Post-Game Talk: Jets cream Philly 7-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He wasn't bad , but very good? At what? The same might apply to players like Petan and Dano but what did Lemmy do that either of those guys haven't or can't? I just don't get the love.
the more games you play trying to break into the nhl is not a positive. its the opposite. if you are at over 100+ games and not yet a starter you will likely never be one. Lemieux has a long way to go before then and already seems to be better if you compare petan to him at 25 games played.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
the more games you play trying to break into the nhl is not a positive. its the opposite. if you are at over 100+ games and not yet a starter you will likely never be one. Lemieux has a long way to go before then and already seems to be better if you compare petan to him at 25 games played.

This would be a pretty amazing chart to see, actually; probability of being an NHL regular (given certain arbitrary but reasonable standards) as a function of how many games you've played as a non-regular. I suspect you're right that 100+ would be a very slim prospect, no pun intended.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
In what way?

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

Listening to garret, I think the correct position is to look at age. If a player isn't compatible to the NHL in the 23-24yo age-range, you can say your goodbyes. If they are still developing due to young age, there is always a chance that they get better due to physical maturity (and experience, but experience only plays a very small part, [as long as they are playing hockey obviously]).

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'm not going to complain about anything after a 7-1 win. I could pick nits. but I won't.

I thought all the talk of the great Flyers forecheck in the 1st was pretty funny, considering the Jets are way better at it, which they showed in spades as the game wore on.

The way the Jets controlled the middle of the ice, gapped up in transition and against the counter, is what makes them so hard to play against. When they are at their best doing those things, I never get the sense they will lose.

God it must be hard to be a Flyers fan these days, their reputation is in tatters. Mercied by the opposing coach with 15 minutes to play......embarrassing.
The jets downfall will be the strength of the weakest players. the risk might not be huge, but its there. I have to see any reason why Appleton & Lemieux are playing over Petan & Dano or Morrow over Niku. I'm also not sure why this team is coached like its a 1 line team. Scheifele over 25 minutes? that i quite ridiculous with the players we have available.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
So the Jets pushed back and didn't take any **** yesterday, and Lemmy wasn't needed or on the ice when they did. Not a shot intended at Lemieux, but this team is plenty tough without him, they aren't getting pushed around regardless.
Totally disagree. First, I do love how Schief jumped in, and he has in the past, to protect a teammate. And it is great Buff was on the ice, in case things got out of hand. But, if you watch, Schief falls after engaging Hagg, who then punches Mark pretty hard when he's on his back. The fact that our #1C could get hurt in a dumb situation sucks, and Buff just got back from a concussion. The fact is, I'd rather have a 4th liner go out and risk hurting their hands then one of our best. On top of that, over the last couple of years, we have become smaller, and easier to push around. Weise smoked MP, and not a peep. After Buff, Lemieux (when he plays) Lowery and maybe Chariot, we are very small and not really capable of the rough stuff. It was brutal watching yesterday worrying who else was going to get hurt if the game got out of control.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
The jets downfall will be the strength of the weakest players. the risk might not be huge, but its there. I have to see any reason why Appleton & Lemieux are playing over Petan & Dano or Morrow over Niku. I'm also not sure why this team is coached like its a 1 line team. Scheifele over 25 minutes? that i quite ridiculous with the players we have available.
Ya, Pomo, and Huddy, like to overplay certain players for sure. Buff used to be so overplayed it was terrible. You burn out eventually. Petan has played some okay minutes this year, but he looks too slow and brings nothing physically to the table. Appleton looks faster, better reads and is much bigger.

Reactions: The Big M

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Ya, Pomo, and Huddy, like to overplay certain players for sure. Buff used to be so overplayed it was terrible. You burn out eventually. Petan has played some okay minutes this year, but he looks too slow and brings nothing physically to the table. Appleton looks faster, better reads and is much bigger.
Petan has outperformed these guys at every level. if Petan was 2 inches taller he'd be playing everything else being equal. Odd how worse results but bigger is better than better results but smaller. I blame Karl Rove and Newt Gingrich

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Petan has outperformed these guys at every level. if Petan was 2 inches taller he'd be playing everything else being equal. Odd how worse results but bigger is better than better results but smaller. I blame Karl Rove and Newt Gingrich
No, Lemieux had 19 goals in 51 games on the Moose, last year: Petan had 14 in 52 games on the Moose. And Lemieux brought a lot more to the table, despite being younger too. Plus Petan has seen way more opportunity at the NHL level, played with better players, and had PP time briefly. He's had every opportunity. Not saying Lemieux is great, but Petan is small, slow and not super effective at any pro level.

Small is fine if you bring other elements. Kyle Wellwood was tiny, but he's twice the player Petan is. Dominated in faceoffs, extremely high shootout percentage and was .48 pts/gm at the NHL level. Wellwood had a 1.09 pts/gm at the AHL level to give you an idea of a comparable would be, for a player of similar size. Petan is a good AHL player at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Big M

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
No, Lemieux had 19 goals in 51 games on the Moose, last year: Petan had 14 in 52 games on the Moose. And Lemieux brought a lot more to the table, despite being younger too. Plus Petan has seen way more opportunity at the NHL level, played with better players, and had PP time briefly. He's had every opportunity. Not saying Lemieux is great, but Petan is small, slow and not super effective at any pro level.
Also it's interesting saying that Petan has outperformed Apple at every level. Maybe every level other than the NHL. Also the post that you are bringing up suggested Dano and Petan over Apple and Lemieux. Any time you bring up Dano imo it only weakens your argument.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Also it's interesting saying that Petan has outperformed Apple at every level. Maybe every level other than the NHL. Also the post that you are bringing up suggested Dano and Petan over Apple and Lemieux. Any time you bring up Dano imo it only weakens your argument.
Not sure why you're quoting me. Lemieux is more effective that Petan, and has outplayed him in most cases at a younger age. He brings a physical element that Petan doesn't either, was the only point.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Agree, over usage concerns me and other than Roslo nodody on the 4th line has been given enough time to show they can ultimately contribute, it's been mix and match looking for short term results, which isn't accomplishing anything really. Why Petan-Roslo-Appleton hasn't been tried is confusing. I don't think Morrow sees any more time with Kuli healthy, but he shouldn't even when he's hurt.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Totally disagree. First, I do love how Schief jumped in, and he has in the past, to protect a teammate. And it is great Buff was on the ice, in case things got out of hand. But, if you watch, Schief falls after engaging Hagg, who then punches Mark pretty hard when he's on his back. The fact that our #1C could get hurt in a dumb situation sucks, and Buff just got back from a concussion. The fact is, I'd rather have a 4th liner go out and risk hurting their hands then one of our best. On top of that, over the last couple of years, we have become smaller, and easier to push around. Weise smoked MP, and not a peep. After Buff, Lemieux (when he plays) Lowery and maybe Chariot, we are very small and not really capable of the rough stuff. It was brutal watching yesterday worrying who else was going to get hurt if the game got out of control.
Lowry stepped in when Perreault got smoked, nothing much came of it but it didn't go unnoticed. Facts are, your regular players are going to have to defend themselves at times, plugs like Lemieux aren't going to be around or on the ice when the games matter. Nobody is saying Scheif should be going out breaking his hand on people, but Lemieux is no deterrent from guys going after him, that notion is antiquated.

Not capable of the rough stuff? Disagree, the Jets don't get pushed around.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
But our 4th line was not on the ice when Connor got hit , Scheif was on the ice , as was Buff . I don't want either of them getting hurt but after a dirty hit like that a close nit team will react on the spot , not wait until they can get the 4 line on the ice .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Physical deterrents don't work anymore. Lemieux doesn't scare anybody and he's never on the ice to do anything anyways. The best deterrent is to pump 3 goals by them on the PP when they are shorthanded for gooning it up. The other team wants you tonretaliaye and get off your game when they so it so don't give them what they want.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

It's frankly insane that the only other call at the time of the Hagg hit was roughing for Byfuglien. Byfuglien only went in after Hagg was already punching Scheifele. Scheifele and Hagg with offsetting roughing, and Byfuglien and Gudas with offsetting roughing. It's not difficult, you f***ing clowns.

These f***ing referees in this league have a really hard time trying to deal with a good team that plays big. After last year's brief reprieve, the officials once again have blinders for the Jets.

I wonder which GM/Governor spent all summer whining to the league about the team? Fletcher? Poile?

(Someone clearly put together a package about Scheifele's face-offs, too.)

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Yup said he was going to the game, I'm sure he enjoyed himself :cool::DD

Wonder if he was the Flyers fan that took off the jersey and threw it on the ice in the third....Right after either the 6th or 7th goal. Not sure if it was shown on TV - but was at my first game of the year and it happened one section over....was pretty amusing. More interesting was that it was a Philly player that went over and picked it up rather than a ref or linesman. (I think it was Kopekny).

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Serious injuries are much likely when teams take liberties during the play than in a scrum afterwards. And the players on the ice have to look out for each other, rather than sending out an enforcer who spends 90% of the game on the bench, then takes a stupid penalty after the fact. There is very little time when there is not a >6'2 >200lb Jet on the ice, ready and willing to stand up for the 'brotherhood', as Scheifele described them.
I've not seen the Jets look weak or timid all season, with or without Lemieux. Ironically, his best chance of sticking is to play hard but never get involved in the rough stuff afterwards. I've actually taken notice that he has drawn a penalty or two lately, which is a pleasant surprise. But the bottom line is that he is of no added value relative to a dozen other replacement 4th liners, whereas Petan is actually skilled, improves the metrics of his linemates and has special teams potential. Same with Appleton.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
3 - Nobody hesitated to jump on Hagg after the hit on Connor. I think Schief was closest to the play and Buff came in to after but Ive always thought its a very good thing when your "star" players dont hesitate to jump in a scrum for a teammate (Not necessarily fight). Also liked that we didnt lose our heads and take a bunch of stupid retaliatory penalties after.
\
correction.
Laine didn't get in there.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Wonder if he was the Flyers fan that took off the jersey and threw it on the ice in the third....Right after either the 6th or 7th goal. Not sure if it was shown on TV - but was at my first game of the year and it happened one section over....was pretty amusing. More interesting was that it was a Philly player that went over and picked it up rather than a ref or linesman. (I think it was Kopekny).
Not shown on TV but here's a tweet w/ pic about it...

Reactions: Cypruss

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm guess this Thursday or Friday in the B2B. Despite Helly starting the season slow and people calling for Brossoit the ratio of games played between the 2 has remained pretty consistent at a 4 - 1 ratio. It looks to me for the most part it has been mapped out to give Helly a certain workload.
5:1 ratio. Hellebuyck's getting 80% of the starts...on pace for 66. He had 64 starts last season.

Reactions: HannuJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad