Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Panthers 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton Eye Joe

Oct 8, 2023
Jets played another strong game. Really liked aspects of all 4 lines.

Pionk and Samberg had another stellar game 5v5. Pionk has been on ice for only 0.24 xG against 5v5 in the 1st two games.

Dillon and Schmidt have been the weakest pair and Morrissey has occasionally pressed forward in his zone a bit too aggressively.

I don't put much stock into evaluating 6v5 situations. Lots of random plays and bounces.

Refs really came on strong in the 3rd and started to dictate play...
I'd like to see Chisholm sub in for Schmidt in game 6 or 7.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am 100% with you, I am surprises by the dissapointment? Cole has looked really good defending so far and that is what he needs to do to solidify his position at 2nd line centre. He will produce more once he gets more comfortable with playing centre. So far I think this is working out better than expected. It would be a huge benefit if he can play centre for us. We have nobody else in the pipeline that can do it other than Maybe Lambert but that may never happen or it might be years away.

The line got constructed one game ago. Perfetti is new to this role at the NHL level. All three guys are strong possession players so I really like the chances of this line being plus as far as impact goes.

We don’t need Cole as a scoring winger on this team.

I agree. I think people also need to remember who his coach is. He needs to be good defensively in order to even be trusted to play the position. This isn't Maurice where he'd allow top 6 players to get away with being sub par defensively.

Also we heard all the same things about Mark his first 15 to 20 games his rookie year as he wasn't noticeable and struggled to produce. I think we are all pretty happy the org didn't deviate from the plan with him after some early struggles. Also Cole is far from struggling anyhow.

Frendlygiant

Apr 27, 2018
Just picked up a killer deal for tix to the Kings game for my brother and I! Sitting next to the Jets bench, two rows up. Never been that close for a Jets game before.

Is PLD playing? I heard he might be suspended. I’ll be sure to give him a warm reception.
He will be, he did not have a disciplinary hearing. Seems his hit was more of a shin on shin.

Reactions: snowkiddin

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yup. Also I think Bones is likely trying to mold him similarly to how he molded Hintz. A defensively strong C with offense. So his game may look differently then what many expect it to.
So Bones might develop players that get better after he leaves....?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree. I think people also need to remember who his coach is. He needs to be good defensively in order to even be trusted to play the position. This isn't Maurice where he'd allow top 6 players to get away with being sub par defensively.

Also we heard all the same things about Mark his first 15 to 20 games his rookie year as he wasn't noticeable and struggled to produce. I think we are all pretty happy the org didn't deviate from the plan with him after some early struggles. Also Cole is far from struggling anyhow.

He has plenty of god given talent on offense and that will come. There is no rush, just keep driving possesion and building your coaches trust.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Just picked up a killer deal for tix to the Kings game for my brother and I! Sitting next to the Jets bench, two rows up. Never been that close for a Jets game before.

Is PLD playing? I heard he might be suspended. I’ll be sure to give him a warm reception.

I managed to get seats right in that area last season. Those are great seats, you two will have a blast!

Reactions: snowkiddin

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I thought the Jets looked really good at even strength today. That is the fastest I have seen our team play in a long time and I think it’s mostly the quality of the depth. Between Nino and Names at the deadline, then the three LA boys we have added allot of quality pieces that all play the game the right way, with speed, defense, and puck pressure.

I think Vilardi is a really good fit with Schief and Connor. He is so strong on the wall and around the net and that is what those guys need.

As long as Schiefele looks anything close to how he looked tonight that line will have a big year.

Really fun team to watch play hockey and I haven’t said that about a Jets team in a while.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And it's not just the tough sell Jets...

My Lady and I are lucky... we can meet the challenges of inflation these days as we have no debt... and have a great life in general...

Many people are struggling with the rampant inflation in our economy right now...

My prayers are with those struggling...

rampant inflation?
You must be very young. Or have a very short memory.

None

Feb 22, 2012
That will turn around quickly if they keep playing like they have so far. I might even buy a couple of tickets myself.

The team's messaging has been a lot better this offseason but I think there was understandable trepidation with trusting True North after they straight up threatened fans, even if it was meant to take aim more at local businesses.

I'll probably go back to attending ~15-20 games if my current enthusiasm holds.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Loved everything about that game outside the last 5 minutes. I hate the bunker defend style and that is what we went to and it nearly bit us. But all in all another real good game by the team.

Helle was better tonight but still has another level in him.

JoMo was beating and DeMelo was very good. Morrissey looks poised for another Norris caliber year.

Pionk/Snerg - another solid night for this pairing. Snerg just compliments Pionk's game quite well.

Dillion/Schmidt - A whole lot of meh from this pairing I thought.

Top line: Conner and Scheifele were flying out there. Vilardi was a bit quieter then the first game but still was solid.

Second line: Cole looked much more comfortable going forward tonight. Made a heads up pass on DeMelo's goal. Ehlers and Nino played real well as well and the line could have had a couple more. They crushed their matchups once again.
is what
Third line: Did their best work on the PK imo. Were solid but not great 5 on 5.

Fourth line: Kupari is really growing on me. Future 3C imo. Barron was good and name was ok.

Onto next game.

Meh is what you hope for from your 3rd pair.

Was it just me, or was there very little time at 5v5 in the last 2 periods?

If the Jets play good solid hockey and win their fair share the attendance will perk up. As many have said going to games is a high dollar event and a drop in ST holders will make walk ups important as the season goes on. Having a quality winning product will help
Even if they are not winning as often as we think they should, playing this kind of exciting hockey will make a big difference. But ofc winning helps even more.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A lot of lamenting around the last 5 minutes. I didn't think it was that bad. Down 3 with 5 to go and PoMo pulls his goalie! Jets give up 2 goals to a very good offensive team with the extra skater. I didn't exactly like it, but give some credit to the opposition. Jets did get 1 back with the EN. Won by 2.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd like to see Chisholm sub in for Schmidt in game 6 or 7.
I'd like to see Chisholm in myself, and I don't think he'd be any worse than Schmidt, who'd paid a lot more than he's worth. Look how well Samberg has fit in, and Chisholm just may surprise some fans. We may not get to see him play, until there's an injury, but then there's Capo as well.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Maybe it’s just me, but Iafallo, Kupari and Villardi are just easier to like than PLD…?
I really like what I've seen from Kupari as well, as he has great speed and saw him rush the net around defenders a couple of times. He made a beautiful play in this game, by the side of the net, didn't panic, and waited for a man to be open, and put it right on Barron's stick for a nice goal. He is a first round pick and could develop into something special for the Jets. May be a steal of a trade deal pulled off by Chevy, and got him for practically "nothing." I very much like that deal Chevy pulled off. Those 3 guys from LA, will collectively way outproduce PLDubois.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nothing against Vilardi but so far I'm liking Iafallo and Kupari even more.

Really liking our F corps so far - all of them.

That is high praise because I really like Vilardi too. At the sake of sounding like a broken record what I like about Iafallo and Kupari is the speed, pressure, and determination. My major complaint about the Jets since about 2019 is that our forwards didn’t defend well enough and our structure lacked integrity most nights because of a lack of buy in. We didn’t seem to compete at at level necessary most nights. We were short on guys like Tanev and Perreault that brought it all the time (and I don’t mean their pest like nature I mean their compete level). To me since the TD last season we have added the right type of players that are more fan friendly. I feel like I am getting my money’s worth as a fan type players.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You remember how long it took me to buy into the team last season? That lasted all the three weeks in the middle of the season. I've bought into this team. They've shown that they can play a sustainable brand of hockey that produces results. They aren't getting by on being buried in their zone and counterattacking. They are showing a tenacity and aggressiveness in the offensive zone that I haven't seen in some time. They just need to upgrade the defense. Pionk or Schmidt has to go. It's that simple.
I'm ready to move on from Schmidt. Maybe they bite the bullet since he's unmoveable and platoon him with Chisholm until Ville gets back? I'm sure he'd be very unhappy but having him as our designated popcorn muncher would actually be a good insurance policy.

What I really want is Capobianco as an everyday player to see what he can do with a string of games but that's not possible due to roster limits

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You guys are crazy. Perfetti is playing great! Solid defence, offence is going to come. 55 points for him is a great year.
I don't think he's been playing great. I'm not at all disappointed with him and like I said there's going to be an adjustment period. He's just not driving offense yet like he did last year.

It'll come. We're going to need him because Schiefele amd Connor aren't going to sustain a gpg each all season.

Reactions: sipowicz

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
As much as I hate waiting 2 days between games, this first week is Bones schedule dream. Play a game, work on stuff in praccy, play a game, repeat.

Really great for reinforcing foundational things.

Good tape to review from the first few games, lots of positive reinforcement and less scolding.

And not a whole lot to pick at considering it's game 1 and 2 of the year. Looking great so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad