Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like Chiarot but i think honestly at best he's a good 6th d man. I know he's looked good playing with Buff but you take him away from Buff and not so much.. I think there are 100's of guys like Chiarot out there playing right now, not hundreds but lots of them, He's ok but he's nothing special in my opinion. Good Depth really, not a legit top 4 tho.

I don't think he is a legit top 4 either but he is still improving and he is already better than Stu. He may or may not ever rise to top 4 level. I see him playing on the 2nd pair when Morrissey starts out. As soon as Morrissey is ready he will push Chiarot down to the 3rd pair. I think Chiarot is an above average 3rd pair D.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guess O'Dell is technically not a rookie, but he's as about as close as you can come without being one, with 35 NHL games, all in this season and last.

Remember Mo recently saying he wouldn't play a rookie (or maybe he said young player) on the fourth line, and that the right place to start them off is on the third? Well he would seem to have his own philosophy bass ackward with O'Dell and Slater. Really hard to believe the things that come out of Mo's mouth sometimes, or to credit any common sense to them.

I agree but ..... Did anybody notice the look on Pauls face the other day after O'Dell's fight? I think he liked it. O'Dell may have just resurrected his career. I'm pretty sure he gained some points with Mau at any rate.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
The frustrating thing about Scheif, is that one of his best attributes is his shot, but he never seems to be able to get it off in time. I think once he figures that out, he could hit some nice goal totals.

I am quite pleased with his development thus far though.

Schief will be a 1C & a dang good one in the not too distant future. Has all the attributes & appears very close to putting them all together.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Personally I'd like to see Buff and Stu moved in the summer.
Stu is just about our worst PKer, Clitsome is right at the top. Moving them both saves a lot of coin. It would also allow us to sign Postma for more than one year. If Myers/Trouba/Buff are still on the roster I doubt Postma would sign for more than one year, he would just go down the arbitration route and be a UFA in 2016.

Add a buy out or trade (50% retained ) on Pavs & Chevy's had an A grade offseason.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Did anybody notice the look on Pauls face the other day after O'Dell's fight? I think he liked it.

Was it like this (but less blonde, less Crystaly, and more five-o'clock-shadowy)?

2012-12-11-orgasm-375x250.png

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I agree but ..... Did anybody notice the look on Pauls face the other day after O'Dell's fight? I think he liked it. O'Dell may have just resurrected his career. I'm pretty sure he gained some points with Mau at any rate.

I think Maurice was talking about legit rookies tho, Odell has played in the AHL for a few years now actually.. since 2009/2010 where he played 3 games for Chicago Wolves, in total since then he has played in 180 games in the AHL.

Not exactly a rookie, I think what Maurice means is a legit rookie, however Lowry did play a full season or so in St Jonns too so yeah a bit confusing there.

Just wanted to also say, I feel the same way about STU as the majority of people on here but.. the one thing that can't really be over looked is the heart he is, the warrior mentality and i think he's a good mentor to the young kids, There are intangibles with STU that i think every team loves to have. I think he's probably a good 6th d man also but playing in the top 4, like he has been is asking a little much, you put him on the bottom pair with a chiarot or someone and maybe, you have a good pair there. I like what STU brings, just seems like he's a good mentor to the youngsters, yeah not the most talented guy but all heart and soul out there, leaves it all on the ice.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I think Maurice was talking about legit rookies tho, Odell has played in the AHL for a few years now actually.. since 2009/2010 where he played 3 games for Chicago Wolves, in total since then he has played in 180 games in the AHL.

Not exactly a rookie, I think what Maurice means is a legit rookie, however Lowry did play a full season or so in St Jonns too so yeah a bit confusing there.

Just wanted to also say, I feel the same way about STU as the majority of people on here but.. the one thing that can't really be over looked is the heart he is, the warrior mentality and i think he's a good mentor to the young kids, There are intangibles with STU that i think every team loves to have. I think he's probably a good 6th d man also but playing in the top 4, like he has been is asking a little much, you put him on the bottom pair with a chiarot or someone and maybe, you have a good pair there. I like what STU brings, just seems like he's a good mentor to the youngsters, yeah not the most talented guy but all heart and soul out there, leaves it all on the ice.

For me, an ideal situation would be Stuart on the bottom pairing, with some PK time for extra grittiness and heart, but in case of injury he's getting leapfrogged by a Chiarot or equivalent. Given how much Byfuglien and Trouba have demonstrated an ability to carry their partners, this should be doable.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
That's interesting for the jets. Our 1st is buffalo's choice. If we get the other one that automatically means it's the better one. If another team gets it, I think it depends on which conference that team is from
No doubt that other gm will want the better pick.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Personally I'd like to see Buff and Stu moved in the summer.

Stu is just about our worst PKer, Clitsome is right at the top. Moving them both saves a lot of coin. It would also allow us to sign Postma for more than one year. If Myers/Trouba/Buff are still on the roster I doubt Postma would sign for more than one year, he would just go down the arbitration route and be a UFA in 2016.

So the fulcrum for your off-season planning is Postma? I don't get it.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
That's interesting for the jets. Our 1st is buffalo's choice. If we get the other one that automatically means it's the better one. If another team gets it, I think it depends on which conference that team is from
No doubt that other gm will want the better pick.

They have 2 first rounders beyond the one they traded us.

Doubt they trade their natural pick unless the lottery is very bad to them.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
They have 2 first rounders beyond the one they traded us.

Doubt they trade their natural pick unless the lottery is very bad to them.

The lottery based on the current standings is either gonna give them pick 1 or 2 so either way it's not gonna be bad for them in the slightest. No way in heck are they trading that pick.

jetkarma*

The lottery based on the current standings is either gonna give them pick 1 or 2 so either way it's not gonna be bad for them in the slightest. No way in heck are they trading that pick.

Or three.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Or three.

I thought the team that finishes 30th has a 20% chance to get number 1 but if they didn't get it they would still get number 2.

I was under the impression that it is not until 2016 that the lottery will determine the first three selections but it is still only determining the first pick this year.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
I thought the team that finishes 30th has a 20% chance to get number 1 but if they didn't get it they would still get number 2.

I was under the impression that it is not until 2016 that the lottery will determine the first three selections but it is still only determining the first pick this year.

You are correct.

jetkarma*

Yes but if they finish 2nd last .

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They can put a RHD on the left side but he won't play as well as he does on the right. They can have 3 top end RHDs. They've already shown that they can balance the minutes just fine. That isn't the issue. The issue is the next contract that Buff will get.

I disagree with that.

23 minutes a night is not enough for upper echelon defensemen, which is what IMO Myers is and Trouba will be soon.

Aside from that, there certainly isn't room to add a large contract to that position when it's already very well covered with Trouba, Myers, and Postma. The assets we could get from Byfuglien will distribute the wealth on the team much better, skill and dollar wise.

jetkarma*

Yes but if they finish 2nd last .

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I disagree with that.

23 minutes a night is not enough for upper echelon defensemen, which is what IMO Myers is and Trouba will be soon.

Aside from that, there certainly isn't room to add a large contract to that position when it's already very well covered with Trouba, Myers, and Postma. The assets we could get from Byfuglien will distribute the wealth on the team much better, skill and dollar wise.

Did you not read the last 2 sentences of my post? Or are we going to argue about a minute or 2?

Honestly, what could be wrong witg having the strongest, deepest D in the league such that a couple of 25 min D only get 23 because there is too much competition for ice time? That is other than the cost?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Trouba played nearly 30 minutes against the Blues and Tampa, ...you don't slow that progress down, Trouba can be on the Doughty level soon, you let him go and play play play...Myers can play a ton of minutes as well...Buff can be dealt and fill other holes in a big way, leading to a way more balanced, better team....lose the nostalgia, its a big boy's game, everyone will get over his loss quick...

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Trouba played nearly 30 minutes against the Blues and Tampa, ...you don't slow that progress down, Trouba can be on the Doughty level soon, you let him go and play play play...Myers can play a ton of minutes as well...Buff can be dealt and fill other holes in a big way, leading to a way more balanced, better team....lose the nostalgia, its a big boy's game, everyone will get over his loss quick...

Trouba played only 22:45 against Tampa although he did spend the last 12:18 in the penalty box. He was certainly trending towards 28-30 minutes though

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Trouba played only 22:45 against Tampa although he did spend the last 12:18 in the penalty box. He was certainly trending towards 28-30 minutes though

It's also worth keeping in mind that Trouba is 21. And in the last 7 seasons, there are four players who has averaged over 27 minutes of ice time per game.

Doughty doesn't normally play anywhere near what he has had to play this season. No one does. Except for Suter, but he's weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad