Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Buffalo 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Helle stole one for us there but I thought the bottom six kept us in the game. Nothing fancy but pushed back against the Sabres attack and tipped the ice back to a neutral plane. Otherwise that momentum would have been more consistent and overwhelming but they allowed the rest of the team to breathe. That is a refreshing change from what the Jets have looked like over the last ten years

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Fundamentals were a result of the 3 first goals tonight. All on faceoff wins and losses. I know people love the Connor-Dubois-Ehlers line because they can dazzle with skill, but they have some real deficiencies defending so far. Tonight's GWG could have easily been a game losing shift, I mean there's Samberg on the boards in a battle, Dubois engaged as well, and Josh goes into the same board battle to finish a check which leaves the front of the net wide open, without the winger support, and through the grace of God, Hellebuyck's ability to stretch out to the far post, and a good recovery effort from Samberg, that puck doesn't go in, and then ends up as breakaway for the winning goal. I thought Dubois had some very rough shifts in his own end tonight. For me Adam Lowry was the one centre who was noticeable all game. Loved the physicality out there. Battle level was high.

I have to give Wheels some credit, he isn't fast anymore, but going to the net was the reason for the opening goal. Out there blocking shots, diving in the crease, and making moves too. The old guy can still play.

I also liked Maenalanen's game tonight, for his first game back, he was strong on the puck, and strong on the boards. I think that's the absolute opposite of AJF, who I noticed sat a lot at the end. He was careless with the puck for a couple of bad turnovers, soft on the board battles, and not really physically engaged in coverage either, which created the tying goal. His saving grace is being able to skate fast enough to win a breakaway or negate an icing or two. If someone comes out of the lineup for Barron coming back, I'd probably take him out before Kuhlman, who at least was battling out there tonight.

This was a big win against a good Sabres team. Hellebuyck's ability to bounce back from rough outings is a godsend for this team.

Tomorrow's game might be a tough one, I don't expect the team to have the legs, but there's still a good chance to get out of a hard week's work at .500 because of the perseverance tonight.
I don't know. AJF is a bit of an enigma for me. I feel like there's a really good player right below the surface.

True, he had some gaffes last night but he also gave Buffalo fits on puck retrieval in their own zone.

He might be top 5 straight line skaters in the league and he seems to have unmatched endurance. Even at the end of his shifts he finds that extra gear.

He also has a very heavy shot, though accuracy is an issue.

I think he's a worthwhile project, but I see the potential tough decisions with our bottom 4 forwards, as they all have distinct attributes.

I really with Stenner would have buried that tap in chance he had, I really like him as a player.

Maenalanen is such a luxury to have. I really don't know why Carolina let him go. He is mature in all aspects, if Vesalainen played with the intensity of Big Sak, he'd be a top 6 power forward in this league.

I don't know how I feel about Kuhlman. He battles really hard but oftentimes he makes poor decisions with the puck.

The good news is, once the rosters expand we can carry a bunch of these guys and plug and play them.

I'd scratch Gagner tonight, as I think his main issue is endurance. His game seems to fall off a cliff as his minutes goes up. I don't know if it's fitness or simply age.

Reactions: voyageur and Inanna

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Can we talk about the Buffalo Sabres for a minute? Man they have an embarrassment of riches. I could see this group winning Buffalo's very first Stanley Cup within the next 3 years, once they get more experience.

I don't really see the weakness in their lineup (outside of goaltending which I think is a bit of a question mark). Maybe the man with 6 K's in his name will be the guy.

You look at their D, forward group, theres such a great mix of size, elite skill and speed. I'd be very excited if I was a Sabres fan.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can we talk about the Buffalo Sabres for a minute? Man they have an embarrassment of riches. I could see this group winning Buffalo's very first Stanley Cup within the next 3 years, once they get more experience.

I don't really see the weakness in their lineup (outside of goaltending which I think is a bit of a question mark). Maybe the man with 6 K's in his name will be the guy.

You look at their D, forward group, theres such a great mix of size, elite skill and speed. I'd be very excited if I was a Sabres fan.

They seem to have gotten it right on this version of their rebuild. I'm happy for their fans who have suffered enough over the last decade plus.

Not that I'm happy with how we've played the last few but neither Buffalo or Detroit are bottom feeders any longer. They are both good young teams on the rise and both are still in the playoff mix. I see Buffalo jumping into a playoff spot next year ala NJ has this year. I think there is going to be a changing of the guard in the Eastern Conference over the next few years.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They seem to have gotten it right on this version of their rebuild. I'm happy for their fans who have suffered enough over the last decade plus.

Not that I'm happy with how we've played the last few but neither Buffalo or Detroit are bottom feeders any longer. They are both good young teams on the rise and both are still in the playoff mix. I see Buffalo jumping into a playoff spot next year ala NJ has this year. I think there is going to be a changing of the guard in the Eastern Conference over the next few years.
I think Habs fans who are delusional and think they are going to be at the top of the Eastern Conference are going to be in for a nasty surprise. The Canadiens have some nice pieces but they look more like the Oilers than a team like the Sabres.

The Lightning and Pens are at minimum going to have to do a rebuild of sorts soon. Ottawa, Buffalo and the Red Wings are looking poised to ascend in the conference. Jersey looks strong. The Rangers would be scary if they could ever figure out how to develop their forwards they draft.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Habs fans who are delusional and think they are going to be at the top of the Eastern Conference are going to be in for a nasty surprise. The Canadiens have some nice pieces but they look more like the Oilers than a team like the Sabres.

The Lightning and Pens are at minimum going to have to do a rebuild of sorts soon. Ottawa, Buffalo and the Red Wings are looking poised to ascend in the conference. Jersey looks strong. The Rangers would be scary if they could ever figure out how to develop their forwards they draft.

Yeah I expect Pittaburfh and Washington to fall off over the next few seasons and perhaps the Bruins.

I just don't see it with the Habs. The pieces they have aren't star caliber pieces, they are merely good top 6, bottom 4 pieces.

Reactions: SLAYER and Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah I expect Pittaburfh and Washington to fall off over the next few seasons and perhaps the Bruins.

I just don't see it with the Habs. The pieces they have aren't star caliber pieces, they are merely good top 6, bottom 4 pieces.
Yeah they are so boned up over slajofsky(sp) but I could see that player going either way at this point.

I really REALLY don't want them to win the Bedard sweeps

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Enough of the wild ride. Bones needs to get the team playing back the way they were during the 5 game winning streak. Much more structured, lower event hockey. We know they are capable of it based on 3 months worth of evidence. Might as well start tonight on the 2nd 1/2 of a B2B with the backup in net.

Yeah they are so boned up over slajofsky(sp) but I could see that player going either way at this point.

I really REALLY don't want them to win the Bedard sweeps
Habs fans have become intolerable. They are just as bad as Leafs fans now. I'd like to see them suck indefinitely, and no Bedard for them.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Lowry was great, still doesn’t get enough credit. The game is more than goals and assists.

Perfetti did look very slow and his timing just wasn’t there.

PLD looked amazing in Detroit and meh last night.

Reactions: Stumbledore

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Enough of the wild ride. Bones needs to get the team playing back the way they were during the 5 game winning streak. Much more structured, lower event hockey. We know they are capable of it based on 3 months worth of evidence. Might as well start tonight on the 2nd 1/2 of a B2B with the backup in net.
I completely agree with this -
I'm a bit concerned with the recent change in our defensive approach - I hope the guys are not under the impression that they are a goal scoring power house that can outscore the competition every night.
I'm starting to get that impression watching our top 6 lately - I don't have nearly the same concern with how our bottom 6 is playing.

I think it's fairly obvious that if we open up too much, our d struggle - they need help, especially in their zone.
I don't want to make assumptions based on a couple of games - but I would like to see Bones reinforce the message that had the guys need to be on the same page (defensively) in the games you noted. We appear to be wondering off course a bit.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I completely agree with this -
I'm a bit concerned with the recent change in our defensive approach - I hope the guys are not under the impression that they are a goal scoring power house that can outscore the competition every night.
I'm starting to get that impression watching our top 6 lately - I don't have nearly the same concern with how our bottom 6 is playing.

I think it's fairly obvious that if we open up too much, our d struggle - they need help, especially in their zone.
I don't want to make assumptions based on a couple of games - but I would like to see Bones reinforce the message that had the guys need to be on the same page (defensively) in the games you noted. We appear to be wondering off course a bit.
Agreed, sometimes when point getters get hot in the offensive zone they start hunting for chances rather than focusing on defensive details. It has only been a couple games so Bones should be able to reign it in. Tired legs tonight might reinforce this a bit.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think a lot of the lapses are guys in and out of the lineup and players that haven't played for a long time. It took them a bit at the start of the season to get it together and I was expecting the same once everyone came back.

I imagine after a few more games and some practice time they settle down again and we see them back to what they where before the injuries

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Lowry was great, still doesn’t get enough credit. The game is more than goals and assists.

Perfetti did look very slow and his timing just wasn’t there.

PLD looked amazing in Detroit and meh last night.
WHAT?

PLD was an absolute beast last night. He almost willed the puck into the net on a couple of occasions. I thought he was our best forward.

No one should have to hear that voice doing a goal call.
Worst in the history of hockey.
I'll take a Leah Hextall goal call over that.
Yikes.
I used to absolutely HATE his voice. He's starting to become a Jeanerette kind of voice for me now, one that has an awful tonal quality but is familiar and unique. Can't say I'd listen to him if I had other options but I don't hate it anymore.

I really want Dan Robertson to get more familiar with the team. I love his voice, and he seems to have less crutches than Beyak but he often misidentifies players on the ice. I think he'll improve on that with time. I could see him confusing Wheeler with Stenlund, but Perfetti with Connor?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed, sometimes when point getters get hot in the offensive zone they start hunting for chances rather than focusing on defensive details. It has only been a couple games so Bones should be able to reign it in. Tired legs tonight might reinforce this a bit.

Yeah I've found Dubois, Conner, Scheifele to have been a bit too loose in their end lately. I'll cut Ehelers some slack as he's barely played the system sue to missing almost the entire year to date. All need to tighten up defensively.

When they do it allows our dmen to just do their jobs. What I've seen lately is the dmen are trying to do too much and they are getting pulled out of position as such. Strong defensive guys like DeMelo, JoMo, and Dillion have all been guilty of this.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah I've found Dubois, Conner, Scheifele to have been a bit too loose in their end lately. I'll cut Ehelers some slack as he's barely played the system sue to missing almost the entire year to date. All need to tighten up defensively.

When they do it allows our dmen to just do their jobs. What I've seen lately is the dmen are trying to do too much and they are getting pulled out of position as such. Strong defensive guys like DeMelo, JoMo, and Dillion have all been guilty of this.
I really don't like 81 80 and 27 as a line. I just think it's a bit of a waste of talent, and not the greatest defensively.

I'd really give Maenalanen an extended audition with 80 and 81. I think he could be the defensive conscience of that line, do a lot of grunt work along the boards offensively, and he has a heavy shot.

That would free up Fly to play with Scheifele. I think Ehlers likes playing his offside offensively, so Perfetti could stay on that line. However, I think you run into the same problem of having a line that can get exposed defensively. Maybe we try to get Barron up there when he returns, and create a soft 3rd scoring line? Wheeler, Perfetti and??? Then you could have Lowry, Appleton and winger de jour to round out the 4th line - making them a true shutdown group.

You could roll those lines fairly equally (game situation dependent).

EDIT: I realize I was really lazy with handedness so I might have some of that messed up :P

I guess I'm advocating for what a lot of people have been asking for for a long time - 3 scoring lines and a shutdown line.

To really pull it off I think we need to pick up another top 6 guy but I do believe we have some really nice balance in our forward group now, especially when everyone returns to health

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I really don't like 81 80 and 27 as a line. I just think it's a bit of a waste of talent, and not the greatest defensively.

I'd really give Maenalanen an extended audition with 80 and 81. I think he could be the defensive conscience of that line, do a lot of grunt work along the boards offensively, and he has a heavy shot.

That would free up Fly to play with Scheifele. I think Ehlers likes playing his offside offensively, so Perfetti could stay on that line. However, I think you run into the same problem of having a line that can get exposed defensively. Maybe we try to get Barron up there when he returns, and create a soft 3rd scoring line? Wheeler, Perfetti and??? Then you could have Lowry, Appleton and winger de jour to round out the 4th line - making them a true shutdown group.

You could roll those lines fairly equally (game situation dependent).
You can also form power lines if behind in 3rd and chasing the game. I think Ehlers and kfc are also not at their best together to often deferring to the other guy when usually they’d just try to do it themselves which has created some confusion and broken plays.

Reactions: Jet

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
WHAT?

PLD was an absolute beast last night. He almost willed the puck into the net on a couple of occasions. I thought he was our best forward.

I used to absolutely HATE his voice. He's starting to become a Jeanerette kind of voice for me now, one that has an awful tonal quality but is familiar and unique. Can't say I'd listen to him if I had other options but I don't hate it anymore.

I really want Dan Robertson to get more familiar with the team. I love his voice, and he seems to have less crutches than Beyak but he often misidentifies players on the ice. I think he'll improve on that with time. I could see him confusing Wheeler with Stenlund, but Perfetti with Connor?
Jeanerette is one of the greatest play-by-play announcers of all time with a dozen+ hall of fame level goal calls.
Our radio guy sounds like someone having an aneurysm while they are backing up over a cat in the driveway.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Habs fans have become intolerable. They are just as bad as Leafs fans now. I'd like to see them suck indefinitely, and no Bedard for them.
Or PLD
And as I said before if we lose PLD I hope and pray he becomes a Bruin

Reactions: RabidOne

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Agreed

They have reintegrated some scoring skill and we re in transition to get back to better structure. What I am at peace with is we have the coaching staff and the player buy in to get back to a tighter game, it will just take a bit of adjustment.

In the meantime we have this phenomenal asset between the pipes that can just reach out and grab us 2 points. It is so beautifully predictable how he responds after a bad game.

Reactions: KingBogo

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Jeanerette is one of the greatest play-by-play announcers of all time with a dozen+ hall of fame level goal calls.
Our radio guy sounds like someone having an aneurysm while they are backing up over a cat in the driveway.
I qualified my statement pretty clearly.

I did not = him to Jeanerette

Agreed

They have reintegrated some scoring skill and and in transition to get back to better structure. What I am at peace with is we have the coaching staff and the player buy in to get back to a tighter game it will just take a bit of adjustment.

In the meantime we have this phenomenal asset between the pipes that can just reach out and grab us 2 points. It is so beautifully predictable how he responds after a bad game.
Agreed. I just wanted to continue the agreed chain :P

• Haha
Reactions: ps241
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad