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
Hey it could be a plus for us to get him to come to Winnipeg. RJ, you can play as bad as you want here, after-all "WE DON'T BENCH ANYONE"

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Hey it could be a plus for us to get him to come to Winnipeg. RJ, you can play as bad as you want here, after-all "WE DON'T BENCH ANYONE"

There will, however, be a hit-piece every month on your bad attitude and laziness in the Winnipeg Free Press... :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There will, however, be a hit-piece every month on your bad attitude and laziness in the Winnipeg Free Press... :laugh:

.... don't forget the stories based on anonymous league sources and players about your initial contract negotiating position, just to rile the fan base. The Campbell piece was one of the worst "hit" pieces we've seen, when you really boil it down.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In order for another team to talk to RyJo about a contract, the Jackets have to grant permission otherwise it's called tampering. How can they grant permission for something that is prohibited by the CBA?

Does the CBA prohibit the CBJ from having 'discussions' with the agent? I've never been able to get a clear answer to that question. Does anybody know? If they can then they can permit another team to do so. Just judging from the behaviour I have seen from teams going into the last year of contracts it appears that they cannot even talk contract before July 1 but I'm still not certain.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Does the CBA prohibit the CBJ from having 'discussions' with the agent? I've never been able to get a clear answer to that question. Does anybody know? If they can then they can permit another team to do so. Just judging from the behaviour I have seen from teams going into the last year of contracts it appears that they cannot even talk contract before July 1 but I'm still not certain.

They can always talk to an agent. They cannot discuss specifics of $ and term. No offer can be extended. These talks are usually in a general non specific nature. How much are the rules bent? We'll never know. But Columbus granting permission to openly violate the CBA? Not gonna happen.

Also why would RyJo's agent want to play all his cards so far in advance? Would be pretty bad representation IMO. What's the rush from their point of view? The best Chevy could hope to get is how he feels about playing in Winnipeg positive or negative

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just interesting that RJ has supposedly been scratched for to-nights game against the Coyotes. Possible trade or Torts being Torts again?

Either is possible. Miniscule chance of him coming to Winnipeg though, IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They can always talk to an agent. They cannot discuss specifics of $ and term. No offer can be extended. These talks are usually in a general non specific nature. How much are the rules bent? We'll never know. But Columbus granting permission to openly violate the CBA? Not gonna happen.

Also why would RyJo's agent want to play all his cards so far in advance? Would be pretty bad representation IMO. What's the rush from their point of view? The best Chevy could hope to get is how he feels about playing in Winnipeg positive or negative

You couldn't even trust that really.

If the rules allowed it you could reach a verbal agreement on a deal but if that is prohibited then the advance discussions would be pointless.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

There are often reports of teams letting a player's agent speak to other teams.

Why would RyJo's agent want to play his cards now? Because his client wants to get away from Columbus and Torts. If other teams don't have a chance to get some clarity about whether he would sign long term, RyJo might have to sit in and out of Torts' doghouse for two seasons.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
You couldn't even trust that really.

If the rules allowed it you could reach a verbal agreement on a deal but if that is prohibited then the advance discussions would be pointless.

Why would either side want to do that exactly?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
There are often reports of teams letting a player's agent speak to other teams.

Why would RyJo's agent want to play his cards now? Because his client wants to get away from Columbus and Torts. If other teams don't have a chance to get some clarity about whether he would sign long term, RyJo might have to sit in and out of Torts' doghouse for two seasons.

Those are players in the final year of their contract where they can actually negotiate numbers.

The thing is RyJo is guaranteed $6M next year and barring career ending injury a QO of $6M. He hasn't been making a case for a raise with his play. Wouldn't his agent want him to rebound first so he could extract the best deal possible? He's better off to wait it out. There's no incentive to do it early in his case.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Those are players in the final year of their contract where they can actually negotiate numbers.

The thing is RyJo is guaranteed $6M next year and barring career ending injury a QO of $6M. He hasn't been making a case for a raise with his play. Wouldn't his agent want him to rebound first so he could extract the best deal possible? He's better off to wait it out. There's no incentive to do it early in his case.

I hope he enjoys two years of Torts, then.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
What would RyJo realistically cost the Jets? I'm assuming the Jackets prefer a swap rather than picks/prospects. When 22/23 year old talent like Seguin and RyJo become available, you should be finding out prices at least.

Does Little and Morrissey get it done? If so, do we do it?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What would RyJo realistically cost the Jets? I'm assuming the Jackets prefer a swap rather than picks/prospects. When 22/23 year old talent like Seguin and RyJo become available, you should be finding out prices at least.

I think they'd rather go for a top RHD. They have Murray, with Werenski in the wings.

I'd try something like Myers and Roslovic as a starting point. I think the Jets need to hang onto their only bona fide LHD prospect.

If you want to expand it, then something around Myers, Little and Roslovic for RyJo and Werenski.

But there are big red flags for RyJo. Will the Jets be able to sign him long-term? How real / deep are his "attitude" issues?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB

I wouldn't include Morrissey i would add a top prospect, except any picks from last year and a middle pick.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why would either side want to do that exactly?

Do what? Reach a verbal agreement? Assuming a minimum level of integrity on both sides you reach agreement, make the trade and sign the contract July 1. If you don't reach agreement you don't make the trade.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Might be silly but just throwing it out there:

With the cap space this team has, could they make any kind of push for Stamkos? First thought was that he wouldn't want to come here, but Bobby Mac was on TSN and one of his teams was the Oilers.

Would the $$ it would take just hurt the team? (I know blah blah cheap AHL management crap)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Not Morrissey.

I think they'd rather go for a top RHD. They have Murray, with Werenski in the wings.

I'd try something like Myers and Roslovic as a starting point. I think the Jets need to hang onto their only bona fide LHD prospect.

If you want to expand it, then something around Myers, Little and Roslovic for RyJo and Werenski.

But there are big red flags for RyJo. Will the Jets be able to sign him long-term? How real / deep are his "attitude" issues?

Little and Roslovic. May not seem like much for RyJo but Little is pretty good, always comes to play, doesn't seem too likely to get hurt and has a good contract. Roslovic is a pretty promising local boy. Remember that they are the ones with a problem they need to trade. I like your expanded suggestion.

I would be more than a little leary of RyJo but I like the value of those 2 suggestions. If he is not working out here is time to trade him again. We might take a bit of a loss in that case but we could recover at least most of our payment. In the expanded deal we at least would come away with Werenski + whatever we get for RyJo in his final year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia