Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If the Jets think RyJo is a true #1C then I think you go for a Tarasenko sort of deal... 7-8 x $7.5M. If they don't think he's a true #1C, you don't even try to trade for him and build around Scheifele for now, or hope to hit the jackpot in the draft.

I never said the Jets shouldn't do it. I only said it's a high risk/reward move and pointing out the special difficulties finacially. I also think Columbus will want a 1st rd pick in return and I think that will not be something this franchise will want to part with this season. Maybe we need to acquire another 1st to make it possible. On top of that there are troubling motivation character issues involved. He is intriguing but scary at the same time.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I like RyJo and thought way back in the Kane days he would be a good player to trade Kane for (when RyJo was having his contract issues).

Personally though, this isn't one of those slam dunk, go get it done type deals. There are numerous red flags at play. The on ice play of late, effort levels, attitude issues that go back all the way to his first year, fitness, the heated contract and holdout process and the now 6M qualifier that could take him right to UFA....

If you're confident as an organization that some of these things are either overblown, or correctable, that's one thing. And on top of that, you'd still need to be near 100% certain (however you get there under the CBA), that you can resign him for something of decent value when his current deal is up. Otherwise you just gave up a boatload for a 2 year rental, during which I doubt we challenged for the cup considering we'd have to give up comparable talent in a trade.

For a player of this age and talent, every GM in the league has to inquire and do their due diligence. To not would be irresponsible as a GM IMO. BUT, if during that investigation you start to find out that maybe he isn't a guy you want to A) give up all that talent in a trade for and B) not a guy you want to give all that money to, I have no issue with the Jets deciding that RyJo isn't a guy to trade for and sign.

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
As far as I am concerned, the NHL has had other problem children drafted before and teams have traded for them. Carter, Richards, E. Kane, on and on. Would you take a chance on any of them to improve your team? Take the chance, it's all a lottery anyway.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Is Johansen really better than Scheifele? Or Little?

Looking at his stats, he gets a ton of his points on the PP. He's never been a really strong as a possession player.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Looking at his stats, he gets a ton of his points on the PP. He's never been a really strong as a possession player.

He's better on the pp but is inferior to both at ES imo. The question is can he develop into a better talent than either at ES to go with his elite pp production. He'd definitely be a risky acquisition.

folix

Jul 24, 2011

Lol prob not the best stat to quote given the current state of our PP.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
@Hunter- I agree he's a #1 center, but I don't think the gap between him and Scheif or Little is that big all things considered. But yea there is definite risk involved and somewhere along the line we HAVE to make a high risk/reward move. Can't always make the easy or safe move.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lol prob not the best stat to quote given the current state of our PP.

Maybe the Jets could start by putting our hottest offensive player on the #1 PP.

Ladd gets 50% more TOI on the PP than Scheifele. Inexplicable, really.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Maybe the Jets could start by putting our hottest offensive player on the #1 PP.

Ladd gets 50% more TOI on the PP than Scheifele. Inexplicable, really.

Little and Scheifele play the same role on the PP. It would be most likley that switch rather than Ladd Scheif.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To get true #1C you either have to suck really bad and get a really high pick (& a little lucky) or get a mid range pick and VERY lucky. Both of these are not likely in the Jets case IMO.

Next best way.....see what Dallas did with Seguin. They targeted a young potential superstar who had some maturity issues (not completely unlike RJ) but limitless ability and took a calculated risk. Well they hit a grand slam with that risk.

Is there risk involved? Absolutely. Could we strike out? Absolutely. Could we hit a grand slam? Most definitely. If we play it safe for another 5 years where are we going to be? Middle of the pack still? Decent but not great team? In sports dont we play to win? No one plays sports to finish 3rd or 5th or 10th spot.....we play to win. So let's play to win.

In baseball, when you go to the plate, you can either play it safe, choke up on the bat.....try for that single line drive or grounder.......or you can swing for the fence when the odds are slightly in your favour when you know the pitcher is going to throw his fastball straight over the plate.

To-date Chevy has choked up on the bat, here is a chance to try for that grand slam. How often do true elite #1C come up on the market? Once every few years maybe? We've got an experienced players coach under contract. Give him this raw talent and let PMO turn him into a leader, man and a superstar.

Ok I'm stepping off the soapbox now.

IMO if RJ just has work ethic issues, those can be fixed by PMO, Chevy, Chipman, vets on our team. If RJ was a cancer in the room, forget it no interest in him (but I have never heard that about him). This guy is pure skill, crazy potential. Chevy should research him, talk to former coaches, HS teachers (slightly kidding), trainers, etc......find out everything about him and his character. If he doesn't hear anything really bad, start talking very seriously to CBJ.

Sign Buff, easy to say yes I know.

Trade Ladd for 1st and decent prospect. Frees up cap space.

Trade either our or the 1st from Ladd trade (depending on value and timing) and Myers for RJ.....throw in a ok prospect if you must to sweeten it (Armia or BL, just not our best ones).

Before I do any of the above, I find out what RJ wants on his new contract. Reasonable? Trade for him......not reasonable? Don't do it.

But I would MUCH sooner spend 7 million long term per yr on RJ vs Ladd. Young Elite true #1C vs aging winger? Easy choice IMO.

Chevy do your research, all looks ok? If yes, swing for the fence. :popcorn:

Pretty much agree with this post. If the research favours RJ then go for it.

Trade Ladd both for the return and to free up cap space to pay RJ. He is going to cost at least 7 and probably more.

Myers + Roslovic + Armia or similar or a non-1st rd pick.
I put Roslovic in for a couple of reasons. 1)I think he has extra value in being a local boy for Columbus and being 1 year further into development plus probably being as good as or better than any pick this year outside the top 10. 2)I want to keep this years first because it looks like it will be in the top 10 and it will have a lottery chance at the top 3.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Look where we are in the standings. Maybe in the summer after the draft.

He who hesitates ....

If he is available now somebody is going to step up. Definitely wait long enough to do that due diligence but if the conclusion is favourable then it is time to go for the home run. We could do D&D for 10 years and still not have a player like that. We have tradeable assets. This isn't 4 years ago when we couldn't afford the price of anything good.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I like RyJo and thought way back in the Kane days he would be a good player to trade Kane for (when RyJo was having his contract issues).

Personally though, this isn't one of those slam dunk, go get it done type deals. There are numerous red flags at play. The on ice play of late, effort levels, attitude issues that go back all the way to his first year, fitness, the heated contract and holdout process and the now 6M qualifier that could take him right to UFA....

If you're confident as an organization that some of these things are either overblown, or correctable, that's one thing. And on top of that, you'd still need to be near 100% certain (however you get there under the CBA), that you can resign him for something of decent value when his current deal is up. Otherwise you just gave up a boatload for a 2 year rental, during which I doubt we challenged for the cup considering we'd have to give up comparable talent in a trade.

For a player of this age and talent, every GM in the league has to inquire and do their due diligence. To not would be irresponsible as a GM IMO. BUT, if during that investigation you start to find out that maybe he isn't a guy you want to A) give up all that talent in a trade for and B) not a guy you want to give all that money to, I have no issue with the Jets deciding that RyJo isn't a guy to trade for and sign.

Agree about the red flags -- way too many for my liking. Personally, no way I trade for him.

Then again, when Sequin was traded, were there not much the same and more red flags there? Pays your money, takes your chances I guess. Just don't think that the Jets have a great enough need for that type of player to be taking these chances on him.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Agree about the red flags -- way too many for my liking. Personally, no way I trade for him.

Then again, when Sequin was traded, were there not much the same and more red flags there? Pays your money, takes your chances I guess. Just don't think that the Jets have a great enough need for that type of player to be taking these chances on him.

Not sure in regards to the bolded. Seguin definitely had the partying and maturity issues, but I don't think I heard anything about his work ethic or conditioning (not saying they might not have existed, I just didn't hear of any). Which really do scare me in regards to RyJo (along with the contract situation that is a direct setup to UFA ville).

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
What would the Jets be looking in return for Enstrom? Do you guys need a defensemen coming back? or maybe a LW? Picks/prospects??

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not sure in regards to the bolded. Seguin definitely had the partying and maturity issues, but I don't think I heard anything about his work ethic or conditioning (not saying they might not have existed, I just didn't hear of any). Which really do scare me in regards to RyJo (along with the contract situation that is a direct setup to UFA ville).

I agree. I could see avoiding Seguin because of concerns about off-ice issues and maturity.

The concerns with RyJo relate more to his on-ice play and his contract status. I think his approach and on-ice play could be addressed. Any team trading for him would need to have very good reason for confidence that they could sign him long-term.

jetman

May 21, 2015
What would the Jets be looking in return for Enstrom? Do you guys need a defensemen coming back? or maybe a LW? Picks/prospects??

I don't know. If we are actually trading Enstrom I would be very confused. LHD isn't really a strength of the Jets, so I don't see why we would trade away our top one.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well considering he was a '15 1st....

That's my point. A '15 1st is still a first and in fact is better in several ways even though he was a late 1st. '15 was an exceptional class. He is now further along the development path and will be available 1 year sooner, all else being equal.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I don't know. If we are actually trading Enstrom I would be very confused. LHD isn't really a strength of the Jets, so I don't see why we would trade away our top one.

Yea, seems a little odd, not sure why there are rumors of him being moved.

Unless he has asked for a trade I really don't get why he'd be moved.

As a Sens fan I'd be ecstatic if we could make a move for him (or any reasonable LD for that matter) since our defense right now is terribad outside of Methot-Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad