Post-Game Talk: Jets cream Philly 7-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
pecking order.
i see little reason (other than, possibly, positionally) that Shaw would supplant Petan on the depth chart
Petan has been with the Jets longer, but Shaw does have more NHL experience with 180 NHL games under his belt. Similarly to Petan neither has ever really produced much offensively at the NHL level. Shaw is big man and much more physical and has PK'd. He was in the same draft class as Scheifele and Lowry so is not over the hill. If he does come up I'm guessing he gets a few practices in, but then becomes a threat for a roster spot depending on his play.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ehlers is the most improved forward this year. Now that he can drive the play the Jets forward depth is something to behold. Ehlers used to be like Laine is now. He learned how to play a possession game in the NHL, and I think with Laine's natural size he can do so as well.

The Flyers are always afflicted with bad goaltending. Really do feel sorry for them. It's not a bad team but you need saves to compete.

I can "partially agree" with this post, in that Ehlers is the most improved forward for the Jets. Where I don't agree with this, -- is-- I still think he needs to be sheltered, to give him the confidence to drive a line. He's the type of guy that plays more freely and with confidence, if he knows that Wheeler and Scheif are on his line, and he doesn't have the burden on his shoulders, to drive the line all by himself.

I 100 % believe he would go into a direct tailspin, if he was put back on the 2nd line, and told he was to drive that line by himself. He's not there yet, but after another year, I believe he may be ready for that role. I say -- leave him where he is right now--he's starting to look like the "old" Nik Ehlers, and is flying out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard Chuck

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
and here's PoMo's Schrodinger's Cat: when will he give Helle the night off?
I'm guess this Thursday or Friday in the B2B. Despite Helly starting the season slow and people calling for Brossoit the ratio of games played between the 2 has remained pretty consistent at a 4 - 1 ratio. It looks to me for the most part it has been mapped out to give Helly a certain workload.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I wonder if they give Brossoit the Oilers and Helly the two Hawks games. Usually PoMo has given the backup the second game of the back to backs.

Reactions: GNP

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I wonder if they give Brossoit the Oilers and Helly the two Hawks games. Usually PoMo has given the backup the second game of the back to backs.
there has not been many b2b this year but I can think of 2 sets of b2b that Maurice gave hellebuyck the 2nd game.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
@DharmaBum

What commercial is this from?

v9D0fM9.gif

Myers with the smooch.

This is one of the funniest things ever.

Reactions: GNP

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't even want to look back at what was said during the 1st period. I'm sure the sky had truly fallen.
I was upset that I was missing the first period because I had to run some errands, but it seems it worked out perfectly!

BTW, my enjoyment of games is inversely proportional to the amount of time I check anything online during the game, including GDTs here :)

Reactions: Cellee

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'm not going to complain about anything after a 7-1 win. I could pick nits. but I won't.

I thought all the talk of the great Flyers forecheck in the 1st was pretty funny, considering the Jets are way better at it, which they showed in spades as the game wore on.

The way the Jets controlled the middle of the ice, gapped up in transition and against the counter, is what makes them so hard to play against. When they are at their best doing those things, I never get the sense they will lose.

God it must be hard to be a Flyers fan these days, their reputation is in tatters. Mercied by the opposing coach with 15 minutes to play......embarrassing.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just another solid all around game AGAIN by Little , maybe his grade might go up to a C+ . :sarcasm:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Also 2 thumbs up for Buff going after that blower that hit Connor from behind , man when Buff gets angry look out . Love how Buff protects our guys but is also a really good hockey player , not just a goon .

I loved it when some salty Caps fan wandered into our thread one day and suggested -- with a straight face, apparently! -- that "unlike Buff, Tom Wilson actually makes hockey plays as well". Of course, Wilson has been suspended four times since then, thrice in the preseason I might add. But yeah, the dude was on the right track, his train was just running backwards. Buff actually makes some damn great hockey plays, and only goes into smash mode when the situation warrants.

Reactions: Jets 31

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't think it's all that shocking that there's more angst in our board than in the boards of teams that suck. I mean I'm pretty sure a few years back we adopted that fatalistic "time for the tank" attitude by a certain point every season. After that, it's just about making jokes and watching the shit show.

We now have a team that is actually, seriously good. It's certainly the best Winnipeg Jets team ever iced post WHL at least. We are in our window. If we don't get a SC in the next 4 or 5 years we're going to be on the outside looking in again. So, for folks inclined to get angsty any sign of trouble is going to trigger them. Otoh, people like myself - those who are pretty comfortable with the team and know we're likely to be in contention for the cup at the end of the RS - we aren't posting as much in general. So you end up with the complainers taking a bigger share of the posting pie here...

Reactions: Jack722

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I loved it when some salty Caps fan wandered into our thread one day and suggested -- with a straight face, apparently! -- that "unlike Buff, Tom Wilson actually makes hockey plays as well". Of course, Wilson has been suspended four times since then, thrice in the preseason I might add. But yeah, the dude was on the right track, his train was just running backwards. Buff actually makes some damn great hockey plays, and only goes into smash mode when the situation warrants.
Just read a couple of posts on Toronto's board pointing out how the Jets responded to the Connor hit , you know the Jets did something good if Leafs fans point it out . :laugh:

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
I loved yesterdays game for a few reasons
1 - My boss is a Flyers fan so now I can chirp
2 - Balanced scoring, 7 goals from 7 different guys.
3 - Nobody hesitated to jump on Hagg after the hit on Connor. I think Schief was closest to the play and Buff came in to after but Ive always thought its a very good thing when your "star" players dont hesitate to jump in a scrum for a teammate (Not necessarily fight). Also liked that we didnt lose our heads and take a bunch of stupid retaliatory penalties after.
4 - Helle looked great.
5 - Wheeler actually seemed to be looking to shoot a bit. Its not really a knock when he can set guys up like he can but I feel like D men/goalies sag off him because they know he is going to pass. He needs to shoot a bit to keep them honest. Plus the speed on that shorty..... Old guy still has it.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I don't think it's all that shocking that there's more angst in our board than in the boards of teams that suck. I mean I'm pretty sure a few years back we adopted that fatalistic "time for the tank" attitude by a certain point every season. After that, it's just about making jokes and watching the **** show.

We now have a team that is actually, seriously good. It's certainly the best Winnipeg Jets team ever iced post WHL at least. We are in our window. If we don't get a SC in the next 4 or 5 years we're going to be on the outside looking in again. So, for folks inclined to get angsty any sign of trouble is going to trigger them. Otoh, people like myself - those who are pretty comfortable with the team and know we're likely to be in contention for the cup at the end of the RS - we aren't posting as much in general. So you end up with the complainers taking a bigger share of the posting pie here...

I have no problem with people being pessimistic and no problem with people being concerned about areas that need improvement even during periods of prosperity. I love folks with a good critical eye and as someone who never played the game, it gives me more insight on things to look for.

But look at GDTs where we come back from a big deficit to win (such as against the Rangers most recently), and suddenly the dozen-odd post tirades of of "this team is an embarrassment", "Hellebuyck / Laine / Little / Whipping Boy Of The Moment X should be in the AHL", "this team deserves to lose" &c &c, they will not only dry up, they won't be followed with anything even REMOTELY resembling excitement at a great stroke of good luck. In fact, they often won't be followed by anything at all, in the GDT or even in the subsequent PGT. Because for those who actively want the team to lose solely so they can shit all over people's Corn Flakes, such an event was not a stroke of good luck, but an unmitigated disaster.

It's not a hard pattern to detect, like, AT ALL.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I have no problem with people being pessimistic and no problem with people being concerned about areas that need improvement even during periods of prosperity. I love folks with a good critical eye and as someone who never played the game, it gives me more insight on things to look for.

But look at GDTs where we come back from a big deficit to win (such as against the Rangers most recently), and suddenly the dozen-odd post tirades of of "this team is an embarrassment", "Hellebuyck / Laine / Little / Whipping Boy Of The Moment X should be in the AHL", "this team deserves to lose" &c &c, they will not only dry up, they won't be followed with anything even REMOTELY resembling excitement at a great stroke of good luck. In fact, they often won't be followed by anything at all, in the GDT or even in the subsequent PGT. Because for those who actively want the team to lose solely so they can **** all over people's Corn Flakes, such an event was not a stroke of good luck, but an unmitigated disaster.

Go check out the Maurice thread post Blues game vs post Flyers game, the contrast couldn't be more stark. :laugh:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
So the Jets pushed back and didn't take any **** yesterday, and Lemmy wasn't needed or on the ice when they did. Not a shot intended at Lemieux, but this team is plenty tough without him, they aren't getting pushed around regardless.
I'm starting to get the impression that Lemieux is becoming a coaches pet. I don't see him going anywhere now, especially after these last couple games. I thought he was very good.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

But look at GDTs where we come back from a big deficit to win (such as against the Rangers most recently), and suddenly the dozen-odd post tirades of of "this team is an embarrassment", "Hellebuyck / Laine / Little / Whipping Boy Of The Moment X should be in the AHL", "this team deserves to lose" &c &c, they will not only dry up, they won't be followed with anything even REMOTELY resembling excitement at a great stroke of good luck. In fact, they often won't be followed by anything at all, in the GDT or even in the subsequent PGT. Because for those who actively want the team to lose solely so they can **** all over people's Corn Flakes, such an event was not a stroke of good luck, but an unmitigated disaster.

of course. But I'm pretty sure in general, the amount of posting in the Jets forum is seriously down from previous seasons. I think a lot of us are posting less than past seasons because there just isn't as much to debate now. The GDT and PGT's aren't nearly as long as they have been in the past. So what's left is the people who really just take pleasure in kvetching...they seem louder now.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
of course. But I'm pretty sure in general, the amount of posting in the Jets forum is seriously down from previous seasons. I think a lot of us are posting less than past seasons because there just isn't as much to debate now. The GDT and PGT's aren't nearly as long as they have been in the past. So what's left is the people who really just take pleasure in kvetching...they seem louder now.

All the more reason why I take my position as random pop culture / song you've likely never heard of / rambling narrative infuser very seriously in GDTs. ;)

Plus, God help me, we may actually be posting less because we might be more captivated by the game, and less by our phones / desktops, when the team is playing as well as they are :)

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I'm starting to get the impression that Lemieux is becoming a coaches pet. I don't see him going anywhere now, especially after these last couple games. I thought he was very good.
He wasn't bad , but very good? At what? The same might apply to players like Petan and Dano but what did Lemmy do that either of those guys haven't or can't? I just don't get the love.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
All the more reason why I take my position as random pop culture / song you've likely never heard of / rambling narrative infuser very seriously in GDTs. ;)

Plus, God help me, we may actually be posting less because we might be more captivated by the game, and less by our phones / desktops, when the team is playing as well as they are :)

yeah for sure. Those of us who aren't just interested in stirring the pot on the forum are actually just enjoying the fun of having a good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad