Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've asked it before and I'll ask it again. Why would Edmonton be interested in Buff? He has 1 year left on his contract and there is every reason to believe he will test the UFA market if he gets moved now. The best time to trade Buff would be before the draft, so the Oilers would have no guarantee regarding the future. Holding on to Buff would cost them a fortune, and he is a terrible fit age wise with the rest of the Oilers roster. Buff will be long time gone before the team is ready to contend, and in the mean time he would just eat up salary. IMO the Oilers would be far more interested one of our other 2 RHD. They can't have them but that is who they would want.

I don't know why Buff to Oilers keeps coming up. They are among the least likely trade partners for Buff. We want him to go East. He is most likely to go to a 'win now' team. He doesn't match their needs. And then finally there is his NTC. Any one of those things is enough to prevent it. Just not going to happen.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Agreed, if Chevy traded Myers he would screw up the only good trade he's ever done. No sense.

Trade Buff

Completely depends on what he could get for Myers. Myers isn't an untouchable, he has some flaws in his game too. He gets dummied by any line that can cycle the puck effectively.

Myers would require a huge return given where he's at in his career and his favourable contract.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Completely depends on what he could get for Myers. Myers isn't an untouchable, he has some flaws in his game too. He gets dummied by any line that can cycle the puck effectively.

Myers would require a huge return given where he's at in his career and his favourable contract.

No player is untouchable, but any Myers trade would be highly unlikely. The return would have to be pretty big and GM's don't give away huge assets for nothing.

Buff is much more likely and logical to trade than Myers or Trouba.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What do you think would be a realistic fit for a Buff trade?

I think Philly is maybe #1, he would bring some toughness to a team that has grown soft. I would want a good return though, maybe Morin, Matt Read, and Laughton.

Florida, just because of Tallon and because he would like playing in Miami.

Montreal, due to Dudley, Bergevin, and for the same reason as Philly.

I am also not writing Buff off. He is well liked by players and coaches in the organization. He has a unique skill set, and is the poster boy for our physical style.

Nashville had a pretty good season with mostly RHD, nobody there is clamouring to trade a defenseman.

My preference however would be to see him start 2015 as a 2nd line winger, with Scheif and Perrault. That was a great line when they were together, got us on a winning streak. Garret can you back me up statistically? By keeping him, we have depth, should Myers or Trouba get injured. And we can re-sign Stafford, I hope, at about 4 yrs- $16 million, boost our 3rd line (Petan-Lowry-Stafford?). Maybe we move Burmistrov and Pavelec for pieces we need, with Helley and Hutch tending the net, and make a legitimate run.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
No player is untouchable, but any Myers trade would be highly unlikely. The return would have to be pretty big and GM's don't give away huge assets for nothing.

Buff is much more likely and logical to trade than Myers or Trouba.

What if Edmonton offered Taylor Hall for Myers as the main pieces of a deal?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Ottawa, Detroit, Washington, Isles, Pittsburgh, Philly, Florida, Columbus, Carolina. Some of those might have cap trouble. There are a few other Eastern teams that might be possible but also would have cap trouble.

I really think we should move Buff but it wont be easy.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

For Buff, I think your still looking for a high pick, young player and top prospect.

With that in mind, Philly seems like a really good fit. They have multiple 1sts and 2nds this draft, several LH d prospects (Morin, Haag, Sanheim) we could choose from, and current NHL players (Read, Raffl) to add forward depth right now.

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
Ottawa, Detroit, Washington, Isles, Pittsburgh, Philly, Florida, Columbus, Carolina. Some of those might have cap trouble. There are a few other Eastern teams that might be possible but also would have cap trouble.

I really think we should move Buff but it wont be easy.

I agree. I think if we could get a solid LHD to pair up with Myers we would be sitting pretty good for a while. Trouba I'm not nearly as concerned about, he would make a pylon look good. They will eventually find his ideal pairing, Morrissey most likely. As high as Myers ceiling is he really needs to be insulated to thrive IMO. I wonder who Chevy would target if that's the route they take

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
For Buff, I think your still looking for a high pick, young player and top prospect.

With that in mind, Philly seems like a really good fit. They have multiple 1sts and 2nds this draft, several LH d prospects (Morin, Haag, Sanheim) we could choose from, and current NHL players (Read, Raffl) to add forward depth right now.

How would that work with Buff only having 1 year of term left? I guess there'd have to be assurances he'd stay. I'm still new to this side of hockey but am learning quickly. Totally geeked out this season following the jets and HF lol

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I agree that the Flyers make sense. I really like Raffl, but he's a UFA after next season. If he could be extended, I'd be happy to nab him. The problem for the Flyers is that they don't have much cap space and it would be tough to absorb Buff's salary without moving salary out. Would the Jets consider eating a bad contract to get some value? The Flyers would love to move LeCavalier or Umberger, and that might be necessary to facilitate a deal with the Jets. Add an extra pick or prospect from the Flyers if the Jets take one of those guys.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
What if Edmonton offered Taylor Hall for Myers as the main pieces of a deal?

Love to get Hall, but how would we will fill Myers spot? Please not with Buff. I say aim a little lower than Hall by trading Buff. Defence wins games, keep Myers.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

Bad fit. They have cap problems a d bad contracts - MacDonald or Lecavalier is coming back. They're rebuilding - don't want to trade Morin or Sanheim.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Who do you guys think would make an ideal pairing for Myers given his pros/cons?

Someone who is a little more physical, stay at home, who can handle the puck like it isn't a live grenade. A better version of Pardy.

Enstrom and Myers are good together, with the right matchup.

jetkarma*

Agreed, if Chevy traded Myers he would screw up the only good trade he's ever done. No sense.

No matter the return , he would screw that up? Interesting perspective.

Frolik was a bad trade I take it?

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003

No, but if Fro leaves for nothing in a couple months... it's a net loss.
Could have added Bjorkstrand to our prospect pool with the pick Chevy traded.

Last edited:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Player for player trade. Fellow GM's don't overpay. Myers is a good fit, why screw it up.

What realistic trade could you see us wanting and getting that makes the team better that includes Myers being traded?

List them please.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I agree that the Flyers make sense. I really like Raffl, but he's a UFA after next season. If he could be extended, I'd be happy to nab him. The problem for the Flyers is that they don't have much cap space and it would be tough to absorb Buff's salary without moving salary out. Would the Jets consider eating a bad contract to get some value? The Flyers would love to move LeCavalier or Umberger, and that might be necessary to facilitate a deal with the Jets. Add an extra pick or prospect from the Flyers if the Jets take one of those guys.

I think the Flyers would make a good partner, but, I would not want to take Lecalvallier's contract.

jetkarma*

No, but if Fro leaves for nothing in a couple months... it's a net loss.
Could have added Bjorkstrand to our prospect pool with the pick Chevy traded.

It wasn't a bad trade . Period.

jetkarma*

Player for player trade. Fellow GM's don't overpay. Myers is a good fit, why screw it up.

What realistic trade could you see us wanting and getting that makes the team better that includes Myers being traded?

List them please.

Not saying to trade him or not , but this whole can't , be a mistake , only , is off base imo . It's always about what you give up and what you get and how that impacts and affects your team .

GM's indeed do overpay , we see that often when reviewing trades don't we?

Sometimes equal value for a better fit or need makes it a plus trade. Lots of factors . The comment doesn't fit imo .

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Not saying to trade him or not , but this whole can't , be a mistake , only , is off base imo . It's always about what you give up and what you get and how that impacts and affects your team .

GM's indeed do overpay , we see that often when reviewing trades don't we?

Sometimes equal value for a better fit or need makes it a plus trade. Lots of factors . The comment doesn't fit imo .

Your talking theoretical terms, ok. But realistically I can't see any trade benefitting us by trading Myers away.

Is it possible? Sure

Likely or realistic? No

jetkarma*

Your talking theoretical terms, ok. But realistically I can't see any trade benefitting us by trading Myers away.

Is it possible? Sure

Likely or realistic? No

Likely ? No , because we just traded for him . Otherwise no reason for it to be unrealistic. Still a possibility , he was being shopped by Buffalo for a while , several teams not only were interested but made offers . It's not inconcievable that something happens , albeit not as likely as other scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad