Speculation: Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - 2012-13 (Part XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetkarma*

Is he UFA or part of a potential firesale?

From TSN: Taking All Calls

The Ottawa Sun, Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon will listen to all offers because he feels his team is out of the playoff picture. The top name being dangled is reportedly Kris Versteeg.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
From TSN: Taking All Calls

The Ottawa Sun, Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon will listen to all offers because he feels his team is out of the playoff picture. The top name being dangled is reportedly Kris Versteeg.

He'd be a really good add, not sure what we have that would entice Florida though that we'd want to give up.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
He'd be a really good add, not sure what we have that would entice Florida though that we'd want to give up.

Given that the Jets won't be in the SE Division next year, they could be good trading partners. Also like the idea of removing the Jet killer from an opposition team. :laugh:

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Versteeg's a guy I'd be fine with if the Jets acquired, but I'd be just as fine if they didn't.

One on hand he's a decent 2nd line RW that would drastically improve the Jets' production and depth at that position. Also, I think he'd fit fine chemistry-wise with the current group of forwards. That's why I'd be fine with the Jets picking him up.

On the other hand, he's signed for 3 more years at a 4.4M cap hit. Right now the Jets are well under the cap so that isn't much of an issue, but by the 3rd year that could really complicate the cap situation. Also, from my point of view he's the kind of guy that is fine as a 2nd line winger on a team that consistently squeaks into the playoffs as a 6th, 7th, 8th seed, but on a legit contender he fits better as a top 9 forward that plays mostly on the 3rd line. So I guess, 3 years from now are the Jets still going to be a team that's happy paying 4.4M for Versteeg?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Versteeg's a guy I'd be fine with if the Jets acquired, but I'd be just as fine if they didn't.

One on hand he's a decent 2nd line RW that would drastically improve the Jets' production and depth at that position. Also, I think he'd fit fine chemistry-wise with the current group of forwards. That's why I'd be fine with the Jets picking him up.

On the other hand, he's signed for 3 more years at a 4.4M cap hit. Right now the Jets are well under the cap so that isn't much of an issue, but by the 3rd year that could really complicate the cap situation. Also, from my point of view he's the kind of guy that is fine as a 2nd line winger on a team that consistently squeaks into the playoffs as a 6th, 7th, 8th seed, but on a legit contender he fits better as a top 9 forward that plays mostly on the 3rd line. So I guess, 3 years from now are the Jets still going to be a team that's happy paying 4.4M for Versteeg?

Yeah I'm going back and forth on this. He does't fit the pay structure as a third liner, but might not be a good enough second liner for a Cup team. I'm gonna play around with this a bit.

for 2013/14

FWDS

1.Kane (5.25)
2. Jokinen (4.50)
3. Versteeg(4.40)
4. Ladd (4.40)
5. Wheeler (4.50**)
6. Little (3.75**)
7. Burmistrov (1.75**)
8. Slater (1.60)
9. Scheifele (1.59)
10. Thorburn (0.87)
11.Wright (0.65)
12. Peluso (0.750**)
13. Tangradi (0.65**) ...or don't qualify him if he doesn't improve

Antropov, Miettinen, Wellwood UFA

Total $34.66M

DEF

1. Byfuglien (5.25)
2. Enstrom (5.75)
3. Bogosian (5.5**)
4. Stuart (1.70)
5. Postma (1.25**)
6. Redmond (0.75**) Hope he recovers..

Hainsey, Clitsome UFA

Total $20.20M

GOAL

Pavelec (3.9)

Montoya UFA

** RFA that I guestimated

All together with Versteeg on board without trading anyone on the roster would give us around $58.7M, or $5.3M in cap space. We'd still need to sign a 3rd liner with some talent to play with Burmistrov/Scheifele. And a couple of LD that are or replace Hainsey and Clitsome. The Trouba's possible arrival :yo: is another wild card. We'd certainly be a lot closer to the cap than we are now. Jokinen's $4.5 would be expiring as well too so we wouldn't be forced into a stagnant FA period at any point anyway.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah I'm going back and forth on this. He does't fit the pay structure as a third liner, but might not be a good enough second liner for a Cup team. I'm gonna play around with this a bit.

for 2013/14

FWDS

1.Kane (5.25)
2. Jokinen (4.50)
3. Versteeg(4.40)
4. Ladd (4.40)
5. Wheeler (4.50**)
6. Little (3.75**)
7. Burmistrov (1.75**)
8. Slater (1.60)
9. Scheifele (1.59)
10. Thorburn (0.87)
11.Wright (0.65)
12. Peluso (0.750**)
13. Tangradi (0.65**) ...or don't qualify him if he doesn't improve

Antropov, Miettinen, Wellwood UFA

Total $34.66M

DEF

1. Byfuglien (5.25)
2. Enstrom (5.75)
3. Bogosian (5.5**)
4. Stuart (1.70)
5. Postma (1.25**)
6. Redmond (0.75**) Hope he recovers..

Hainsey, Clitsome UFA

Total $20.20M

GOAL

Pavelec (3.9)

Montoya UFA

** RFA that I guestimated

All together with Versteeg on board without trading anyone on the roster would give us around $58.7M, or $5.3M in cap space. We'd still need to sign a 3rd liner with some talent to play with Burmistrov/Scheifele. And a couple of LD that are or replace Hainsey and Clitsome. The Trouba's possible arrival :yo: is another wild card. We'd certainly be a lot closer to the cap than we are now. Jokinen's $4.5 would be expiring as well too so we wouldn't be forced into a stagnant FA period at any point anyway.

But how are you going to get Versteeg without trading a roster player, or one of our top prospects. Unless you were looking at trading some combination of draft picks.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
But how are you going to get Versteeg without trading a roster player, or one of our top prospects. Unless you were looking at trading some combination of draft picks.

Sorry that was a little incomplete. I just wanted to see what the salary would look like for our salary structure and what roster flexibility we would or woudn't have. I'm not sure what Florida would be interested in and what we'd be able to afford to move. Trading draft picks is pretty unlikely I think.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

It's hard to say. If they decide to trade him they will probably get a decent return but his contract will keep a lot of teams away. Not that he's grossy overpaid or anything like that, just that there are 3 more years to go and acquiring him will significantly effect any team's cap flexibility going forward.

Another small thing that doesn't count in his favor is that the way his contract was structured he's actually owed 14M over the next 3.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Versteeg's been traded 4 times already, so there's a good gauge already set for his value:

Chicago Blackhawks traded Kris Versteeg and Bill Sweatt to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Viktor Stalberg, Chris DiDomenico and Philippe Paradis.

Toronto Maple Leafs traded Kris Versteeg to the Philadelphia Flyers for a first and third-round draft pick in 2011.

Philadelphia Flyers traded Kris Versteeg to the Florida Panthers for a conditional 2nd round selection and a 3rd round selection in 2012.

His value seemed to dip a bit, but he's been great in Florida, so I'd expect it climbs a little bit.

Maybe a 2nd and 3rd again? Or pick (2nd or 3rd) + prospect?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Chevy will at least be familiar with Versteeg from their time in Chicago. I had hoped Cheveldayoff would have acquired Versteeg in the summer of 2011, though it seemed things just didn't line up, and it was obvious Tallon wanted (and got) one of his former Blackhawks. Perhaps Cheveldayoff packages one of our extra 2nd round picks for Versteeg. I'd be all for that.

Versteeg would help our depth at RW, in my opinion.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Versteeg's been traded 4 times already, so there's a good gauge already set for his value:

His value seemed to dip a bit, but he's been great in Florida, so I'd expect it climbs a little bit.

Maybe a 2nd and 3rd again? Or pick (2nd or 3rd) + prospect?

Wouldn't be terrible to give up 2nd + 3rd for him but Florida can probably get more from someone. We don't even really have any expendable prospects worth much either. Maybe they just want to shed a little salary and we get lucky lol

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Wouldn't be terrible to give up 2nd + 3rd for him but Florida can probably get more from someone. We don't even really have any expendable prospects worth much either. Maybe they just want to shed a little salary and we get lucky lol

They most definitely could. I imagine that Tallon would probably want a first for him, and that's just a starting point.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I could see Cheveldayoff perhaps dealing Burmistrov for either of Versteeg or Stastny between now and the trade deadline.

Versteeg is signed for the next 3 seasons, which is ideal.

Stastny is more risky in that he is a UFA after next season.

There are pros and cons to both potential players, but we may get to a point where we do indeed trade Burmistrov. Me personally, I would be ok with it. Burmistrov has nice tools and appealing potential, whether or not he reaches that potential i'm a little unsure. I'm also unsure if he fits into Chevy/the Jets plans headed forward.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I could see Cheveldayoff perhaps dealing Burmistrov for either of Versteeg or Stastny between now and the trade deadline.

There are pros and cons to both potential players, but we may get to a point where we do indeed trade Burmistrov. Me personally, I would be ok with it. Burmistrov has nice tools and appealing potential, whether or not he reaches that potential i'm a little unsure. I'm also unsure if he fits into Chevy/the Jets plans headed forward.

Id be ok with either of those trades.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I'd do Lowry and a third for Versteeg. Assuming Lowry probably has similar value to a mid range first round pick.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

I'd be pissed if we moved Burmi for Versteeg. I definitely think we could use him to obtain a better player.

I love Stastny, but that cap hit + soon to be a free agent really worries me.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

Stastny would cost more then Burmistrov. Besides the Avs need defence, not more forwards.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd do Lowry and a third for Versteeg. Assuming Lowry probably has similar value to a mid range first round pick.

Value wise it makes sense. But I would hate to lose Lowry, who seems to be the exact kind of player Chevy craves. A big character guy who can put up points. I see him as a long time Jet.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Yeah, don't really want any part of dealing away Lowry before we even get to see him in a JETS uniform.

I'd deal Sutter and a 2nd or a 3rd for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad