Post-Game Talk: Jets cream Philly 7-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
What is confusing about keeping a winning lineup together? Seems stupid obvious to me

When they're winning like this, sure. If the team was falling behind bigly after two and cheesing out 3rd period miracles again and again, I'd like to see changes rather than rely on pressing one's luck to the breaking point.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Not sure why you're quoting me. Lemieux is more effective that Petan, and has outplayed him in most cases at a younger age. He brings a physical element that Petan doesn't either, was the only point.

I haven't seen him be more effective then Petan (granted I didn't watch much of either of them on the Moose).
Petan dominated the WHL and the WJHC. When played with top players (Wheeler) Petan has looked great.
I don't see Lemieux being able to do the same thing. (in that situation)
There not even close to the same type of player so comparing them is apples to oranges.

Neither is likely to ever be able to drive play but hopefully both of them develop into useful NHL players.

The main stain on Lemieux is his penchant and history of doing dumb stuff that can cost his team.
As he did in Finland.
I don't feel like he sat as long as he could have after that display.

Either way were not likely to stay so healthy that there won't be other times when we need forwards.
Maurice is likely to stick with Lemieux until Copp comes back.
Especially if Perreault is missing games.

I do agree that Appleton is currently is ahead of all of these guys (Lemieux, Petan, Shaw, Dano and anyone else on the Moose).

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Serious injuries are much likely when teams take liberties during the play than in a scrum afterwards. And the players on the ice have to look out for each other, rather than sending out an enforcer who spends 90% of the game on the bench, then takes a stupid penalty after the fact. There is very little time when there is not a >6'2 >200lb Jet on the ice, ready and willing to stand up for the 'brotherhood', as Scheifele described them.
I've not seen the Jets look weak or timid all season, with or without Lemieux. Ironically, his best chance of sticking is to play hard but never get involved in the rough stuff afterwards. I've actually taken notice that he has drawn a penalty or two lately, which is a pleasant surprise. But the bottom line is that he is of no added value relative to a dozen other replacement 4th liners, whereas Petan is actually skilled, improves the metrics of his linemates and has special teams potential. Same with Appleton.
oh man. the petan is skilled red herring. this isn't Portland nor is it 2015. he adds zero skill to a nhl team. and other then that he offers absolutely nothing. one would think the player with 32 goals is more skilled then the player with 15 their last year of junior.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Why would you want Lemieux on the ice that much? Better to neuter the 4th for 7 minutes than the 3rd for 14 minutes.

Apples gives the 3rd line a better chance at offense.

When did Appleton become a 3rd line player? Do people forget Petan out performed Appleton on the same team last year? I really dont understand wtf this org is doing to Petan. Hr plays well gets taken out of the lineup, a player he's out played gets moved up a line, having contributed nothing. Why?

Reactions: Jack722 and surixon

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Why would you want Lemieux on the ice that much? Better to neuter the 4th for 7 minutes than the 3rd for 14 minutes.

Apples gives the 3rd line a better chance at offense.
In that case move Rosie up play Petan at center with Apple and Lemieux. Play only 3 lines.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
When did Appleton become a 3rd line player? Do people forget Petan out performed Appleton on the same team last year? I really dont understand wtf this org is doing to Petan. Hr plays well gets taken out of the lineup, a player he's out played gets moved up a line, having contributed nothing. Why?

Paul is clearly not a fan. I thought Nic looked good this season and was playing fast but what do I know I guess? Either way I am growing tired of hearing myself talk about Lemmy.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Fair point, my comment was in comparison to Lemieux. I don't get the Petan thing either, I'm tired of trying to figure it out.

Reactions: surixon

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I was upset that I was missing the first period because I had to run some errands, but it seems it worked out perfectly!

BTW, my enjoyment of games is inversely proportional to the amount of time I check anything online during the game, including GDTs here :)

It honestly feels like most people here hate the Jets during the GDT.

The post game thread is always more enjoyable

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like Petan, but I'm not sure there's good evidence that Petan out-performed Appleton at the AHL level, when you consider age.

Age 21

Appleton: 76 games, 22 goals, 44 assists (0.87 pts/game)
Petan: 9 games, 4 goals, 1 assist

Age 22

Appleton: 19 games, 8 goals, 10 assists
Petan: 52 games, 15 goals, 37 assists

21/22 totals:

Appleton: 0.32 goals / game, 0.88 points/game
Petan: 0.31 goals / game, 0.93 points/game

Still, I think the Jets need to find a way to give Petan more ice-time. Lemieux is the very obvious choice for replacement in the line-up.

Reactions: ps241 and surixon

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Appleton fits the checking line better then Petan and is better then Lemieux so it makes some sense.
Unfortunately Lemieux-Roslovic-Petan likely won't do as well as we would like.

Replace Lemieux with Appleton or Perreault and I like that a lot better.
Looks like they will both likely be in the lineup on Tuesday.
A Petan to Lemieux goal would be a big 'ol Troll on all of this chatter.

I'd take it.

Reactions: ps241

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Apple put up 2 points in two games and is more solid on forecheck. Petan 5 games in line up zero points.
The points do nothing for me and the rest is subjective. Appleton has a bit more speed on the forecheck, doesn't mean he's better at it, Tanev has taken 3 years to be an effective forechecker. Petan created a number of turnovers, had good reads and took good routes when I watched him play.

It's not a hill to die on, which I've said before, but so many comments are based on so little and encompass even less.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The points do nothing for me and the rest is subjective. Appleton has a bit more speed on the forecheck, doesn't mean he's better at it, Tanev has taken 3 years to be an effective forechecker. Petan created a number of turnovers, had good reads and took good routes when I watched him play.

It's not a hill to die on, which I've said before, but so many comments are based on so little and encompass even less.
Not sure what that means that's the points do nothing for you. So what does get you excited in a player fancy stats?
Appleton has a bit more speed and size. He has not lost anything offensuvely vs Petan. I agree it's not a hill to die on who can care that much about a 4th line player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->