Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 4-2 (Kuzmenko, Garland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
People that say JT did nothing wrong simply do not understand the game.

First of all there is no way you turn back into your own zone with under 1 minute left.and go south when you need to be moving north

Secondly Miller is slow and not a great puck mover so retreating is not a good move. Delia was ready to come out but when Miller retreated he retreated as well.

Then the act of slamming his stick like the whiner and cancer he is while play is still on is a non team player act that goes against every code in hockey.

Miller is a pathetic a hole. If his teammates called him out on ice for his never ending brain farts , we would be seeing hm be called out every period of every game

Signing him long term was an egregious error in judgment by PA and JR

He was circling back and waiting for the sixth guy because they want to time their break-in correctly with everyone on the ice. It's possible/likely that the plan was to ring the puck around boards on the break-in and you want the 6th guy inside the zone to help contain the puck. We don't know. We do know that the coach wanted their 6th guy out there at that time, so Delia is in the wrong.

He was clearly slamming his stick to get the goalie's attention because nothing else had worked. The coached had waived him over and he didn't go. Miller said something and it's possible other players did as well. What else do you do at that point to get him to the bench? Should they have a polite discussion after the game?

Call it what it is - Delia f***ed up.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Maybe if Miller got his finger out of his ass and did something for the first 58+ mins, he could have a point.

But he didn’t.

Miller back to his petulant ways.

That contract is an anchor.

Reactions: Zippgunn

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
How’s that? Those seem like two different things to me.
One is identifying talent - usually done by a scout.
The other is negotiating a contract - usually done by a GM or associate GM.
The team’s valuation of their players would depend in part on their scouting of the player (value, trajectory, etc.). The scouting might be done by different people but it’s the same skillset.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He was circling back and waiting for the sixth guy because they want to time their break-in correctly with everyone on the ice. It's possible/likely that the plan was to ring the puck around boards on the break-in and you want the 6th guy inside the zone to help contain the puck. We don't know. We do know that the coach wanted their 6th guy out there at that time, so Delia is in the wrong.

He was clearly slamming his stick to get the goalie's attention because nothing else had worked. The coached had waived him over and he didn't go. Miller said something and it's possible other players did as well. What else do you do at that point to get him to the bench? Should they have a polite discussion after the game?

I’ve seen many goaltenders miss the signal from the bench or be hesitant because of where the puck is etc when pulling the goaltender. I’ve NEVER seen a teammate respond in that way. Delia may have missed the signal of intent of the signal that’s a mistake. What Miller did was “in the wrong”.

I would also argue you don’t see a goaltender go to the bench when the puck is coming back into your own zone regardless of possession (unless on delayed penalty call). A coach signaling the goaltender typically means “when safe to do so..”

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

You’re still scouting professional players. Pro scouting isn’t limited to other teams.

You’re choosing this player should continue be a part of this organization going forward.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Horvat last game “we are above .500 let’s stay here”

Literally the next game….. nope.

Bo.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I’ve seen many goaltenders miss the signal from the bench or be hesitant because of where the puck is etc when pulling the goaltender. I’ve NEVER seen a teammate respond in that way. Delia may have missed the signal of intent of the signal that’s a mistake. What Miller did was “in the wrong”.

The bench called him over. Delia didn't do anything. Then they called him while on the ice and he still didn't do anything. Again, what else do you want him to do at that point? The team needed/wanted Delia on the bench and he wasn't responding. What is your alternative, just wait and hope eventually he wakes up?

I would also argue you don’t see a goaltender go to the bench when the puck is coming back into your own zone regardless of possession (unless on delayed penalty call). A coach signaling the goaltender typically means “when safe to do so..”

If Miller went rogue here and basically tried to send him off himself then of course that's a different situation and is awful by Miller. But do you think that's what happened?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Choosing to pay players the correct allotment should go hand in hand.

Would Mikheyev and Bear be good pro scouting targets if both were paid Tyler Myers money?

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, there is a reason why Tampa gave up on him, and it was the right call. The Canucks have been a prime target for other team's cast offs during the last decade.

There were strategic issues with the trade from the Canucks' perspective. However, in terms of value, the trade itself was heavily in favor of the Canucks. When they traded him, Tampa wasn't exactly anticipating that Miller would be a PPG+ player on a $5.25 million contract ending when he was 30.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Watch the replay; the Canucks tried for over a minute to exit the zone but couldn't and when Miller finally started to move Delia had been on high alert for awhile but had no chance to safely get to the bench. Also note how long it took us to lose the puck and give up an empty net goal. This team is a mess...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Watch the replay; the Canucks tried for over a minute to exit the zone but couldn't and when Miller finally started to move Delia had been on high alert for awhile but had no chance to safely get to the bench. Also note how long it took us to lose the puck and give up an empty net goal. This team is a mess...

I've watched the replay a bunch of times. It could have just been they were waiting for the 6th guy to come on the ice because whatever they had planned was best served with all 6 guys moving up ice at the same time. I don't really know.

The reaction from some of the online "media" and fans has been bizarre to me and just overly emotional. Big mean JT Miller yelled at the poor 3rd string goalie to do what he was supposed to do. Oh no!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol!....all the goalies on the various TSN and Sportsnet panels are rushing to the defense of Delia....the rule of thumb is that the goalie doesn't leave the crease for a sixth attacker until your team has possession of the puck and is advancing it past the red-line.

If Miller wants to coach this team, he should apply for Boudreau's job. But the controversy merely highlights to me how poorly the Canucks manage their line changes.

How many breakaways so they give up every night, either because a guy didn't get a puck in deep or turned over in the neutral zone? I've lost count. It's terrible, really..

Reactions: tantalum

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Delia retreated from the bench. There was no missed call, he was going off.

There were no options to pass forward, and because there was no 6th skater, none to pass back to/lateral. Aggravations ensued.

It's a nothingburger.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
1) should have capitalized on those power plays when the Jets were asleep
2) jumbling the lines for the 3rd period didn't help
3) Delia impressive, especially in the 3rd, but..............Hellebuyck was clutch
4) Kyle Connor didn't score - on a breakaway no less
5) still waiting for 99 point JT Miller to make an appearance

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I've watched the replay a bunch of times. It could have just been they were waiting for the 6th guy to come on the ice because whatever they had planned was best served with all 6 guys moving up ice at the same time. I don't really know.

The reaction from some of the online "media" and fans has been bizarre to me and just overly emotional. Big mean JT Miller yelled at the poor 3rd string goalie to do what he was supposed to do. Oh no!
You must be one of those JT Miller apologists that exist here. He is overrated garbage, a total cancer on this team. If I were Delia I would have torn a strip off of him... in the locker room of course. Certainly I hope Horvat gives him what for. We can't lose this piece of garbage fast enough...

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

I agree, if Miller had exited properly the first time Delia wouldn't have been confused. And the stick banging was well after the fact and another sign of immaturity.

But overall, yes the team is often a mess when they're up against teams with structure and size.

There were strategic issues with the trade from the Canucks' perspective. However, in terms of value, the trade itself was heavily in favor of the Canucks. When they traded him, Tampa wasn't exactly anticipating that Miller would be a PPG+ player on a $5.25 million contract ending when he was 30.

And they've now squandered what value was added by signing this one-dimensonal winger who is very average 5-on-5 to a massive long-term contract.

I think TB got rid of him because he wasn't good enough value even at $5.25 when you look at the buy-in and structure TB has won cups with. Some players don't fit on winning rosters because they don't make the sacrifices to win as a team. Because of his upside, they were able to garner a 1st which they then flipped on a much better defensive player. That's my sense of Miller with TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad