Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Seems like Mantha is on the outs in Detroit so I am a bit leary of trading for other teams failed prospects. He is young still and maybe he just needs a change of orgs but I didn't like it when Detroit went public last season calling out Mantha, that feels like a last ditch effort at lighting a fire under a kid.

Weren't there character concerns with him before the draft?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I wonder how this would work:

To Jets: Mantha + 1st

To Det: Buff + StL 1st + 5th (or 4th 2016)

Thoughts?

So you are basically trading Buff straight up for Mantha ? Not nearly enough for Buff , i would do this trade if it was Enstrom , then move Buff or Trubs to the left .:handclap:

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Is there a possibility that the Jets and Blackhawks will be trading partners once more this off-season? Hawks will probably have to dump salary again, so how about the Jets giving them a $1.5 million or so cap cut by taking Versteeg for Postma?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wonder how this would work:

To Jets: Mantha + 1st

To Det: Buff + StL 1st + 5th (or 4th 2016)

Thoughts?

The rumour was that Mantha and their 1st are available. You have only moved up from 25 to 19 and you are throwing in a 5th (or 4th). Lets be a little more ambitious. What would we have to offer to get that 1st clean? What would Detroit add to get what you have offered? If we are only going to swap 1sts like that I would like a serviceable LHD.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not what I would be looking for.

I want a good NHL LHD who is ready for 1st/2nd line minutes (DeKeyser) or a nice looking player who is NHL ready now or as soon as next season (Ouellet).

Option A:

To Jets: 19th + DeKeyser (signed until 15/16/RFA)

To Wings: Buff + 25th

Having 17th and 19th would give us incredbile choice. We can draft whoever we want as our LHD "problem" now would be covered with adding DeKeyser to our LHD pool. I think Buff for DeKeyser is relativley fair but still has an advantage for Detroit. Moving up from 25h to 19th would be enough for what I want. I think people will think "Buff has more value" but I'm not even looking for the best net value, I'm looking for what would make our roster stronger and more well rounded. I would love to get Danny DeKeyser on our team.

Enström Trouba
DeKeyser Myers

What a beautiful top 4.

Option B:

To Jets: 19th + Ouellet + Mantha + 73th

To Wings: Buff + 47th + Burmistrov

I think the Red Wings are the best fit for Burmistrov league wide. If there is a team that would not have to worry about Burmistrov, it's the Detroit Red Wings and Pavel Datsyuk. He is his childhood hero and the reason why he wants to play in the NHL IMO.

Again, 17th and 19th pick give us so much choice. Hell, we'd have 17th, 19th AND 25th :amazed: We could easily move into the top 10! I like Mantha a lot actually, not soooo sure about Ouellet but I'd want a LHD prospect like him at least. The 73th sweetens the deal and makes it more fair for both sides. It's a risky trade for us but the option to have 17th, 19th and 25th + Ouellet AND Mantha is crazy IMO.

I like your option B better. I don't understand the love for Ouellet. He came up in the conversation a couple of days ago and I didn't get it then either. I would rather have Smith.

To Jets: 19th + Smith + Mantha

To Wings: Buff + Burmistrov + 47th

With your option A I think the value is not bad though I think we need a little more. I would love to add DeKeyser. I don't think Detroit does that though. They have plans for DeKeyser. If they would be willing to deal DeKeyser then I would want to get Mantha also but then we would have to add.

To Jets 19th + DeKeyser + Mantha

To Wings Buff + 25th + 47th

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So you are basically trading Buff straight up for Mantha ? Not nearly enough for Buff , i would do this trade if it was Enstrom , then move Buff or Trubs to the left .:handclap:

LOL so you wouldn't trade an defensively inept guy who will be a UFA seeking a fortune in one year for Mantha, but you would trade our best defenseman signed for 3 more years... who also happens to play the weak side, then move our weakest RD (defensively of the big 3) to the left?

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how good teams become bad teams.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Is there a possibility that the Jets and Blackhawks will be trading partners once more this off-season? Hawks will probably have to dump salary again, so how about the Jets giving them a $1.5 million or so cap cut by taking Versteeg for Postma?

I think we are going to have to see how Buff shakes down first. If they trade him (makes the most sense) I want to see Postma get a shot to be a regular. With 2 beasts on the right side, he is the perfect guy to sop up the remaining minutes. If he'd just use that body of his a bit more he could be a good PKer potentially.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seems like Mantha is on the outs in Detroit so I am a bit leary of trading for other teams failed prospects. He is young still and maybe he just needs a change of orgs but I didn't like it when Detroit went public last season calling out Mantha, that feels like a last ditch effort at lighting a fire under a kid.

Good point. It is one thing if you go in with your eyes open that you are getting a project and pay sccordingly. It is another if you pay top price expecting top return.

I was excited to get Armia and Lemieux from Buffalo at first. Later I began to fear they were prospects that had already disappointed Buffalo. Time will tell on that but I should be leery of doing that again.

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
Wasnt Armia there top scorer on their AHL team when we traded? And also Lemieux was only drafted last year. Hardly enough time for him to have disappointed.

But ill agree, jury is still out and time will tell on both.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Good point. It is one thing if you go in with your eyes open that you are getting a project and pay sccordingly. It is another if you pay top price expecting top return.

I was excited to get Armia and Lemieux from Buffalo at first. Later I began to fear they were prospects that had already disappointed Buffalo. Time will tell on that but I should be leery of doing that again.

Was it that Lemieux disappointed Buffalo? Thought I remember he refused to sign with them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not what I would be looking for.

I want a good NHL LHD who is ready for 1st/2nd line minutes (DeKeyser) or a nice looking player who is NHL ready now or as soon as next season (Ouellet).

Option A:

To Jets: 19th + DeKeyser (signed until 15/16/RFA)

To Wings: Buff + 25th

Having 17th and 19th would give us incredbile choice. We can draft whoever we want as our LHD "problem" now would be covered with adding DeKeyser to our LHD pool. I think Buff for DeKeyser is relativley fair but still has an advantage for Detroit. Moving up from 25h to 19th would be enough for what I want. I think people will think "Buff has more value" but I'm not even looking for the best net value, I'm looking for what would make our roster stronger and more well rounded. I would love to get Danny DeKeyser on our team.

Enström Trouba
DeKeyser Myers

What a beautiful top 4.

Option B:

To Jets: 19th + Ouellet + Mantha + 73th

To Wings: Buff + 47th + Burmistrov

I think the Red Wings are the best fit for Burmistrov league wide. If there is a team that would not have to worry about Burmistrov, it's the Detroit Red Wings and Pavel Datsyuk. He is his childhood hero and the reason why he wants to play in the NHL IMO.

Again, 17th and 19th pick give us so much choice. Hell, we'd have 17th, 19th AND 25th :amazed: We could easily move into the top 10! I like Mantha a lot actually, not soooo sure about Ouellet but I'd want a LHD prospect like him at least. The 73th sweetens the deal and makes it more fair for both sides. It's a risky trade for us but the option to have 17th, 19th and 25th + Ouellet AND Mantha is crazy IMO.

I like the basis of this idea. I would try for Buff and 47 for Dekyser and 19 myself.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I agree with this and given that its an org that has a reputation of being overly patient with their prospects in Detroit I am leery on picking him up.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wasnt Armia there top scorer on their AHL team when we traded? And also Lemieux was only drafted last year. Hardly enough time for him to have disappointed.

But ill agree, jury is still out and time will tell on both.

He had 25 pts in 33 games. I have no idea where that ranked on the team at the time. For an AHL rookie that would be pretty good. For a 2nd year AHL player it is not exactly bad but it is not particularly impressive either especially for a player drafted 16th OA. He may still turn out to be a valuable NHL player but he is going into D +5 now and hasn't shown a lot. He continues to progress but slowly.

Lemieux was already showing signs of some potential problems but I agree it would be premature to be giving up on him. If he can learn to play the same only smarter he too could still tourn out to be a valuable NHL player. Neither projects to be top 6 though and both still have a high bust potential, IMO.

My hope, if we get lucky is that they both become 3rd line wingers. If Lemieux can be a bigger, stronger Brenden Gallagher that would be a big win and if Armia can be a middling 3rd line winger I would be happy. I'm not counting on either of those outcomes though.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Friedman:

5. Hearing Detroit is looking for a defenceman who can take some of the physical responsibility from Niklas Kronwall. While the Red Wings like their prospects, they see too many similarities to what is already there. Wanted: someone with a bit of mean.
9. There definitely are attempts being made on an extension for Drew Stafford in Winnipeg. One source warned against using the word “optimistic.” But it sounds like both sides are trying.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
These Buff to Detroit proposals have real merit...would love to pick up their first and another piece...not sold on mantha...how about Darren Helm? He would certainly mitigate against losing free agent forwards..

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Detroit has so many good pieces.

Darren Helm
Danny DeKeyser
Tomas Tatar/Gustav Nyquist
Tomas Jurco/Teemu Pulkkinen
Anthony Mantha/Xavier Ouellet/#19
(Brendan Smith)

I want them all!
If we can somehow get one of DeKeyser/Nyquist/Tatar, awesome.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Sounds like Buff could be exactly what they're looking for. Hope Chevy is at least in discussions to see what they're offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad