Speculation: Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - 2012-13 (Part XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Well there is light at the end of the tunnel. If we get a top 5 pick it means heads will roll. A competent GM should be able to take the pieces we have plus the high pick this year and actually build a team. The clowns we currently have are a joke.

I personally am praying we can lure Jim Nill from Det to be the next GM. Doubt he wants to leave but maybe a boat load of cash and a team with a lot of young pieces will be enough.

jetkarma*

Well there is light at the end of the tunnel. If we get a top 5 pick it means heads will roll. A competent GM should be able to take the pieces we have plus the high pick this year and actually build a team. The clowns we currently have are a joke

There is NO chance Kevin Cheveldayoff is fired this season regardless of where we finish . Read and repeat... NO chance.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Well there is light at the end of the tunnel. If we get a top 5 pick it means heads will roll. A competent GM should be able to take the pieces we have plus the high pick this year and actually build a team. The clowns we currently have are a joke.

I personally am praying we can lure Jim Nill from Det to be the next GM. Doubt he wants to leave but maybe a boat load of cash and a team with a lot of young pieces will be enough.

Should be able to. In a way it involves starting over.

I wonder what that shake up would look like. I would think at least 1 young star gets moved.

I still wonder if your team would have been better off with Ryan Murray and Methot than Yak. That appeared to be on the table

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I still follow Jets 1.0 in Phoenix. Tippett's contract ends this year.

What would you think of him as a coach for the Jets?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Fiarly certain DoubleDown is an Oilers fan an dhis quote on Current Clowns, Heads Rolling, and Jim Nill, was in regards to the Oilers Management, NOT the Jets... We aren't on a track for a top 5 pick this year

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Desperation in Oiler land and no visible light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't understand the Jets fans that are intent on getting younger, tanking or going the Edmonton route.

I think you well know that I am not one for going high pick this year, but there is a big difference between rebuilding and going the Edmonton route. All teams like Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, etc all rebuilt their organizations in order to win the Stanley Cup, whereas Edmonton firesold EVERYTHING and completely destroyed their organization for 1st overall picks. That's stupid, rebuilding the right way is quite different compared to Edmonton.

jetkarma*

Nobody said Chevy was on the chopping block.

His post is in Jets forum and what he alludes to certainly can be seen as pertaining to the JETS , if it wasn't he needs to state he is posting about another team and there there is more appropriate forum for that.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
Wonder what the Panthers would want for Goc? He could fit in nicely on the 3rd line and probably doesn't cost to much.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
His post is in Jets forum and what he alludes to certainly can be seen as pertaining to the JETS , if it wasn't he needs to state he is posting about another team and there there is more appropriate forum for that.

you came in halfway through the conversation. He announced on the previous page that he was an Oilers fan and was looking for trade proposals.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I think you have the right idea. Oilers need to trade away some of their very skilled (though often repeated) assets for some different pieces.

No way I'm trading Kane though. The guy is signed at a GREAT contract right now, and if there was any concern he'd get lazy after he did that is gone. He is at a whole new level this year. He competes, he has passion, and he puts the puck in the net PLUS he's big and strong.

He is like platinum in the NHL. Yakupov may turn out to be great but the risk is too high. There is no way of knowing if he will ever be as important a piece of a winning team than what Kane is showing.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think you well know that I am not one for going high pick this year, but there is a big difference between rebuilding and going the Edmonton route. All teams like Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, etc all rebuilt their organizations in order to win the Stanley Cup, whereas Edmonton firesold EVERYTHING and completely destroyed their organization for 1st overall picks. That's stupid, rebuilding the right way is quite different compared to Edmonton.

Wait, what? Firesold? Explain.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

He came here with a trade proposal. Slow your roll :)

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I want to further clarify my opinion on the Yakupov/Kane trade.

The first reason is potential, Yakupov + higher 1st has more potential than Kane. We're not in "win now" mode. We're in let's plan for the future mode.

Second reason is cap space, which is very valuable considering the cap is going down. Chopping almost $2 million off.

Third reason is situational need. I think we dearly need one-timers on our PP. Right now we only have Byfuglien, Bogosian, and Jokinen with Enstrom out. Yakupov is fantastic on the half-boards.

Fourth reason and probably most valuable is moving up in the draft order.

The value is there.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wait, what? Firesold? Explain.

They got rid of everything when they rebuilt. Teams like LA, CHI, BOS had talent in the system they kept through the rebuild, at least until better talent came around. That's why they were able to pull out of the rebuild after a couple of seasons. Meanwhile EDM got rid of everything and is dependant completely on the young talent to take them out of the rebuild. Maybe it was just very very poor talent evaluation, but they sold or got rid of Roloson, Smyth, Greene, Stoll, Visnovsky, Samsonov, Cogliano, etc that could have helped them. Guys like Horcoff and Whitney are merely part of the problem.

Combine that with a poor drafting strategy by drafting a bunch of individual talent that play the same game and you have that joke of an organization.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They got rid of everything when they rebuilt. Teams like LA, CHI, BOS had talent in the system they kept through the rebuild, at least until better talent came around. That's why they were able to pull out of the rebuild after a couple of seasons. Meanwhile EDM got rid of everything and is dependant completely on the young talent to take them out of the rebuild. Maybe it was just very very poor talent evaluation, but they sold or got rid of Roloson, Smyth, Greene, Stoll, Visnovsky, Samsonov, Cogliano, etc that could have helped them. Guys like Horcoff and Whitney are merely part of the problem.

Combine that with a poor drafting strategy by drafting a bunch of individual talent that play the same game and you have that joke of an organization.

I think you extremely overstated got rid of EVERYTHING. They lost players that they didn't necessarily want to (Pronger). They kept Horcoff, Moreau for a long time, Khabibulin, Jones, Hemsky. They graduated Gagner and Smid. I don't agree with the way the Oilers drafted but they certainly did not get rid of everybody.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
According to TSN, the Panthers may be looking to trade Versteeg. If that's the case, Chevy should go hard after him.

Gives us another top six forward that we desperately need, and then we NEVER have to worry about playing against him again!

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
According to TSN, the Panthers may be looking to trade Versteeg. If that's the case, Chevy should go hard after him.

Gives us another top six forward that we desperately need, and then we NEVER have to worry about playing against him again!

While taking top 6 forwards from a (temporary) division rival is good, we are far more in need of centres, as we have Kane, Ladd, Little and Wheeler who are competent top 6 wingers. I'd rather Chevy use the resources that could be used to pick up Versteeg to get a scoring centre.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

I'd love Versteeg.

Winnipeg and Florida are already the teams with all the scraps from Chicago's cup win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad