Post-Game Talk: Jets 5 - Yotes 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Just got back from seeing my mother. She was a little bit bored after the first period, but she really liked the final outcome. My crushed fingers prove it! Well, at least one of the questions from today's GDT was answered: Has El Nino finally turned the table and is ready to explode? After scoring a hat-trick today, I would have to say yes! As for the other one, we will see if @sipowicz remembers to turn his clocks back tonight... My mother gives this game four hat throws out of five...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

The Prediction Contest for the game against the B-Lose has been posted, so you can start getting your guesses in. Thanks go to @GeorgeJETson for volunteering to make the GDT for the next game on Tuesday. We are all looking forward to it. See you then...
Your mom is wise , the first period was really boring.
Appleton is quietly off to a very good start.
Just need to get better goaltending and we especially need special teams to actually be special.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It really confuses me when people say Connor had an awful game.

Connor is just Connor. He plays pretty much the same way every single game.

The only real difference is, some nights the puck goes in for him and some nights it doesn't.

We just have to understand the player he is and accept it. He's not strong defensively, he conserves his energy for offense. Many of the top scorers in the league play the exact same style.

Instead of complaining about it, we should be happy to have an incredibly predictable, consistent player.

You don't try to turn a Ferrari into a pickup truck. Find ways to put him in positions to succeed, and compliment his play.

I'd be looking to reduce his minutes ever so slightly so he has more gas in the tank when he's on the ice.

We finally have the forward group to do that.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015

The only real difference is, some nights the puck goes in for him and some nights it doesn't.

We just have to understand the player he is and accept it. He's not strong defensively, he conserves his energy for offense. Many of the top scorers in the league play the exact same style.

Instead of complaining about it, we should be happy to have an incredibly predictable, consistent player.

You don't try to turn a Ferrari into a pickup truck. Find ways to put him in positions to succeed, and compliment his play.

I'd be looking to reduce his minutes ever so slightly so he has more gas in the tank when he's on the ice.

I agree but the problem is the coaching staff plays him more than any other player and in all situations including when protecting a lead late in a game. He’s the guy that should miss shifts late in games and be pulled on d zone draws.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

This is largely true. And I am constantly frustrated by him. Every game, for years. Then he scores and I forgive unitl the next shift.

Not my favourite Jet.

Not my favourite, Jet.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaskaJet and Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I agree but the problem is the coaching staff plays him more than any other player and in all situations including when protecting a lead late in a game. He’s the guy that should miss shifts late in games and be pulled on d zone draws.
Right! However, that's not a Kyle Connor problem, that's a coaching problem

This is largely true. And I am constantly frustrated by him. Every game, for years. Then he scores and I forgive unitl the next shift.

Not my favourite Jet.

Not my favourite, Jet.
I've been there haha

Reactions: Buffdog

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Maybe you are right about less minutes, that might help . I don't want him to change to a pickup truck either just maybe use a premium gasoline so he runs a little smoother and has a little more octane in the tank.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and GNP

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
As somebody who didn't want Appleton in the starting lineup; he's been fantastic this season.

Neiderreiter has regained his form the past few games after being a mess the first few. I think he's where he should be lineup wise. That line is crushing it.

He has a concussion, hopeful for next weekend.

Thought Nino was our best player for two games in a row now. It's interesting how good he (and Appleton too) look when on that line with Lowry. They all just play to each others' strengths. That's the one line that should be untouchable right now IMO.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I just don't like the Mark and Kyle duo. I think as the last few years have shown that both are better off separated. Conner plays well with a real play driving center that can tilt the ice. It mitigates his weaknesses. I love Scheifele but he's not a real ice tilter and also benefits from having a winger who tilts the ice for him.

I think we could balance the top 6 a bit better until Vilardi is back.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I just don't like the Mark and Kyle duo. I think as the last few years have shown that both are better off separated. Conner plays well with a real play driving center that can tilt the ice. It mitigates his weaknesses. I love Scheifele but he's not a real ice tilter and also benefits from having a winger who tilts the ice for him.

I agree with this as well.

I guess the point I was trying to make is Connor is the best pure goal scorer we've had on 2.0, and the issues are more with how he's used. That's why I don't get the criticism of him as a player.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
What do you mean wasting a solid bottom 6? The 3rd line was crucial for today’s win.
I think you might have misunderstood my post. I meant the 3 and 4 lines have been great, the so-called finesse players on the 1st and 2nd not so much.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I guess the point I was trying to make is Connor is the best pure goal scorer we've had on 2.0, and the issues are more with how he's used. That's why I don't get the criticism of him as a player.

Yeah, I've stopped complaining about him and have accepted him for what he is. It's about deploying him better for me.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and Jet

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Appleton continued: "If you clean your specials up a little bit, and if we keep playing the way we are 5 on 5, we’re a dang good hockey team and we’re going to win a lot of games this year.”

Dang. Scheifele-approved.

Weird game. Stronger in the 2nd and 3rd on the back of some strong shifts from... every line but the 1st, really.

This is not news, and in some ways I'm happy not to see the rest of the lines messed about with in order to "get the top line going," but on a team with this vaunted depth, there must be a player who can get along with 55 and especially 81 while GV's out.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The coaches need to find a way for scheif and Connor to buy in - every line is playing bones system except the top line and pp1... they are freelancing and it's really noticeable

Reactions: AlaskaJet and GNP

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If we can still win a game without Scheifele and Connor producing and Helly playing just ok that's a very good thing, it's called depth. For years all i read was we only have 2 lines and crap after that and we relied on Helly too much to win games. Well Connor has been awful most games and Helly mediocre and we are in 3rd place in the central. This is a good thing not bad and we are missing a top forward who has basically only played 2 games so far this season.
You could say that what you're likely seeing now, or at least in the last few games, is something like what a rebuild in Wpg would look like and play like.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Lowry asking kachuk (POS), "What are you going to do? You're not going to do anything."
Earlier on, "You guys don't have a fackin guy in your lineup that will fight."
Fackin priceless.
Haven’t had a jersey with a C on it yet. Gonna ask for the “forty-eight” Lowry sweater for Christmas.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

This is where I land too. I get caught up complaining about Connor once in a while but then I think how many scoring wingers out their play a 200 foot game? The thing is he looked like a different player when he was with PLD though. When Pierre was on his game, Connor was a perfect match. I am really enjoying how Schief is playing this season but Connor does not work well with Mark at evens. Don’t know how the coaches can’t see this?

The little we saw of those two with vilardi gives me hope.

I agree I thought Vilardi really meshed well with KC and Schief and hopefully when he gets back they pick up where they left off.

30-40 goal scorers don’t grow on trees and so I just have to get my expectations adjusted.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is where I land too. I get caught up complaining about Connor once in a while but then I think how many scoring wingers out their play a 200 foot game? The thing is he looked like a different player when he was with PLD though. When Pierre was on his meds……I mean on his game he Connor was a perfect match. I am really enjoying how Schief is playing this season but Connor does not work well with Mark at evens. Don’t know how the coaches can’t see this?

I agree I thought Vilardi really meshed well with KC and Schief and hopefully when he gets back they pick up where they left off.

30-40 goal scorers don’t grow on trees and so I just have to get my expectations adjusted.

My guess is they see it but Kyle and Mark want to play together so they likely take that into consideration. I'm starting to think that long term and key players have a lot of pull with regards to how they are used.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
my view on connor - imo if he can become average or not a liability defensively i think that is good enough.

in my view a majority of defense is hustle or effort related. the times he is in position to make a play he comes up supremely soft on. i think just because he's a great goal scorer doesn't just preclude him from showing him some semblance effort or making plays in the defensive end. among the top-50 goal-scorers in the NHL since 2021 - connor is 43rd/45th & scheifele is 46th/46th in xGA/60 / GF%, so they both rank pretty poor compared to other great goal-scorers.

the stack of him and scheifele has never been good in their own end, and iirc 4 (maybe 5 now) of the past 5/6 years is a (-) at 5v5. i think there's a linemate stack that you can find that will mitigate some of the deficiencies of him defensively, ie: similar to what PIT did with Kessell those first couple years. last season i think PLD and KC worked well together, and the top-line w/ scheifele was still really good too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad