Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NSH] Ryan McDonagh and 2024 4th round pick for 2025 2nd and 2024 7th round picks

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
What a dumb move by the Preds.

I understand that it's not 2019 anymore and McD also has a NTC, but if all you're going to get is pocket change, might as well keep a good veteran.

Plus next year he'll be even more useful as his NTC becomes a M-NTC.

Amateur hour at Trotz' office.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

I understand that it's not 2019 anymore and McD also has a NTC, but if all you're going to get is pocket change, might as well keep a good veteran.

We're in the middle of a rebuild it's not dumb to add another 2nd for a 35 year old who would rather be in Tampa. We're saving cap space for a big move and we have three LHD prospects ready to challenge for his spot.

We'll now have 3 1sts and 5 2nds this year and next and our defense will get younger.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021

He'll be 35 at the beginning of the season and will most likely be retired by the time Nashville becomes a real contender again. Why hold on to a veteran player for a team that isn't a contender? Especially when you can get a pick and dump the whole contract.

Amateur hour at HF.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I am confused lmaoooo

Why did we trade him in the first place just to bring him back? What are we even doing? lol

He was, Because he loved it here and kinda came out of left field.
And why did Nashville acquire him only to trade him back. And why is everyone saying this is a good move for both teams?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

He asked for a trade.

Reactions: Softball99

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I'm sure Tampa made the move because they have something else in the works as well, but right now Tampa's bottom 6 looks awful next year.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I strongly disagree. Really like McD as a player - but he's making $6.75M. He's essentially replacing SS on the roster, and the Lightning now have to try and replace SS with a $2M player.

Lightning keep thinking that they can have half the roster making the league minimum, which IMO is a fundamental problem.
I don’t think this means Stamkos is for sure gone. Also, the offseason hasn’t even started yet. They can still make other roster moves.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Maybe Cernak... Injuries/hits taking a toll.. risk factor
Cernak will be a lot harder to move. He'd have to waive his NTC.

AC still has pretty good perceivable value and his NTC doesn't kick in until next year.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Trading Cirelli is gonna be harder than you think. Not a lot of teams are in need of 6.25 million 40 point player. I know he’s great defensively but 6.25 for 6 more year isn’t appealing
It is for a lot of teams that want to contend in the playoffs. Buffalo fans here have offered exactly what I described in the previous post, just to give an example.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
And why did Nashville acquire him only to trade him back. And why is everyone saying this is a good move for both teams?
How is it not? Nashville cleared over $6 mil in cap and gained a good pick for a 35 year old. Tampa got back a good vet D

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Cernak will be a lot harder to move. He'd have to waive his NTC.

AC still has pretty good perceivable value and his NTC doesn't kick in until next year.
Cirelli would get a nice return and would put the bolts up to around 11 mill assuming it's just futures.

Habs would/should be interested in him along with pretty much every other team.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
None of the draft picks they gave up in either 2024 or 2025 had any impact on them winning cups.
And none of them will help the team in its current window to try and win another with this core. None of those picks were helping until 27 or '28, if even then,.so Brisebois did what he feels gives them the best chance now(outside of the Jeannot trade of course, they've mostly been successful).

Cirelli would get a nice return and would put the bolts up to around 11 mill assuming it's just futures.

Habs would/should be interested in him along with pretty much every other team.
And weakens thelr top 6 even further, so it's unlikely. They can trade several lesser contracts to add space for Stamkos and a couple other smaller contracts, even after factoring in the replacement costs for guys like Jeannot, Sheary, and maybe Perbix.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I don’t think this means Stamkos is for sure gone. Also, the offseason hasn’t even started yet. They can still make other roster moves.
Agree it's not "For sure".

That said realistically you're looking at:
Cirelli (7x $6.3M)
Hagel (8x $6.5M)
Paul (5x $3.2M)
Jeannot (1x $2.7M)
Sheary (2x $2M)

Sergachev (7x $8.5M)
Cernak (7 x $5.2M)

Defensemen - I don't think that TB can afford to move either MS/EC because they'd be right back to where they were this year with a quality top 3 and a Salvation Army bottom 3.

Minor moves - Jeannot/Sheary only frees up $1-1.5M of space as you have to replace that player on the roster, and Paul would only free up $2M.

Major moves: That leaves Cirelli or Hagel, and with 7 x 6.3M left - does Cirreli have value?

Reactions: SI90

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Wait. I thought Hanifin could be signed for free so why offer more than a throwaway prospect and late pick for him? It's always funny when teams think they will sign a UFA.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Trading Cirelli is gonna be harder than you think. Not a lot of teams are in need of 6.25 million 40 point player. I know he’s great defensively but 6.25 for 6 more year isn’t appealing
It'll be easier than you think. He's a younger but not quite as good version of Danault who's always in demand. He may not be desired by some of the capped-out cup contenders, but teams that're looking to take the next step would love to have him. Teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, Chicago, Utah.

Hell, if the Leafs dump Marner and Tavares (or JT re-signs at a much lower cap hit) I'd love to add Cirelli to the middle 6. Teams love winners that play responsible hockey

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
Agree it's not "For sure".

That said realistically you're looking at:
Cirelli (7x $6.3M)
Hagel (8x $6.5M)
Paul (5x $3.2M)
Jeannot (1x $2.7M)
Sheary (2x $2M)

Sergachev (7x $8.5M)
Cernak (7 x $5.2M)

Defensemen - I don't think that TB can afford to move either MS/EC because they'd be right back to where they were this year with a quality top 3 and a Salvation Army bottom 3.

Minor moves - Jeannot/Sheary only frees up $1-1.5M of space as you have to replace that player on the roster, and Paul would only free up $2M.

Major moves: That leaves Cirelli or Hagel, and with 7 x 6.3M left - does Cirreli have value?

You really seem to be under the impression that Cirelli doesn’t have value to a team like Buffalo or Ottawa. Which clearly isn’t true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad