Speculation: Jets At The World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What makes great hockey great? Playing for something that means something, or dumping a bunch of players into an exhibition meant to sell TV rights and line pockets in the near term?

I guess if you prefer the All Star game to the Stanley Cup Finals then have at 'er.

Wow, I love those all.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Having a "Rest Of Europe" and "Under-23" team cheapens my enjoyment of an international best on best tournament, something that I have fond memories of dating back to World Cup '96.

The Team Europe idea makes no sense. Wouldn't the NHL want to showcase the considerable progress that nations like Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Slovenia, etc. have made in producing world-class talent? I would've greatly enjoyed an expanded World Cup field, and any concerns about competitive balance could've been addressed with qualifying games.

Team "Young Guns" makes even less sense. I get that the NHL wants to showcase young talent, but why not just have a rule that requires you include a minimum number of players born in 1993 and later?

It'll be great hockey, but it's a bunk format IMO. Sorry, you're not going to convince me otherwise.

I loved the old World Cup of Hockey. The new format doesn't change that fact for me.

I just like to stay open minded about format. Every tournament doesn't have to be the same to be good, acceptable, or mean something.

I can think of many changes in sport, both rules and format that were harshly criticized when they were unveiled that are now cherished.

I think of Big Brother (bear with me). Lovers of the game have hated every change that has been made to format and then end up adopting them like they are vital parts that were always there.

I like that they are trying to add interest by switching up the format. There's lots of hockey that has traditional playoff or round robin formats, with traditional methods for forming teams.

Some of this stuff might end up stinking. I hope they do a good job of identifying what worked and what didn't and make more changes for the next time.

You know, evolution. :)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Jersey's for the World's. Third top row is Team Europe and Black one is Under 23

cut.jpg

Canada - very nice. I like the leaf and the leaves on the arms.
Team Europe is cool too. I'm a fan of simple iconic logos.
The others are ok...except for the North American one. Looks like some kind of satanic cult logo.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So if Trouba is not selected, does that impact his contract in any way?

Three of the following will make it, not sure he makes the final 7

Hamilton
Parayko
Hanafin
Trouba
Ceci
Gostisbehere

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Jersey's for the World's. Third top row is Team Europe and Black one is Under 23

cut.jpg

I think all the jerseys are excellent, especially Canada. One curious thing is the Finn C on the right side. They must have some reservations about the coat of arms? You see it on the left side of many finnish jerseys.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
I think all the jerseys are excellent, especially Canada. One curious thing is the Finn C on the right side. They must have some reservations about the coat of arms? You see it on the left side of many finnish jerseys.

Team logos etc. always on your heart, if they're not printed bigger (like most of those teams have).

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I like all the jerseys - if I had to pick my least favorite, it'd be the NA jersey. A bit bland in comparison to the others. Overall: very well done. :nod:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I like all the jerseys - if I had to pick my least favorite, it'd be the NA jersey. A bit bland in comparison to the others. Overall: very well done. :nod:

take a look at the icethetics summary. They have a nice idea why the NA jersey actually rocks though seeming to look off as a hockey jersey.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
One curious thing is the Finn C on the right side. They must have some reservations about the coat of arms? You see it on the left side of many finnish jerseys.

There must have been some interesting backstage shenanigans, because Finland alone has (been) opted for two different jersey designs whereas the other guys sport pretty much the same insignia for both home and visitor one. (USA has the shield for one and the diagonal letters one for other, though)

0302-fin-jerseys.jpg

Now why the blue one is obviously made to resemble the iconic Suomi jogger among the otherwise very graphic designs I can't quite fathom, unless it is that the Finnish sporting goods manufacturer Karhu has/had something to do with the Suomi-joggers and Adidas couldn't resist to holla an old friend.

In 1951, Karhu sold the three stripes trademark it had been using to a then little known German brand called Adidas for the equivalent of 1600 euros and two bottles of whiskey.

Anyways, blue or white, ain't gonna do it without the old and trusty "special" lion.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Thought this was worth a bump. Perhaps a name change to the official World Cup of Hockey thread?

Russia announces its team tomorrow according to Slava.

Also, insane is Sweden's D? (OEL, Karlson, Hedman, Hjarlmasson so far?)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I think the Canadian jerseys look pretty good. Not a fan of the addidas striping but much better than running down the sleeves. It sure gives the jerseys a football "kit" feel.

I won't comment on other countries as that is best left to the reactions of individual fan bases.

My initial reaction was that this Team Canada jersey is a mix of jerseys from the 1970s.

The Canadian front crest looks like it was inspired by this classic design from the 1978 World Championships. Here is former Jet Robert Picard's jersey.

Canada1978jersey.jpg

Of course the sleeves are a mix from the iconic 1972 Team Canada Summit Series jerseys.

EspositoCanadaRed.png

Overall a sharp looking jersey.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Team Europe is players of all ages but a player like Laine would play for Finland. Ehler's may play for Europe.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/projected-world-cup-roster-team-europe/

I understood Team Europe is strictly for those Europeans who don't have their own national team in the WC. So no Finns, Swedes, Checzs or Russians on TE. Makes sense too, because otherwise the leftovers from those countries would hog up spots and it'd be bad marketing for NHL in the Europe then.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I hope Laine doesn't make the World Cup team. Would rather have him training in August rather than preparing for the World Cup

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I hope Laine doesn't make the World Cup team. Would rather have him training in August rather than preparing for the World Cup

We'll hear tomorrow (Friday) when they'll announce the names of the remaining seven players (three forwards). Erik Haula (Minnesota) and Patrik Laine and Sebastian Aho from the WHC team are plausible candidates, but there was other names too on the shortlist (Teemu Pulkkinen, Detroit and Mikko Rantanen, San Antonio, both also on the WHC team and Miikka Salomäki, Nashville) who are kind of difficult to pass for an NHL event.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad