Post-Game Talk: Jets 4- Preds 3 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
You had me until you used sportsnet as a credible source.
The videos look pretty credible. That's what I tune in for. Maybe the sound bites captured from the original broadcast (in which they praise the Jets) are faked?

You have only been on these boards for a couple of years get to my level lol

While your concern for mental health is appreciated, I can assure you across the spectrum of sports all teams have the same "Fans" supporting them.
Agreed, but it varies from team to team. I haven't seen anything here to match our riots when we played Boston in the SC final.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Your point is valid, but I'm still left surprised at all the overwhelming negativity in so many posts.

I would expect things like "glad we won because we sure stunk in the second", instead I'm reading that our Jets are trash, the coach is a rigid idiot with no idea about what he's doing, and [insert player's name] is a disaster and needs to be in the press box.

I won't go so far as to question some posters' mental health (because I'm just a girl and everyone knows that we become totally irrational and lose our minds for a few days each month) but there's evidence aplenty in here of people with real problems.
Thanks for saying exactly what I've been thinking

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Make sense to who? Half the guys on this board keep insisting the coach is rigid or clueless or wrong or stupid or whatever and yet - and yet - teams keep paying them millions of dollars to coach at the nhl level. It's almost like the team owners think these coaches have knowledge and more expertise than the average fan.

The coach shoulda done this, or shoulda done that. This or that proves the coach is wrong, it's real obvious to all of us, everyone says, nobody thinks he should -- it just goes on and on in here.

Yeah, the coaches and GM's are professional hockey men. We should always bow to whatever they do. :sarcasm:
Hmmmm, have you ever criticized Trudeau? Kinew? Stephanson? Pallister? Harper? They are professional politicians and governors. They must know more than you and I.

Of course the politicians, like the hockey men, have biases, blindspots and pressures that pull and push them to make poor decisions.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
yet there he is plain to see....by far the most successful 5v5 player we have had for 8 years. no one is close in actual results.

so watch out for bald coaches.
I swear people just stick their heads in the sand and refuse to acknowledge this.

Yes Ehlers does not play a conventional game, yes he is unpredictable, yes he does stupid shit at times.

Guess what, every result says he is by far our best 5v5 forward, while doing that stuff.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
If a pilot nose dives on approach, pulls out of it at the last second and nearly skids off the runway, sure you could say "we landed safely, isn't that what matters?". But I sure as heck wouldn't be confident in his ability to land it again if I flew with him next week.
I would.

First, I'd recognize that the nose dive was a rare and unexpected occurrence and is not likely to be repeated because pilots have to be licensed and medically certified and reviewed by the airline.

Second, I'd recognize that this pilot has demonstrated exceptional skill and great reactions during an emergency and that if a similar or other kind of emergency should occur, he has proven that he can handle it.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
yet there he is plain to see....by far the most successful 5v5 player we have had for 8 years. no one is close in actual results.

so watch out for bald coaches.
Why 8 years? You’d think he’d be the most successful we’ve ever had. Doubt Bryan Little or Wheeler were better 5v 5

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsUK

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I think Ehlers riverboat gambler shit would be frustrating as hell to coach as well. That is some grade A beer league stuff he does. Its great when it works but man as a coach I would be pulling my hair out.
Sure, very frustrating at times, especially last night, and especially to a traditional, experienced hockey man. But if I could convince you that it resulted in the end in far more goals scored for him and his line than they gave up would you be willing to reconsider your position and save your hair?

And what if I could prove to you that the seemingly less risky "star" actually gave up more goals than he scored?

The conventional way isn't always the best way, but it seems that hockey coaching changes slowly.

Last edited:

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Fun fact: that's not how Latin words work... if you shortern fanatic to fan it has a completely different context - a much more moderate one actually
I think your confusing etomology with truncation.

He said fan is derived from fanatic, not shortened from it.

Reactions: Inanna

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
You're forgetting about Lee stempniak

Yes but he's misinterpreting the origin of fan - it's a more moderate form of fanatic not a shortened form - of course these things are always debatable

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Yeah, the coaches and GM's are professional hockey men. We should always bow to whatever they do. :sarcasm:
Hmmmm, have you ever criticized Trudeau? Kinew? Stephanson? Pallister? Harper? They are professional politicians and governors. They must know more than you and I.

Of course the politicians, like the hockey men, have biases, blindspots and pressures that pull and push them to make poor decisions.
Apples and oranges.

Replace the word 'politicians' with surgeons and try your argument again.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
You're forgetting about Lee stempniak

Yes but he's misinterpreting the origin of fan - it's a more moderate form of fanatic not a shortened form - of course these things are always debatable
Why debate anything when we have the All-Knowing internet to provide answers, to wit:

Fan comes from the Modern Latin fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired".[1] The word originally pertained to a temple or sacred place [Latin fanum, poetic English fane]. The modern sense of "extremely zealous" dates from around 1647; the use of fanatic as a noun dates from 1650. However, the term "fancy" for an intense liking of something (a usage attested by 1545),[2] while being of a different etymology, coincidentally carries a less intense but somewhat similar connotation to "fanatic".

I fancy I'll go do something useful now...

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Couldn't agree more on the PP
Not sure about quick exits and transitioning (I assume out of our Dzone) - I like the concept but don't see that as one of our strenghts.
Our blueline do not transition well and I don't recall them ever being very good at that.

I do recall our Nzone transition game being very good and a huge part of our early season success - our forwards (when they feel up to it) can turn plays around quickly in the nzone and that takes the wind out of your apponents sails in a hurry.

IDK - I guess I've seen what a difference there is in our success when we play a more complete 5 man dgame - especially when they are breaking up plays before we get bogged down in our end. I'm not that confident that we will get to a point (soon) where our D are transitioning quicky and effectively out of our zone - IMO.

Not to say that I wouldn't like to see quick exits and transition . . .
Just a quick comment and of course it's only my opinion but it appears to me that since, say, the all-star break, when things are tightening up a tad, theJets' opposition has been forechecking differently. Most are putting early and a lot of pressure on our D-men in our zone and aside from Morrissey, the D is not up to the task a lot of the time.

Reactions: LowLefty

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Hamilton was strongly hinting at it being the case a week or two ago on WST. I was surprised at how strongly it was inferred when he said it.
I think that happens with all teams but if he is hinting at it then there is smoke and a fire plus some 'coaches' decisions just fail to pass the eye test

Time will tell
I like your optimism. Perhaps, I am just trying to save myself from being to disappointed but the trends are concerning.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I still really don't see a reason for Fly to stick around here. His game isn't really appreciated and there are real consequences for him when the coach isn't happy with his game. This isn't the case with the other skilled guys in the team. Mark Scheifele was also called out for lack of production but nothing was ever going to happen to his deployment.

It's a bit different for a young player like Perfetti. It's clear that Bones is taking a much different approach to development with Cole then what Maurice did with the young skilled guys that broke in under him. He's clearly being extra hard on him and less forgiving of mistakes to hammer home the defensive foundation he wants him to have. I think he wants him to be more Hintz then Connor for instance. My issue with this is I would wager it is much easier to mold those habits if his role models on the team where held to that higher standard and setting a good example. Instead we have a situation where he sees first hand that most other skilled players can make defensive mistakes/play lazy defensive hockey without repricussions. I think the question will be what comes first, the coach being satisfied enough or the player growing frustrated with the double standard.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Not that this is interesting to anyone else but I find this odd. Etymology is often confused with entomology. Both are dear to my heart, but this is the first time I've seen etomology, the perfect hybrid between the two. I know it's just a typo but it caught my eye.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
This is a bad take and you should be corrected.

I'm not some hockey crazy guy here where I watch hockey nine hours a day studying other teams. Even so, it's fairly easy to see that all the other teams in the playoffs have deficiencies too. Dallas has a garbage goalie among other issues, Colorado has a crappy goalie and little depth, Edmonton bad defence, bad goalie and no depth...etc...the list goes on. Even their fans admit to this stuff. Jets are no different.
I think you missed the point. I agree other playoff teams have deficiencies. I obviously am more aware of the Jets issues but my take is i would rather be a lottery team than stuck in the middle. The fact is only a handful of teams are truly contenders. The west is wide open but the Jets have not faired well vs the Stars despite their crappy goaltending( which his not really that bad with Ottinger having 33 wins vs Helly's 35). His save percentage is lower than Helly's but Dallas has outplayed WPG every game thus far. The issue is not teams having deficiencies (all do) but how the Jets deficiencies will affect them playing Col and Dal just to get to the WCF.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Just a quick comment and of course it's only my opinion but it appears to me that since, say, the all-star break, when things are tightening up a tad, theJets' opposition has been forechecking differently. Most are putting early and a lot of pressure on our D-men in our zone and aside from Morrissey, the D is not up to the task a lot of the time.
Yeah - I agree
IMO, our D is our weakness - and they only look good if we are playing a highly defensive structure (5man).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Fire the coaching staff right now 48-24-6 is a awful record, release Connor and Scheifele and play Perfetti and Ehlers 30 minutes a night and we win the Cup . :laugh:

I don't believe anyone said that. I think people would just like equal accountability across the board.

Also both players are big reasons for our record. Their contributions shouldn't get overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad