Recalled/Assigned: Jets assign Machacek, Macenauer and Meech to STJ

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don't like the implication that I play NHL 13 or that I don't know what I am talking about.

Management's get replaced all the time because they are incompetent. This one is above reproach though? If they get insulted because I feel they have made mistakes, they need to grow a thicker skin to be in the professional sports world.

Feel free to mock me if Peluso becomes a useful player, but odds are he isn't, IMO. Don't like the direction we have taken here with a few things, don't like the way the roster is being built. Let's just remember that I even gave Ran_y Jones some credit last year at times, I judge by results, and I don't hold personal grudges. I hope Peluso can be effective and our backwards philosophy works...but I just don't see it...

Whatever, you all know my feelings. I'm going to leave this conversation, I don't feel like talking about it anymore.

So just because we spent one press box spot on a goon your this upset? Plenty of teams have a goon, I don't agree with the philosophy but I hardly think its a massive blunder by management.

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
Seems pretty obvious to me what the Jets are trying to do, look at the roster now and aside from Wellwood and Little team size has increased dramatically over last year. This is a good thing as they were pushed around quite a bit last season.

Totally in agreement. we have gottem much bigger and tougher and where did we lose all this skill and goal scoring by doing it

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
You should have said Zinger Asst gm to the Jets and General Manager of the Ice Caps...... and I think that Chevy took Zingers recommendation that this kid is worth the $650,000 Nhl contract risk and from what he saw in the AHL has more upside than Machecek......
If you think Chevy made this call on his own and that Zinger (Asst Gm of the Jets) is only concerned with the Ice Caps and not finding any Ahl talent that can help the Jets......you have your head in the sand and not a firm understanding of what our management staff roles are ..... so I repeat this has zingers fingerprints on it.........

And your guarantee that his old team would pick him up if the Jets put him on waivers means $0 (zip)..... bottom line the jets are investing $650 k in this kid
-I wonder whoever guaranteed Sather that he could move Reddens $6.5 mill contract if he had to, still has his Job........

i'm sorry, maybe i misread your post initially? it seemed like a dig and more "omg aaron gagnon has a one way " backlash. i agree that zinger probably had his hand in it, but in the positive way.

Mostly i took your post as it being zinger getting chevy to get him because zinger wanted him to help him with calder cup- obviously alot of that was inferred and maybe i shouldn't have assumed as much, but which would be silly.

I hope zinger had his hand in this like he had his hands in mason raymond/alex burrows.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
The biggest issue i don't get is how is this a bad thing in any possible way. it doesn't show that machacek's not getting a shake, it doesn't show anything other then the GM took a calculated risk in waiving these guys so they could be brought up in the future, so they could get look at 2 free assets that MIGHT be worth something.

It may go against your senses of how a team can be built, but i just can't possibly see a negative. I know i said this before but IF these guys play and suck they'll be waived, in which we can bring up Mach and Mac to play.

If we hadn't acquired them and mach and mac sucked we'd be without anything(especially if someone else did claim them).

I don't see how this can't be viewed as a reasonable possibility that doesn't interfere with "the one true blueprint to a stanley cup"

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think there is a good chance they are fighting for the same roster spot.

Well I'm hoping that Mark either proves himself capable of bumping someone out of the top 9 or he's back to Barrie. He shouldn't be competing for a grinding 4th lime role.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Finally got home and had a chance to catch up on what was happening today. Seems like the "cuts" got some spirited discussion. None of them seem surprising to me, so 3 of the AHLers got sent down. They had a chance to make the opening day roster and didn't push the door open. Since none of them were claimed I don't imagine Chevy missed the mark. Machacek will likely get another chance, what he does with it will be up to him. I'm curious to see what the new pickups look like. Chevy has my trust and I like the fact we are getting bigger and tougher.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think the fact that Redmond made the team ahead of Meech is a sign that the team has faith in rookies.

Who knows why Macenauer and especially Machacek were cut, but I have faith in Chevy's decisions. And if he (or Peluso) don't work out, we can waive them and call up Mace or Mach.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Don't like the implication that I play NHL 13 or that I don't know what I am talking about.

Management's get replaced all the time because they are incompetent. This one is above reproach though? If they get insulted because I feel they have made mistakes, they need to grow a thicker skin to be in the professional sports world.

Feel free to mock me if Peluso becomes a useful player, but odds are he isn't, IMO. Don't like the direction we have taken here with a few things, don't like the way the roster is being built. Let's just remember that I even gave Ran_y Jones some credit last year at times, I judge by results, and I don't hold personal grudges. I hope Peluso can be effective and our backwards philosophy works...but I just don't see it...

Whatever, you all know my feelings. I'm going to leave this conversation, I don't feel like talking about it anymore.

I was joking that Noel and Chevy were watching TC and not playing their own game of NHL 13. Sheesh.

And who has ever said our management team is beyond reproach? And who has said that the guys the Jets have added are sure fire players, and are going to be with the team for the long term?

It's the attitude that somehow you know better than everyone else, including hockey professionals, and that all of their moves that don't match your own thoughts are stupid which is baffling.

Last edited:

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
history would argue against that...
McSorley was given protection of Gretzky job yet every player who was "grinder" or physical says they tried to run Gretzky whenever they could (but they usually follow up that Gretzky was too good to be run)

gretzky was very elusive no doubt but don't ever think that semenko or mcsorley or mcclelan didn't serve their purpose of protecting his butt and being a deterant for any body wanting a piece of him as many ex nhler or coach has gone on record of saying time and time again. guys whe would breath on the great one usually got tossed around instantly and the oilers sent that message out loud and clear early on that no one was to touch him.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
history would argue against that...
McSorley was given protection of Gretzky job yet every player who was "grinder" or physical says they tried to run Gretzky whenever they could (but they usually follow up that Gretzky was too good to be run)

I think if the Brashear incident happened before he received that detail...he would have been more successful at it...

Too soon?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Well I'm hoping that Mark either proves himself capable of bumping someone out of the top 9 or he's back to Barrie. He shouldn't be competing for a grinding 4th lime role.

No he's competing for a spot on a NHL roster, so be it he plays on the 4th line this short season, playing a half season of junior and world junior already has helped his game, if he's NHL ready he's NHL ready.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Some people are in my view placing a bit too much emphasis on the 4th line role. He has been playing on the #2 pp unit and they even had him doing some pk work earlier in the week. Regardless, you've got to think that sooner or later Noel will juggle his lines anyway. They'll also likely be planning to roll 4 lines due the short season.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
No he's competing for a spot on a NHL roster, so be it he plays on the 4th line this short season, playing a half season of junior and world junior already has helped his game, if he's NHL ready he's NHL ready.

I disagree.

If they are only planning to give him 10 mins (or less) of ice in a 4th line role, i think he would be better off going back to Barrie, continuing his leadership role with them and seeing how far they can go in the OHL playoffs. I would be very surprised if Chevy and co keep Scheifele here all year in a 4th line role.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This is not directed at anyone in particular but a response to the general meme "we are getting bigger" that is thrown around way too much on the Jets board here. In my opinion it is a rather poorly thought out and shortsighted argument. If being sucessful in the NHL amounted to just "getting bigger" every team would do it (esp if you want to get bigger through marginal players as Jets have done through the waivers). Heck why not hire and throw sumo wrestlers on the ice if we just want to "get bigger". Other than Clitsome all the Jets waiver pickups were disastrous last year, can anyone honestly say that the guys they picked up from the waivers (other than Clitsome) were better than Machacek and some of other guys in St. John's? I hope to god that Jets brass doesn't have a single minded focus on "getting bigger" as some here seem to think they do.

I'll be pissed if Scheiflie gets thrown into a 4th line role. There is no reason to not start him at 2nd line RW and see how he does. If he's not good enough for a second or third line role send him back to Barrie and let him develop. No point wasting his time on the 4th line in a role not suited to him

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
And the answer to this post is? WRONG!!!!!!!

Seriously. How many times have you heard old pros say the exact opposite? I can think of Tons

Less prevalent now with the instigator rule.

Depends on the player. Some won't give a s*** and others might think twice. I don't think Peluso will be in the line-up to protect Scheifele. He'll be in there against a bigger more physical team, like the Bruins or Flyers. Or I see it as a way of not having a Lucic/Miller incident, or having a slightly different line-up when the two teams meet again.

The Jets have pretty good team toughness - Buff, Stuart, Bogo, Kane, Thorbs and maybe Ladd - but you wouldn't want those guys sitting in the box for 5+ mins, you want them on the ice. Ok, Stuart can drop the flippers. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad