Recalled/Assigned: Jets assign Machacek, Macenauer and Meech to STJ

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
As an aside, seeing the reaction of unproven yet promising players being sent back to the minors reminds me of the way the Oilers board would react when Schremp and Omark would get sent down. Where are they now?

Omark's playing for Zug in the Swiss league. 39 GP, 13 G, 34 A, 47 P, +11. I thought he could've been a useful player in the NHL - especially in Edmonton's crapheap lineup these last few seasons. Then again, that team does have an overabundance of undersized forwards.

Schremp's been bouncing around Europe for a while...but lol, he had 145 points in 57 games and led the OHL in scoring in 05-06 (46 more points than the Bobby Ryan)...I think I can understand why fans were hoping to see him bring that to the Oilers. Can you imagine if a Jet prospect had blown away the league in the OHL scoring race and management kept sending him down to the Ice Caps (Schremp was a point-per-game player in the AHL too)? If you think people are mad about Mahacek... :)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
No surprises. Machacek had every opportunity to kick the door down an earn a spot and he didn't. Hopefully he takes this lesson and uses it to push himself so he earns it next time the NHL comes calling for him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am a big Macho fan based on his games with our team last year and really wanted to see him in our lineup this year but that is my underdog fan boy emotional reaction.

I am not on the inside here and have no idea what’s up? I wasn't at camp to see how he looked. I didn't hear the McCambridge interview where he discussed Macho's current year and attitude? This is not a good sign for Spencer but it is hardly final. We haven't absorbed any injuries yet and Schief may get sent down. This is act I on the day before opening night of the play that will be in town until May. I highly doubt TSNE brain trust fell off the turnip truck and are willingly shooting their foot off here. There has to be more to this than I can see and I am willing to let it play out.

If these guys clear waivers then I hold out the possibility that I am over valuing Machacek.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I am a big Macho fan based on his games with our team last year and really wanted to see him in our lineup this year but that is my underdog fan boy emotional reaction.

I am not on the inside here and have no idea what’s up? I wasn't at camp to see how he looked. I didn't hear the McCambridge interview where he discussed Macho's current year and attitude? This is not a good sign for Spencer but it is hardly final. We haven't absorbed any injuries yet and Schief may get sent down. This is act I on the day before opening night of the play that will be in town until May. I highly doubt TSNE brain trust fell off the turnip truck and are willingly shooting their foot off here. There has to be more to this than I can see and I am willing to let it play out.

If these guys clear waivers then I hold out the possibility that I am over valuing Machacek.

apparently all 3 cleared

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Did you watch St. John's? Every game I watched he was pretty much the best player on the ice. St. John's as a team sucked, but it was FAR from Machacek's fault.

Were you in the dressing room as Machacek was saying around about how much better he was than everybody, how he doesn't need to try? No, you weren't. You are grasping at straws that you think make sense. Only thing here that makes sense is that Jets management has ****ed up. And I hope Machacek moves on so he doesn't have to deal with us screwing him over for the 5th time...

St. John's STH here...

Machacek has been a total shadow of himself compared to last year. He's been desperate at times, disinterested at others, and inconsistent to say the least.

It shows on the stat line, but most important it shows on the ice.

That being said I think he'll have a better second half. With the talent gap between teams in the AHL now being narrowed with the end of the NHL lockout, I can see St. John's going on a run (they were very impressive last Sunday against the Marlies) with Mach being a catalyst for it, now that he realizes he needs to work his way back into the good graces of the Jets brass.

Thrashers94

We fly as one
Mar 22, 2010
Atlanta
www.twitter.com
I've been waiting for Machacek to make this franchise's roster for the last 4 seasons now, I am in shock two AHL scrubs (Wright couldn't even make the Panthers team for ****s sake) made the team over him now after how well he played at the end of last season for us.

Unreal. No way he clears waivers.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I've been waiting for Machacek to make this franchise's roster for the last 4 seasons now, I am in shock two AHL scrubs (Wright couldn't even make the Panthers team for ****s sake) made the team over him now after how well he played at the end of last season for us.

Unreal. No way he clears waivers.

He already did... so yeah.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Either way there's no reason 2 waiver claims made the team over him, or even Macenauer for that matter. Two guys with NHL experience just last season.

Management must really want to see St. John's turn their season around and will do so even at the expense of the big club. :dunno:

29 other NHL gm's must be horrible too

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
Either way there's no reason 2 waiver claims made the team over him, or even Macenauer for that matter. Two guys with NHL experience just last season.

Management must really want to see St. John's turn their season around and will do so even at the expense of the big club. :dunno:

Ever stop and think Machacek didn't play well?

I have seen him the past two years and he's horribly inconsistant.He needs an attitude adjustment and hopefully this will be a wake up call.

I'll trust Chevy.A good 1/2 season is no requirement to be a full time NHL player.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

The other STH up there stated that Machacek looks like a shadow of last year's performance, though. I know that GMs and coaches operate on a 'prove it' mentality, and while he did so last year, he had the first 1/2 of this season to keep it up and didn't.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I am shocked that Mark Chipman settled on Kevin Cheveldayoff as GM with so many fans who clearly know substantially more about the game then him.

I don't claim to know everything about hockey, but if they believe that the A is where Machacek needs to be, then I have no reason to believe that is not true. Clearly they saw something in Peluso and Wright to want to pick them up and give them a look-see.

Just checked out my window to be extra safe, and indeed the sky is not falling.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Grind made a good point that now Machacek and Maceneaur can come up and down as needed... Peluso and Wright would have been just nicked back by their old team...

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I am shocked that Mark Chipman settled on Kevin Cheveldayoff as GM with so many fans who clearly know substantially more about the game then him.

I don't claim to know everything about hockey, but if they believe that the A is where Machacek needs to be, then I have no reason to believe that is not true. Clearly they saw something in Peluso and Wright to want to pick them up and give them a look-see.

These waiver wire claims are at no risk to the club and have the potential to make our bottom checking line that much harder to play against. If they don't pan out, waiver them again and re-evaluate where the prospects are.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
These waiver wire claims are at no risk to the club and have the potential to make our bottom checking line that much harder to play against. If they don't pan out, waiver them again and re-evaluate where the prospects are.

Cap geek has Wright on a 1 way $650 k nhl contract next year....... $650 k guaranteed contract does not sound like a no risk proposition.......this has zingers fingerprints all over it.....

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Cap geek has Wright on a 1 way $650 k nhl contract next year....... $650 k guaranteed contract does not sound like a no risk proposition.......this has zingers fingerprints all over it.....

really?! Do you possibly mean that some team OTHER then st johns/winnipeg gave an "ahl scrub" a contract with one year having a one way cap hit?!

....shocking

zinger didn't give him the contract, and zinger never get his hands on this player, as he goes to waivers if we try and send him down (and its almost a garauntee his old team claims him back).

waiver wire pickup by the parent team can't possibly have the AHL gm's fingerprints on them. That's like saying Chevy has his fingerprints on Zinger signing random vets to AHL only contracts.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

No kidding.

All over who plays our 4th line grinder spot too. :laugh:

Just because he's super short does not mean he's an evil little gnome with magical fingertip powers...or does it? :sarcasm:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No kidding.

All over who plays our 4th line grinder spot too. :laugh:

People say that the 4th line doesn't matter...Yet the two teams in the finals both made it there last year in quite a large part because of really really solid play by their 4th lines. They could actually play solid minutes, that's the key, they did not need to be protected and they would come at you with all lines and wear your team down. You need that to be successful, IMO. Guys like Peluso are the past.

The Kings turned their season around because of 3 factors. 1)Coaching change. 2)Acquiring a top end sniper 3)Perhaps most importantly THEY FIXED THEIR DEPTH, by scratching Westgarth, sending down useless Moreau and Hunter and calling up Dwight King and Jordan Nolan.

4th lines and depth matter big time, IMO. And I think we have screwed ours up. James Wright is a decent pickup (he's a better Macenauer IMO) but he cannot slide into any other role than hitting grinding defensive forward (ie Chris Thorburn part 2). Peluso is going to hold this team back not allowing them to roll 4 lines. Machacek could have been huge adding hitting and more importantly offense to the bottom line. As it stands we have nobody in the bottom line that can move into a more offensive role in the top 9, Machacek would have been great as a 4th liner that can easily slide into any line and role we need. But no we needed that fighter. :help:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

No reason two waiver claims should make the team over Mach...

Put another way...

No reason a player that one or more teams want on their roster should make the team over a player that nobody wants on the roster.

Could be as simple as Mach isn't an NHL calibre player.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I didn't get a chance to see the practises...but it looks like Mach got outplayed maybe?

It seems odd. I definitely thought the guy deserved to stick with the Jets this season.

You would think the guy would have been ready by now, but his sub-par play in St.Johns and showing at Jets camp didn't impress anyone. Have to wonder if this guy is in the Jets picture now, he has had numerous chances and is already in his mid-twenties.

Thought he was pretty good at the end of last season when he was called up, don't think the Jets liked what they saw or they wouldn't have picked up Peluso.

Some of you guys are being a little hard on Jets management and coaching, if Mach would have earned the spot he would still be here, the two guys they picked up both have the intangible you can't teach...SIZE and both are still young.

Last edited:

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
People say that the 4th line doesn't matter...Yet the two teams in the finals both made it there last year in quite a large part because of really really solid play by their 4th lines. They could actually play solid minutes, that's the key, they did not need to be protected and they would come at you with all lines and wear your team down. You need that to be successful, IMO. Guys like Peluso are the past.

The Kings turned their season around because of 3 factors. 1)Coaching change. 2)Acquiring a top end sniper 3)Perhaps most importantly THEY FIXED THEIR DEPTH, by scratching Westgarth, sending down useless Moreau and Hunter and calling up Dwight King and Jordan Nolan.

4th lines and depth matter big time, IMO. And I think we have screwed ours up. James Wright is a decent pickup (he's a better Macenauer IMO) but he cannot slide into any other role than hitting grinding defensive forward (ie Chris Thorburn part 2). Peluso is going to hold this team back not allowing them to roll 4 lines. Machacek could have been huge adding hitting and more importantly offense to the bottom line. As it stands we have nobody in the bottom line that can move into a more offensive role in the top 9, Machacek would have been great as a 4th liner that can easily slide into any line and role we need. But no we needed that fighter. :help:

But if you look to the SC final the year before last, the Bruins basically had exactly what Jets management hopes Peluso can be in Shawn Thornton.

There is a variety of different formula's for an effective 4th line but the one thing they all have in common is every guy is giving 100% every second he's on the ice.

It seems the way Machacek carried himself so far this season caused more than a few people in the Jets organization to question whether or not he was capable of that.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
really?! Do you possibly mean that some team OTHER then st johns/winnipeg gave an "ahl scrub" a contract with one year having a one way cap hit?!

....shocking

zinger didn't give him the contract, and zinger never get his hands on this player, as he goes to waivers if we try and send him down (and its almost a garauntee his old team claims him back).

waiver wire pickup by the parent team can't possibly have the AHL gm's fingerprints on them. That's like saying Chevy has his fingerprints on Zinger signing random vets to AHL only contracts.

You should have said Zinger Asst gm to the Jets and General Manager of the Ice Caps...... and I think that Chevy took Zingers recommendation that this kid is worth the $650,000 Nhl contract risk and from what he saw in the AHL has more upside than Machecek......
If you think Chevy made this call on his own and that Zinger (Asst Gm of the Jets) is only concerned with the Ice Caps and not finding any Ahl talent that can help the Jets......you have your head in the sand and not a firm understanding of what our management staff roles are ..... so I repeat this has zingers fingerprints on it.........

And your guarantee that his old team would pick him up if the Jets put him on waivers means $0 (zip)..... bottom line the jets are investing $650 k in this kid
-I wonder whoever guaranteed Sather that he could move Reddens $6.5 mill contract if he had to, still has his Job........

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg

The Winnipeg Jets owe him nothing....hes been in our organization for one year and if he came into the year at St.Johns with a poor work ethic then it looks like he did this on his own man.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

My only problem with this post is that you have already tried and convicted Peluso before game one! Give him a chance! Can you imagine if he becomes a player for us? You are going to feel kind of silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad