Speculation: Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - 2012-13 (Part XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetkarma*

Trade Deadline day never lives up to the TSN hype. Every year they sit there for 8 hours dissecting the trades of players like Hal Gill and Erik Christensen.

True , but probably even less so this time.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
To 75% of the people on these boards the value of a player is entirely based on the score sheet.

So when a guy obviously now too slow to play in the NHL, who turns over the puck frequently, can't keep up with a rush, is too slow to come back from a play down low (where he usually arrives when the play has already turned the other way) doesn't help to generate offence, doesn't score, rarely hits the net on a shot, has a paltry 4.2% S% but he makes up for it with his one hit every 3 games right!:shakehead

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
So when a guy obviously now too slow to play in the NHL, who turns over the puck frequently, can't keep up with a rush, is too slow to come back from a play down low (where he usually arrives when the play has already turned the other way) doesn't help to generate offence, doesn't score, rarely hits the net on a shot, has a paltry 4.2% S% but he makes up for it with his one hit every 3 games right!:shakehead

You sure that 4.2% sh% isn't evidence against you on his production being him and not poor puck luck....

Especially when his career #s are around 15%...

shooting percentages rarely change dramatically unless by luck, natural variance or small sample size

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

Jets are bottom 10 for sure, maybe bottom 5 in the league when it comes to the centre position - I could name 20 teams that have a better first line centre and better centre depth than us quite easily. It's the biggest reason for lack of scoring. Antro might be back on this team next season though(approx. $2 million per imo) for lack of a better option.

What has frustrated me most about this team are Pav's medicocre goaltending, lack of production from Jokinen, and lack of scoring from the third line. For that last one, remember when we had visions on this board of rolling out a third line that could actually score goals. Ha! Here we are two months into the season, and one of those third liners has been traded, another has produced little offensively all season (Antropov), the third hasn't shown improvements in his game that we expected and is a turnover machine (Burmi). Even switching up the members of the third line hasn't helped. It's still a deadzone offensively.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jets are bottom 10 for sure, maybe bottom 5 in the league when it comes to the centre position - I could name 20 teams that have a better first line centre and better centre depth than us quite easily. It's the biggest reason for lack of scoring. Antro might be back on this team next season though(approx. $2 million per imo) for lack of a better option.

What has frustrated me most about this team are Pav's medicocre goaltending, lack of production from Jokinen, and lack of scoring from the third line. For that last one, remember when we had visions on this board of rolling out a third line that could actually score goals. Ha! Here we are two months into the season, and one of those third liners has been traded, another has produced little offensively all season (Antropov), the third hasn't shown improvements in his game that we expected and is a turnover machine (Burmi). Even switching up the members of the third line hasn't helped. It's still a deadzone offensively.

I still think Burmi Antro and Poni would have had a decent year as a 3rd line but because Olli has struggled to play well in the top 6 and Welly has been a gong show it forced 3rd line assets into top 6 positions and we are back to where we were last year with a 3rd line that rarely looks the same shift to shift let alone game to game.......organizational depth is a big issue.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I still think Burmi Antro and Poni would have had a decent year as a 3rd line but because Olli has struggled to play well in the top 6 and Welly has been a gong show it forced 3rd line assets into top 6 positions and we are back to where we were last year with a 3rd line that rarely looks the same shift to shift let alone game to game.......organizational depth is a big issue.

That it is. Looks like it will take a few years to sort itself out, barring some free agent signings.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What do you guys think of trading for Cory Perry(if he is avaiable) and giving him the max.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What do you guys think of trading for Cory Perry(if he is avaiable) and giving him the max.

The max for next season is 12.86 million. Yeah no chance.

As much as I can't stand Corey Fairy, and I think people will be greatly disappointed in him since they will be expecting a 50g 90pt guy when he is a 35-40g, 70-75pt guy, I still think he would be a very nice signing for the Jets. His little girlish high voice drives people nuts, he works hard, can contribute offensively obviously, goes to the tough areas of the ice, be a nice fit in the top 6. But he is no franchise player. 5-6 years at 7.5 million is as high as I'd go. He is not a playmaking twoway centreman that makes his teammates better like a Getzlaf. Parise got 7.5, so that's about what you would pay for Fairy.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The max for next season is 12.86 million. Yeah no chance.

As much as I can't stand Corey Fairy, and I think people will be greatly disappointed in him since they will be expecting a 50g 90pt guy when he is a 35-40g, 70-75pt guy, I still think he would be a very nice signing for the Jets. His little girlish high voice drives people nuts, he works hard, can contribute offensively obviously, goes to the tough areas of the ice, be a nice fit in the top 6. But he is no franchise player. 5-6 years at 7.5 million is as high as I'd go. He is not a playmaking twoway centreman that makes his teammates better like a Getzlaf. Parise got 7.5, so that's about what you would pay for Fairy.

I would pass at that level......it just feels like a old school leafs, Rangers, Flyers thing to do and does it ever really work out? Other than Chara who was a game changer for Boston I think you get yourself in more trouble than not by going for home runs with UFA's especially with the cap going down short term....Hello Buffalo!

OmarComin

Jan 8, 2012
It would be nice if Boston let Horton walk (doubtful). He would be perfect on RW with Kane.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It would be nice if Boston let Horton walk (doubtful). He would be perfect on RW with Kane.

Great avi I am just starting season 2 of the wire and find Omar's character to be entertaining

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Oiler fan coming in peace :)

What would your opinion be regarding the following proposal:

Yakupov + Edm 1st rd pick 2013
For
Kane + WPG 1st rd pick 2013

Edm's pick is looking like top 3 at this point......

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

For

Wouldn't do it. Kane, for all his peculiarities, is a competitor. Yak is starting to look like a flake. I'm not surprised to see oiler fans roaming the boards though ;) Oil have major issues. With all the RNH talk going on you almost have to wonder if something could happen with him too! Personally I think they may have done permanent damage to his career. Clearly the shoulder is still a problem and the confidence is shot to the point where he is a liability.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
i wouldn't i expect Kane to be a player on par with your average 1st overall pick, I believe he's that good and has that sort of skill set.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Channelcat, Nuge has been fine. Yes his offensive numbers have gone down but every other part of his game has improved (except face offs). I'm not worried about Nuge at all. His shoulder might be messed up - and Oilers should take care of it.... But as for as his game, he's creating chances, he's going up against top opponents and all that. Not worried about him at all....

Your comment about the Oilers and the team being a mess is valid. The kids are good but we are too small up front and suck everywhere else. Id love for the team to build around Hall, Ebs, Nuge, Yak and Schultz and fill in pieces but it won't happen unless we trade the kids. Thus the proposal above

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

For

Desperation in Oiler land and no visible light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't understand the Jets fans that are intent on getting younger, tanking or going the Edmonton route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad