Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 4-2 (Kuzmenko, Garland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
January is about to be an ugly ugly month.
We're going to get destroyed in January. Like 1-2 wins max. And then Demko comes back in February and we make a mad dash for 9th place. Horvat Schenn Kuzmenko are all unsigned and untraded past the deadline. We miss the playoffs by 2 points and draft 17th overall. Schenn and Kuzmenko walk but we throw 8x8.5m at Horvat and he signs it. Welcome to the 20 year retool on the fly.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Delia a bit too concerned with making a mistake than going with his training and instincts. Arms reach of the bench is not the time to change your mind. He still played very well though, and deserves to alternate with Martin until a clear trend forms, if at all.

Shame though that opportunity was pooched, the bois were looking really good on the PP, and recently had a last minute tying goal.

There were a lot of clinical shifts on both ends.

If all are at their absolute best, Hughes is probably the teams best player.

Reactions: B-rock

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Delia a bit too concerned with making a mistake than going with his training and instincts. Arms reach of the bench is not the time to change your mind. He still played very well though, and deserves to alternate with Martin until a clear trend forms, if at all.

Shame though that opportunity was pooched, the bois were looking really good on the PP, and recently had a last minute tying goal.

There were a lot of clinical shifts on both ends.

If all are at their absolute best, Hughes is probably the teams best player.
I feel differently. It’s Pettersson or Demko when at their highest. Hughes is still a Baby Smurf in his own end.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Demko is still just not able to get shutouts, or kill a penalty, even in his best season.

Hughes, when he has his legs going, is Papa Smurf, and the teams true QB.
I like Hughes enough for what he brings, but I personally have serious reservations over whether he can be the ace on a a cup winner blueline.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Good breakdown of the Millier/Delia thing on the post-game show. Bench gave the wave for Delia to come off with around 1:12 on the clock and he either didn't see it or just chose not to come.

People can criticize Miller, but Delia needed to go to the bench and nothing else was working. I have no problem with what he did.

Reactions: racerjoe

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Miller was anointed by incompetent PA and Sleepy Jim. He knows nobody can hold him accountable now. He has the keys to the empire (hardly an empire). So now Miller can revert to his true self…. A lazy whiny cancer

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
if you know dermott is going to be a second pairing guy sure, a third is a great price. chances are pretty low dermott ends up a second pairing guy though. he had tons of opportunity in toronto and never showed he can do it. a third for like a 25% chance dermott matters beyond this year is terrible
I think Dermott was a good gamble. I’m hindsight you may not make that trade because of his subsequent concussion but at the time it was a good gamble. Trading a third for a young NHL defensemen that has the potential to become a top four defensemen for a third is good value.

You aren’t going to get a current top four defensemen for a third (other than perhaps an old rental), so you can either try to draft one or make a Dermott type trade.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think Dermott was a good gamble. I’m hindsight you may not make that trade because of his subsequent concussion but at the time it was a good gamble. Trading a third for a young NHL defensemen that has the potential to become a top four defensemen for a third is good value.

You aren’t going to get a current top four defensemen for a third (other than perhaps an old rental), so you can either try to draft one or make a Dermott type trade.

I agree...

To go with this, can people stop calling Stillman a pro scouting fail? He wasn't a pro scouting anything, he was a cap dump coming back for our cap dump.

Like Lukowich wasn't a gillis pro scouting fail... the coach was just smart enough to not play him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I think it's pretty questionable that Dermott had top four upside. He was 25 at the time of the trade (26 now) and was in his fifth season the league. I think you make the trade thinking you have a stable top-6 guy with some flexibility in that he can play both sides at the NHL level signed to a cheap contract. I think the value was fair.

But then it comes down to whether or not you want to keep throwing picks at guys of this level because you are losing picks and therefore losing out at the opportunity to draft an actual top-four defenseman, albeit with low odds. We've now acquired two guys in the last year (Dermott & Bear) for a 3rd & a 5th and I don't think we are going to get a top-four guy out of either. At some point you are better off just signing replacement-level players for free or just paying the price to get an actual top-four guy or whatever piece you need.

My read on Dermott: Fair price, but not a needed trade deadline add for a team going nowhere.

I agree...

To go with this, can people stop calling Stillman a pro scouting fail? He wasn't a pro scouting anything, he was a cap dump coming back for our cap dump.

Like Lukowich wasn't a gillis pro scouting fail... the coach was just smart enough to not play him.

Different situation, Lukowich was an obvious cap and salary dump who didn't play a game for the Canucks until January. He had a very large real salary for a minor-leaguer.

Stillman I think could go either way. I think his value was probably neutral or pretty close.

Reactions: mriswith

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
It’s funny how 1996 born Dermott and Kuzmenko are young but 1995 born Horvat is on the verge of the nursing home.

Its funny how a player making 1.5 mil and probably close to that moving forward can be seen differently than a player asking over 8 mil on a long term contract could be looked at in different ways.

Not to mention there is actually almost 2 years of age difference between the April born Bo and the Late December born Travis... but you know you do you.

Reactions: wonton15

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Yeah, we really did need Horvat to have a 3rd 4pt night in a row. Or maybe Miller could step up once in a while…

If you can trade JT without taking back an albatross contract in return; I hope PA does it.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think it's pretty questionable that Dermott had top four upside. He was 25 at the time of the trade (26 now) and was in his fifth season the league. I think you make the trade thinking you have a stable top-6 guy with some flexibility in that he can play both sides at the NHL level signed to a cheap contract. I think the value was fair.

But then it comes down to whether or not you want to keep throwing picks at guys of this level because you are losing picks and therefore losing out at the opportunity to draft an actual top-four defenseman, albeit with low odds. We've now acquired two guys in the last year (Dermott & Bear) for a 3rd & a 5th and I don't think we are going to get a top-four guy out of either. At some point you are better off just signing replacement-level players for free or just paying the price to get an actual top-four guy or whatever piece you need.

My read on Dermott: Fair price, but not a needed trade deadline add for a team going nowhere.

Different situation, Lukowich was an obvious cap and salary dump who didn't play a game for the Canucks until January. He had a very large real salary for a minor-leaguer.

Stillman I think could go either way. I think his value was probably neutral or pretty close.
I think it depends on what they do with Dermott and Bear right. Cap wise they are pretty damn cheap and if they can form a pair that is essentially our 2nd pair then that’s really cheap. OEL is also not

regarding the point that you might as well sign FAs instead, there aren’t that many D in FA.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think it depends on what they do with Dermott and Bear right. Cap wise they are pretty damn cheap and if they can form a pair that is essentially our 2nd pair then that’s really cheap. OEL is also not

regarding the point that you might as well sign FAs instead, there aren’t that many D in FA.

Dermott & Bear aren't top four or second-pairing guys on a good team. If they are playing those roles here then this team's defense will be awful.

I don't see why you can't find free agents to play at third pairing (Dermott/Bear) level. Burroughs and Schenn are both that, and if our former GM can find two in one off-season it can't be that difficult.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
People that say JT did nothing wrong simply do not understand the game.

First of all there is no way you turn back into your own zone with under 1 minute left.and go south when you need to be moving north

Secondly Miller is slow and not a great puck mover so retreating is not a good move. Delia was ready to come out but when Miller retreated he retreated as well.

Then the act of slamming his stick like the whiner and cancer he is while play is still on is a non team player act that goes against every code in hockey.

Miller is a pathetic a hole. If his teammates called him out on ice for his never ending brain farts , we would be seeing hm be called out every period of every game

Signing him long term was an egregious error in judgment by PA and JR

Reactions: Bgav

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Its quite unbelievable how much I don't like this collection of players.. far cry from the sedins, kesler, luo, burr era

This is what I keep coming back to, just do not care about this group outside of Pettersson and Hughes. But that's to be expected when they have just had no sustainable success and have topped out as a low-end wildcard at best.

I really question the new management group's ability to assess character/team chemistry with this Miller signing. There is a clear schism and problems in the room that have to be fixed.

Reactions: mriswith and Bgav
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad