Post-Game Talk: Jets finish Preds. 5-1. ADVANCE TO THE WCF for the first time in HISTORY!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
People will say that Pred's Goalie Rinne lost them the game-- but is this really true ?? Well in part yes, because he let in a couple soft goals. I will tell you this however, if you only score 1 goal all game long in a crucial Game 7-- do you not deserve to lose ???--I think "yes" you do. Also that 1 lone goal came on a power play.

As PK Subban said--we win or lose as a team and all of us didn't lift our game up -he said--"were all to blame"-- at least he called it like it is. The Jet's were the better team.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
@Aavco Cup...... It's okay you can unclench and breathe now.... They did it.

Did you lock yourself in a basement or something?

Hey Dogs -- just like you -- I'm waiting for Aavco to make his appearance back on our boards, and share the wealth of knowledge he has. He can come out of his basement now, as the Jet's won--and of course we all miss him.:)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
HAHA. YAAAAAAAAAH!

Finally got home!!! So excited. So pumped up!!! GO JETS

frnXxyM.gif
I never get tired of this.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I got really ticked when the CBC clowns commented that "Canada" still has a team in the playoffs. **** you, rest of Canada. People all across this country gleefully **** on my city at every opportunity. Winterpeg, Loserpeg, etc. If the Jets win the Cup, it is ours and ours alone. You can't have it. You can't even touch it. Hell, you can't even look at it. Avert your eyes to the ground when it appears before you, you mass of unworthiness. :eviltongu

It's funny because Toronto gets shit on all across the country too. Too expensive, too fake, not nearly as interesting as it thinks it is, definitely not comparable to a place like N.Y or L.A. or London or another Western megacity. Oh and Vancouver is also too expensive and nicknamed "no-fun-city," Ottawa is too expensive and boring, Edmonton is boring and cold, Calgary is full of rednecks and cowboys, just forget about Saskatchewan, and the east coast is charming but good luck finding a job! Montreal, of course, is perfect.

In fact in my life as a native Winnipegger by far the most complaining about actual life in Winnipeg has been from fellow Winnipeggers as the city became a shell of its former self in the 80's and 90's. Also people who moved here during that time from bigger cities had a lot to say. But the people I've met who moved here from Vancouver, Toronto, even L.A. in the past 10 years or so have had nothing bad so say about Winnipeg. There's obviously a big difference in the number of events and such compared to a bigger and richer city, but Winnipeg has a much more relaxed pace of life, reasonable cost-of-living, and surprisingly vibrant arts, food and sporting scenes. The winter is brutal in Jan-Feb but you do get used to it, and now that the city is finally embracing its identity as a winter city with more winter events, going outside in -30 doesn't seem so bad anymore. And Winnipeg still has a very "authentic" feel to it, lots of heritage buildings, large blue-collar population, not a lot of pretension going on in the city though all the condos and gentrification have choked a little bit of it out. A lot of people appreciate that.

But the taxes are too damn high. And food is way too expensive and the roads do suck. But we don't have mosquitoes anymore - that I think was the worst part about Winnipeg...

folix

Jul 24, 2011
I got really ticked when the CBC clowns commented that "Canada" still has a team in the playoffs. **** you, rest of Canada. People all across this country gleefully **** on my city at every opportunity. Winterpeg, Loserpeg, etc. If the Jets win the Cup, it is ours and ours alone. You can't have it. You can't even touch it. Hell, you can't even look at it. Avert your eyes to the ground when it appears before you, you mass of unworthiness. :eviltongu

This is quite possibly the post of the year.

Reactions: GNP

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's funny because Toronto gets **** on all across the country too. Too expensive, too fake, not nearly as interesting as it thinks it is, definitely not comparable to a place like N.Y or L.A. or London or another Western megacity. Oh and Vancouver is also too expensive and nicknamed "no-fun-city," Ottawa is too expensive and boring, Edmonton is boring and cold, Calgary is full of rednecks and cowboys, just forget about Saskatchewan, and the east coast is charming but good luck finding a job! Montreal, of course, is perfect.

In fact in my life as a native Winnipegger by far the most complaining about actual life in Winnipeg has been from fellow Winnipeggers as the city became a shell of its former self in the 80's and 90's. Also people who moved here during that time from bigger cities had a lot to say. But the people I've met who moved here from Vancouver, Toronto, even L.A. in the past 10 years or so have had nothing bad so say about Winnipeg. There's obviously a big difference in the number of events and such compared to a bigger and richer city, but Winnipeg has a much more relaxed pace of life, reasonable cost-of-living, and surprisingly vibrant arts, food and sporting scenes. The winter is brutal in Jan-Feb but you do get used to it, and now that the city is finally embracing its identity as a winter city with more winter events, going outside in -30 doesn't seem so bad anymore. And Winnipeg still has a very "authentic" feel to it, lots of heritage buildings, large blue-collar population, not a lot of pretension going on in the city though all the condos and gentrification have choked a little bit of it out. A lot of people appreciate that.

But the taxes are too damn high. And food is way too expensive and the roads do suck. But we don't have mosquitoes anymore - that I think was the worst part about Winnipeg...

Wait a minute! We got rid of the mosquitoes???

folix

Jul 24, 2011
People will say that Pred's Goalie Rinne lost them the game-- but is this really true ?? Well in part yes, because he let in a couple soft goals. I will tell you this however, if you only score 1 goal all game long in a crucial Game 7-- do you not deserve to lose ???--I think "yes" you do. Also that 1 lone goal came on a power play.

As PK Subban said--we win or lose as a team and all of us didn't lift our game up -he said--"were all to blame"-- at least he called it like it is. The Jet's were the better team.

The first one sure, however Myers said they had scouting reports to shoot from there on Rinne. Ill be honest that second goal NOT Rinne's fault, he made the first save, and then watch Ellis, there is ONLY 1 jet in the entire zone, thats Stasny he has the puck WTF was Ellis guarding? The first shot was stopped no one stopped him from coming out from behind the net. That was a complete defensive cluster you know what. Im sorry but working hard banging in your own rebound is not a fluke goal nor a bad goal by the tender.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Some final observations:

1. Don’t have to look at the smug looks of Watson , Subban et al

2. Broadcasters - who was the POS from the Preds broadcast crew/ media when discussing the city of Winnipeg (May 3, approx 5 pm) said it’s not the worst place he has been. Class act.

3. The Catfish crap is over.

4. We are on to the next round.

5. Those travelling to LV, be careful of the cilantro. It can kick your a$$ if you don’t have your game face on.

Edit: we have a talented hockey club. Enjoy the ride my friends.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Wait a minute! We got rid of the mosquitoes???

I remember 10-20 years ago you could NOT go to a park after dark in the summer without fully covering every inch of your body. And even then you'd get some bites through your clothes. I swear I almost had PTSD from being constantly on guard for mosquitos growing up. Can't remember the last time I had to do that, but maybe it's still bad in places in the city I don't get out to.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I see that tool bandwagon jumper Carrie Underwood just tweeted her support for Vegas now and offered to sing the anthem at their games. Not a single "good game/series Winnipeg". F*** her and her s*** music. Man i dont know why this makes me so mad lol.
Maybe she can bring some of the good luck she bestowed upon Rinne and the Preds to the Golden Knights...take her up on the offer, Vegas! ;)

Reactions: scelaton

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I remember 10-20 years ago you could NOT go to a park after dark in the summer without fully covering every inch of your body. And even then you'd get some bites through your clothes. I swear I almost had PTSD from being constantly on guard for mosquitos growing up. Can't remember the last time I had to do that, but maybe it's still bad in places in the city I don't get out to.

I remember door knocking in River Heights for an election campaign in 1993, so 25 years ago. I bailed on it in under an hour because the mosquitos were so bad. Back at home I stopped counting after I counted 100 mosquito bites - that's like 2 bites per minute or more.

Reactions: JeDub

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Were those really soft goals though?

On the first goal Renne was tight against the post with his pad - the puck just kind of deflected up off his stick and somehow snuck around him. I'd call that more flukey than soft.

On the second goal Stastny tries the wraparound. Renne gets over, makes the initial stop - but Stastny was all along in front of the net, was able to get his own rebound and put it up over Renne. I'd put that more on Nashville's D for not pressuring Stastny.

Or am I wrong? I'm no goalie expert.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

On the first goal Renne was tight against the post with his pad - the puck just kind of deflected up off his stick and somehow snuck around him. I'd call that more flukey than soft.

On the second goal Stastny tries the wraparound. Renne gets over, makes the initial stop - but Stastny was all along in front of the net, was able to get his own rebound and put it up over Renne. I'd put that more on Nashville's D for not pressuring Stastny.

I'm no goalie expert either but impression of both of those goals is that they were incredibly weak.

The first one they talked about at 2nd intermission I think and showed how proper goaltending has the pad flush with the post with the skate inside the net. Instead Rinne had his blade on the post which left room for the puck to go under his blade right along the ice between his skate and the post.

On the second one he made the first save fine. Then he completely leaned away from the play for no reason. There was no backdoor threat or anything, he just took himself out of the play. So the entire net was open for Stastny to just flip it in. There was no reason for him to lean away and give the whole net empty. In proper positioning he shouldn't have been off-balance from the first save. If Rinne simply stays in a butterfly facing the play it's a very routine stop on the rebound.

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Hey Yukon -- in my opinion the 1st goal was a soft goal and never should have been let in--especially from that angle--"no way."

I do agree with you on the 2nd goal though, as it took a great deal of skill to flip that puck up from being in such a tight position, especially with a curved stick that was curved the wrong way. I also think the D-man should have taken Statsny out of there like you say--have to watch it again-- but I don't think you can blame Rinne on Goal #2--it was a pretty good goal by Statsny.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I'd agree with you.

Overall, great goalies prevent more of those types of lucky or flukey goals, though. I remember that was one of the big arguments in the dark ages of Pavelec. Defenders would try to absolve him of all the goals scored on him, but it wasn't so much that Pav was letting in too many soft goals, it was that he wasn't stopping enough tough shots.

The first goal, I looked at that a lot and Rinne looked like he was where he was supposed to be but it just snuck in... 'flukey'.

The second goal is all on the D. How the hell do you let Stasny grab the puck, pull it out front, and get not one but two shots? Ellis was in front checking air.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Great post here by Dan Kelly --and I couldn't agree more !!! As a life-long Winnipeger, I'm sick and tired of other big market cities like Toronto and others, referring to Winnipeg as the "armpit" of the country, where "nobody" wants to play, and that it's just a frozen wasteland. This is far from the truth. Winnipeger's should take exception to this kind of talk.

I can tell you right now that Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and Minnesota--certainly get their share of -24 C weather in January and February. Also there is only really 2 very cold months here in Winnipeg, and that's January and February. Believe me, it also gets cold in Boston and New York --"their not tropical paradises." Hockey was invented in Canada, and it's a "winter sport."

With a great ownership group, and the best GM in the business, you'll see a lot of players be very happy to come to Winnipeg, and play in front of sold out crowds, instead of empty buildings. Paul Statsny is just one of many that will "waive" no trade clauses to come play in this great spirited hockey town.

It's about time Winnipeg will get the respect it deserves. :nod:

Too Central to be the armpit. We're more like the butthole of Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad