Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Wheelee

Agreed, this is what I'm saying as well.

If I could change one thing about the entire team last year......it would be them taking all those dumb pens. Hurt us more than injuries or anything else last year.....brutal. They need to address it this year and not duplicate it.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Wheelee

Agreed, this is what I'm saying as well.

If I could change one thing about the entire team last year......it would be them taking all those dumb pens. Hurt us more than injuries or anything else last year.....brutal. They need to address it this year and not duplicate it.

I don't think that's possible. Unless they actually try.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hunter I think you are selling Ehlers potential production next year short. Even if he gets 35 points that's still better production than Buff at forward. I fully expect Ehlers to be more impactful at that position next year.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
If I shared the same faith as Romang that a guy like Armia is going to see minutes over Thorburn, Fraser, Peluso, Albert, etc. I would be a lot less pessimistic about next season. Not in terms of the end result points wise but in terms of the decisions TNSE has made thus far.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If I shared the same faith as Romang that a guy like Armia is going to see minutes over Thorburn, Fraser, Peluso, Albert, etc. I would be a lot less pessimistic about next season. Not in terms of the end result points wise but in terms of the decisions TNSE has made thus far.

Again, I'm basing it on Chevy's press conference. He has stated that he likes our prospects earlier, but he actually went out of his way to mention 5 prospects that are close to the NHL, and it sounded on him last season like Armia was gonna get a shot before he got injured.

As I said, I'm following Gin's example this off season. Drinking tons of whisky Keeping my glass half full.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Hunter I think you are selling Ehlers potential production next year short. Even if he gets 35 points that's still better production than Buff at forward. I fully expect Ehlers to be more impactful at that position next year.

Couple points here:

I think if Buff played a full year at forward (including PP) he would deliver 35-45 points at this point in his career. I'm certainly not advocating this, but we're just shooting hypethical scenarios here.

I don't see Ehlers giving us 35-45 points at forward next year (including PP).

I just trying to compare apples to apples with the whole PP comments, not saying it would happen, just comparing likely production between two players given the same opportunities.

But your comment is going to get me to start a new thread.....forecasting Ehlers final point production for the year.....assuming he makes the team. I want to see what you and others estimate he will get.....some of you seem very......optimistic. :)

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I'm in minority, but I give Petan a better shot at making team over Ehlers.

Joel Ward would fit in very nicely at X. :)

ladd-little-wheeler
Perreault-scheifele-X
Burmi-Lowry-Stafford
Armia-Petan-Thorburn
Peluso

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Again, I'm basing it on Chevy's press conference. He has stated that he likes our prospects earlier, but he actually went out of his way to mention 5 prospects that are close to the NHL, and it sounded on him last season like Armia was gonna get a shot before he got injured.

As I said, I'm following Gin's example this off season. Drinking tons of whisky Keeping my glass half full.

IMO Armia will be the closet to a lock in making our team this season in TC. He'll likely make it this year (if not at TC, during season) or be traded (b/c we feel he'll never make it). Time to sink or swim for Mr Armia, for the record I think he makes it but with limited success.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011

ladd-little-wheeler
Perreault-scheifele-X
Burmi-Lowry-Stafford
Armia-Petan-Thorburn
Peluso

I don't want Petan here if he's playing 4th line minutes. It's a waste of his development. 3rd line or AHL

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I don't want Petan here if he's playing 4th line minutes. It's a waste of his development. 3rd line or AHL

Didn't Scheifele start on 4th line? Gotta learn defensive responsibilities before making jump to more minutes.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
IMO Armia will be the closet to a lock in making our team this season in TC. He'll likely make it this year (if not at TC, during season) or be traded (b/c we feel he'll never make it). Time to sink or swim for Mr Armia, for the record I think he makes it but with limited success.

I don't think he'll ever be the player he was drafted to be. However, if he plays a good defensive game, I think he can be a good third liner, who can chip in with some nice goals on account of that wrister of his. I think he could be a trigger man on the PP.

We'll just send Petan out there and tell him to pass the puck to Armia. Should lead to at least a 35-40 goal season.:sarcasm:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Couple points here:

I think if Buff played a full year at forward (including PP) he would deliver 35-45 points at this point in his career. I'm certainly not advocating this, but we're just shooting hypethical scenarios here.

I don't see Ehlers giving us 35-45 points at forward next year (including PP).

I just trying to compare apples to apples with the whole PP comments, not saying it would happen, just comparing likely production between two players given the same opportunities.

But your comment is going to get me to start a new thread.....forecasting Ehlers final point production for the year.....assuming he makes the team. I want to see what you and others estimate he will get.....some of you seem very......optimistic. :)

I'm not sure why don't see him scoring that. His two main comps for production in the Q in Drouin and Huberdeau should provide a basis for NHL production for Ehlers in his rookie year.

Huberdeau had 31 in 48 as a rookie which projects to 53 points over the entire year. He averaged roughly 17 minutes of icetime per game with 2 and a half of that being on the pp.

Drouin scored 32 in 70 games (project 37 over 82) while averaging just over 13 minutes a game with just under 2 minutes on the pp.

I expect that Ehlers will be utilized closer to Drouin than Huberdeau so I realistically expect somewhere between 35 and 40 points. We don't have the offensive depth Tampa has so he could score closer to 45 if he pushes Stafford out of the top 6 sometime next year.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't think he'll ever be the player he was drafted to be. However, if he plays a good defensive game, I think he can be a good third liner, who can chip in with some nice goals on account of that wrister of his. I think he could be a trigger man on the PP.

We'll just send Petan out there and tell him to pass the puck to Armia. Should lead to at least a 35-40 goal season.:sarcasm:

Agreed. I think he will be a decent bottom 6 guy in time.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary

I totally understand where you're coming from it's just that I've seen enough perplexing line up decisions and call ups since year one that I'm pretty pessimistic despite what Chevy says. Again that's not to say that you're wrong to have faith, I just personally haven't seen enough "action" over the years to back up the "talk".

For example would O'Dell have been worse than some of the guys we played on the 4th line the last 2 years? Not in the 41 games I've seen, he should have likely got more games and more TOI. I know some are going to say "He doesn't replace the role that a Thorburn or Peluso plays!" and I guess that's part of the point I'm trying to make.

Or another example being Chiarot, was he perfect? No, but Stuart was mostly awful (his number reflect that less so because Trouba is amazing) and guess who rode the pine or was scratched after a bad game or a bad play? It certainly wasn't Stuart.

Just far too much loyalty to bad vets for me to have my glass half full at this point.

Last edited:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

ladd-little-wheeler
Perreault-scheifele-X
Burmi-Lowry-Stafford
Armia-Petan-Thorburn
Peluso

Interested in knowing why you feel this way. I personally think Ehlers has proven everything he can at the Jr level, but if he doesn't make the team he plays in the AHL then? Petan I'm not too sure where he stands.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'm not sure why don't see him scoring that. His two main comps for production in the Q in Drouin and Huberdeau should provide a basis for NHL production for Ehlers in his rookie year.

Huberdeau had 31 in 48 as a rookie which projects to 53 points over the entire year. He averaged roughly 17 minutes of icetime per game with 2 and a half of that being on the pp.

Drouin scored 32 in 70 games (project 37 over 82) while averaging just over 13 minutes a game with just under 2 minutes on the pp.

I expect that Ehlers will be utilized closer to Drouin than Huberdeau so I realistically expect somewhere between 35 and 40 points. We don't have the offensive depth Tampa has so he could score closer to 45 if he pushes Stafford out of the top 6 sometime next year.

Fair points.....poll is up now. :)

I might rethink my estimate when I vote. :laugh:

Ehlers I might go as high as 35-40 max IMO, if given lots of prime ice time by Pmo.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Interested in knowing why you feel this way. I personally think Ehlers has proven everything he can at the Jr level, but if he doesn't make the team he plays in the AHL then? Petan I'm not too sure where he stands.

I think it's Jets or CHL for Ehlers, isn't it? Don't think he can play AHL this year. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I like Petan's play away from the puck and his defensive awareness. Not sure Ehlers is at that same level in that regard. Helps that Petan is year older and been in system one year longer. If I'm wrong in October, then I'm wrong. Just my prediction.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fair points.....poll is up now. :)

I might rethink my estimate when I vote. :laugh:

Ehlers I might go as high as 35-40 max IMO, if given lots of prime ice time by Pmo.

If Ehlers makes the team, which is still in doubt I would be disappointed in 35-40 points. Lowry had 23 last year, mostly in the 2nd half and he is nowhere near the offensive player that Ehlers is. Ehlers may not match Lowry's net contribution but he should score better than that.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele started on the third line with some pp time.

He did play on the 4th line when the Jets gave him a look in the lockout season (before he was sent back to Barrie). And I'm not sure where you'd rank that line he played on in 2011 with Brett MacLean and Kendel McArdle...5th?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think it's Jets or CHL for Ehlers, isn't it? Don't think he can play AHL this year. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I like Petan's play away from the puck and his defensive awareness. Not sure Ehlers is at that same level in that regard. Helps that Petan is year older and been in system one year longer. If I'm wrong in October, then I'm wrong. Just my prediction.

You're correct: NHL or back to junior for Ehlers...

...which is why I think we see Ehlers with the Jets, and Petan with the Moose as one of the first callups. Ehlers really has nothing left to prove at the Junior level, and Petan could use some seasoning with bigger/faster pros before landing on the Jets roster.

I say this as a huge Petan fan as well - I'd love nothing more than to see him make it out of TC, but believe we'll see him with the Moose first.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He did play on the 4th line when the Jets gave him a look in the lockout season (before he was sent back to Barrie). And I'm not sure where you'd rank that line he played on in 2011 with Brett MacLean and Kendel McArdle...5th?

True, was referring to his first full year. I don't see them going the 4thbline route with Petan as they have the option for him to play big minutes in the AHL which they didn't have for Mark.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
You're correct: NHL or back to junior for Ehlers...

...which is why I think we see Ehlers with the Jets, and Petan with the Moose as one of the first callups. Ehlers really has nothing left to prove at the Junior level, and Petan could use some seasoning with bigger/faster pros before landing on the Jets roster.

I say this as a huge Petan fan as well - I'd love nothing more than to see him make it out of TC, but believe we'll see him with the Moose first.

That's what scares me...don't want to force Ehlers into lineup due to lack of his other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad