Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Other than the Connor pick, Burmi coming back... offseason has been a bust so far.

- We needed an upgrade over Stafford, likely would have required a trade.

- Stuart on the 2nd pairing, Ondrej still starting in net in year five. That #### is unacceptable. Our GM continues to ignore glaring weaknesses that will handicap the team's chances of making the playoffs.

Byfuglien has to be moved without an extension.

But who should we have signed? This was a.very weak FA year and the market seemed to be falling as the day went on. Being patient seems to be the correct strategy this year

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
But who should we have signed? This was a.very weak FA year and the market seemed to be falling as the day went on. Being patient seems to be the correct strategy this year

All Chevy had to do was resign Frolik for what the Flames did (perhaps even a little more) and resign Stempniak and this entire board would have been happy. [mod]

But instead what do we have? Our apparent "no interest in Stempniak", a meh deal with Stafford, resigning a guy who is likely to play 4 minutes a night in Peluso and a bunch of AHL signings. And based on his presser yesterday, he is not particularly looking for anyone. At this rate I bet we resign Slater.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
There was only one disappointment in the offseason so far: losing Frolik.
There are no other top6 forwards or top4 defensemen which we should have signed.
We don't have a lot of trade material. No available roster players with value. That means, for example, that we couldn't trade for a player like Oshie. Top6 wingers available for futures? Kessel (nope). 33yo Patrick Sharp (not traded yet). Trade for Sharp? Why?
Mark Stuart will not start the season on the second pairing.
The goalie situation has been beaten to death. There is no quick fix. Right now, the goalie market is dead. Every other team has found their tandem.
Byfuglien, Ladd. They decide whether the offseason will be a success or a failure.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I for one am happy our GM doesn't overpay on FA frenzy day, The only player I wanted him to sign yesterday was Fro and I have been critical of Chevy for not getting it done.

Which GM has overpaid this FreeAgency? All I see is reasonable signings all around to improve their teams. Beuchamin is slight overpay but nothing crazy. You are building a strawman and false choice that doesn't exist.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Which GM has overpaid this FreeAgency? All I see is reasonable signings all around to improve their teams. Beuchamin is slight overpay but nothing crazy. You are building a strawman and false choice that doesn't exist.

D seem to still get their $$$$ Forwards seem to have taken a haircut in this year's market.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
When have I ever praised Chevy.? He's far from perfect and I'm a bit insulted that you characterize my comment that way Why would you attach that to me? Because I don't join in with you anf pile on?

I for one am happy our GM doesn't overpay on FA frenzy day, The only player I wanted him to sign yesterday was Fro and I have been critical of Chevy for not getting it done.

I am not negative about our GM, only slightly positive, yet i am far from someone who calls him perfect. Why would you assosciate me with that? Just beacause I won't join you in piling on? Labeling me incorrectly does not help any of your arguments.

Your right AC, sorry.

For the record I don't consider myself as "piling on". Yes I was critical of Chevy for not signing Frolik when he signed a 1 year deal, that was the time to do it.....not now. Chevy tried to pinch pennies (dollars/term) then and resulted in a 1 year deal and likely hurt feelings with Frolik. Bringing on the end.

Only a few guys that were decent this FA, Frolik was one of them. It's over.....now we have to live with the results this season....good or bad.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

Overpayment is the wrong word this offseason. The only forward which might be overpaid is Beleskey. Is he a legit top6 forward with his career-high thirty-something points? Unsure.
Problem: there are no desirable top6 free agents for us after Frolik. Williams and Ward are both pretty old and would mess with our cap next year.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
$13.4m in Cap Space. Gotta think there's at least one more decent move in store, no?

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
To be honest who out there that is left would you call decent?

I'd love to see Chevy put an offer sheet out for Mikkel Boedker. Arizona probably couldn't/wouldn't match it if it were a good offer around 4M. Would be good for Ehlers to have another Dane on the team

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Wow, alot of doom and gloom here...unwarranted....Ehlers, Petan, Copp and Armia criminally underrated.

They are going to make a big contribution this year. No need for hand wringing despair.

Chevy is going to give his youth a shot, if he needs a vet or two, he'll add one.

He's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd love to see Chevy put an offer sheet out for Mikkel Boedker. Arizona probably couldn't/wouldn't match it if it were a good offer around 4M. Would be good for Ehlers to have another Dane on the team

Unfortunately, the Jets traded their 2016 3rd round pick to the Hurricanes as part of the Tlusty deal, so they can't sign anyone to an offer sheet with an AAV in the following ranges:

$1,205,377 to $1,826,328 (3rd round pick)
$3,652,659 to $5,478,986 (1st and 3rd round picks)
$5,478,986 to $7,305,316 (1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks)
$7,305,316 to $9,131,645 (2x1st, 1x2nd and 1x3rd round picks)

The only offers they could make are:

< $1,205,377 (no compensation)
$1,826,328 to $3,652,659 (2nd round pick)
> $9,131,645 (4 x 1st round picks).

Pretty sure Boedker doesn't sign a $3.64M offer sheet - and if he did the Coyotes would easily match.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Being swept by the Ducks, where do the Jets need improvement or upgrade? For me, it's top 9 scoring, a contributing 4th line, top 4 LH dman and goaltending upgrade.

Ehlers, Petan or Armia may help in top 9.

Don't see any upgrade on d. Lots of bodies, but few solid options, Imo. Chiarot, Stu, Postma, Harrison, Clitsome and Pardy are borderline NHL players. Chiarot may be the best of that bunch, which is depressing, actually. Morrissey may help, but we need better options here, Imo.

And unless Pavs is injured and Hellebuyck is called up, I think our goaltending takes a step back next year.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Unfortunately, the Jets traded their 2016 3rd round pick to the Hurricanes as part of the Tlusty deal, so they can't sign anyone to an offer sheet with an AAV in the following ranges:

$1,205,377 to $1,826,328 (3rd round pick)
$3,652,659 to $5,478,986 (1st and 3rd round picks)
$5,478,986 to $7,305,316 (1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks)
$7,305,316 to $9,131,645 (2x1st, 1x2nd and 1x3rd round picks)

The only offers they could make are:

< $1,205,377 (no compensation)
$1,826,328 to $3,652,659 (2nd round pick)
> $9,131,645 (4 x 1st round picks).

Pretty sure Boedker doesn't sign a $3.64M offer sheet - and if he did the Coyotes would easily match.

Dang....good points. Boedker would be a perfect replacement for Frolik. Maybe the Coyotes would entertain a trade for Burmi. That would put them right at the cap floor which is their target.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Ehlers is a lock.

Burmi is underrated by many in this forum.

Copp, Armia and Petan are very strong options and I would like to see them as options over short term vets. It will be better for the Jets in the medium and long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad