Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 4-2 (Kuzmenko, Garland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
There were strategic issues with the trade from the Canucks' perspective. However, in terms of value, the trade itself was heavily in favor of the Canucks. When they traded him, Tampa wasn't exactly anticipating that Miller would be a PPG+ player on a $5.25 million contract ending when he was 30.
Tbh, since we apparently couldn't trade him for Schneider last year I think we lost the trade. Plus our '21 pick probably bumps into range of Clarke if he's not around.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You must be one of those JT Miller apologists that exist here. He is overrated garbage, a total cancer on this team. If I were Delia I would have torn a strip off of him... in the locker room of course. Certainly I hope Horvat gives him what for. We can't lose this piece of garbage fast enough...

Actually I'm not, I would have punted Miller a year ago. I don't think he's a good fit a on a bad team with nobody to keep him accountable. It was an awful re-signing and said as much as at the time.

But the difference is I can still assess the situation last night without being emotional about it. I would have been pissed if I was Miller as well if the team is trying to score a goal and there is an issue between the bench and the goalie getting in the way of it.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Actually I'm not, I would have punted Miller a year ago. I don't think he's a good fit a on a bad team with nobody to keep him accountable. It was an awful re-signing and said as much as at the time.

But the difference is I can still assess the situation last night without being emotional about it. I would have been pissed if I was Miller as well if the team is trying to score a goal and there is an issue between the bench and the goalie getting in the way of it.
Fine, be pissed. Just don't freak out like a baby on national television on your 3rd string goalie who's playing his 3rd game of the year and has bailed your sorry -1 ass out all game, especially after the team has bobbled the puck around in their own zone for the previous minute. His schtick has gotten very stale.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Fine, be pissed. Just don't freak out like a baby on national television on your 3rd string goalie who's playing his 3rd game of the year and has bailed your sorry -1 ass out all game, especially after the team has bobbled the puck around in their own zone for the previous minute. His schtick has gotten very stale.

I don't disagree with your thoughts in general on Miller.

But speaking purely on this play, the goaltender needed to get out of the net and he wasn't doing it despite repeated attempts to get him to go there. You can either do nothing and maybe it works out.. or do something about it. He did something about it, and to me good on him.

Reactions: AD16

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
One of the local bloggers did a deeper dive into this situation and Delia had lots of chances to go to the bench, and never did. It is understandable the on ice players were frustrated. I think the blogger found 5 chances they said. They pointed them all out in a series of tweets.

Reactions: AD16

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Dermott & Bear aren't top four or second-pairing guys on a good team. If they are playing those roles here then this team's defense will be awful.

I don't see why you can't find free agents to play at third pairing (Dermott/Bear) level. Burroughs and Schenn are both that, and if our former GM can find two in one off-season it can't be that difficult.
Well I did say IF they end up playing like a 2nd paring.

I would argue that Bear and Dermott are better than your typical 3rd paring. They are both 4-5 that can moge the puck pretty well. Those guys aren’t cheap in FA. And if you just grab some cheap 3rd paring guys from FA, odds are they have significant flaws and probably can’t skate or suck at moving the puck.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You must be one of those JT Miller apologists that exist here. He is overrated garbage, a total cancer on this team. If I were Delia I would have torn a strip off of him... in the locker room of course. Certainly I hope Horvat gives him what for. We can't lose this piece of garbage fast enough...
I get you don’t like Miller..but there’s zero evidence of him being a locker room cancer..

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Well I did say IF they end up playing like a 2nd paring.

I would argue that Bear and Dermott are better than your typical 3rd paring. They are both 4-5 that can moge the puck pretty well. Those guys aren’t cheap in FA. And if you just grab some cheap 3rd paring guys from FA, odds are they have significant flaws and probably can’t skate or suck at moving the puck.

I'm not as high on Bear as most people are, he's not someone I would move forward with. If you can sign him as a 6/7 for a million bucks then fine, but I want more guys who can play well in their own zone and that's not him.

Looking forward to seeing Dermott over the next couple of months. Definitely not ready to pencil him in as a top 4/5 guy as of now, but we'll see.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
One of the local bloggers did a deeper dive into this situation and Delia had lots of chances to go to the bench, and never did. It is understandable the on ice players were frustrated. I think the blogger found 5 chances they said. They pointed them all out in a series of tweets.
Only one on ice player was visibly frustrated. I kept wondering that if this sort of thing would have happened with, say, Demko how quickly most here would rush to his defense. But it looks like Delia is this year's cannon fodder/scapegoat goalie. Oh well at least it pays...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Only one on ice player was visibly frustrated. I kept wondering that if this sort of thing would have happened with, say, Demko how quickly most here would rush to his defense. But it looks like Delia is this year's cannon fodder/scapegoat goalie. Oh well at least it pays...

What are you talking about? The overwhelming amount of people online and on this board have a) defended Delia in this particular situation and b) have spoken very highly about how Delia has played so far this year.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Wonder how many of these "chances" occurred with the puck on his side of center...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm betting Luke Schenn would disagree...
Based on a disagreement during a game..?…They’re big boys,and professionals..and beyond sulking and holding grudges.

You take the good and the bad with Miller (yes he can be frustrating)..but a locker room cancer he is not..

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm not as high on Bear as most people are, he's not someone I would move forward with. If you can sign him as a 6/7 for a million bucks then fine, but I want more guys who can play well in their own zone and that's not him.

Looking forward to seeing Dermott over the next couple of months. Definitely not ready to pencil him in as a top 4/5 guy as of now, but we'll see.
I think the eventual goal is to have an actual defensive system and have everyone be good at transitioning the puck out of our zone. Having guys like Burroughs is not as useful because the whole point is to not get stuck in our zone.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
What are you talking about? The overwhelming amount of people online and on this board have a) defended Delia in this particular situation and b) have spoken very highly about how Delia has played so far this year.
The boards HAVE been kind but the team has been reluctant to use him, at least so far...

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the eventual goal is to have an actual defensive system and have everyone be good at transitioning the puck out of our zone. Having guys like Burroughs is not as useful because the whole point is to not get stuck in our zone.

Bear gets stuck in his zone all the time as well. His defensive decision-making is poor and isn't strong on the puck or positionally. I like what he brings offensively, though.

Bear/Burroughs as the 6 & 7 is fine. Wouldn't want them any higher than that and that's the roles I would pay them for.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bear gets stuck in his zone all the time as well. His defensive decision-making is poor and isn't strong on the puck or positionally. I like what he brings offensively, though.

Bear/Burroughs as the 6 & 7 is fine. Wouldn't want them any higher than that and that's the roles I would pay them for.
Bear had a lousy game last night..and recently he’s been wildly inconsistent..getting a well earned night off in the press box a few games back.

Dermott doesn’t look like the answer either.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

i think the defensive side of things will look better when we hire a coach that can implement a better system. I think at that point, we would need d that can join the attack more than we need guys who are solid defensively but crap in the offensive zone.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Has anyone asked Bruce about it? Were any of the coaches signaling for Delia to go to the bench?

Reactions: Zippgunn

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Has anyone asked Bruce about it? Were any of the coaches signaling for Delia to go to the bench?

Bruce takes accountability, told him to come, then to stay, Delia was watching him the whole time, while Miller was just wanting to get the extra man on and start the rush.

Reactions: Zippgunn and m9

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Based on a disagreement during a game..?…They’re big boys,and professionals..and beyond sulking and holding grudges.

You take the good and the bad with Miller (yes he can be frustrating)..but a locker room cancer he is not..
Would you mind telling us about how you know whether he is a cancer in the room or not?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The thing you have to love about Miller is his passion.....He just hates losing, and sometimes the results on the ice get the better of him. But would you rather have it the other way around?....a guy who just signed an $8m contract and knows he's going to get paid whether the team wins or loses?

Give me a player who 'cares' every time. I really think the coaches and his fellow teammates understand the type of guy he is, and probably wouldn't change a thing.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Miller's Thoughts

Basically, says he doesn't care what the media thinks, only cares about what his teammates and coaches think. Didn't know it was a big deal until talking to the media.

He's 100% right to me. Glad he answers these things honestly instead of giving some soft answers to keep people happy.

One thing I will walk back a bit is that I think at some point I went from it being a miscommunication between Delia/Boudreau to blaming it on Delia. And even though I think Bruce is protecting his guys a bit here with his answer above, I do think it was more of a miscommunication than all on Delia.

As an aside, Lachlan Irvine from CanucksArmy does a great job in getting clips up quickly but I'm not a fan of his commentary. Called Miller's actions "a scratchable offense" and went a bit crazy about the whole thing. Seems like the type to be offended easily and not someone I'll be going to for Canucks content.

Reactions: racerjoe and Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad