Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Go..

I think Buff and Ladd are very highly looked at in the Jets room and by management and owner , one thing about Chipman is he is very loyal , hence giving Noel the head coaching job when Noel was not a NHL caliber coach . If i had to bet , i think Buff and Ladd are going to both get signed long term .

Alright Chevy time to see a re-signing today.

Love to see ror on our team, but don't love the Avs asking price or ror contract demands.

We need more top end talent (all areas) on this team.

Yes. We finished where we likely should have, a bubble playoff team (could have gone either way, IMO - I wouldn't have gambled on Pav being the hero). Much as I've advocated moving Buff his loss will create a substantial hole, depending on what's coming back. If we step back a bit due to moving him then what to do with Ladd? I feel like we need both Ladd/Buff to compete at the higher level and for leadership but that's just me. Ah well, something hopefully interesting happens over the next ten days.

Maybe I am wrong but I think Buff scored himself some points with management when he took a stand against Kane's track suit thing.

Agreed. I'd love to have ROR as well. Either as a C with Little on the wing, or vice versa.

But also agree that I wouldn't want to give up a boatload of assets for him, especially if he's also wanting a contract north of 6.5 million (guess).

Agreed.

Paul has went on record stating he liked ror and that's he's a good player (played for Paul inEurope).

But the Avs won't let him go cheap and ror agent is a money grabbing........agent.

We would have offer the Avs a good hockey trade to get their attention and then pay ror full on Ufa top dollar. I shudder at those two costs.

But he would great in our top 6.

Radar is a tremendous hockey player and would love him on Winnipeg if worst case scenario was to happen but an educated guess would have Radar dealt to fix a glaring problem on LHD which isn't exactly a strength for Winnipeg either. Winnipeg threw a big contract at Stastny last season so at the time they were open to taking in a big contract or overpaying for services of a good center.

I remember Winnipeg being linked to O'Reilly rumours either last off-season or during the season so interest was expressed in the past. I just hope internally either Radars camp or Colorado find a solution to keep him long term as he is one of the most complete players i've ever seen with extraordinarily insane hockey IQ and his almost perfect positioning. Two seasons ago he had 2 PIMs in 80 game season and the penalty came off a face-off when his stick broke from the face-off and he didn't realize and continued to fight for the puck.

Just don't hate on character issues as its all financially from his father and newport sports. He's always played the hardest and cared the most out of any player from the Avalanche and took the loss to the Wild the hardest.

ryan-o-reilly.jpg

Will be an extremely difficult day seeing him traded.

Do you think the Jets sign Brad Richards?

Would be a good idea in my opinion.

I thought he would be a decent pick up last season for a mil, but if he can't refind his game in Chicago...he won't here either.

Buff for ROR?
I think I poohed on that suggestion when someone else made it but there is a certain logic. Both are entering their last year before UFA and both will be expensive to sign.

I think both teams would want to be allowed to negotiate before agreeing to the trade.

In the last days, with the Detroit rumors going on, I had some weird fantasy of a three-way trade:
WPG: O'Reilly
DET: Byfuglien
COL: Mantha; defense (Quincey? Ouellet?); stuff
Balance it out.

Could work. My first thought was why not just go back to the direct trade with Detroit but there is a kind of funny mirror image between us and Colorado that could suit this.

They have high-end forward talent but lack the supporting cast and are shallow at D. We have a great supporting cast but lack high-end talent. We have plenty of depth at D though not spread out optimally. It would be a complicated trade for the GMs to work out. Do those kinds of deals even happen anymore?

Depending on what we have to add I might consider that deal. Buff being older we would likely have to add something. Plus I think the Avs ideally want a LHD guy not RHD.

I was saying a Buff trade on or before draft day, as I think there will be a fair amount of player movement very soon. Also throwing in picks either way might be a way to get a deal done. But it is appearing that Chevy will be working to re-sign Buff I'm just hoping it is something that doesn't come back to haunt us in a few years. Maybe $28-30 M over 4 years gets it done?

The thing that would scare me about a ROR deal, is I don't think any rational offer gets him re-signed. He seems set on testing the free market...even more so than Frolik.

If he signs a 4 year deal, he should fire his agent. He should be signing a 6-7yr deal around 7+ mil.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Got caught in the thread change.

If he signs a 4 year deal, he should fire his agent. He should be signing a 6-7yr deal around 7+ mil.

I know that is what I'm worried about. I think Buff goes for the home run contract. If I were him my starting point would be 8 years with a full NTC. Why wouldn't you? The only thing Chevy really has on his side "might" be Buff's desire to be the Alpha dog on the Jets and have a familiar "band of brothers" to play with rather then going to another team with an established hierarchy. No way to know how important this is to him.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Mcpw I like your trade offer for ROR & Helm, both bring good qualities the Jets desperately need.

Love to see a move like that. Chevy pulls that off I might get Chevy's name on my jersey. :laugh:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I agree this Buff/Burmi for Reilly and Helm is very good for the Jets. I would cringe a bit, well more than that probably, if we had to give up pick 25 as well......would deal the 47th though...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Got caught in the thread change.

I know that is what I'm worried about. I think Buff goes for the home run contract. If I were him my starting point would be 8 years with a full NTC. Why wouldn't you? The only thing Chevy really has on his side "might" be Buff's desire to be the Alpha dog on the Jets and have a familiar "band of brothers" to play with rather then going to another team with an established hierarchy. No way to know how important this is to him.

If he is contemplating trading Buff Chevy would try now to sign him. If Buff's price is too high he gets traded. This is the time to be finding out what the alternatives are.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Interesting conversation moments by Peter Tessier about Buff and regarding Chevys comments at the TD. Very interesting, maybe Chevy has a bigger deal in mind this summer. Come on Chevy get creative, add some talent up front to that top 6.

Byfuglien

Before Jets fans start trading him all over the place remember this- every July he submits a list of 5 teams he will not be traded too. There has been some conflicting information about if it’s 5 teams not to be traded or he allows. Right now it appears the former is accurate and I had it wrong in previous blogs and tweets- my apologies. This gives Chevy 24 options to work with should this be a direction he and ownership choose to pursue. Remember this Byfuglien is the highest paid Jet next season at 6 million salary (5.25 cap hit) so I’m sure calls are happening.

I’ll leave this here as my paraphrase of a Kevin Cheveldayoff quote from his presser after the trade deadline… “I had some discussion where some ideas were presented that we agreed to revisit later, after the seasonâ€. Why this quote needs to be remembered is because Chevy was active coming down to the trade deadline and it suggests potentially bigger, different things could happen.

If you’re a fan you either believe in one of two things with the Jets: stay the course of draft and develop or capitalize on the good work done there and begin releasing assets for different value. With Chevy being more active on the trade front in his 4th year as GM than ever before, it appears he might be able to do more now that he has more to work with. Combine that with holes to fill through free agency and the composition of the roster, there’s good reason to believe that with teams in cap trouble and Jets sitting on assets and cap space much could be talked about in the coming weeks involving Winnipeg.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I thought even that had to wait until they were in the final year of contract...which doesn't happen until July 1st.

I've not been able to find a clear answer to that. I don't see a reason to prohibit it. It is not like tampering with another team's property. But who knows what reasoning might be behind it?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting conversation moments by Peter Tessier about Buff and regarding Chevys comments at the TD. Very interesting, maybe Chevy has a bigger deal in mind this summer. Come on Chevy get creative, add some talent up front to that top 6.

Byfuglien

Before Jets fans start trading him all over the place remember this- every July he submits a list of 5 teams he will not be traded too. There has been some conflicting information about if it’s 5 teams not to be traded or he allows. Right now it appears the former is accurate and I had it wrong in previous blogs and tweets- my apologies. This gives Chevy 24 options to work with should this be a direction he and ownership choose to pursue. Remember this Byfuglien is the highest paid Jet next season at 6 million salary (5.25 cap hit) so I’m sure calls are happening.

I’ll leave this here as my paraphrase of a Kevin Cheveldayoff quote from his presser after the trade deadline… “I had some discussion where some ideas were presented that we agreed to revisit later, after the seasonâ€. Why this quote needs to be remembered is because Chevy was active coming down to the trade deadline and it suggests potentially bigger, different things could happen.

If you’re a fan you either believe in one of two things with the Jets: stay the course of draft and develop or capitalize on the good work done there and begin releasing assets for different value. With Chevy being more active on the trade front in his 4th year as GM than ever before, it appears he might be able to do more now that he has more to work with. Combine that with holes to fill through free agency and the composition of the roster, there’s good reason to believe that with teams in cap trouble and Jets sitting on assets and cap space much could be talked about in the coming weeks involving Winnipeg.

That is what I've been thinking/hoping for a while now. And the team most in need of shedding salary and a team Chevy has connections to is the Hawks. We might be in for an interesting few weeks.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Can't sign him now, but he sure can talk about a potential contract.....just can't sign it.

Only if the player and his agent are ready to talk. From their (player and agent) point of view...what's the rush? Buff's probably fishing somewhere.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've not been able to find a clear answer to that. I don't see a reason to prohibit it. It is not like tampering with another team's property. But who knows what reasoning might be behind it?

Even if this is the case there is no way teams and players aren't cheating here. Way too many deals close immediately after for negotiations to begin at that time. I have a hard time believing that Chevy doesn't have a pretty good idea about where both Buff and Ladd stand with regards to contract demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad