Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
What do you think would be a realistic fit for a Buff trade?

Philly has been mentioned quite a bit, and I think that actually makes some sense. Although I think they would want him as a winger and would like to move salary with Luke Schenn. I would take Schenn plus a 2nd for Buff any day, although a lefty would be preferable.......and I dont even like LSchenn.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Wrote my opinions before, PHI is a bad fit.

LHD targets:
Carle TBL
Smith DET
Hamhuis VAN

in that order, that's how I see it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree that the Flyers make sense. I really like Raffl, but he's a UFA after next season. If he could be extended, I'd be happy to nab him. The problem for the Flyers is that they don't have much cap space and it would be tough to absorb Buff's salary without moving salary out. Would the Jets consider eating a bad contract to get some value? The Flyers would love to move LeCavalier or Umberger, and that might be necessary to facilitate a deal with the Jets. Add an extra pick or prospect from the Flyers if the Jets take one of those guys.

There are quite a few teams where cap issues would come into play. I wouldn't mind taking back a bad contract to get them some relief if it was only for 1 year. Lecavalier has 3 more to go, Umberger 2. Maybe could live with Umberger's 2 if they sweetened the deal as you say.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Likely ? No , because we just traded for him . Otherwise no reason for it to be unrealistic. Still a possibility , he was being shopped by Buffalo for a while , several teams not only were interested but made offers . It's not inconcievable that something happens , albeit not as likely as other scenarios.

Having just traded for him doesn't necessarily make it that unlikely either. It is still as you said earlier, all about the return. I think his favourable contract makes it extra attractive to keep him but that would also increase his trade value.

If Horton could be traded, really anybody can be. Or maybe I should reverse that and say that if Clarkson can be traded with that contract then anybody can be. They traded a high paid guy who is never going to play again fcs!

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I like the idea Buff for Flyers Sanheim And their first round pick.

How is that supposed to work?

a) cap
b) Sanheim is their Morrissey
c) they're rebuilding

Petan + WPG 1st + STL 1st for Lucic? No? Thought so.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wasn't a bad trade, wasn't a homerun either. A short-term bump for 2 seasons.

He cost a 3rd and a 5th. How many games does the avg 3rd play? 5th?
I don't have time to dig out that info so I just looked at the '09 draft for a rough idea. The avg 3rd from that year has played ~41.5 games so far and the avg 5th ~28. Total = 69.5. We have had 163 games from Frolik, 2.35 times that total. If he leaves we have still had good value for those 2 picks.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
ROR for Buff makes sense for both teams. Division rival trade unlikely?

I'm assuming that Buff is reasonably signable. Any team paying substantially for him would expect to keep him. I don't think we have any reasonable expectations of keeping ROR.

I might consider that if every other possibility had fallen through.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He cost a 3rd and a 5th. How many games does the avg 3rd play? 5th?
I don't have time to dig out that info so I just looked at the '09 draft for a rough idea. The avg 3rd from that year has played ~41.5 games so far and the avg 5th ~28. Total = 69.5. We have had 163 games from Frolik, 2.35 times that total. If he leaves we have still had good value for those 2 picks.

Not only that Frolik was protected by RFA status when his contract expired. It was Chevy who blinked first in contract negotiations with Walsh last summer. IMO it was a great trade followed by rather middling contract negotiations.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not only that Frolik was protected by RFA status when his contract expired. It was Chevy who blinked first in contract negotiations with Walsh last summer. IMO it was a great trade followed by rather middling contract negotiations.

I wasn't even thinking of that but, yeah you expect to be able to sign long term out of that deal. We'll never know if Chevy blew the negotiation or if Walsh made it impossible from the start. I suspect a little of each but Chevy could still come out smelling like a rose if Walsh has overplayed his hand.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

So you think he should have gone to arbitration instead? We'd be in the same place. His arb would have been for 1 year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So you think he should have gone to arbitration instead? We'd be in the same place. His arb would have been for 1 year.

Yes, or at least negotiate until the last second with pressure on both sides, but instead he (Chevy) bailed with a couple days still to go. I'm a huge Chevy supporter, but he got bested on that one. Walsh got his client right where he wanted him, and he didn't even really have to work for it.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Kevin Kurz has speculated Couture or Burns could be on the block to shake things up because all other players can't be moved. And I know Doug Wilson has mentioned Buff's name publicly in past.

How about Burns for Buff straight up? Change of scenery for both players who get compared to each other often. Burns can play forward in Winnipeg where he belongs. San Jose gets the big right handed shot from blue line they don't have.

Or, Buff + 1st round pick for Couture? Fair value?

I dunno. Just spitballing!

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Kevin Kurz has speculated Couture or Burns could be on the block to shake things up because all other players can't be moved. And I know Doug Wilson has mentioned Buff's name publicly in past.

How about Burns for Buff straight up? Change of scenery for both players who get compared to each other often. Burns can play forward in Winnipeg where he belongs. San Jose gets the big right handed shot from blue line they don't have.

Or, Buff + 1st round pick for Couture? Fair value?

I dunno. Just spitballing!

Burns? No thx.

Logan? Not sure our biggest need is another non superstar centre, we have several good centres (but not superstars) already. Love to have him, not sure if he's worth paying big for when we already have Little, Bambi and Lowry. Unless it one of the 4 could be moved to the wing (similar as we did with MP).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Burns? No thx.

Logan? Not sure our biggest need is another non superstar centre, we have several good centres (but not superstars) already. Love to have him, not sure if he's worth paying big for when we already have Little, Bambi and Lowry. Unless it one of the 4 could be moved to the wing (similar as we did with MP).

I think Couture has played a lot on the wing so he could be a fit!

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Yes, or at least negotiate until the last second with pressure on both sides, but instead he (Chevy) bailed with a couple days still to go. I'm a huge Chevy supporter, but he got bested on that one. Walsh got his client right where he wanted him, and he didn't even really have to work for it.
We have been through this already last year and I could not disagree more. Arbitration would have done nothing but compromise the only card Chevy has in his hand--the one representing integrity, mutual respect, and high-class management. He still holds that card and if it does not work now, then we never had any chance with Frolik. What we do know is that arbitration is a very unpleasant process and would have compromised that advantage for a one year deal.
Chevy has his budget. Frolik has his price. Either Frolik decides to give Winnipeg a slight discount because he likes it here, or he goes to the highest bidder. That is his decision entirely, always was. This was never a game of chicken.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think Couture has played a lot on the wing so he could be a fit!

I would trade Buff and a 2015 1st for Logan in one second......But the Sharks would laugh their ass off at us and hang up.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

OK that two that Walsh has totally out-negatiated Chevy on. You think we have a chance of getting Fro or Tlusty at a good rate -- neither do I.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It takes two to sign a deal! Walsh ultimately does what his client wants, if Frolik had told Walsh to get a long term deal done, it would have happened. It is Frolik's right to get to UFA and see what's out, just as its Chevy's right to place a value on Frolik and not budge from it. The parties have had all year to work out a long term deal, it seems more likely that there isn't a fit on either end.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I would trade Buff and a 2015 1st for Logan in one second......But the Sharks would laugh their ass off at us and hang up.

What would you say is fair for Couture if Buff was included in the trade? That's why I brought it up, to gauge value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad