Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
"Structure" means slotting guys relative to value. Smart GMs do this. If you get pulled out of it, you quickly mess up your cap.

I agree with this. Look how much discussion is happening over the cap challenged teams. Granted, some have star players getting obscene salaries but that is what cap management is all about. You can't sign a contract in a vacuum anymore. Every contract affects every other contract.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
All we know for sure is that he cost the Jets $3.3M for one year and cost the Flames 21.5 for 5 years. The rest was rumour and speculation. My speculation was that he wanted a 5 year deal all along and expected more in FA this year than he actually got. Whatever...he is gone now.

Frolik is a solid player and it would have been nice to retain him, but the message here is that the Jets believe his production can be replaced at a discount by Burmi, possibly Armia, and younger prospects in the not too distant future, with the savings to be used to catch 'bigger fish', as Buff might say...

I think you are spot on here. I don't like it. I don't think Buff is worth it. I would have preferred to have Burmi and Frolik and whatever return we would get for Buff. But Chevy felt he had to make that choice. He chose Buff at 7.x over the return + Frolik at 4.x. Right? Wrong? Time may tell or we may never be able to say. Not knowing what the return might have been there will probably never be certainty.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
FA has really slown down. There are still many good third/fourth line tweeners that we can pick up, and it seems like the more time that passes the more likely we can get them on the cheap and on one year deals.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm still hoping for Stempniak. That guy fit right into our team. I think he made our 4th line suck a lot less.

jetkarma*

"Structure" means slotting guys relative to value. Smart GMs do this. If you get pulled out of it, you quickly mess up your cap.

Caught some of the Illegal Curve show on the way to the rink today , they intimated that the Jets may have offered more $ to Frolik .

Certainly from listening to Chevy something about the Jets offer and what he got from the Flames doesn't or didn't particulary sit well with him imo . Not perhaps really ticked off , but I think he was frustrated in the way the end result came about .

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Could be right but I trust Friedman more than those guys. Especially when they are using words like may.

Friedman (and around the same time Lawless) reported jets top offer was 4x4 which was also what Froliks side was looking for last year.

Knowing negotiations any reason could be the cause for their split.
We'll never know for sure.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Caught some of the Illegal Curve show on the way to the rink today , they intimated that the Jets may have offered more $ to Frolik .

Certainly from listening to Chevy something about the Jets offer and what he got from the Flames doesn't or didn't particulary sit well with him imo . Not perhaps really ticked off , but I think he was frustrated in the way the end result came about .

That's why it didn't compute with me.

I get the salary structure argument, but Chevy seemed bothered and believed they gave Fro a competitive offer (and almost said better offer, but didn't).

So where is Chevy planning to spend his $ with this team? Ladd, Scheifele and Trouba most certainly. If he gives big dollars and term (anything over 3 yrs) to Buff, that's a mistake, IMO.

I just don't want to see a young player like Trouba moved because of Chevy's structure. Good teams keep their young franchise players at market value. It's too hard to get them, not to.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

The IllegalCurve people are just fans like us. They don't have inside information. I would listen to what guys like Lawless and credible journalists have said over speculation from other fans

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm still hoping for Stempniak. That guy fit right into our team. I think he made our 4th line suck a lot less.

Would love to have Stempniak back on a one year deal. He's perfect for competent 4th liner that can actually finish on the third.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Could be right but I trust Friedman more than those guys. Especially when they are using words like may.

Friedman (and around the same time Lawless) reported jets top offer was 4x4 which was also what Froliks side was looking for last year.

If our best offer was 4x4 I don't blame Frolik for walking, that's not a great offer.....it's an ok offer but not great. Good luck to Frolik, I hope he does well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Still think that figure came from Walsh and so I'm not sure we can trust it. I highly doubt that someone in the Jets organization is leaking info on their contract offers to pending free agents to media guys. It would be beyond stupid. On the other hand, I can see lots of reasons for agents to put out erroneous numbers. Think of how often the media has been wrong about offers.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Hm. I just thought of something. Marincin is a pretty decent prospect, right? A LHD, right? Would we want him? He'd be second behind Morrissey for depth.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Hm. I just thought of something. Marincin is a pretty decent prospect, right? A LHD, right? Would we want him? He'd be second behind Morrissey for depth.

Marincin would EASILY be our #2 LD right now. He could be a solid #2 LD as well going forward as well. I was seriously pissed Jets didn't get him for a 4th. He is a really really underrated player completely miss used by EDM. He is a big smooth skating slick passing D. He is not overly physical nor does he display elite offensive instincts but he is great at shot suppression and moves the play up quickly. I hate that Toronto finally got a solid D. Honestly I think EDM ditched Marincin to sign a player making over 6x as much that is the same player in Sekera (both great 2nd pairing puck moving defensive guys).

FreeBert44

Nov 2, 2014
[NHL]831735[/nhl]

This is encouraging. Shows up for really no reason and plans to spend the Summer in Winnipeg.

Last edited by a moderator:

FreeBert44

Nov 2, 2014
I couldn't post the video, but Burmi showed up at the development camp this morning to just meet the guys. Said he plans on spending the Summer in Winnipeg. Encouraging stuff.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I couldn't post the video, but Burmi showed up at the development camp this morning to just meet the guys. Said he plans on spending the Summer in Winnipeg. Encouraging stuff.

I think he really likes the city. There were stories from.his time here before that he used to play pick up hockey with kids around the city.

And Winnipeg itself has a very eastern European feel to it in general, so its not overall surprising that he enjoys it being Russian.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I think he really likes the city. There were stories from.his time here before that he used to play pick up hockey with kids around the city.

And Winnipeg itself has a very eastern European feel to it in general, so its not overall surprising that he enjoys it being Russian.

But why? I mean, there is not even park.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Marincin would EASILY be our #2 LD right now. He could be a solid #2 LD as well going forward as well. I was seriously pissed Jets didn't get him for a 4th. He is a really really underrated player completely miss used by EDM. He is a big smooth skating slick passing D. He is not overly physical nor does he display elite offensive instincts but he is great at shot suppression and moves the play up quickly. I hate that Toronto finally got a solid D. Honestly I think EDM ditched Marincin to sign a player making over 6x as much that is the same player in Sekera (both great 2nd pairing puck moving defensive guys).

I don't know if your assessment of Marincin is right or not but the Oil sure sold him cheaply. Same general type as Sekera but is he as good? Your description could also fit Chiarot but is he as good as Marincin?

There have been a lot of players moved in the last couple of weeks for surprisingly low returns. Keep leaving me with that same 'we should have been in on that' feeling.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Some of the questions were cringe worthy but I really love the video and loved the answer about the number :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad