Post-Game Talk: Jets 5 - Yotes 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I agree with this as well.

I guess the point I was trying to make is Connor is the best pure goal scorer we've had on 2.0, and the issues are more with how he's used. That's why I don't get the criticism of him as a player.

Agree, but then the issue is how it can possibly be that three coaching staffs in a row -- to borrow from the Ehlers conversation -- have and continue to play him like the defensively reliable, all-situations winger that he clearly isn't?

If he's a pure goal scorer who's weak and disinterested defensively, then play him like one.

I'm not sure they see him that way at all -- or, at least, they haven't always. Here's Maurice on KFC's sterling defence:

Everybody wants to score goals and everybody wants points — but he doesn’t short a backcheck. He doesn’t cheat on a play to get that point. So the defencemen like him too. He’s just darn effective.

Andrew Copp is very strong on the one side defensively but Kyle’s not far off that, with a huge upside to his offence. He’s out of that mix. I bet you I’ve shown that guy nine, 10 defensive video clips since he’s been here. He just picks it up and he goes.

And here's Jack Han and Murat on how to round out KFC's game in 2021:

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Agree, but then the issue is how it can possibly be that three coaching staffs in a row -- to borrow from the Ehlers conversation -- have and continue to play him like the defensively reliable, all-situations winger that he clearly isn't?

[snip]

Yeah, that's why the argument that 'three coaching staffs in a row obviously know something about Ehlers that we don't' doesn't hold a lot of water for me. I think there must be a big element of self-preservation going on with coaching where they are reluctant to upset certain room dynamics and hierarchies. At least I prefer that explanation to blind incompetence.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

If he's a pure goal scorer who's weak and disinterested defensively, then play him like one.

I'm not sure they see him that way at all -- or, at least, they haven't always. Here's Maurice on KFC's sterling defence:

Everybody wants to score goals and everybody wants points — but he doesn’t short a backcheck. He doesn’t cheat on a play to get that point. So the defencemen like him too. He’s just darn effective.

Andrew Copp is very strong on the one side defensively but Kyle’s not far off that, with a huge upside to his offence. He’s out of that mix. I bet you I’ve shown that guy nine, 10 defensive video clips since he’s been here. He just picks it up and he goes.

Yeah I don't know if that's just fluff that coaches say in the media... definitely weird

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

KFC was really good on our PK.. not sure what has happened...

Been around

Jul 16, 2022

Holy blinders lmao...

Seeing that tells me coaches stick their fingers in their ears, close their eyes and sing la la la la la....

Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad