Speculation: Jets At The World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not sure if any get announced today but these guys could potentially be there.

USA
Wheeler - confirmed
Byfuglien - confirmed

U23
Hellebuyck - confirmed
Scheifele - confirmed
Trouba - confirmed

Europe
Ehlers - not invited

Finland
Laine - confirmed

Russia
Telegin - confirmed

Czech
Pavelec - confirmed

This tournament will affect training camps around the league a little bit.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure if any get announced today but these guys coukd potentially be there.

USA
Wheeler
Byfuglien

U23
Hellebuyck
Scheifele
Trouba

Europe
Ehlers

This tournament will affect training camps around the league a little bit.

Quick question: is there a decision making mechanism to decide between the under 23 team and one of the National teams if a player could play on both?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Quick question: is there a decision making mechanism to decide between the under 23 team and one of the National teams if a player could play on both?

Probably up to the player if they get invited to both, unless there is some sort of rule on that?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Yes, all players U23 play on that team, rather than USA or Canada.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Ah, I did not realize that they would be ineligible if they were U23. Thanks!

Old guns vs. new guns. Adds an interesting wrinkle to the tourney, methinks. Gibson and Helle as the goalies? Some very high level, very young talent could be on that team as well - I think it's going to be a hoot to watch them.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't expect Pavelec to not be named, although it's doubtful he starts over Neuvirth. They could bring a kid from Europe but this tournament seems like a "NHL players first" kind of thing.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Old guns vs. new guns. Adds an interesting wrinkle to the tourney, methinks. Gibson and Helle as the goalies? Some very high level, very young talent could be on that team as well - I think it's going to be a hoot to watch them.

Most definitely. I was just unsure about the rules, if someone U23 (McDavid) would be eligible to receive an invite to, let's say, team Canada. This makes it even more interesting IMO.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I didnt realize Panarin is 24, turning 25. Guess that explains why he doesnt look like the typical rookie.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Czech team looks pretty standard, no real surprises. Not sure they'll be competitive, but that roster is pretty easy to pick.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Is U23 just a North American team? Would a guy like Laine be up for Finland or U23?

Its just under 23 north America. So if an under 23 player from the US or Canada would have been good enough to make the actual team, that team is now penalized since they are not allowed to be on it. European teams have no such penalty.

This tournament is such a joke. I personally have zero interest in watching it.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
No Jagr? No Tlusty!? :sarcasm:

There are still lots of slots open on these rosters though.

I did think he was on the list (just skimmed it) but I'm sure he'll tell the Czech team if he wants to play when the season is over.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Its just under 23 north America. So if an under 23 player from the US or Canada would have been good enough to make the actual team, that team is now penalized since they are not allowed to be on it. European teams have no such penalty.

This tournament is such a joke. I personally have zero interest in watching it.

I think it makes it even more interesting. International competition isn't the meaningful sort of thing it used to be...in my opinion. Its more of a fun thing now.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Will Enström be on the Swedish team? He removed himself from the Sochi conversation.

I agree. With the caveat that they still go to the Olympics so we have somewhere to watch true best-on-best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille