Speculation: Jets At The World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Honestly, with the way Buff has played this year, he might be US's best defenseman, or at least arguably.

And I hope Helle doesn't mind playing all the time. Gonna be like this for a long time for the kid. :nod:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I am reserving my concerns for if and when our guys aren't on the final roster. There are still slots so we'll see.

Agreed. I'm hopeful both get added yet. If they both tear it up down the stretch they should at least get noticed.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This.

It'll be good hockey. The format is a joke.

I don't agree. This isn't the World Hockey Championships. This isn't the Olympics.

Why is it a joke? It's different.

I'd rather watch this than any standard NHL game not featuring the Jets and that includes playoffs. Just because it isn't 'traditional' doesn't make it a joke.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Honestly, with the way Buff has played this year, he might be US's best defenseman, or at least arguably.

And I hope Helle doesn't mind playing all the time. Gonna be like this for a long time for the kid. :nod:

I think they made a mistake not including him on the olympic team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am reserving my concerns for if and when our guys aren't on the final roster. There are still slots so we'll see.

MSL was eventually added to the Oly roster but he still had to be traded. The slight is there. I don't want no stinkin' 2nd best afterthoughts. :laugh:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I don't agree. This isn't the World Hockey Championships. This isn't the Olympics.

Why is it a joke? It's different.

I'd rather watch this than any standard NHL game not featuring the Jets and that includes playoffs. Just because it isn't 'traditional' doesn't make it a joke.

Having a "Rest Of Europe" and "Under-23" team cheapens my enjoyment of an international best on best tournament, something that I have fond memories of dating back to World Cup '96.

The Team Europe idea makes no sense. Wouldn't the NHL want to showcase the considerable progress that nations like Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Slovenia, etc. have made in producing world-class talent? I would've greatly enjoyed an expanded World Cup field, and any concerns about competitive balance could've been addressed with qualifying games.

Team "Young Guns" makes even less sense. I get that the NHL wants to showcase young talent, but why not just have a rule that requires you include a minimum number of players born in 1993 and later?

It'll be great hockey, but it's a bunk format IMO. Sorry, you're not going to convince me otherwise.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Dustin-Byfuglien-at-Team-USA-Camp-300x168.jpg

Current President of the Philadelphia Flyers Paul Holmgren spoke about why Dustin Byfuglien was a good fit for Team USA.

To listen click here.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
JT Miller is an... ambitious inclusion in the top-16, 23-and-under NA players.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
MSL was eventually added to the Oly roster but he still had to be traded. The slight is there. I don't want no stinkin' 2nd best afterthoughts. :laugh:

I guess the way I look at it is that they still have 3 Of the 7 D slots to fill yet and there is zero gaurentee this pre selection group is even a top 4 based on the type of talent they are going to use to round out their roster. I am not saying Trouba or Schiefele are shoe ins by any means but they could still be important parts of this team. MLS was the last guy added and literally played 13th forward. whereas this entire process appears to be a marketing ploy with a fair amount yet to be added. As a side note MLS who I loved really handled that poorly whereas Subban handled his mild snub like a champ. Both decisions ended up being correct because of the gold medal but one guy came across as team first the other guy came across as me first.

At this point the two right handers selected ahead of Trouba were Ekblad and Jones and they are both solid enough players that I don't see this as an egregious omission yet.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Having a "Rest Of Europe" and "Under-23" team cheapens my enjoyment of an international best on best tournament, something that I have fond memories of dating back to World Cup '96.

The Team Europe idea makes no sense. Wouldn't the NHL want to showcase the considerable progress that nations like Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Slovenia, etc. have made in producing world-class talent? I would've greatly enjoyed an expanded World Cup field, and any concerns about competitive balance could've been addressed with qualifying games.

Team "Young Guns" makes even less sense. I get that the NHL wants to showcase young talent, but why not just have a rule that requires you include a minimum number of players born in 1993 and later?

It'll be great hockey, but it's a bunk format IMO. Sorry, you're not going to convince me otherwise.

Seems it is more geared for lovers of " great hockey " than " format " guys like yourself.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
P/60
Scheifele: 2.35 (65)
Monahan: 2.18 (97-T)
Miller: 2.18 (97-T)
Eichel: 2.04 (128)

My theory:
Monahan picked for "instant chemistry" with Gaudreau.
Eichel and Miller (to a lesser extent) picked for marketing purposes.

Edit: The WARRIOR charts for Scheifele vs. Monahan and Eichel aren't even close. Miller's actually not too far off Scheifele.

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
The under 23 team probably has some politicking going on, right now it has 8 USA and 8 Canadian players. I assume the final roster will continue this trend.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I assume Trouba and Scheifele will be in the next wave for Team North America.

Personally, I think both are going to be right there in the discussions, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Scheif is one of my favs. But you knew they were going with McDavid and Eichel. And Couts I can see as the shutdown and PK guy. Doesn't mean he's better than Scheif, just that he has a different role. Unless they take some more centres and move them to the wing (I think I see 6 already), he's now competing with RNH, Galch, Bennett, at C, and guys like Jenner, Huberdeau, Domi, etc. I think he's worthy, but sometimes there isn't enough spots. I mean Chirelli already thinks RNH will be on the roster:

""That was a difficult one," Chiarelli said. "He knows what he has to do. I would expect him to be part of this team at the end of the day. But he's got to come back and play, and I expect that he will.""

Trouba I think is in the same boat. I think he's worthy, but there are only so many spots. Ekblad is a lock as the #1RHD, and I think Trouba and Jones are close. I'd take Trouba over Hamilton myself off the top of my head with what's left. And probably Ghost for the left. I'd like to see a list of what's left though.

Lot's of good players will be off most of the teams.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
I wonder if Ehlers will make the final cut for europe. His WARRRIOR chart looks really damn good. much better than boedker anyway.

hYJXvxI.jpg

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

Seems it is more geared for lovers of " great hockey " than " format " guys like yourself.

What makes great hockey great? Playing for something that means something, or dumping a bunch of players into an exhibition meant to sell TV rights and line pockets in the near term?

I guess if you prefer the All Star game to the Stanley Cup Finals then have at 'er.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Jersey's for the World's. Third top row is Team Europe and Black one is Under 23

cut.jpg

a mix of phenomenal designs and a few shtinkers.
Canada and North America are incredible.
Europe's is very good.
rest are meh.
Finland's is horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad