Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Trust me, i've been paying attention. There's a reason he's my avvy and namesake. You're exaggerating how good he's been. He's got a lot of parts to his game that need work. I think he'll get there, but really he's not yet. I know he's capable of more. He's playing well for a second year player and a 21 year old. He's not a good 2C yet though.

His production would indicate that he's right in line with 2C's throughout the league.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Once Scheif finds consistency he's going to be a force. We already see glimpses of it.

Last few games he's been everywhere. He's been solid possession-wise all year as well. He's started making nice moves into the zone and drives to the net but it seems like he runs out of space before he can get a shot. Once he figures out the timing he'll be dynamite.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Trust me, i've been paying attention. There's a reason he's my avvy and namesake. You're exaggerating how good he's been. He's got a lot of parts to his game that need work. I think he'll get there, but really he's not yet. I know he's capable of more. He's playing well for a second year player and a 21 year old. He's not a good 2C yet though.

I'd saying he is closer then you give him credit for. Points wise he is in the middle range for a #2 center. His possession numbers are very good. Borders between top end for #2 centers or bottom end #1 centers. Defensive positioning is about as good as you get. Areas of weakness are strength on puck and still lacks NHL finish. At this point in his career he is a good #2 center with the potential to score and control the play like a #1 within a couple years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd saying he is closer then you give him credit for. Points wise he is in the middle range for a #2 center. His possession numbers are very good. Borders between top end for #2 centers or bottom end #1 centers. Defensive positioning is about as good as you get. Areas of weakness are strength on puck and still lacks NHL finish. At this point in his career he is a good #2 center with the potential to score and control the play like a #1 within a couple years.

Agree with this post.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Other than wishing for more points I don't get the beef with Scheif. NHL finish? The kids been snake bit a number of times, how many times has he rung the bar? Has to be in the neighborhood of a dozen and as far as assists go, his linemates haven't always been finishing juggernauts when he's laid it in for them. Bit of luck, bit of polish, big difference in what we're talking about.

I even think his "strength" on the puck is exaggerated, I'd like to see him fall down less the same as the next guy but I don't find he gives up the puck unnecessarily too often and he wins his fair share of puck battles as well. In fact over the last 3rd of the season I think he's been great along the wall, particularly behind the net.

Last edited:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Is that your way of saying Ehlers should add 10 - 15 LBS

ha ha no...

I would be tempted to see Ehlers with petan for an extended stretch, but Scheif's defensive play is something Ehlers could learn from, plus he avoids cutting to the middle and getting killed, that may still happen, but a bit less likely with ehlers starting on the left side....15-16 is going to be fun...

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers is special, what a damn steal where we got him! He will fit in very nicely with Lowry next year and on pp duty!

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
The frustrating thing about Scheif, is that one of his best attributes is his shot, but he never seems to be able to get it off in time. I think once he figures that out, he could hit some nice goal totals.

I am quite pleased with his development thus far though.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Other than wishing for more points I don't get the beef with Scheif. NHL finish? The kids been snake bit a number of times, how many times has he rung the bar? Has to be in the neighborhood of a dozen and as far as assists go, his linemates haven't always been finishing juggernauts when he's laid it in for them. Bit of luck, bit of polish, big difference in what we're talking about.

I even think his "strength" on the puck is exaggerated, I'd like to see him fall down less the same as the next guy but I don't find he gives up the puck unnecessarily too often and he wins his fair share of puck battles as well. In fact over the last 3rd of the season I think he's been great along the wall, particularly behind the net.

Scheif is the best at winning board battles while looking like he lost them. People would be surprised at how well he does in them overall.

edit: can't find the pic but I've even seen him win a board battle while inverted up against the boards and basically on his head. (I think it was the game vs blues where trouba got hurt)

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I think Buff is the odd man out on the right side. For the money he deserves, and the term he wants, I don't think he's worth it. If he takes a discount either in term or dollars, he can stay.

Trade him now instead of later.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I think Buff is the odd man out on the right side. For the money he deserves, and the term he wants, I don't think he's worth it. If he takes a discount either in term or dollars, he can stay.

Trade him now instead of later.

I got to agree.

I'd imagine he's worth a good amount after his season this year. This is when we will get the best return for him I reckon.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Buff is a great player, it's been discussed on the boards many times but I can't see why they can't put a rhd on left side, how would this look for ya:
Buff Myers
Enstrom Trouba
Morrissey Ufa
Stu
Chariot
Boo ya!

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I got to agree.

I'd imagine he's worth a good amount after his season this year. This is when we will get the best return for him I reckon.

I feel his value has been getting lower with every year that comes off his contract. We would of got a lot more for him with 2 or 3 years left then with 1 year left and no Garuntee of resigning with the team he's traded too! That's almost a rental IMO.

I 100 understand trading him was not in the cards this past few years but still a reality.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Buff is a great player, it's been discussed on the boards many times but I can't see why they can't put a rhd on left side, how would this look for ya:
Buff Myers
Enstrom Trouba
Morrissey Ufa
Stu
Chariot
Boo ya!

They can put a RHD on the left side but he won't play as well as he does on the right. They can have 3 top end RHDs. They've already shown that they can balance the minutes just fine. That isn't the issue. The issue is the next contract that Buff will get.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I really like the pairings of:

Enstrom/Myers
Chiarot/Buff

I'm not a Stuart fan, like most on here, and would love to see Josh step in to play with Troubs and move Stu to #7/8 role. Not going to happen, but I would like to see it. Likely anohter year or two away from seeing that.

Morrissey will probably start in the AHL. But will be called up when injuries hit.

Edit: I think Buff is signed to an extension in the summer. The financial crunch comes the following year, after the 2015/16 year, and that may be when we see Buff moved.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really like the pairings of:

Enstrom/Myers
Chiarot/Buff

I'm not a Stuart fan, like most on here, and would love to see Josh step in to play with Troubs and move Stu to #7/8 role. Not going to happen, but I would like to see it. Likely anohter year or two away from seeing that.

Morrissey will probably start in the AHL. But will be called up when injuries hit.

Edit: I think Buff is signed to an extension in the summer. The financial crunch comes the following year, after the 2015/16 year, and that may be when we see Buff moved.

Buffs contract is going to require big $$$, long term and an strong NMC/NTC. If they sign Buff then Myers goes after next season. Just another argument against extending Buff. It becomes overwhelming if you look at it.

It probably doesn't happen but I'd like to see Stu traded this off-season. We like to dump on him here but a lot of teams would give us a good return on him. The arrival of Chiarot plus the availability of Morrissey makes him expendable. He could return a 4th line C + a 3rd.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Didn't Fefe have one of those possession moves in the Bolts zone the other day where 4 Bolts could not take the puck from him or hit him?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Buffs contract is going to require big $$$, long term and an strong NMC/NTC. If they sign Buff then Myers goes after next season. Just another argument against extending Buff. It becomes overwhelming if you look at it.

It probably doesn't happen but I'd like to see Stu traded this off-season. We like to dump on him here but a lot of teams would give us a good return on him. The arrival of Chiarot plus the availability of Morrissey makes him expendable. He could return a 4th line C + a 3rd.

Personally I'd like to see Buff and Stu moved in the summer.

Stu is just about our worst PKer, Clitsome is right at the top. Moving them both saves a lot of coin. It would also allow us to sign Postma for more than one year. If Myers/Trouba/Buff are still on the roster I doubt Postma would sign for more than one year, he would just go down the arbitration route and be a UFA in 2016.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Personally I'd like to see Buff and Stu moved in the summer.

Yup, preferably before the draft.

If you look at our potential lineup for next year, removing those 2 and not even getting any players in return it looks pretty darn good. The D corps is very strong and still has good depth. If we retain Staff and Stemp and bring Burmi back the top 9 is solid. The only weak spot is the 4th line.

This is not to advocate getting nothing for them (duh!) but shows how easily they could be spared. That allows great flexibility when bargaining. That is assuming we have Staff, Stemp and Burmi of course. If we are missing any or all of those then Buff and Stu have to include some replacement forwards in the return. All good.

LLW
PS-Staff
Burmi-Lowry-Ehlers
Stemp-xxx-Thor
Depth includes Hali, Peluso, Armia, Petan, Kosmo

Enstrom-Myers
Chiarot-Trouba
Morrissey-Postma
Depth includes Pardy, Harri, Ellerby

Stu rings us a 4C and a 3rd
Buff brings a 4W, 1st, 2nd + a good D prospect.

With the 4th line fixed that team lacks only goaltending to be a contender. It has both strength and depth at every other position. With all those picks and prospects Chevy would have the assets to go and get a tender if the in-house solutions aren't yet ready.

Have I got anything wrong there?

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I like Chiarot but i think honestly at best he's a good 6th d man. I know he's looked good playing with Buff but you take him away from Buff and not so much.. I think there are 100's of guys like Chiarot out there playing right now, not hundreds but lots of them, He's ok but he's nothing special in my opinion. Good Depth really, not a legit top 4 tho.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I guess O'Dell is technically not a rookie, but he's as about as close as you can come without being one, with 35 NHL games, all in this season and last.

Remember Mo recently saying he wouldn't play a rookie (or maybe he said young player) on the fourth line, and that the right place to start them off is on the third? Well he would seem to have his own philosophy bass ackward with O'Dell and Slater. Really hard to believe the things that come out of Mo's mouth sometimes, or to credit any common sense to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad