Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
You persist on not liking Bailey and CDH. You have given no argument of any kind to explain your position. I'll call DeKeyser and CDH a sawoff. Bailey is way ahead of Helm. Thus the difference. You don't like the 2 Isles players. I do. We disagree. I can't discuss something with someone who merely insists on a position without giving any supporting argument. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Well except I did. And so did Huffer. He became a .54 ppg player this season playing with Tavares. Before that...nothing. He is a third line player at best that has little to no defensive game or physicality. If you think I'm wrong ask an Isles fans. Most have been more then willing to ship him off for nothing for a long ass time man.

And I actually had no problem with either player really as part of a potential return for Buff. I just thought that adding two large pieces to it was over kill when it could have been had for less

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well except I did. And so did Huffer. He became a .54 ppg player this season playing with Tavares. Before that...nothing. He is a third line player at best that has little to no defensive game or physicality. If you think I'm wrong ask an Isles fans. Most have been more then willing to ship him off for nothing for a long ass time man.

And I actually had no problem with either player really as part of a potential return for Buff. I just thought that adding two large pieces to it was over kill when it could have been had for less

You did not. The closest you came was that same claim that he achieved .54 ppg only this year. I gave you that number and it is the last 2 years combined. The rest of what you say here, now is what Huffer said. You had not made that argument earlier in this discussion. This past year he scored .59 ppg. The year before it was .49 ppg and the year before that it was .50. The 3 years combined came to .53 ppg. The Tavares effect from .49 to .59? Quite likely but why are the Isles playing a 3rd line winger on their 1st line? Take a look at his stats compared to Drew Stafford. See for yourself.

Most Isles fans want to ship him off for nothing? Great! Done. Is that like 'most' Jets fans wanting to sell Kane and Bogo for an old jock strap? What some fans say on a forum is not data. It is not an argument although it will often start one.

You may be quite correct that I proposed offering too much I conceded that possibility right at the start but you are offering too little. If you can get those 2 players for 1 year of Buff alone I will nominate you for armchair GM of the year. I added 1 larg(ish) piece and a medium piece to Buff. Burmi is not a large piece. It is quite possible that Buff and the 25th would be enough. I would be only too happy to not have to include Burmi.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
You did not. The closest you came was that same claim that he achieved .54 ppg only this year. I gave you that number and it is the last 2 years combined. The rest of what you say here, now is what Huffer said. You had not made that argument earlier in this discussion. This past year he scored .59 ppg. The year before it was .49 ppg and the year before that it was .50. The 3 years combined came to .53 ppg. The Tavares effect from .49 to .59? Quite likely but why are the Isles playing a 3rd line winger on their 1st line? Take a look at his stats compared to Drew Stafford. See for yourself.

Most Isles fans want to ship him off for nothing? Great! Done. Is that like 'most' Jets fans wanting to sell Kane and Bogo for an old jock strap? What some fans say on a forum is not data. It is not an argument although it will often start one.

You may be quite correct that I proposed offering too much I conceded that possibility right at the start but you are offering too little. If you can get those 2 players for 1 year of Buff alone I will nominate you for armchair GM of the year. I added 1 larg(ish) piece and a medium piece to Buff. Burmi is not a large piece. It is quite possible that Buff and the 25th would be enough. I would be only too happy to not have to include Burmi.

Safe to say that I am incredibly happy that you are not our GM. How much did people think Suter was going to go for when he was in his final year? Or how about Weber when it looked like he was going to move on? How about Kris Letang when he was a year away from free agency?

How much did Jordan Staal go for in his final year when it was well known he was only going to Carolina? How about old man Iginla at the trade deadline as a rental? Or Bouwmeester for that matter?

Byfuglien is an all star defenseman that is near the top of his class in points and possession? Why is he so different then the rest? Why does he get traded for a pittance and no one else does?

Age? Weight? Defensive Prowess?

All over blown. At the end of the day the facts about Buff are these. He is a high level dman. Great puck mover. Great on the pp.

More importantly....there are 24 teams that we can trade him to. Do you honestly think that not a single one of them can top that Isles offer for Buff alone if they truly believe they are a Buff away from a cup?

And you know why? Because it's all that matters. Not Draft and develop. Not prospects or picks. It's about winning the Stanley cup, and every single GM in the league is willing to sacrifice it all to get there.

Sometimes I think that we as Jets fans don't see that, because our GM is our GM....but guys like him are rare in the business. When teams get close, nothing is sacred.

LA, Rags, Caps, Pens, Florida, Isles, Ducks, SJ, Van(maybe), Detroit, TB, Minnesota, St Louis....etc

All teams that are not going to give a **** about the next year or the year after. Teams that genuinely think that they win the cup this year and that's just of the top of my head.

All the reasons that are stated for buffs value being **** are the reasons of fans not GMs. The exact same thing you called me out on before. To a GM though...winning is EVERYTHING!

For this reason someone will pay through the nose to get Byfuglien. Just watch.

Or he'll get resigned. Which ever.

Either way, Im done talking about this.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Safe to say that I am incredibly happy that you are not our GM. How much did people think Suter was going to go for when he was in his final year? Or how about Weber when it looked like he was going to move on? How about Kris Letang when he was a year away from free agency?

How much did Jordan Staal go for in his final year when it was well known he was only going to Carolina? How about old man Iginla at the trade deadline as a rental? Or Bouwmeester for that matter?

Byfuglien is an all star defenseman that is near the top of his class in points and possession? Why is he so different then the rest? Why does he get traded for a pittance and no one else does?

All over blown. At the end of the day the facts about Buff are these. He is a high level dman. Great puck mover. Great on the pp.

More importantly....there are 24 teams that we can trade him to. Do you honestly think that not a single one of them can top that Isles offer for Buff alone if they truly believe they are a Buff away from a cup?

And you know why? Because it's all that matters. Not Draft and develop. Not prospects or picks. It's about winning the Stanley cup, and every single GM in the league is willing to sacrifice it all to get there.

Sometimes I think that we as Jets fans don't see that, because our GM is our GM....but guys like him are rare in the business. When teams get close, nothing is sacred.

LA, Rags, Caps, Pens, Florida, Isles, Ducks, SJ, Van(maybe), Detroit, TB, Minnesota, St Louis....etc

All teams that are not going to give a **** about the next year or the year after. Teams that genuinely think that they win the cup this year and that's just of the top of my head.

All the reasons that are stated for buffs value being **** are the reasons of fans not GMs. The exact same thing you called me out on before. To a GM though...winning is EVERYTHING!

My exact feelings about Buff as-well :yo:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This was never about Buff or his value. It was about the perceived value of the return.

I tried to just agree to disagree some time back but you wanted to continue. So we are both done here.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I also agree completely about Buff' s value . I would rather resign Buff and put out feelers for Enstrom , see if we could get a good LHD that is a little younger and bigger . Ok all the Enstrom fanboys can freak out now:shakehead

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
This was never about Buff or his value. It was about the perceived value of the return.

I tried to just agree to disagree some time back but you wanted to continue. So we are both done here.

That is exactly what this is about. Buffs value. You think its low, and I think it's ridiculously high and the package that you were willing to trade him for may not have been all that bad, except for the fact we added two impact pieces to get it done.

If we are trading that package we can do by far better then that. That is not an opinion. That is a fact. You need to look no further then precedent that has been set on trades of previous players to know that I'm right.

And while you "tried to agree to disagree" you don't do that by taking pot shots in replies to other posters.

Not that it changes that trade from being bad.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I also agree completely about Buff' s value . I would rather resign Buff and put out feelers for Enstrom , see if we could get a good LHD that is a little younger and bigger . Ok all the Enstrom fanboys can freak out now:shakehead

We would need to find a suitable replacement for Enstrom first or have one coming back that is just as good.

Not to.mention that he has a full NTC.

That being said...we shouldn't trade him. Night in and night out, he's our best defensman. There is this huge idea that since he's small that he is a liability or something...but hitting and physicality does not mean good defense. In fact it means quite the opposite. If your hitting someone, it means that you don't have the puck.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
That is exactly what this is about. Buffs value. You think its low, and I think it's ridiculously high and the package that you were willing to trade him for may not have been all that bad, except for the fact we added two impact pieces to get it done.

If we are trading that package we can do by far better then that. That is not an opinion. That is a fact. You need to look no further then precedent that has been set on trades of previous players to know that I'm right.

And while you "tried to agree to disagree" you don't do that by taking pot shots in replies to other posters.

If we don't sign Buff this offseason we will get best value for him at trade deadline. Those close to the cap and perceived to do well in playoffs will pay well to put them in best position and more will be able to acquire him for a small part of season and not overly concerned about resigning him.

jetman

May 21, 2015

Not sure any team would want to trade a bigger, younger LHD for a older smaller LHD, without us adding quite a bit.

Trading Enstrom for a non-LHD doesn't make sense for us, since we have no other player that can adequately fill our top LHD, (at least until 1 of our RHD has played ~20 games as a LHD to get used to it.) Plus I think Enstrom has a full NMC so he would have to waive that...

Enstrom isn't being traded. No feelers will be sent out. There is a better chance McDavid falls 17 places in the draft for us to pick.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
If we don't sign Buff this offseason we will get best value for him at trade deadline. Those close to the cap and perceived to do well in playoffs will pay well to put them in best position and more will be able to acquire him for a small part of season and not overly concerned about resigning him.

Yes and no. You make fair points...BUT...it also puts more pressure on the Jets to make a deal to trade him or risk losing him to FA.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Yes and no. You make fair points...BUT...it also puts more pressure on the Jets to make a deal to trade him or risk losing him to FA.

Also makes it more difficult to add his salary. I think k you get best value this offseason

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

OK, I thought we were done. The bold is where you are wrong. I think Buffs value is very high. Very high but mitigated by the fact that he is only under contract for 1 more year. I added two pieces because I think NYI would require them to get it done and because I think doing it makes us better than not doing it. I haven't seen any better proposed trades that didn't ignore the contract situation completely. You simply don't believe the return justifies the price I am proposing so it isn't about Buff. It is about you not sharing my opinion of the value of the return.

You can't elevate your opinions to fact simply by making that statement. The only way it is a fact is if you have the trade proposal in writing, signed by both GMs.

You are right about the pot-shot. I gave Huffer credit for not much more than what you had provided and implied a shot at you. My mistake. I apologize for that.

If you are so sure that my package would bring more make up an example proposal that is fair to both teams. Citing this or that past trade is incredibly hard to use as an argument because there is so much context required for each one. It could go on forever.

Your whole argument has been heavy on opinion and light on facts. Saying that "his stat line is bad" is an opinion. That is a value judgement of those stats. The stats themselves are facts but you haven't stated any of them. Bailey's CF% the last 3 years has been 52.3, 52.5 and 50.3. Facts. You can argue that they are taken out of context and were influenced by other factors like teammates and zone starts and you would be correct. They are still pretty good though and his ZS and QoT changed over those 3 years. Drew Stafford's last 3 years were 41.1, 42.8 and 46.4. Again a little light on context but that worst year included his time on the Jets. If we look at his Jets time only it was similar. With the Jets he had good linemates and zone starts. I am not sufficiently good with the stats and with embedding charts here to be able to make my argument any better than that. I will concede that I may be mistaken. Go ahead and prove it if you can.

Bottom line is that I think you are undervaluing the 2 players I want to get and I think you are also not reducing Buff's value enough to compensate for his contract situation. That is my opinion. You clearly disagree. That is your opinion. You may be right but you haven't presented much to support that opinion. Your strongest argument has been that some Isles fans don't like Bailey at all.

I still don't think we are very far apart in our value of Buff. We appear to differ on his contract situation and the value of the proposed return.

We have each said our piece and continue to disagree. I have asked you to back up your argument with a different proposal or with some additional facts. Do that if you choose or we can end this respectfully now.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
OK, I thought we were done. The bold is where you are wrong. I think Buffs value is very high. Very high but mitigated by the fact that he is only under contract for 1 more year. I added two pieces because I think NYI would require them to get it done and because I think doing it makes us better than not doing it. I haven't seen any better proposed trades that didn't ignore the contract situation completely. You simply don't believe the return justifies the price I am proposing so it isn't about Buff. It is about you not sharing my opinion of the value of the return.

You can't elevate your opinions to fact simply by making that statement. The only way it is a fact is if you have the trade proposal in writing, signed by both GMs.

You are right about the pot-shot. I gave Huffer credit for not much more than what you had provided and implied a shot at you. My mistake. I apologize for that.

If you are so sure that my package would bring more make up an example proposal that is fair to both teams. Citing this or that past trade is incredibly hard to use as an argument because there is so much context required for each one. It could go on forever.

Your whole argument has been heavy on opinion and light on facts. Saying that "his stat line is bad" is an opinion. That is a value judgement of those stats. The stats themselves are facts but you haven't stated any of them. Bailey's CF% the last 3 years has been 52.3, 52.5 and 50.3. Facts. You can argue that they are taken out of context and were influenced by other factors like teammates and zone starts and you would be correct. They are still pretty good though and his ZS and QoT changed over those 3 years. Drew Stafford's last 3 years were 41.1, 42.8 and 46.4. Again a little light on context but that worst year included his time on the Jets. If we look at his Jets time only it was similar. With the Jets he had good linemates and zone starts. I am not sufficiently good with the stats and with embedding charts here to be able to make my argument any better than that. I will concede that I may be mistaken. Go ahead and prove it if you can.

Bottom line is that I think you are undervaluing the 2 players I want to get and I think you are also not reducing Buff's value enough to compensate for his contract situation. That is my opinion. You clearly disagree. That is your opinion. You may be right but you haven't presented much to support that opinion. Your strongest argument has been that some Isles fans don't like Bailey at all.

I still don't think we are very far apart in our value of Buff. We appear to differ on his contract situation and the value of the proposed return.

We have each said our piece and continue to disagree. I have asked you to back up your argument with a different proposal or with some additional facts. Do that if you choose or we can end this respectfully now.

Ok, here we go.

I find it interesting that you found a positive corsi for Josh Bailey considering that he started 64.6% of his shifts inside of the offensive zone, and only finished there 53.6%. That is a huge swing. Like most players don't finish in the Ozone more then the D zone...but thats ridiculous. For example, Mark Schiefele finishes more in the offensive zone then the D zone, and faces tougher competition. Bryan Little is closer, and he faces tougher competition and has worse line mates. Not hating on Wheels and Ladd...but they aren't JT.

He also adds VERY little to the power play. Scoring 0.53 G/60 and adding zero primary assists but adding 1.05 A2/60. It should be noted that he does not play with Tavares here.

He naturally starts 90.5% of his shifts on the PP in the offensive zone, obviously, but he only finishes 52.5% of them there. So...thats actually worse then 5vs5.

According to Behind the net, his Quality of competition rates at a Rel Corsi QoC of 1.154 and a Corsi of 0.696. Its not bad, but not the greatest. I did a quick look at other player that face tough comps, Kesler is at a .980. Little is at a .894. You get the idea. Obviously those are better players, but it was done to see what actual tough comp is.

I mean the good news is that his even strength scoring looks pretty decent. Scoring at 2.18p/60. But last season it was all the way down to 1.72 P/60 and his shooting percentage was lower as well. Also...no Tavares.

Judging by this...he is very dependent on Tavares. He's kind of like Chiarot in this regard...where he looks good playing as a passenger next to Buff, but without him, he's not as good. And we don't have a Tavares.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I was listening to 1290 the other day and Darren Dredger (i think i spelled his name wrong ) said the Jets were going all out to sign Buff and Ladd to long term deals !! Dredger said the Jets absolutely are not letting either of them leave the Jets ! Who knows where he got the info but i'll believe what Dredger says over say Lawless for example.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I was listening to 1290 the other day and Darren Dredger (i think i spelled his name wrong ) said the Jets were going all out to sign Buff and Ladd to long term deals !! Dredger said the Jets absolutely are not letting either of them leave the Jets ! Who knows where he got the info but i'll believe what Dredger says over say Lawless for example.

Thats good to hear!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ok, here we go.

I find it interesting that you found a positive corsi for Josh Bailey considering that he started 64.6% of his shifts inside of the offensive zone, and only finished there 53.6%. That is a huge swing. Like most players don't finish in the Ozone more then the D zone...but thats ridiculous. For example, Mark Schiefele finishes more in the offensive zone then the D zone, and faces tougher competition. Bryan Little is closer, and he faces tougher competition and has worse line mates. Not hating on Wheels and Ladd...but they aren't JT.

He also adds VERY little to the power play. Scoring 0.53 G/60 and adding zero primary assists but adding 1.05 A2/60. It should be noted that he does not play with Tavares here.

He naturally starts 90.5% of his shifts on the PP in the offensive zone, obviously, but he only finishes 52.5% of them there. So...thats actually worse then 5vs5.

According to Behind the net, his Quality of competition rates at a Rel Corsi QoC of 1.154 and a Corsi of 0.696. Its not bad, but not the greatest. I did a quick look at other player that face tough comps, Kesler is at a .980. Little is at a .894. You get the idea. Obviously those are better players, but it was done to see what actual tough comp is.

I mean the good news is that his even strength scoring looks pretty decent. Scoring at 2.18p/60. But last season it was all the way down to 1.72 P/60 and his shooting percentage was lower as well. Also...no Tavares.

Judging by this...he is very dependent on Tavares. He's kind of like Chiarot in this regard...where he looks good playing as a passenger next to Buff, but without him, he's not as good. And we don't have a Tavares.

Now those facts are facts! I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this any more. I'm not that good with the stats and I just don't have the time. I'm sure time with Tavares boosted his numbers. What I don't know is how much time did he play with Tavares? What about the year before last? He had a positive CF% then too and a negative relzs. I want to end this so I will concede that I have overrated Bailey. I withdraw Burmi from the proposal. Now I really am done.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

I wonder if they have the cap room to do this?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Also going hard for Stafford apparently. No problem this year. Might get very tight next year depending on just how high they all go.

I hope Stafford is not the only FA they sign. We need 1 more less expensive one, preferably Stempniak.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Now those facts are facts! I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this any more. I'm not that good with the stats and I just don't have the time. I'm sure time with Tavares boosted his numbers. What I don't know is how much time did he play with Tavares? What about the year before last? He had a positive CF% then too and a negative relzs. I want to end this so I will concede that I have overrated Bailey. I withdraw Burmi from the proposal. Now I really am done.

This year he played a lot. Tavares was his number one line mate. Last year they didn't play together at all, but it should be noted that his line mates have never been awful.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

16-17
Ladd(6.5)-Little(4.7)-Wheeler(5.6)
Perreault(3)-Scheifele(3)-Stafford(4)
Ehlers(1.6)-Lowry(2)-Burmistrov(2)
Stempniak(2.5)-Copp(1)-Petan(0.9)
Thorburn(1.2)
Enstrom(5.75)-Myers(5.5)
Byfuglien(7)-Trouba(5)
Chiarot(1)-Postma(0.9)
Stuart(2.6)-Morrissey(1.3)
Pavelec(3.9)-Hutchinson(1.5)
Total: 72.45. Cap might be 72-73.
I've been pretty generous to some players.
If true, we're no longer a budget team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
16-17
Ladd(6.5)-Little(4.7)-Wheeler(5.6)
Perreault(3)-Scheifele(3)-Stafford(4)
Ehlers(1.6)-Lowry(2)-Burmistrov(2)
Stempniak(2.5)-Copp(1)-Petan(0.9)
Thorburn(1.2)
Enstrom(5.75)-Myers(5.5)
Byfuglien(7)-Trouba(5)
Chiarot(1)-Postma(0.9)
Stuart(2.6)-Morrissey(1.3)
Pavelec(3.9)-Hutchinson(1.5)
Total: 72.45. Cap might be 72-73.
I've been pretty generous to some players.
If true, we're no longer a budget team.

I'm not sure of the math but just off the top of my head I think the cap should rise more next year than this year (assuming nothing else strange or really unexpected happens). This year was heavily affected by the falling Loonie. Even if it doesn't recover but only stabilizes at about .8 US$ there will be no further hit from it. The fall will have been absorbed and the revenue increase should resume. In fact it could get a boost if the Coyotes have gone somewhere where people are willing to pay to see them.

So if this years cap is ~72 then next years might be ~75-6. Enough breathing room but we would be getting close to being a cap team.

I think your numbers look pretty reasonable. If 1 is a little high another is likely a little low. Should be close. That roster does not look too bad either. Both the roster and the cap position could be expected to improve the year after that when Pav's contract expires. :crossfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland