Post-Game Talk: Jets finish Preds. 5-1. ADVANCE TO THE WCF for the first time in HISTORY!

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The first goal was because Rinne cheats on his posts to get across and out on cross ice passes. Having your skate blade against the post is going to stop it from going in and Myers talked about how they had discussed shooting there because of how he plays it. Bad goal.

The 2nd goal was even worse from a team perspective. Both D just leave it. Ellis basically just looked at it and said I am not going to get because I am tired of being run over. Rinne doesnt go get it either and he probably should have maybe. He makes the first save but has no idea where the puck is and moves off his post again. If he just sits there it hits him. I think Helly might have made 2 saves later in the game on similar down low plays where he just stays on the post,hugs it and then finds the puck.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Wait a minute! We got rid of the mosquitoes???

You didn't hear? They carpetbagged to Calgary and Sask and TO at the height of the resource boom and haven't found their way back yet. Suck it, formerly low mosquito-count Canadian cities!

Saw (and killed) my first mozzie of the year at Dufferin Grove Park in TO two weeks ago. Like winter, bugs are a fact of life in Canada, though the Old Testament duelling-caterpillar weeks of last year were pretty epic. That was full on plague.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
I got really ticked when the CBC clowns commented that "Canada" still has a team in the playoffs. **** you, rest of Canada. People all across this country gleefully **** on my city at every opportunity. Winterpeg, Loserpeg, etc. If the Jets win the Cup, it is ours and ours alone. You can't have it. You can't even touch it. Hell, you can't even look at it. Avert your eyes to the ground when it appears before you, you mass of unworthiness. :eviltongu

I loved Wheelers response last round when asked about that “Uh, I play for Winnipeg”.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
this is awesome i said game 3 was the best game ever nope i'll take game 7 any day. damn perfect.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I'm no goalie expert either but impression of both of those goals is that they were incredibly weak.

The first one they talked about at 2nd intermission I think and showed how proper goaltending has the pad flush with the post with the skate inside the net. Instead Rinne had his blade on the post which left room for the puck to go under his blade right along the ice between his skate and the post.

On the second one he made the first save fine. Then he completely leaned away from the play for no reason. There was no backdoor threat or anything, he just took himself out of the play. So the entire net was open for Stastny to just flip it in. There was no reason for him to lean away and give the whole net empty. In proper positioning he shouldn't have been off-balance from the first save. If Rinne simply stays in a butterfly facing the play it's a very routine stop on the rebound.

That was decided non-goalie expert Nick Kypreos, though.

The real discussion is a little more nuanced:

Blade on post is a real option that some goalies like, as @Joe Hallenback pointed out, to give better lateral push off the post. Woodley seems to think that it, combined with no-cowling skates, was the culprit, but the stick position was off, too.

The first goal was because Rinne cheats on his posts to get across and out on cross ice passes. Having your skate blade against the post is going to stop it from going in and Myers talked about how they had discussed shooting there because of how he plays it. Bad goal.

Maybe Myers wasn't talking about Rinne in particular:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That was decided non-goalie expert Nick Kypreos, though.

The real discussion is a little more nuanced:

There certainly is nuance, I don't know goaltending all that well. Point is there is no way players should score from that angle. I don't care how it is done, but goalies HAVE to make that stop. If your style means there's a hole there, change your style cause goals like that are back breakers.

Reactions: LadyJet26

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
There certainly is nuance, I don't know goaltending all that well. Point is there is no way players should score from that angle. I don't care how it is done, but goalies HAVE to make that stop. If your style means there's a hole there, change your style cause goals like that are back breakers.

I'd certainly agree with that, but it's all about percentages.

Dellow found another:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I remember 10-20 years ago you could NOT go to a park after dark in the summer without fully covering every inch of your body. And even then you'd get some bites through your clothes. I swear I almost had PTSD from being constantly on guard for mosquitos growing up. Can't remember the last time I had to do that, but maybe it's still bad in places in the city I don't get out to.

My cousin had an outdoor wedding in the summer, and we practically had to set up an anti-aircraft perimeter.

"And do you take HOLY SHIT BOGEY 3 O CLOCK!" *buzzing sound drowns out cannon fire* *wedding party dives into tall grass*

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
People will say that Pred's Goalie Rinne lost them the game-- but is this really true ?? Well in part yes, because he let in a couple soft goals. I will tell you this however, if you only score 1 goal all game long in a crucial Game 7-- do you not deserve to lose ???--I think "yes" you do. Also that 1 lone goal came on a power play.

As PK Subban said--we win or lose as a team and all of us didn't lift our game up -he said--"were all to blame"-- at least he called it like it is. The Jet's were the better team.
Yes ... they were bad goals but there was 50 minutes left to play and the Preds were only 2 goals down but then when the only way you can win is by playing the trap ... I guess he did lose them the game.:D

Remember in game 6 ... Stastny basically had the same two scoring chances in the first period that Rinne stopped.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

Great post here by Dan Kelly --and I couldn't agree more !!! As a life-long Winnipeger, I'm sick and tired of other big market cities like Toronto and others, referring to Winnipeg as the "armpit" of the country, where "nobody" wants to play, and that it's just a frozen wasteland. This is far from the truth. Winnipeger's should take exception to this kind of talk.

I can tell you right now that Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and Minnesota--certainly get their share of -24 C weather in January and February. Also there is only really 2 very cold months here in Winnipeg, and that's January and February. Believe me, it also gets cold in Boston and New York --"their not tropical paradises." Hockey was invented in Canada, and it's a "winter sport."

With a great ownership group, and the best GM in the business, you'll see a lot of players be very happy to come to Winnipeg, and play in front of sold out crowds, instead of empty buildings. Paul Statsny is just one of many that will "waive" no trade clauses to come play in this great spirited hockey town.

It's about time Winnipeg will get the respect it deserves. :nod:
I agree with you GNP. I lived in Winnipeg 25+ years and the winters were never a problem as kids we loved it. Winnipeg is a GREAT sports town with fantastic people but the real problem with Winnipeg is it's politics which is one of the reasons the Jets 1.0 left.

Reactions: GNP

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
We need a Holy Grail.... Monty Python GDT.....

where the Knights get their Arms and Legs chopped off ..... but still can not concede defeat..... even though they have absolutey no chance against our Jets......

uEb6XXP.jpg

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Great game by the Jets. The Preds put up a good fight but in the end the good guys won. I have to admit, my belief was not high that the Jets could win a game 7 on the Preds' ice but they pulled it off. There were a couple of Jets that I wasn't impressed with that game but now is not the time to talk about that. Time to soak it all in.

Jets getting the first goal and therefore not giving the Preds a chance to implement the 1-3-1 was HUGE.

Reactions: kellhunter and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Great game by the Jets. The Preds put up a good fight but in the end the good guys won. I have to admit, my belief was not high that the Jets could win a game 7 on the Preds' ice but they pulled it off. There were a couple of Jets that I wasn't impressed with that game but now is not the time to talk about that. Time to soak it all in.

Jets getting the first goal and therefore not giving the Preds a chance to implement the 1-3-1 was HUGE.

I agree with Jet's fan here and getting the first goal was huge. I also didn't like the Jet's chances of winning 3 games in Nashville--I gave them a 40 % chance. They sure surprised me and many others, and showed the character and poise this young team has to go on the road in Game 7 against the NHL's best, and win it--impressive :)

Reactions: kellhunter

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Sens fan here.

Congratulations on that awesome game last night. So many of us here are rooting for you. It’s not so much the Canadian team thing as it is your team’s devotion. You totally deserve this and I certainly hope you reach the top. Either way, you must be proud and so excited! I remember how I felt last year at this time... Rock on and GO JETS GO!

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Wait a minute! We got rid of the mosquitoes???
Don't hold your breath. Our mosquito population is always a reflection of the amount of rain we get. Nothing more, nothing less. Last year after a bit of a wet May we dried out very well = no mosquitoes. So far this year numbers will be very low as we've been drier than a popcorn fart. How the rest of the year goes depends on the amount of moisture. Cilantro plays no role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad