Speculation: Jets At The World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Am I the only one not buying into the World Cup hype?

No. Quite a few people are not interested. U23, Team "Europe", etc this is a joke. I don't think I'll even watch it to be honest. Blah. Just go to Korea for Olympics NHL, that's so much better for international pla.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Will Enström be on the Swedish team? He removed himself from the Sochi conversation.

I agree. With the caveat that they still go to the Olympics so we have somewhere to watch true best-on-best.

Sweden's crazy deep on D...I don't think Enstrom is in their Top 8 (and I'm an Enstrom fan).

Karlsson, OEL, Hedman, Klingberg, Kronwall, Stralman, Lindholm, Hjalmarsson...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Its just under 23 north America. So if an under 23 player from the US or Canada would have been good enough to make the actual team, that team is now penalized since they are not allowed to be on it. European teams have no such penalty.

This tournament is such a joke. I personally have zero interest in watching it.

Crazy structure and roster rules. The whole thing is a kludge.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
If they didn't do the U23 team, I probably wouldn't watch. With that team there, I'm intrigued - I really want to see what some of the young guns in the US and Canada can do against the older players. Is it gimmicky? For sure.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Am I the only one not buying into the World Cup hype?

I'm not, mainly because of the U23 team actually. I will find it hard to get invested with team Canada if half of the U23 team is also Canadian. Kind of takes away from it being a big "Canada vs USA" or "Canads vs Europe" type thing.

I'm sure I'll watch, but won't be into it like the WJC or the Olympics (which I will be so angry if the NHL decided not to go to)

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If they didn't do the U23 team, I probably wouldn't watch. With that team there, I'm intrigued - I really want to see what some of the young guns in the US and Canada can do against the older players. Is it gimmicky? For sure.

Yeah, to hell with Canada for this tournament. Im all in with the U23's.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It'll be fun I think. Everyone will be looking forward to watching hockey at the end of the summer. We'll all have players to watch. Why not? I'm not getting a tattoo or anything... :)

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
It'll be fun I think. Everyone will be looking forward to watching hockey at the end of the summer. We'll all have players to watch. Why not? I'm not getting a tattoo or anything... :)

IMO if this tournament is a success, that'll be even less incentive for the NHL to participate in the Olympics. That's reason enough for me not to watch.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Will Enström be on the Swedish team? He removed himself from the Sochi conversation.

There seems to be some bad blood between Enström and the SHA. He hasn't been to the world championships since 2008, and he's clearly good enough to have made some of those rosters.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Pavelec-at-IIHF-Tourny-300x178.jpg

Pavelec spoke about being selected and putting on a Czech uni.

To listen click here.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I don't know what voodoo Pavelec uses on hockey managers....there are still a lot folks that attribute his poor, below average save% to a porous Jets defence apparently. This is unsupported by the data, as his contemporaries have put up better numbers every time behind the same team!! Didn't he completely **** the bed in the Olympics for Czech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad