Post-Game Talk: Jets 4- Preds 3 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't believe anyone said that. I think people would just like equal accountability across the board.

Also both players are big reasons for our record. Their contributions shouldn't get overlooked.
Oh i know nobody said that but it really sounds like that sometimes in here. Bowness isn't the best coach out there but we've had a very good season and i don't think any other coach would get more out of this team. Besides i really don't think Bowness will be back next season even if we win the Cup .

Reactions: surixon

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think that happens with all teams but if he is hinting at it then there is smoke and a fire plus some 'coaches' decisions just fail to pass the eye test

I like your optimism. Perhaps, I am just trying to save myself from being to disappointed but the trends are concerning.
The trend I like is that we went from playing poorly and losing to playing poorly and finding a way to win

We've won 4 in a row, but you would never know it

What I don't understand is that the same people who are pissed that we played poorly and won are usually pissed if we played well and lost

Reactions: Jet and Stumbledore

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Did you really think I was saying that surgeons never make a mistake? Because I still don't see a thesis in your response.

That was basically the thesis I guess. Mostly just a slightly humorous jab. I mean yeah the point is nobody is perfect. I think on a pro sport forum coaches are perfectly fair game for scrutiny and debate. As is most everything else.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The trend I like is that we went from playing poorly and losing to playing poorly and finding a way to win

We've won 4 in a row, but you would never know it

What I don't understand is that the same people who are pissed that we played poorly and won are usually pissed if we played well and lost
I totally understand we have weakness's with this team , there isn't 1 single team in the NHL that doesn't and i totally understand pointing those weakness's out but i think we sometimes overlook the very good season we are having.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
ok, so just to be clear...no criticism of coaching here. And no negativity. How bout the GM? Can we criticize the GM?? C'mon we gotta have something! Ownership???

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Why 8 years? You’d think he’d be the most successful we’ve ever had. Doubt Bryan Little or Wheeler were better 5v 5
Top 5 Jets 5v5 G/60 Seasons since 2011-12:
SeasonPlayerGoals/60
2021-22Kyle Connor1.35
2021-22Nikolaj Ehlers1.32
2023-24Kyle Connor1.26
2017-18Patrik Laine1.26
2016-17Patrik Laine1.22

Top 5 Jets 5v5 P/60 Seasons since 2011-12:
SeasonPlayerTotal Points/60
2022-23Nikolaj Ehlers2.73
2019-20Nikolaj Ehlers2.72
2012-13Andrew Ladd2.63
2021-22Nikolaj Ehlers2.57
2016-17Mark Scheifele2.55

Top 5 Jets 5v5 Primary Points/60 Seasons since 2011-12:
PlayerPrimary Points/60
2022-23Nikolaj Ehlers2.29
2019-20Nikolaj Ehlers2.25
2021-22Nikolaj Ehlers2.24
2015-16Blake Wheeler2.18
2015-16Mark Scheifele2.04

Top 5 Jets 5v5 Penalty Differential/60 Seasons since 2011-12:
5v5PlayerPenalty Differential/60
2022-23Nikolaj Ehlers1.31
2020-21Nikolaj Ehlers1.26
2016-17Brandon Tanev1.20
2018-19Nikolaj Ehlers1.11
2014-15Mark Scheifele1.10
(Ehlers is also 6th, 8th, 9th and 11th) - for those not old enough to remember, it used to be a good thing when the Jets got a powerplay... :sarcasm:

Ah, but it's not all rosy for Ehlers. He's got the worst Giveaway/60 season since 2011-12:
5v5PlayerGiveaways/60
2017-18Nikolaj Ehlers3.03
2019-20Patrik Laine2.72
2021-22Mark Scheifele2.66
2016-17Patrik Laine2.66
2016-17Drew Stafford2.65
His current season is 11th in Giveaways/60.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I totally understand we have weakness's with this team , there isn't 1 single team in the NHL that doesn't and i totally understand pointing those weakness's out but i think we sometimes overlook the very good season we are having.

Yeah, it's been a pretty good season overall....lots of wins. That's awesome. I think a number of us are really hoping to get past the first round of the playoffs though. And there's some reason to think that might not happen with this crew...but we're gonna find out. At least we're in...

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The next coaching job that comes available in the NHL ... I'm 100% positive that GM will be coming here to hire his next coach from this forum.:D
He is going to have to do his homework thou lots of good candidates to pick from.:huh::laugh:
Not me that's for sure .:laugh: I want the Jets to win.:laugh:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I still really don't see a reason for Fly to stick around here. His game isn't really appreciated and there are real consequences for him when the coach isn't happy with his game. This isn't the case with the other skilled guys in the team. Mark Scheifele was also called out for lack of production but nothing was ever going to happen to his deployment.

It's a bit different for a young player like Perfetti. It's clear that Bones is taking a much different approach to development with Cole then what Maurice did with the young skilled guys that broke in under him. He's clearly being extra hard on him and less forgiving of mistakes to hammer home the defensive foundation he wants him to have. I think he wants him to be more Hintz then Connor for instance. My issue with this is I would wager it is much easier to mold those habits if his role models on the team where held to that higher standard and setting a good example. Instead we have a situation where he sees first hand that most other skilled players can make defensive mistakes/play lazy defensive hockey without repricussions. I think the question will be what comes first, the coach being satisfied enough or the player growing frustrated with the double standard.

This!!

If I could like more times I would.

The double standards and selective accountability would be infuriating to an Ehlers and at least frustrating and confusing to Cole. Being held to a completely different standard is not how you teach.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Why 8 years? You’d think he’d be the most successful we’ve ever had. Doubt Bryan Little or Wheeler were better 5v 5
wheeler i think 15-16 is up there.

this year in terms of a combo of 5v5 goal differential (im calling it 5v5 +/- for keystrokes sake lol) (1st, +27), total points (1st, 43 pts) or pts/60 (1st, 2.53), ehlers has been our most effective fwd at 5v5. the difference in goal-differential is stark. he's basically 2x our next highest fwd (Lowry and Perfetti at +14), and +29 from the lowest of the "regulars" at fwd in KC (excluding Gustafsson here who would be the absolute lowest). quick illustration
1712783145502.png

per-60 stats for +/- might be a bit helpful in regards to some of the players who have been here for limited time or injuries. Obviously for the TDL guys, esp. Toffoli 1 GF or GA has a large swing on the rate though.

edit: didn't realize he actually ranks 6th in the league at Fwd for 5v5 +/- behind Hyman, Mackinnon, Matthews, Mcdavid and Aho. off quick glance Mackinnon, Matthews and Eberle have similar gaps from 2nd placed fwds on their teams.

Last edited:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Fire the coaching staff right now 48-24-6 is a awful record, release Connor and Scheifele and play Perfetti and Ehlers 30 minutes a night and we win the Cup . :laugh:
So missing the point. You could be better if you maximized the amount you get out of Ehlers and Perfetti along with accommodating Scheif and Connor. Holding them all to a high standard would make everyone better and solidify the culture in the room

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
ok, so just to be clear...no criticism of coaching here. And no negativity. How bout the GM? Can we criticize the GM?? C'mon we gotta have something! Ownership???
You can criticize anybody you like. Let her rip!

Not that it matters, but I was originally responding to: "Yeah, the coaches and GM's are professional hockey men. We should always bow to whatever they do."

I don't think you bow to them. I don't think they never make mistakes. What I do think is that when you hire professional expertise (btw, you don't hire politicians, you hold your nose and pick the one you hate the least), your stupid not to take the advice you're paying for. Full disclosure, I had my share of clients who paid me handsomely and didn't follow my advice and ended up worse off for it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So missing the point. You could be better if you maximized the amount you get out of Ehlers and Perfetti along with accommodating Scheif and Connor. Holding them all to a high standard would make everyone better and solidify the culture in the room

It's the teams that do this that are the teams that ultimately win the cups. Holding everyone to a high standard is what is required.

Reactions: hn777 and NA Hockey

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I won't go so far as to question some posters' mental health (because I'm just a girl and everyone knows that we become totally irrational and lose our minds for a few days each month) but there's evidence aplenty in here of people with real problems.

HFJets the only place where you come in to talk hockey and leave with diagnosis of "mental health issues" and having "real problems".:laugh: With the acute shortage of mental health professionals maybe Trudeau should make an HFJets account for every Canadian to get free diagnosis and save on the healthcare budget. :sarcasm:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
We're currently on the second longest winning streak (4) of all teams in a playoff spot (Isles have won 5 in a row). Last night wasn't the prettiest but there are going to be games like that where you find a way to win if you're gonna make a run in the playoffs.

With the cap and the resulting parity in the league, it's completely unrealistic to expect to dominate every game and win.

As for the lines, ESV has had their shit pushed in vs the two playoff teams they've faced. Supporters have moved the goalposts (big surprise) and said "well, they did better than CSV". But that wasn't the promise. "ESV is a dominant top line that will win their matchups and give us a better chance to win games! Just look at these spreadsheets!" That's what we were all told

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I agree but it's tough to do with your #1 center and still be competitive. Bowness at the very least has shown he was willing to move Connor away from Scheifele even for a short time. One thing we absolutely do know is we need Scheifele to win games, look how bad we have been without him in the playoffs. But i do agree with your point.

Reactions: NA Hockey

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We're currently on the second longest winning streak (4) of all teams in a playoff spot (Isles have won 5 in a row). Last night wasn't the prettiest but there are going to be games like that where you find a way to win if you're gonna make a run in the playoffs.

With the cap and the resulting parity in the league, it's completely unrealistic to expect to dominate every game and win.

As for the lines, ESV has had their shit pushed in vs the two playoff teams they've faced. Supporters have moved the goalposts (big surprise) and said "well, they did better than CSV". But that wasn't the promise. "ESV is a dominant top line that will win their matchups and give us a better chance to win games! Just look at these spreadsheets!" That's what we were all told
"Wasn't the prettiest" is certainly a way to describe one of the worst games the Jets have played all season. Blew a 2 goal lead in the third and almost lost but for the grace of Hellebuyck...but hey, relax, 2 points is 2 points. Ehlers and Perfetti are back in the doghouse and the league's worst top line has been reunited.

Rejoice, Jets fans...our salvation is near! ;)

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
"Wasn't the prettiest" is certainly a way to describe one of the worst games the Jets have played all season. Blew a 2 goal lead in the third and almost lost but for the grace of Hellebuyck...but hey, relax, 2 points is 2 points. Ehlers and Perfetti are back in the doghouse and the league's worst top line has been reunited.

1000027021.jpg

Some people focus on the positives, some focus on the negatives

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

How are we 2 wins away from 50 this season though? I love Ehlers but he was absolutely horrible last night, i'm only saying last night but he was awful. I agree Bowness falls back on Scheifele and Connor a little too much but last night Bowness had to make a change. I actually thought Connor played pretty good last night .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad