Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Panthers 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Went to check the boxscore and the TOI doesn't add up... :huh:

Agreed... reminded me of Maurice's OT plan... lets play exhausted Buff Wheels and Scheif for a 2 min shift
Gotta keep certain guys happy and give them a chance at points with an empty net.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That is high praise because I really like Vilardi too. At the sake of sounding like a broken record what I like about Iafallo and Kupari is the speed, pressure, and determination. My major complaint about the Jets since about 2019 is that our forwards didn’t defend well enough and our structure lacked integrity most nights because of a lack of buy in. We didn’t seem to compete at at level necessary most nights. We were short on guys like Tanev and Perreault that brought it all the time (and I don’t mean their pest like nature I mean their compete level). To me since the TD last season we have added the right type of players that are more fan friendly. I feel like I am getting my money’s worth as a fan type players.

It was intended as high praise. :nod:

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Only two games in but I like how it feels so far.

I was just thinking about tapping the brakes a bit because I remember the first half last year. But I think they are looking better and have better underlying stats this time. But it is only 2 games.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do jets suck when the other teams net is pulled? I recall a few games from last year where leads were blown.

Fair question.

Apparently Pionk gets completely befuddled when down a skater. How much of that might be at his feet - and by extension, at the feet of the coach who puts him out there at those times?

I haven't been able to focus on him much so far but I'm told (here) that his 5v5 stats are good. His bad numbers when down a man are long term.

Our D problem would be simplified if all we needed to do was delete Schmidt from the lineup and staple Pionk to the bench when short handed.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes it has. The jets lost. Some ppl care about stats and analytics. I don’t. It’s did they win or lose.

The stats and analytics are just about explaining what happened and predicting what is likely to happen next. They are no substitute for W/L.

That said, I care about how they play. A hard fought, exciting loss can sometimes be better than a lazy, sloppy, flukey win. If the poor play in the win is the usual style, you know they won't win a lot and vice-versa.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
s
what does Dillion have over Berg, meanness? I see berg being faster. I think Berg has an higher hockey IQ. Also you could say same thing bout Demelo being safe and limited toolbelt. Yet I’ll take that over the high risk of Pionk for what this team needs most.
The fact berg has 42 games under his belt may mean he has more to offer. Everyone else is what they are.
Dillon is less mistake prone. Dillon is our only nuclear deterrent other than Lowry. Dillon plays the body better.

…and yes, Dillon has a higher hockey IQ.

Demelo is superior right now. Pionk is superior right now.

Samberg is younger and cheaper. He may one day be “steadier” than Dillon. That’s about it.

Gotta understand, I wasn’t putting Samberg down, but to insinuate he will soon be our second best defenseman is hyperbol. He will continue to improve, but I can’t see him having much offensive upside and his physicality isn’t that impressive. As long as he plays a no risk game, he is capable of some cool plays (I saw that against Calgary). Does he have potential to be another Demelo when he peaks? Sure, I think so. Not there yet though.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Is it hyperbole from others, or is the guy just slowly blossoming into a high end complimentary 2nd pair guy that his stats and his recent play indicate he is heading towards?

Dude is heading into his 2nd full NHL season and has overtaken Dillon already. Who I agree is still a good player. It's not just the prospect dweeb buying in here, our coach has now too..

Just like Dillon, limited offense but simple can be a great thing.
He is improving, but Dillon is more valuable and, frankly, better right now. Dillon has often been underrated in my view anyway.

As I said, Samberg is improving and should become a complimentary third pair guy on a top team. Maybe a fourth defenseman. Maybe. But my reaction has been to the nonstop gushing over the guy since before he played a single game for the Moose or Jets.

Reactions: Jet

None

Feb 22, 2012
So they are playing individual songs again? Anyone got a list?

Dylan Demelo
This is how we do it - Montell Jordan

Neal Pionk
Renegade - Styx

Brenden Dillon
Bennie and the Jets - Elton John

Vlad Namestnikov
This ain't a scene, it's an arms race - Fall Out Boy

Alex Iafallo
Nothing but a good time - Poison

Gabe Vilardi
Macarena (Bayside Boys Remix) - Los Del Rio

Rasmus Kupari
Flamethrower - The J. Geils Band

Adam Lowry
Lil Boo Thang - Paul Russell

David Gustafsson
Levels - AVICII

Mason Appleton
Keg in the closet - Kenny Chesney

Nikolaj Ehlers
House on Fire - Jonah Blacksmith

Morgan Barron
Home for a Rest - Spirit of the West

Josh Morrissey
Magic in the Air - Magic System, Chawki

Declan Chisholm
It's Tricky - Run DMC

Dylan Samberg
Let's Go Crazy - Prince

Mark Scheifele
Ain't no mountain high enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

Nino Niederreiter
Disco Inferno - Syzz, Nora Van Elken

Logan Stanley
White Horse - Chris Stapleton

Kyle Connor
Hell Yeah - Rev Theory

Nate Schmidt
Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO

Cole Perfetti
Party Till We Die - MAKJ & Timmy Trumpet

Connor Hellebuyck
Gangnam Style - PSY

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
He is improving, but Dillon is more valuable and, frankly, better right now. Dillon has often been underrated in my view anyway.

As I said, Samberg is improving and should become a complimentary third pair guy on a top team. Maybe a fourth defenseman. Maybe. But my reaction has been to the nonstop gushing over the guy since before he played a single game for the Moose or Jets.

For what it's worth, so far the gushing has turned out to be pretty justified. He looked like he projected to be a potential defense first, 2nd pair guy with size, skating that can move the puck. He is 24 and that's where the coach is playing him already. He is still getting better and better.

A guy like Ekholm seems like a pretty realistic expectation at this point. People have seen this potential in him for several years now, and it mat be coming to fruition. I guess that's why he has a fan club.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Dillon is less mistake prone. Dillon is our only nuclear deterrent other than Lowry. Dillon plays the body better.

Samberg is younger and cheaper. He may one day be “steadier” than Dillon. That’s about it.

Gotta understand, I wasn’t putting Samberg down, but to insinuate he will soon be our second best defenseman is hyperbol. He will continue to improve, but I can’t see him having much offensive upside and his physicality isn’t that impressive. As long as he plays a no risk game, he is capable of some cool plays (I saw that against Calgary). Does he have potential to be another Demelo when he peaks? Sure, I think so. Not there yet though.
That’s okay that we disagree. I think his offensive potential hasn’t been tested as he is newer. I think berg sees game better than Dillion. You argue he is a 3rd pairing D on a cup contending team, where would you put Dillion. Cup contending teams often have weaker players at some position because of cap. Either D, forward.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Fair question.

Apparently Pionk gets completely befuddled when down a skater. How much of that might be at his feet - and by extension, at the feet of the coach who puts him out there at those times?

I haven't been able to focus on him much so far but I'm told (here) that his 5v5 stats are good. His bad numbers when down a man are long term.

Our D problem would be simplified if all we needed to do was delete Schmidt from the lineup and staple Pionk to the bench when short handed.
It blows my mind that Pionk is one of our main PK guys now...

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think he has potential to exceed DeMelo, if for no other reason then by size. But the type is probably accurate.

I wouldn't say that Dillon has a higher HIQ. He is less mistake prone. He is also slower - and getting more so, I think. Still adequate.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think he has potential to exceed DeMelo, if for no other reason then by size. But the type is probably accurate.

I wouldn't say that Dillon has a higher HIQ. He is less mistake prone. He is also slower - and getting more so, I think. Still adequate.

Yeah Dillon is great in front of our net, and doesn't panic much. He plays more traditional stay at home dman style where he backs off and doesnt make big mistakes. More physical.

Samberg has very smart, aggressive gap control and better puck skills and is still becoming more consistent. He is also growing into that "man strength" Dillon already has that makes everyone look a half step faster.

I see them as two similar value players, with expected trajectories given their age

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Right now Dillion is better. But, ppl are projecting because of fewer games. Dillion is what he is, berg can grow as he still only has half a season under his belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad