Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Anthony Peluso

for

Carey Price

Habs get size and cap relief. Jets get a starter. Win/win.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
After seeing the Boychuk contract, trade Buff this summer. Buff will get 7 years and even more money than Boychuk. That's too much IMO, trade him while his value is sky high this summer.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
After seeing the Boychuk contract, trade Buff this summer. Buff will get 7 years and even more money than Boychuk. That's too much IMO, trade him while his value is sky high this summer.

Yeah the Boychuk contract was concerning. At minimum Buff can demand a couple million per year more based on past performance.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If WInnipeg was a big market and the Jets spent to the cap and buff was 25 and not almost 30, i'd say sign him, but... Winnipeg isn't, The Jets don't and he's going to be 30 soon.

Trade Buff this summer while his value is high. I think we'd get a good haul for him, probably some pieces that will help us more than Buff does. Let's be honest, with buff, with ladd, we are a bubble team at best. IMO, it's time to move on and shift the leadership to the younger guys. It's just time. 3 or 4 seasons now of not being good enough, you gotta move some guys out and change the culture a bit. Change the leadership up. I like Buff but... signing him to a long term big money contract with a team who doesn't spend to the CAP and never will is suicide.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah the Boychuk contract was concerning. At minimum Buff can demand a couple million per year more based on past performance.

I don't really know Boychuk. How good is he really? Is he a top pair D or is he more of a middle pairing guy? I looked up his stats but I don't get a clear picture. Who is a good comparable?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
If WInnipeg was a big market and the Jets spent to the cap and buff was 25 and not almost 30, i'd say sign him, but... Winnipeg isn't, The Jets don't and he's going to be 30 soon.

Trade Buff this summer while his value is high. I think we'd get a good haul for him, probably some pieces that will help us more than Buff does. Let's be honest, with buff, with ladd, we are a bubble team at best. IMO, it's time to move on and shift the leadership to the younger guys. It's just time. 3 or 4 seasons now of not being good enough, you gotta move some guys out and change the culture a bit. Change the leadership up. I like Buff but... signing him to a long term big money contract with a team who doesn't spend to the CAP and never will is suicide.

I agree with everything except for the bolded. How do you know? We've spent to the cap in the past. Last season, to be exact.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Actually we had a bonus overage and went over the cap, and it reduced our upper limit this year.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't see how we will be much better next year. Even if we signed some of our rentals. I think this is what we get with this core . I don't think we can count on shief to explode to a dominant 2nd line Center next year

If we put another rookie or two in there will be the same growing pains we had the last couple years with shief. I think this was the year we peaked with this core, if you could call it that. We have been in the exact same position after 65 + games last four years.

We have a great future but our prospects won't be huge factors for 3 years at least in my opinion

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't see how we will be much better next year. Even if we signed some of our rentals. I think this is what we get with this core . I don't think we can count on shief to explode to a dominant 2nd line Center next year

If we put another rookie or two in there will be the same growing pains we had the last couple years with shief. I think this was the year we peaked with this core, if you could call it that. We have been in the exact same position after 65 + games last four years.

We have a great future but our prospects won't be huge factors for 3 years at least in my opinion

2 words. Better goaltending.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

A little excess of negativity I think. We were not just 1 point out of a PO berth the last 3 years. Injuries have hit us unusually badly this year. Our goaltending has let us down again and we have slumped lately but we have 14 games left and are only 1 point out. Recent results are a little discouraging but it is way too soon to quit.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
A little excess of negativity I think. We were not just 1 point out of a PO berth the last 3 years. Injuries have hit us unusually badly this year. Our goaltending has let us down again and we have slumped lately but we have 14 games left and are only 1 point out. Recent results are a little discouraging but it is way too soon to quit.

Vancouver lost their top 4 D and starting goalie for the past month I believe. The crisper might be re stocked but they are all seedlings including shief an Troubs. We will need a lot of them to become vegetables before we have the depth needed to withstand injuries that all playoff teams do

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

What is a dominant 2nd line C? thanks

Scheifele in his 2nd year, is already in the top half of 2nd line center in the LEAGUE.
He plays 200ft game. If he has an Achilles , it is his face offs. He said he is working on it everyday in one of his interviews. Also, was it Tavares, mentioning that a lot of cheating is going on during face offs now. Most likely the vets does that.
I can only sight one dominant 2nd line center, Evegeny Malkin and that is only because he plays behind Crosby.
Though your right this year and hope next year is the peak year of our core.
After that, they will support the Schiefele, Trouba, Lowry, Myers, Perrault along with Ehlers, Morrissey, Petan and Hellybuck.

:naughty:

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg

I can only sight one dominant 2nd line center, Evegeny Malkin and that is only because he plays behind Crosby.

Bergeron, Carter, Johnson, Zetterberg (when he's playing there), Dubinsky, Kesler, Couture, etc.

Only 1?!?!?! I mean, maybe not Kes or Dubi, but you get the point. Those guys are all great 2C's.

Anyways, you're kidding yourself if you think Scheif is a good 2C (right now). He's just not there yet. He absolutely can be with time, but he's not yet.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bergeron, Carter, Johnson, Zetterberg (when he's playing there), Dubinsky, Kesler, Couture, etc.

Only 1?!?!?! I mean, maybe not Kes or Dubi, but you get the point. Those guys are all great 2C's.

Anyways, you're kidding yourself if you think Scheif is a good 2C (right now). He's just not there yet. He absolutely can be with time, but he's not yet.

I think you have not been paying attention lately. Scheif has been very good. Not good for a 2nd year player. Not good for a 21 year old. Just very good.

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
I think you have not been paying attention lately. Scheif has been very good. Not good for a 2nd year player. Not good for a 21 year old. Just very good.

Trust me, i've been paying attention. There's a reason he's my avvy and namesake. You're exaggerating how good he's been. He's got a lot of parts to his game that need work. I think he'll get there, but really he's not yet. I know he's capable of more. He's playing well for a second year player and a 21 year old. He's not a good 2C yet though.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Trust me, i've been paying attention. There's a reason he's my avvy and namesake. You're exaggerating how good he's been. He's got a lot of parts to his game that need work. I think he'll get there, but really he's not yet. I know he's capable of more. He's playing well for a second year player and a 21 year old. He's not a good 2C yet though.

IMO in his last year of junior he was dominant. Especially down low with the puck. It will take untill he's fully matured as a man and a player to be able to use his strengths to his advantage fully. He won't peak untill he is 24 at the earliest. I always thought he would be a great 2nd line Center. But we are counting on him to excell next year a lot more then I think he will.

The rest of the team (- trouba ) is what were going to get. And the rookies that come in will be a small step backward IMO. I'm barring any great free agent signings or trades of coarse

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

Scheifele in his 2nd year, is already in the top half of 2nd line center in the LEAGUE.
He plays 200ft game. If he has an Achilles , it is his face offs. He said he is working on it everyday in one of his interviews. Also, was it Tavares, mentioning that a lot of cheating is going on during face offs now. Most likely the vets does that.
Though your right this year and hope next year is the peak year of our core.
After that, they will support the Schiefele, Trouba, Lowry, Myers, Perrault along with Ehlers, Morrissey, Petan and Hellybuck.

:naughty:

I agree with you the future is bright. But all the prospects you mentioned will not be in their primes soon enough for our current core to be supporting them IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I disagree. He's been better than good in the last 4-5 games, at least to my eyes. He came into tonight's game with an 8 game points streak so it is more than just my eyeballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad