Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If we're moving Buff it's partly because of money, and partly because we already have Myers and Trouba on the right. Franson is going to get more money than he deserves due to the inflated UFA market so that kind of negates a lot of the money reason to move Buff. And he also plays on the right, so we're in the same position of having a extremely expensive right side (when Trouba gets his raise).

I don't see a fit from a roster perspective, nor a cap management perspective myself.

I think that the only way we re-sign Buff is to play on LD in the top-4. Buff won't sign unless he has assurances that the Jets will play him on D, and the Jets won't pay his price unless they can play him in the top-4. Maurice is on record as saying that he envisions one of his RD moving to the left side in the future. Buff seems like the best candidate, though Myers might be able to do it, too. I wouldn't want to switch Trouba over at this point in his career.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I disagree on a couple of levels:

1) I don't think teams get into cap trouble by overpaying complementary players so much as they get into trouble by giving money and term to aging players that are overvalued, usually for possessing overrated traits (eg. shot blocking, stay at home ability, "truculence") or for recent production that is largely unsustainable.

2) I have little or no expectation that Burmi will return to Winnipeg. If in fact he does return, I have even less expectation that he'll be an adequate replacement for Frolik. He can certainly do some of the things that Frolik does well, but I don't see him as a viable plan B.

It's not to say that overpaying someone like Frolik won't cause cap trouble down the road, but it's mitigated by the fact that you'll get at least half of the span of his contract during prime years. Also by the fact that his defensive abilities are extremely valuable, and getting a player of similar ability will inevitably require an overpayment.

In the end, it probably comes down to my personal view that a forward like Frolik will be absolutely integral if this team is looking to contend 2 or 3 years down the road. Don't expect everyone to agree with that. :)

Agree that Frolic is the most essential UFA to bring back -- can't overpay him at anywhere under 5/yr IMO.

But I'd be real reluctant to give up on Burmi & not give him a decent shot particularly because I think he'll come pretty cheap, is phenomenal insurance (when guys inevitably go down with iunjuries), and is supremely underrated for his defensive and offensive production (less so the latter but I think he has good potential).

For instance, if you had to pay Burmi 2.5/yr and Staff >3.75/yr -- is there any question who you'd rather have going forward for the next 2-4 years?

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Won't need Frolik? Just have prospects better and replace him? :laugh: I think you're either underestimating how good Frolik is, or overestimating prospects.

Because of above average drafting, we'll be able to lesson the loss of Frolik, but none of our prospects will fill the void potentially left by Frolik. Burmi is the only one with the combination of defense and offense similar to Frolik.

I think another thing that could help lesson his loss is continued growth of Scheif and Lowry.

But hey, I could be wrong and you could be right sully. :laugh: And if that happens, the Jets are GOLDEN. :cheers:

I don't think we will. I just see the way that this team has been built and the path it has walked up until now. Two more years will be more then enough time for one of Ehlers or Petan or whoever the **** to step and play Fro's role. That is just the way I see it.

Maybe i'm cheap...but I don't see Frolik as a long term 4.5mil player...in fact there is really no universe in which I would be ok with him signing a long term deal for that much, unless there is an alternate universe in which I have been kicked in the head by a horse and have been rendered mentally incapable. I don't think he's worth much more then 3.5...but we all know he's probably going to get much more then that on the open market and then before you know it we have a Nathan Horton/David Clarkson situation on our hands with a guy that is hella over paid for what he brings to the table and we are stuck with him.

Give him more money, on a short term deal until our prospects can step in and replace him. Best possible solution.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
i think an overpayment (salary &/or term) on Stafford is a bigger fear to me than what we do with Frolik frankly. if for 'space' reasons, we had to pick only two of stafford, frolik, burmistrov, it's not even close, and i drop stafford. I think the 'hey look how well he did at the end of the season with a non terrible team, he must be worth a lot' mentality is going to cause a problem for whatever team signs him.

Now if his value doesn't get inflated, maybe I change my mind, but I have a feeling he'll be looking to be paid way more than he should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad