Post-Game Talk: Jets finish Preds. 5-1. ADVANCE TO THE WCF for the first time in HISTORY!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Butt hurt... :naughty:

Hey, I'm happy to see Typhoid Carrie cheering for Vegas. Maybe she'll bring as much luck to them as she did to the Perds.

Carrie-Underwood-Cry-Pretty-Video-Crying.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm no goalie expert either but impression of both of those goals is that they were incredibly weak.

The first one they talked about at 2nd intermission I think and showed how proper goaltending has the pad flush with the post with the skate inside the net. Instead Rinne had his blade on the post which left room for the puck to go under his blade right along the ice between his skate and the post.

On the second one he made the first save fine. Then he completely leaned away from the play for no reason. There was no backdoor threat or anything, he just took himself out of the play. So the entire net was open for Stastny to just flip it in. There was no reason for him to lean away and give the whole net empty. In proper positioning he shouldn't have been off-balance from the first save. If Rinne simply stays in a butterfly facing the play it's a very routine stop on the rebound.

That is a very small mistake you are using to blame him for the first one. Real, but very small in a bang, bang play. I don't think you would apply such a high standard to skaters.

I didn't see the 2nd one your way at all. Stastny made a great shot lifting it up, over and behind Rinne. I agree that the D should have been on him before that could have happened. If Rinne has stopped it that would have made every highlight reel.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
That is a very small mistake you are using to blame him for the first one. Real, but very small in a bang, bang play. I don't think you would apply such a high standard to skaters.

I didn't see the 2nd one your way at all. Stastny made a great shot lifting it up, over and behind Rinne. I agree that the D should have been on him before that could have happened. If Rinne has stopped it that would have made every highlight reel.

Second goal was on Rinne, in the sense he completely misread where the rebound was going. He thought it was gonna go into the slot, and started to push off to slide cross crease, opening up the spot for Stats to flip it in.

On the first goal, it's all stick position. No idea what Rinne was doing with his paddle:

ZTANsDW.png

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Second goal was on Rinne, in the sense he completely misread where the rebound was going. He thought it was gonna go into the slot, and started to push off to slide cross crease, opening up the spot for Stats to flip it in.

On the first goal, it's all stick position. No idea what Rinne was doing with his paddle:

ZTANsDW.png

1st goal, I agree he could have played it better.

2nd, I hadn't seen what you describe but, OK. He still didn't get any help from his D.

The thing is that skaters aren't made to walk the plank for every tiny imperfection in their games. Were those goals on Rinne? Yes, at least to some extent. Does that make them 'soft' goals? Only if you are trying to sell the narrative that the Preds lost because of his bad play, IMO.

They lost 2-1 plus the EN'r after Saros came in. Myers deserves credit for hitting a tiny target where they had identified a weakness in Rinne's game. Stastny deserves credit for flipping that one in high with his backhand.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
The first goal was because Rinne cheats on his posts to get across and out on cross ice passes. Having your skate blade against the post is going to stop it from going in and Myers talked about how they had discussed shooting there because of how he plays it. Bad goal.

The 2nd goal was even worse from a team perspective. Both D just leave it. Ellis basically just looked at it and said I am not going to get because I am tired of being run over. Rinne doesnt go get it either and he probably should have maybe. He makes the first save but has no idea where the puck is and moves off his post again. If he just sits there it hits him. I think Helly might have made 2 saves later in the game on similar down low plays where he just stays on the post,hugs it and then finds the puck.

seriously?!?! if that is true it's helluva story. thought that play was fluke and Myers was just extremely lucky it went in. so they were scouting it already, but didn't try it before game seven 1st period. feels like a movie plot or something, wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad